Sign in to follow this  
ShamrockOneFive

RIP my latest career mode pilot

Posted (edited)

I fly a mix of single and multiplayer for IL-2: Great Battles and for the last several months since release of Bodenplatte's career mode I've been slowly chipping away at a career mode pilot flying the Tempest Mark V with No. 3 RAF squadron. People sometimes ask for recommendations of good careers to play with ample mission variety and short distances to the target areas. I can wholeheartedly recommend this specific squadron. Very early on you're located to Volkel which is right on the frontlines and essentially the tip of the spear.

And then I get to the sad part of the story. Francis Hall, my fictional pilot, met his untimely demise yesterday morning. During a fight involving likely 20+ aircraft I ended up head on with a Bf109 that crashed straight into me. It was over in a couple of seconds and it's a testament to Career mode and the name/backstory/identification with your virtual pilot that I sat there kind of stunned and a little sad that after months of flying... this career was over. It's a funny thing to mourn the loss of a virtual pilot this way... but it's I appreciate in terms of the game design.

I wrote more about the end of my pilot, the mission variety in this specific instance, and more about Career mode here: https://stormbirds.blog/2020/02/29/rip-fictional-raf-no-3-squadron-leader-francis-hall/

tempestv-low-over-the-flak.jpg

Edited by ShamrockOneFive
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 2

I do not fly Ironman for one reason only. I did in old game. After finnishing my 153 rd mission in a IL 2 that started with the I 153 I was taxiing to the runway and my wing hit a parked plane. The plane blew up. I was upset and did not fly for a month. 
Hickups in the software can make your pilot die. 
like landing on your side of the border and still you get captured. I fly my careers as 1 life but I decide if it was fair or a software ai stupidity. 
one have to take ai stupidity into account 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I do not fly Ironman for one reason only. I did in old game. After finnishing my 153 rd mission in a IL 2 that started with the I 153 I was taxiing to the runway and my wing hit a parked plane. The plane blew up. I was upset and did not fly for a month. 
like landing on your side of the border and still you get captured. I fly my careers as 1 life but I decide if it was fair or a software ai stupidity. 

I have exactly the same opinion on this topic and do it like you.

I don't think I'd have the discipline in this specific regard and I'd probably just continue on after a period of time. Iron man forces me to play that way.

Good to have options like these and that way folks can fly it the way they want to.

3 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

You can fly ironman mode and if you die due to bad AI or glitch you can exit the game before saving. (altF4 or forced quit).

I have used this in ROF because I died many times due to bad AI in formation flying.

• Like 3

But if your executed there´s no way back! Had a long career in the Battle of Moscow that ended that way "Executed for commiting war crimes!" Sad ending for a great pilot! There was no furter explenation so the "family" (me) has to live whith the uncertinty of his whereabouts,

Nice write-up, Shamrock! I had a similar thing happen to me with a Ju 88 career I had invested a lot of time with. On the fateful mission, an La-5 set my left wing on fire, and before I could bail out the plane exploded. Much like you, I sat there in stunned silence, so bummed at having lost this pilot. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Ju 88 career

I look for a good career and find great joy flying JU 88. Is it a staffel and a timeperiod you can 

recommend?

I stopped checking iron man because I flew a loooong P51 campaign and had 3 occasions allied p51s flew into me.  Every time I managed to get out.  The 3rd time I got captured and was BULLS***

I stopped checking. Ironically it lasted a day and outta habit Im back on that train.   Got another P51 campaign Ive got about 30 missions in which is long for me.  I thibk my 2 longest careers was a BOM P40 pilot who died after about 3 months. It must have been over 120 missions. I was crushed.  I was SUPER careful with him and it took one 7.92 round from a Heinkel. Right to tje face.

The second was a 109 pilot that Id simply refuse to do ground attack with lol..  to the point Id fly with everyone else and just circle.

I have to admit playing Sea Dragons has renewed my ground attack interest and I began a Ju87 and Il2 campaign.  But I rediscovered what I already knew - its nigh impossible to last a long time in this game being a ground attacker.  If you do you have to drop it all first pass and leave.  Further than that it still seems luck will claim you..

Whats the longest anyones got a grnd attacker career?

I played sea dragon 7 attempts made two surviving on my 7 mission on 3 

Clue is to stay with the wingmen. Take the time and make attack with them. Focus on aa first. 
In one mission the enemy fighters focused on me even if they was attacked by yak’s.  I had to shoot a FW 190 down. That stupid bugger fought a horizontal dogfight with me. In my opinion it was waste of ammo. But a bit refreshing. 

