Why are so few playing this online?

I no longer play this SP due to the AI being able to see through cover (total game-killing travesty). But if enough people were playing online the AI wouldn't be needed. So what other reasons are there? Because so far as I've seen, TC is the best WW2 tank vs tank simulator currently available (Post Scriptum and Hell Let Loose are arcade trash). Obviously it needs a hell of a lot of further work but I'm not seeing what's putting people off. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, J3Hetzer said:

Obviously it needs a hell of a lot of further work but I'm not seeing what's putting people off. 

It‘s great fun indeed!

But so far I haven‘t found a really suitable tanker MP server. Especially when combined with aircraft, one has to really adjust mission making. So far we have servers, where you usually have aim assists as well as icons on. This mainly because otherwise it is simply too easy to take a tank and just take a drive on the other teams airfields. On the other hand, with aim help and icons, tanks are just victims as on those very casual servers, you have no air cover.

I would guess you need a very populated map (AI units) to discourage casual, rapid and deep tank advances. There was a lot of learning about how to do good aircraft mission based servers. For tanks, we need to come up with good missions first. Also the issue you mentioned about AI seeing and shooting through anything not terrain or structure needs to be mended to sufficiently populate a map. Else you just have tank Quake in the open and the Germans win that.

17 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

It‘s great fun indeed!

But so far I haven‘t found a really suitable tanker MP server. Especially when combined with aircraft, one has to really adjust mission making. So far we have servers, where you usually have aim assists as well as icons on. This mainly because otherwise it is simply too easy to take a tank and just take a drive on the other teams airfields. On the other hand, with aim help and icons, tanks are just victims as on those very casual servers, you have no air cover.

I would guess you need a very populated map (AI units) to discourage casual, rapid and deep tank advances. There was a lot of learning about how to do good aircraft mission based servers. For tanks, we need to come up with good missions first. Also the issue you mentioned about AI seeing and shooting through anything not terrain or structure needs to be mended to sufficiently populate a map. Else you just have tank Quake in the open and the Germans win that.

So far the Finnish Virtual Pilots Dynamic War server has been my go to for tank combat.  Most of the time due to the time I play its empty so I have to fight AI but on the weekends when there is 40 plus people on you get some good tank vs tank action.

Edited by US93_Furlow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Il faut aussi attendre que le module TC soit vraiment terminé pour pouvoir avoir une simulation optimale, ensuite il faut trouver des " tankistes " sérieux et vraiment désireux de se prendre au jeu en mode hardcore sans aucune aide avec un équipage humain complet et sur des serveurs mieux adaptés et équilibrés, ne pas avoir des " joueurs " qui campent près de la zone de départ adverses pour faire du tir au pigeon sur les nouveaux arrivant afin de se glorifier avec des statistiques...
Pour résumer, Tank crew a un très gros potentiel, à nous de ne pas le gâcher en le transformant en jeu d'arcade en multijoueurs...
Ceci n'est que mon modeste avis, même si pour moi l'immersion et l'aspect historique passent bien avant le nombre de cibles virtuelles sur mon tableau de chasse....

You also have to wait until the TC module is really finished to have an optimal simulation, then you have to find serious "tankists" who are really willing to get into the game in hardcore mode without any help with a full human crew and on better adapted and balanced servers, not to have "players" camping near the opponent's starting area to do pigeon shooting on the newcomers in order to glorify themselves with statistics.
To sum up, Tank crew has a very big potential, it's up to us not to waste it by turning it into a multiplayer arcade game ...
This is only my modest opinion, even if for me the immersion and the historical aspect are much more important than the number of virtual targets on my hunting board....

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I've asked this question as well and I see a lack of organized unit makeup and little to do in the line of promoting the organization of historical tank regiments which would create a squad on squad multiplayer slugfest.  The only thing I can say is the numbers are just not there and perhaps this is a niche that falls drastically under the air combat genre. 

