Stars and runway lights

Reggie_Mental

Reggie_Mental

307960_screenshots_20200306175221_1.thumb.jpg.226aaf409e83167d9010892a2d7e9c6e.jpg

image.thumb.png.2b93a308aa50f0ffd2f66049c823cb21.png

These pics aren't terribly clear and might not even be legible on some monitors, but top pic is an I16 cockpit, compass reading North. Below is the visible stars when I look up out of the cockpit. 

The stars in the game are astronomically correct. I've so far found the Plough, Polaris but I'm not sure about Orion's Belt or Cassiopea.

They match compass headings as expected. Polaris is pretty much bang on for North/0 degrees. (This was on the Bodenplatte map)

So, you can navigate using the stars. (We need a nightfighter collector plane! Heinkel 219 Uhu please)

But take-offs and especially landings are tricky

Q: Do any airfields have lighting, or can lighting be turned on using key assignments?

Edited by Reggie_Mental
33 minutes ago, Reggie_Mental said:

But take-offs and especially landings are tricky

Q: Do any airfields have lighting, or can lighting be turned on using key assignments?

Airfields can have lighting (or fires along the runway or the ability to fire a flare) if the mission builder puts it there. There is no built-in ability to turn lights on/off, but a mission builder could set them to turn on if you do something like enter a predefined area or fire a flare.

If you are interested in finding out more about the mission editor, look under  "Mission Editor and Multiplayer Server Guides" in the IL-2 Resources post.

Edited by JimTM
LukeFF
35 minutes ago, Reggie_Mental said:

Yes, runway lighting is used in career mode.

Just out of curiosity I also found out, soon after having started to use IL-2, that it also has precise Moon ephemeris. Set a date in the mission editor, and a time and check the Moon position and phase.

cardboard_killer

Not to be a pain, but if they failed to do that, they should turn in their "realism" badges. PC games have been doing that since 1990, and one of the first programs I bought, other than early WP, was an astronomy program.

Actually, the compass should be off about 6° W on that map for New Years '45 which would complicate navigation a tiny bit ...

[120DIS]KathoriasTV

I remember seeing a post from someone else quite a while back that mentioned a solar eclipse that happened in...'42? I think that's the right one. Anyway, it happened during their career flight on the correct date and at the correct time. Really impressive attention to detail. 

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, cardboard_killer said:

Not to be a pain, but if they failed to do that, they should turn in their "realism" badges. PC games have been doing that since 1990, and one of the first programs I bought, other than early WP, was an astronomy program.

Well, X-Plane until now ( version 11 ) hasn't been doing it for ages...

It usually freezes the skies at initial development year, and doesn't have a perpetual calendar...  But it's still considered "Ultra Realistic"...

ShamrockOneFive

They have even made it so that the stars blink, simulating atmospheric disturbance. It's a really nice touch!