8 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

I can wholeheartedly recommend this specific squadron.

That means you're only flying along the northern part of the map. If you want to see the BoBP in all it's glory (if you haven't already), I suggest try flying with a squadron that's operating in the southern part of the map. There's lot's of beautiful hilly country and also some gorgeous looking valleys around the Rhein and especially Mosel rivers.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I played sea dragon 7 attempts made two surviving on my 7 mission on 3 

Clue is to stay with the wingmen. Take the time and make attack with them. Focus on aa first. 
In one mission the enemy fighters focused on me even if they was attacked by yak’s.  I had to shoot a FW 190 down. That stupid bugger fought a horizontal dogfight with me. In my opinion it was waste of ammo. But a bit refreshing. 

Yeah I havent had many problems surviving sea dragons.   Career mode in Il2 is totally brutal though. 

I HAVE had 2 gunners killed in a row in SD - Missions 8 and 9 he ate a cannon round

2 hours ago, Gretsch_Man said:

That means you're only flying along the northern part of the map. If you want to see the BoBP in all it's glory (if you haven't already), I suggest try flying with a squadron that's operating in the southern part of the map. There's lot's of beautiful hilly country and also some gorgeous looking valleys around the Rhein and especially Mosel rivers.

Id perhaps give a family jewel for some awesome schlosses (castles?) On hills etc.  I love fighting in the area you describe since I lived near Wiesbaden until age 6.  Especially river runs. Even just fast flying down some rivers almost feels like a canyon run.  Theres a bridge near Wiesbaden I took a tempest and tried to see how many loops with the nadir under the bridge I could do.  I got 4 before I hit the water :)

Someone also posted a combat report on here too near Wiesbaden that totally tickled me pink thinking I was living - even unaware then - in an area that some of this happened at.

I really like flying in the 328th FS so far we only have been in Asch. I mean why not I live in Boston. (It was formed near here apparently) So my heroic Major Michael Jackson (seriously the name generator came up with that) is on Jan 12th 1945.  Hes literally been wounded.. *11* (more like 3) times I think scrolling on the date thing!!

Edit: Im a dumbass. I counted days in hospital.  Purpleheart with 2 oak leaf clusters. Silver star 2 oak leafs. DFC 1 oak leaf. DSC. air medal 3 oak leaves.

11 kills 9 109s 2 me262s

262s are a bi*ch.  They never have engaged me always straight line fast flight. Only one mission after lengthy chase in a P51 i got close enough to hose a formation of 3 setting 2 ablaze and another running. Id have really mauled some more if I hadnt foolishly kept trying to lob .50 bullets like artillery chasing those 262s out of impatience.

Edited by Sublime

2 hours ago, Gretsch_Man said:

It is indeed much more interesting in the southern sector. I've fortunately been everywhere in multiplayer and single player. :)

The Tempest for me is my favourite aircraft of the war and possibly of all time and so this career was particularly special for me.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Sublime said:

Id perhaps give a family jewel for some awesome schlosses (castles?) On hills etc. 

I wouldn't go THAT far,  but basically I agree. There are many castles on hills and near rivers like the Mosel and it would indeed be nice to get at last a few of them here and there.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Gretsch_Man said:

I wouldn't go THAT far,  but basically I agree. There are many castles on hills and near rivers like the Mosel and it would indeed be nice to get at last a few of them here and there.

Its a saying in the US but a little cruder and always the left one

6 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I look for a good career and find great joy flying JU 88. Is it a staffel and a timeperiod you can recommend?

Stalingrad in I./KG 51 is where I flew, because you can then fly with this unit through both Kuban and Rhineland (and eventually Normandy). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Stalingrad in I./KG 51 is where I flew, because you can then fly with this unit through both Kuban and Rhineland (and eventually Normandy). 

I terrorized your squadronmates in SP last night. A very long stern chase with 8 P51s with 150 octane on about 12 Me262s.  Those poor bastards just kept flying straight and me and about 3 other P51s reached the end of the formation same time.  It was beautiful the friendly ai handled it perfectly - one would start hitting a 3 ship.V theyd break and hed follow.  And the rest would continue.  A P51 peeling off for each Vee.  I got to the lead Vee and downed 2.  Looking at the AAR map only 2 262s went home.

As my flight was starting to head home (and an embarrasing incident where I hit a friendly with some .50 cal forcing him to RTB.  We got bounced by 109 G14s. Those poor bastards probably were chasing us chasing the 262s.  *cue* yackety sax.