I can personally say that a lot of guys are missing the true strengths of this game in not coming together with comms and a fixed objective style of play.  You miss the sim aspect totally riding around alone through the countryside trying to knock out tanks and targets.  I can't see a remedy in the near future but I can say that I'm pleased with the direction the game is going and I've seen a lot of improvements over the months of it's development.

One thing I know...AI enemy tanks with a high skill setting are a challenge....albeit not realistic sometimes, you better knock them out fast because they rarely miss and the same with AT.   We set them up so they spawn a lot of times in the wood lines and hull down.....and you don't spot them until it's on you.  Kind of gives credit to the Russian skill of camo.

Probably the biggest plus of the game is the historical optics and ranging features which I believe are one of the biggest immersion links despite the sound complaints and some of the other shortcomings.  Also, having the best air combat simulation running in the skies above you is a feature none of the other games can claim.  It's a unique simulation because of that and managing the resources to allow for that has got to be complicated.   

I would say the biggest bust of the game is the LOS issues, but if you build your own missions you can manually place objects to help avoid this shortcoming.  Yes, it's more work and I'm hoping for a fix.

As far as price.....I don't have a problem with it personally based on the game play, messing around with mission building, making movies, and our campaign weekly missions, it's well worth the price.  PS is a lot of fun, but for me, it just doesn't measure up to TC as a tank sim.

If anyone wants to join a mission of ours...on Sundays, 1400hrs EST, just PM me.

amainheader7.png

Edited by SCG_Neun
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, J3Hetzer said:

Because so far as I've seen, TC is the best WW2 tank vs tank simulator currently available (Post Scriptum and Hell Let Loose are arcade trash). Obviously it needs a hell of a lot of further work but I'm not seeing what's putting people off. 

- Sound design is awful and unfinished

- Every shot that hits your tank plays the same (garbage) shaking effect with explosion.wav, metal_sound.wav playing in the background. No difference between bounce, explosions, shattering, penetration...

- There is no way to distinguish between your shell penetrating your target or shattering/exploding on it's hull, aside from the tank catching fire/exploding/Crew bailing; because there is a single impact effect for each shell type.
- Awful turret controls that tries to emulate a joystick, randomly when you switch from commander to gunner it goes all over the place, and will prevent you from getting a quick shot after spotting.

- Lackluster ground maps, especially on server playing non-TC map, aside from the lack of details, a stupid wooden-thingy could be the end of you engine if you scrape it, and I've met a few engine-ending invisible obstacles in forests

- AI shooting through bushes, trees. Because there's AI too in MP.
Should I keep going on ?
And these problems are there since July of last year, when I started playing it.

"A hell lot of further work" is the understatement of the year.

"the best WW2 tank vs tank simulator currently available"  is pure delusion.

It MAY become the best ww2 tank simulator, one day. And I HOPE it will.

It is currently a very expensive pre-alpha.

Add to that a lack of a clear roadmap, and TC being a secondary project with not much resources dedicated to it.

PS:

Plus, taking jabs at Hell Let Loose and Post Scriptum is kinda laughable when defending TC. Because those at least are reasonably priced, feature-complete, products. You disliking the gameplay and design choices made by their developers do not make them "trash".

Edited by Saedriss

I hope smaller tank-only maps (10x10 km) will be added in the future that can be made more detailed without causing a huge performance hit. I really hate the empty and feature-less Prokhorovka map.

4 hours ago, Saedriss said:

- Sound design is awful and unfinished

- Every shot that hits your tank plays the same (garbage) shaking effect with explosion.wav, metal_sound.wav playing in the background. No difference between bounce, explosions, shattering, penetration...

- There is no way to distinguish between your shell penetrating your target or shattering/exploding on it's hull, aside from the tank catching fire/exploding/Crew bailing; because there is a single impact effect for each shell type.
- Awful turret controls that tries to emulate a joystick, randomly when you switch from commander to gunner it goes all over the place, and will prevent you from getting a quick shot after spotting.

- Lackluster ground maps, especially on server playing non-TC map, aside from the lack of details, a stupid wooden-thingy could be the end of you engine if you scrape it, and I've met a few engine-ending invisible obstacles in forests

- AI shooting through bushes, trees. Because there's AI too in MP.
Should I keep going on ?
And these problems are there since July of last year, when I started playing it.

