AnPetrovich

Developer Diary 243 - Discussion

S! 

One of the best DD released. Really hope the new DM will change the game dynamics as the G effect did, to the better. That Razorback looked very nice. 

Now there are only 2 issues left to tackle: visibility and net code :)

• Upvote 5

9 hours ago, 69th_Mobile_BBQ said:

Even on a mostly flat co-alt trajectory?  My friend who told me this was infantry, not a pilot.  

And I want a word with the 110 and 87 gunners, who in multiplayer, sometimes shoot downward through the tail (with 0 self damage) and nails you, thus eliminating the excess weight of a belly gunner and his equipment.  

I think that part of the optical acceleration effect for a tracer bullet when approaching is because it is a very bright and small object. In normal situations, if something comes close to us, it gets visually bigger, but the bullet barely increases its size or brightness ...

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, onlyforbrian said:

with it's 12 cylinder wasp engine,

You mean it's 18 cylinder Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp engine.

;)

Edited by ROTER_BART
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

And it is not a P 47 issue, like many Americans want us to believe, but a radial engine issue. You have exactly the same happening with the Anton versions of the FW 190, every engine hit is a insta kill.

• Upvote 5

What a great DD. I'm very excited for a more realistic DM! I'm looking forward to limping the aircraft home more often 😄

• Upvote 1

Good stuff, cant wait to see how it will work in MP.

2 hours ago, Yogiflight said:

And it is not a P 47 issue, like many Americans want us to believe, but a radial engine issue. You have exactly the same happening with the Anton versions of the FW 190, every engine hit is a insta kill.

I don't remember reading it ever being a P-47 only issue. Radial engines in this game are very weak and will quit with minimal damage. I think the reason the P-47 is brought up all the time is due to it's rugged reputation which is lacking in-game and the fact that it's engine is one of the most rugged in real life yet in game its one of the weakest.

Radials should be quite a bit stronger than liquid cooled inlines yet we see the opposite in-game.

• Upvote 1

Whoah! Revised DM sounds like another milestone for already launched models. The last one being revised high-g pilot physiology for me. Looking forward! :)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

I don't remember reading it ever being a P-47 only issue.

Really, in none of the dozen or so P-47 threads. I always read it is a P-47 issue, never it is a radial engine issue, except the one time, I mentioned it.

2 minutes ago, Yogiflight said:

Really, in none of the dozen or so P-47 threads. I always read it is a P-47 issue, never it is a radial engine issue, except the one time, I mentioned it.

Well seeing as those threads are about the P-47 it makes sense for them to focus on it. It really doesn't matter though as it is a radial engine issue, though not all radials in game are affected equally.

1 minute ago, Legioneod said:

Well seeing as those threads are about the P-47 it makes sense for them to focus on it. It really doesn't matter though as it is a radial engine issue, though not all radials in game are affected equally.

Will say it is no issue for the La-5?

Well have to say that a big overhaul under hood so to speak, its refreshing that even though I didn't come into this until the last few weeks that Devs are still headlong into such large changes to really bring even more simulation to the table, with what is very impressive already.

Hope that this update can give us a little more balance for ones who like fly red fighters.

I will like that yours beta tester can really be un-partial about the changes and not only test off line( I don´t know who are they but hope that one will be a pilot that only fly red planes)

Also I have to said thank you for your effort to keep this game updated and balance.

Please give the 37mm cannon his real power and don´t allow the HE 20mm bullets hand grenades with 1m hit explosion radius. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 666GIAP_Necathor said:

Hope that this update can give us a little more balance for ones who like fly red fighters.

I will like that yours beta tester can really be un-partial about the changes and not only test off line( I don´t know who are they but hope that one will be a pilot that only fly red planes)

Also I have to said thank you for your effort to keep this game updated and balance.

Please give the 37mm cannon his real power and don´t allow the HE 20mm bullets hand grenades with 1m hit explosion radius. 

This is a simulation after all, so the goal is realism, not balance. As it should be in this case. Testers test all planes :salute:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 13

Wish I could get excited about the Razorback but if it flies anything like the current P47 it will suck as a dogfighter and be unusable except for sightseeing.  

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the update. You are a fantastic development team !! Thank you very much Andrey "Petrovich" Solomykin.

The P-47 is beautiful.

2 hours ago, smink1701 said:

Wish I could get excited about the Razorback but if it flies anything like the current P47 it will suck as a dogfighter and be unusable except for sightseeing.  

The Razorback is actually a little faster on the same engine settings (approx 10mph) and marginally lighter. Against early-44 Luftwaffe airplanes you'll have a much better chance than against the K-4 hoards you face online, too. It still won't be a low altitude brawler and the P-51C will probably still be better but I wouldn't write it off

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am so happy to hear about these changes...if it means that wings will not now fall of at the least provocation.

5 hours ago, LLv24_Zami said:

This is a simulation after all, so the goal is realism, not balance. As it should be in this case. Testers test all planes :salute:

This. The focus is on realism/accuracy not balance. 

5 hours ago, smink1701 said:

It's gonna be a decent aircraft for Normandy. It will have the same power as the D-28 (64" @ 2700 rpm) at the very least, and has the possibility of 70" 150 grade fuel due to it being used/standard during the Normandy timeframe.

Made a post about it here:

• Upvote 1

If its off materials and blueprints I'll go out on a limb and predict the 38 will now have one of the strongest tail units in the game.

