Hey guys, about to upgrade my pc so im vr ready but dont know what vr i should go for and what all i need...i see on ebay people selli ng headsets only and also with controllers...do i need controllers when i have hotas? then i also see mixed reality? all very confusing...basically i just want a headset thst puts me in the plane and im able to move my view around by moving my head like trackir5...any advice welcomed!

Depends what particular headset you want. HP Reverb seems to have the best opinion right now, this one is being sold with controllers anyway and uses internal tracking cameras so you need only one HP Reverb factory set in one box, nothing more. And strong PC obviously.

I've been using Pimax 5k+ before and i needed to buy separate laser station, but the image clarity in Reverb i'm using now is simply great, far better than Pimax 5k+.

Hi. There are many possibilities now. I was playing it before on Oculus Rift, which is now old device. You can use almost any HMD (that mean goggles), and usually better is more expensive.

For this sim you do not need controllers (exception is for setting snap view, but many do not use it).

Top choices:

1) Pimax 8kx – the best, will be shipped soon. I am waiting for it

2) Pimax 5k+ / 8k – the best field of view (fov =160deg horizontally) , great resolution

3) Reverb – great resolution, not great fov, and NO MECHANICAL IPD ADJUSTMENT – I can not even use it, but some can.

4) Everything else. Valve index, Vive Pro, Oddisey+, Oculus (several of them), and all others…

Take care to have excellent PC, as VR need double rendering in comparison to flat games. At least GPU 1080, and CPU intel 4+ GHz

Rift S is a nice choice also. Only problem is they are hard to get at this time likely due to getting shipments from China.

Loving my Rift S, no muss no fuss and it just works beautifully every time. 

You really need to give an idea of what your budget is.

"Low-budget" would be an Oculus Rift S, a PC with a i5-9600k and an NVidia RTX 2070 or similar midrange GPU. That will cost you somewhere around 1500€. And that will be great.

If you want something significantly better, you need to spend much more in the VR headset AND in the GPU. So most probably at least 2500€.

Edited by haltux

HP Reverb and an NVidia GTX 1660Ti is working for me!  BUT that video card is prolly the lowest you'd want to consider and not terribly future-proof. 

Fast RAM and CPU makes a difference, buy the fastest you can afford.

Im going with i7 9700 or Ryzen 3800x (Havent decided)...32 Gb 3200 Ram and RTX 2080 super OC so i am confident i will have the PC oomph to run it.

If i go Oculus Rift S is it just buy the device and everything i need is included?

If i go the Pimax 5K i have to buy extra stuff is that what you are saying? 

Dont understand why they would not put all you need in one package?

1 hour ago, -332FG-Tonester said:

Im going with i7 9700 or Ryzen 3800x (Havent decided)...32 Gb 3200 Ram and RTX 2080 super OC so i am confident i will have the PC oomph to run it.

If i go Oculus Rift S is it just buy the device and everything i need is included?

If i go the Pimax 5K i have to buy extra stuff is that what you are saying? 

Dont understand why they would not put all you need in one package?

I run exactly that setup (w/ a 9700k), and have no problems pushing a Reverb at fairly high settings (Ultra/high mix, medium shadows and mirrors) and a slight supersample (2380p), so you'll definitely have the oomph to run decent settings whatever headset you choose.  Rift S will come with everything you need, and as far as I know you need to buy at least a lighthouse for the Pimax.

Edited by Dijital_Majik
1 hour ago, -332FG-Tonester said:

Yes.

I personally did not care for the built in audio strap, was pretty weak.

I got earbuds and plug them into the Rift S audio jack, sound is great there.

Edited by dburne

If you’re doing VR, the 9700K is much better than the AMD, because IL2 loves single core speed. 9700K, 280mm AIO cooler, motherboard with good power delivery, 3600mhz CAS-16 RAM, cheap SSD (makes no difference to IL2).

Rift S is a nice headset (I have one) but arguably if you’re spending that much on the rig you should consider a Reverb for its Retina display, Index for its all Round great package, or a Pimax for some ultra wide FOV.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Alonzo said:

if you’re spending that much on the rig you should consider a Reverb for its Retina display, Index for its all Round great package, or a Pimax for some ultra wide FOV.