"A hell lot of further work" is the understatement of the year.

"the best WW2 tank vs tank simulator currently available"  is pure delusion.

It MAY become the best ww2 tank simulator, one day. And I HOPE it will.

It is currently a very expensive pre-alpha.

Add to that a lack of a clear roadmap, and TC being a secondary project with not much resources dedicated to it.

PS:

Plus, taking jabs at Hell Let Loose and Post Scriptum is kinda laughable when defending TC. Because those at least are reasonably priced, feature-complete, products. You disliking the gameplay and design choices made by their developers do not make them "trash".

Have you played the armour in PS and/or HLL? I have, extensively. They are allied-biased arcade-fantasy hitpoint skill-stealing trash. So, discounting those, what other WW2 armour game is currently available that's better than TC? Darkest Hour used to be numero uno in the outcome's dept but the graphics can no longer cut it and TC's outcomes are as good if not better. Iron Front 1944 was the one when it was still online but that's long gone.

Not that I disagree with your list above but most of those are things one can legitimately expect to see fixed over time (yeah yeah, I know...).

The all-seeing AI in TC is also a skill-stealing travesty, hence the need for human-only servers. But who's going to risk the money on a server when next to nobody is playing it online. Egg-chicken scenario, a bit like the sales-resource ratio 1C are juggling.

Edited by J3Hetzer

IMHO  the biggest blow to TC  was when they decided to change the aiming system,    screwed it all up,    have made no mention of returning it to the way it worked before, or that there is even an acknowledgement that it is screwed up, and being looked at.   At this point,  I think the game is worthless with erratic aiming controls.

• Confused 1
25 minutes ago, JG1_Wittmann said:

IMHO  the biggest blow to TC  was when they decided to change the aiming system,    screwed it all up,    have made no mention of returning it to the way it worked before, or that there is even an acknowledgement that it is screwed up, and being looked at.   At this point,  I think the game is worthless with erratic aiming controls.

There is noting wrong with aiming system. You move the mouse and the gun follows. You should retry.

• Upvote 3

Salutations Tankers,

Tank Crew is and should be considered a Work In Progress. As such, we can and should expect it to become better and better. The developers also desire this.

We need to be patient while faithfully reporting gameplay problems for correction without becoming caustic with our comments. :salute:

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

So I tried TC online the first time on the Efront server, joined the Russkies, since they had less players and basically got blasted by Tigers and Panthers for about 2 hours. Uff I felt so helpless in the T34 and KV1, I even managed to sneak and get a few side shots in, he turned his front and one shotted me!

At least the Panthers and Tigers had fun, I didn´t!

Is there any trick to dealing with those?

Edited by Leon_Portier

What I learned after years and years playing with il2, is that a good pilot is still a good pilot even when he flies a washing-machine. It’s not against you. Myself, i Learned to stop crying and to send congratulations to the winner 😌

1 hour ago, tribal50 said:

What I learned after years and years playing with il2, is that a good pilot is still a good pilot even when he flies a washing-machine. It’s not against you. Myself, i Learned to stop crying and to send congratulations to the winner 😌

I´m not crying, I´m asking how to deal with the cats.

As Jason said, about future TC no decision now and it depends of sales what not great at this moment, so just not many players total, not many servers...

Not many players in all series imho😥

1 hour ago, Leon_Portier said:

I´m not crying, I´m asking how to deal with the cats.

Salutations,

Obtaining side and rear shots at medium or short distances are probably the only reliable options. How to do that is another story. Air support could really help. :salute:

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, JG51_Beazil said:

Out of context, that's sigworthy stuff right there.

Thats funny! I didn´t even notice that! LOL

3 hours ago, Thad said:

Salutations,

Obtaining side and rear shots at medium or short distances are probably the only reliable options. How to do that is another story. Air support could really help. :salute:

I´ll see if I can organize some air support!