1 hour ago, Legioneod said:

It's gonna be a decent aircraft for Normandy.

I have to believe that drop tanks will be released shortly, otherwise every plane but the P51 and P-38 are going to have pretty limited time over target in France from southern England.

Thank you very much for taking your time to explain the new DM in such Detail. Your work is very appreciated and thank you very much for doing all those improvements. It sounds great and promising, Looking forward to it.

Thanks to all the Devs. 

Please, more boring long winded texts in future DD's

Great news/work

Cheers, Dakpilot 

Can't wait to try out the new damage model...well, we can wait, take your time.

I just hope it does not take too much rounds of AP type bullets to take out sensitive components like shooting out radiator, Engines and the like.

Would also love to damage the landing gear parts and thus making the enemy make a very rough landing and maybe blocking the runway. That would be good!

17 hours ago, 666GIAP_Necathor said:

I just hope they do a lot DM tests in MP before they lanch the new changes as most complains about DM come from MP players, or it will just be repet of visability changes mess.

2 minutes ago, CountZero said:

I just hope they do a lot DM tests in MP before they lanch the new changes as most complains about DM come from MP players, or it will just be repet of visability changes mess.

Sorry, but I disagree.  The DM should work exactly as intended in single player and that's it.   I am a mostly multiplayer person, but there is just too much extra crap that can go on over the internet to get accurate test results.  If the DM is going to work right in MP, it needs to work right in SP first, then the netcode needs to be worked on until it is more within tolerance.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, 69th_Mobile_BBQ said:

Sorry, but I disagree.  The DM should work exactly as intended in single player and that's it.   I am a mostly multiplayer person, but there is just too much extra crap that can go on over the internet to get accurate test results.  If the DM is going to work right in MP, it needs to work right in SP first, then the netcode needs to be worked on until it is more within tolerance.  

Then both should be work on at same time, as if new DM have same discrapancy betwen SP and MP as we see now, it will be same thing as its now and probably even more complains about it, just see how it ended with visibility changes, its worst for MP now then it was before.

4 minutes ago, CountZero said:

Then both should be work on at same time, as if new DM have same discrapancy betwen SP and MP as we see now, it will be same thing as its now and probably even more complains about it, just see how it ended with visibility changes, its worst for MP now then it was before.

The visibility is better for me than before, so subjective things, I guess.  

I agree that I would like to see both modes have it be good and be the same, but if it turns out that SP gets it as intended and the netcode doesn't get worked on just yet, I won't complain.

I would campaign for the netcode to be worked on asap though.

On 3/7/2020 at 5:32 AM, =EXPEND=CG_Justin said:

This sounds like a game changer. I'm looking forward to it!

I’m hoping so too… There are times when an update is described in similar fashion and when released you can’t tell much of a difference. I think they’ve already said there’s not going to be a lot of physical difference i.e. the damage decals will remain the same.  

Wow.. this is really going to change the dynamics in almost all combat situations in-game isn't it.. I'm astounded at how much detail, analysis and work has been put in already by the team, considering what's already been delivered in recent months and thanks for that very detailed post. I'm really excited to see how this changes people's experience of the gameplay (especially online) but also what it's going to be like flying when you've taken certain amounts of combat damage.

Some of the most thrilling moments I've had in flight sims is actually when being chased down having taken combat damage.. and being on the edge of the seat anxiously looking back for that fighter behind you.. knowing you might not be making it back with the damage you've taken... and if you do make it.. what a feeling.

Thanks so much for this! can't wait

• Like 2

Nice job. All that work to line up a shot, it will be fun to see realistic results.

We cannot thank enough the dev team for all this incredible work. Always better and more immersive.

The Razorback looks just a beautiful beast. I am eager to have it in my future campaign. Proportions seem just perfect. I have not counted yet the rivets to see if they are all there but I am sure it will be the exact numbers as the real one 🙂 

As you perfect so much the DM, and I can only again thank the team for this hard works, could you also spare a few minutes to improve the navigation lights. They look just ridiculous as they can be seen in full daylight miles away like if they were kind of high power projectors. And even at night they are is a simply too big luminous halo around. Probably these are LOD issues and other things but its completely unrealistic.

There are missions where they just give away their position just because the positional lights can be seen a hundred miles away. I am exaggerating but it makes the point.

This "bug" is here since years now. Maybe time to address it now that you are looking for perfection 🙂 

Thank you to have taken the time to read this post.

Great to hear the DM is being revamped and now it will be on an engineering / physical basis, and it will also take into account the interaction between various structures and bullet types. This possibly one the greatest upgrades to the model since g-forces. Can't wait to try it out.

Any ETA?

"As I wrote above, at the moment the new damage model is undergoing final testing and debugging of core-settings. We are looking forward to completing this work in a couple weeks. :rolleyes:"

On 3/6/2020 at 11:53 PM, LLv34_Flanker said:

Now there are only 2 issues left to tackle: visibility and net code :)

Aircraft against clouds.  sSeriously I cannot STAND how this game looks with clouds, it ruins the experience.

• Confused 1

Apparently, the planned move  to deferred shading should fix this.

• Upvote 1

On 3/6/2020 at 12:01 PM, US213_Talbot said:

Please god, no.

Why not? Genuinely curious. I always thought it looked cool. Is it ahistorical?