Do all three of these come as a complete package or do i have to buy headset...then controllers...etc etc

12 hours ago, -332FG-Tonester said:

Do all three of these come as a complete package or do i have to buy headset...then controllers...etc etc

Almost everything except the Pimax comes as a complete kit, or can be bought as such. If you are buying a headset-only, wherever you're buying it from will be clear about that. Valve Index can be bought as just the headset. Read the websites to be sure.

7 hours ago, [_FLAPS_]Dirt_Merchant said:

Take a look here - AMD vs Intel is basically a toss up with single thread performance at this point - though this does not take into account overclocking.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

I personally would love to see a shootout between a Ryzen 3800x and i7-9700k in this game and the "other" sim though!

Chili's spreadsheet seems to indicate that even though the new AMD chips have good single thread performance in synthetics, they're below where you would expect them to be based on STmark. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gJmnz_nVxI6_dG_UYNCCpZVK2-f8NBy-y1gia77Hu_k/edit#gid=1719385058

The best AMD score in there is a 3900x at 4.55ghz with half its cores disabled, averaging 143 fps. There's a 9600K that DakPilot managed to run at 5.2ghz (bit of a feat, but still) and it's doing 150 fps or so. I think something IL2 is doing with memory/locking means that it prefers Intel chips, even though the AMDs are doing well in the synthetics.

Thanks guys...pulled the trigger on new system yesterday and it’s being built as we speak. i7 9700kf...z390...32gb 3600 ram...Rtx 2080 super double oc...1tb m.2 hard drive and 2tb ssd...water cooling....once its built I will then start saving my pennies for a HP reverb...let the good times roll!

• Like 2

Whatever HMD you end up with, do yourself a big favor and order some SeaBands (search on Amazon) and some Ginger gum or drops. Proceed slowly in VR - no dogfighting. Just 15 minutes a day of nice easy flightseeing. Gradually work yourself into staying in for longer and dogfighting. The vast majority of people who fly VR will get motion sickness in the beginning and if you overdo it,  the effects can be severe and last several days. The moment you begin to feel weird, stop. You can't "push through it".  Don't think that because you don't get motion sick in real life, you won't in VR - they are different animals. Don't drink alcohol or use nicotine. Fight back the excitement and proceed slowly. You'll eventually reach the point where you're not bothered at all, but overdoing it in the beginning can be brutal.

• Upvote 1
On 3/9/2020 at 7:21 AM, OG_Porkchopper said:

Whatever HMD you end up with, do yourself a big favor and order some SeaBands (search on Amazon) and some Ginger gum or drops. Proceed slowly in VR - no dogfighting. Just 15 minutes a day of nice easy flightseeing. Gradually work yourself into staying in for longer and dogfighting. The vast majority of people who fly VR will get motion sickness in the beginning and if you overdo it,  the effects can be severe and last several days. The moment you begin to feel weird, stop. You can't "push through it".  Don't think that because you don't get motion sick in real life, you won't in VR - they are different animals. Don't drink alcohol or use nicotine. Fight back the excitement and proceed slowly. You'll eventually reach the point where you're not bothered at all, but overdoing it in the beginning can be brutal.

Thanks Bud...i noticed in your sig you have both TrackIR and a HP reverb? do you use different things for different games or are you able to use both at the same time?

Excuse my ignorance but i know less than zero about VR

On 3/8/2020 at 6:21 PM, OG_Porkchopper said:

I'd second this, although I of course pushed it too hard and ended up with vertigo for a few days. 😞 I'll never forget the first few minutes in IL-2 in VR. The immersion is so real I was hesitant to move the stick too much. And the first time you lawn dart - yikes! 

I have Rift S and find it to be a great value - works reliably and has a good cost/quality trade off. Recommended. 

14 minutes ago, -332FG-Sully-- said:

I'd second this, although I of course pushed it too hard and ended up with vertigo for a few days. 😞 I'll never forget the first few minutes in IL-2 in VR. The immersion is so real I was hesitant to move the stick too much. And the first time you lawn dart - yikes! 

I have Rift S and find it to be a great value - works reliably and has a good cost/quality trade off. Recommended. 

:good:

I am with you there, been using my Rift S since last May, solid as can be.