Sign in to follow this  
Sublime

BoS VVS campaign. La5 M82 F engine

Posted (edited)

Inlet opened totally.  Outlets usually less than 10 percent fighting. Oil open totally.

No matter what I do i overheat her constantly.  Do not have this problem with the FN or other Soviet aircraft.  I also notice usually you can sorta cheat by dropping throttle to zero and opening cowls fully for 10 seconds or so, then goto full throttle and if you keep cowls perhaps.10% more than before its fine.

Not with her.

Is fuel mixture involved with engine temp??  I usially always wean VVS planes until their RPM needle is all over the place and slowly increase until it stabilizes.. 

What am I doing wrong guys?

Edited by Sublime

Boost on maybe? I think that was the perk of the F engine, you could run with unlimited boost.

not doing anything wrong, it's just the way the motor is, overheats very quickly..

I usually run it at much lower rpm, on the throttle quadrant there's a notch for cruising (can't remember the percentage, may be in 70% or something).. and once in a dogfight pedal to the medal firewall but u'll get 5 mins max before you're at 110C ..

Is lowering Mixture till RPM starts to rise and backing it off to stabilize, how you find economy cruise in GA? I suspect CHT would be pretty toasty in that setup. Try it running more rich then that. 

1 hour ago, Sublime said:

Is fuel mixture involved with engine temp??

Yes. Rich mix for cooler cylinder heads.

31 minutes ago, [CPT]HawkeyeP said:

Is lowering Mixture till RPM starts to rise and backing it off to stabilize, how you find economy cruise in GA?

I think because of the above, lower throttle is the answer. There's charts over in the tips folder. I'll go look there now and try to link.

Thanks.  I run it around 93 rpm and 100 throttle like alnost all soviet birds. I frankly go by technochat telling me continous and emergency.

I of course look at plane spread sheets but.. usually VVS is no issue this way its the P51 for example you want to only use high rpm for accleration and otherwise 83% is the sweet spot.

Ok for one Ill increase engine temp.  For 2... I guess ill wait till you or someone else tells me if Its a throtttle issue or what.

Also I forgot to mention. Oil is totally open always.  Usually most planes i keep cowl or rads totally opem till combat. Why not.  I admit those few la 5 F sorties I kept cowl at 30 or 40 and down to 10 or 5 when dogfighting..

Use 100%mix on the la5. Full forward is auto rich. The la5 wont overheat anymore

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, [CPT]HawkeyeP said:

Is lowering Mixture till RPM starts to rise and backing it off to stabilize, how you find economy cruise in GA? I suspect CHT would be pretty toasty in that setup. Try it running more rich then that. 

Im afraid to say unless its LW or notes say like run auto rich or whatever thats also how I fight VVS aircraft as well! Never knew I was causing a problem! Thanks...

Does this apply to the il2 too?  Seems to fly fine to me.  Never had these problems in the FN.  Curious if the Yak1 and 1b 7b will fly better for me suddenly if I crank fuel mix in dogfights.

I did more messing about a year ago newer but..  i never really noticed a huge improvement. Im also near sure I wasnt using an M82 F La5 which Im having probs with in particular nothing else like this

8 hours ago, DerSheriff said:

Use 100%mix on the la5. Full forward is auto rich. The la5 wont overheat anymore

Danke mein Herr

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, DerSheriff said:

Also.. entire mission?

Im trying all this now thx again guys.  Until Inhear otherwise cruise Ill try 80%

Hey all - works like a charm! Thanks! Wow what a diff! Now just to get reused to the weird high position of the guns.  1 kill only.  And was like literally 250 ft behind 2 different 109s for AWHILE... 

Awful accuracy.  Have to get used to the guns again. The problems me not the awesome rapid fire Soviet 20mms

Edited by Sublime

Entire mission, to reduce consumption or to get rid of the exhaust smoke reduce the throttle. The mixture adapts automatically.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, DerSheriff said:

Entire mission, to reduce consumption or to get rid of the exhaust smoke reduce the throttle. The mixture adapts automatically.

Thanks.

Btw you specifically got me started on Il2 BoS.  I watched your vids for s couple years before taking the plunge

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Sublime said:

Thanks.

Btw you specifically got me started on Il2 BoS.  I watched your vids for s couple years before taking the plunge

To a degree, me too. Between Sheriff, Requim and IFlyCentral, I've more time watching videos than playing the game still!

• Like 1

Yes, run her with outer cowl closed, oil open, mix 100% and cruise on lower throttle settings (850-950) and prop pitch (like 2200rpm), keep an eye on your gauge and she should cruise cool.   When fighting, use boost and 100% throttle but after a kill, take a little time out to cool down whilst you select your next target with boost off and throttle pulled back from full.

Fly her clean on the rudder with trim pitch up and sparing use of flaps when needed and she'll dance with those 109's👍

• Thanks 1