Anyyyways I got 2 more kills - found myself suddenly alone and RTBd. 

Im sending MPs out directly for Herr LukeFF for hard interrogation and "special treatment" if he doesnt reveal to me all the upcoming CM titles secrets

Posted (edited)

Nooo! I jinxed myself! 2 more 262s. Got greedy  - no threats over friendly lines. Should have simply.made another pass. Collided with a 262.  Killed Mr Jackson though neither plane exploded.  Iron man mode so I cant have a "thriller" zombie P51 Michael Jackson.

11 109s and 6 Me262s. KIA near Geleen Jan 15 1945

Edited by Sublime
Sp. Doh.
  • Sad 1

My guy started out as a La-5 Pilot at Stalingrad, converted to Spitfires at Kuban and converted to the La-5FN as the utterly unreliable Spitfire got recalled. He is half through the Battle of Kuban and has hopes to survive the war.

He has 200 Air kills and looks a bit like this:

Bbo2ydBCQAAdvMF.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Looks like the friendly AI has improved too...if those others are his squadron mates.

Edited by kendo

1 hour ago, kendo said:

Looks like the friendly AI has improved too...if those others are his squadron mates.

I would more guess this is from a PWCG campaign, where kills, you don't claim for yourself, get credited to a squadmate, who also shot on that aircraft.;)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DerSheriff said:

My guy started out as a La-5 Pilot at Stalingrad, converted to Spitfires at Kuban and converted to the La-5FN as the utterly unreliable Spitfire got recalled. He is half through the Battle of Kuban and has hopes to survive the war.

He has 200 Air kills and looks a bit like this:

Bbo2ydBCQAAdvMF.jpg

Suddenly my pilot seems lame.

Were you typing "in character" about the unreliable Spit V?  Did the Soviets find them unreliable ?

3 minutes ago, Sublime said:

Were you typing "in character" about the unreliable Spit V?  Did the Soviets find them unreliable ?

Yes. I guess the judgement would have been better if the Spits the brits send wouldnt have been used models from the channel. Pretty worn out. At the same time there were no spare parts etc and the mechanics were unfamiliar since manuals were missing too..

If my memory serves right they liked the Spit IX.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DerSheriff said:

Yes. I guess the judgement would have been better if the Spits the brits send wouldnt have been used models from the channel. Pretty worn out. At the same time there were no spare parts etc and the mechanics were unfamiliar since manuals were missing too..

If my memory serves right they liked the Spit IX.

I asked also because I was genuinely curious if they did have reliability problems.  Seems a perfect storm of used airframes and unfamiliar mechanics.

On 3/1/2020 at 9:19 PM, ShamrockOneFive said:

It is indeed much more interesting in the southern sector. I've fortunately been everywhere in multiplayer and single player. :)

The Tempest for me is my favourite aircraft of the war and possibly of all time and so this career was particularly special for me.

I flew some missions with a tempest squad.  Its so enjoyable but I find it my least fav of the last 3 which is a total surprise.  

I cant fly her right. I constantly black out my pilot or like yesterday ripped a wing off snap pulljng and KIA'd. 

To be honest I knew Id love the p38 but I was surprised how much.

Most of all though is the P51. It always was meh for me in every other ww2 game.  I used to think she frankly only got the rep because her range.  

Not anymore Im totally sold

Yeah, I couldn't fly the P-51 at all back in il-2 :1946 - constantly spinning out.

But this one is really nice. Still spins if you push too far, but can see and understand its strengths now. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kendo said:

Yeah, I couldn't fly the P-51 at all back in il-2 :1946 - constantly spinning out.

But this one is really nice. Still spins if you push too far, but can see and understand its strengths now. 

I find her spin and stall charavteristics VERY predictable

I can fly at continous and almost never need to use combat or emergency and dogfight the best enemy planes.

With sxtra ammo you get a ridiculously long amt of trigger time. And i dont pres and hold. I click my trigger like a mouse.  Little spurts of bullets.  Ive stretched a P51s ammo to 8 kills one time.

She just handles beautifully.  I can totally understand why she has the rep and was so beloved now.

Ive lost almost all my psessions (and my fatherss miltiaria) over th eyears. I have one patch left from his F4 days.  It was his weapons training squadron. They flew Jugs in Italy in Ww2 (62 TFS anyone wants a pic lmk)

I wish theyd fix the p47 DM :(

thw P38 i love the cockpit.  the instruments are a PITA no doubt - no I love seeing those twin props. Hearing the turbochargers etc.

but I also admit.. the Fw190D is still very higg on my list of favs to fly. Even after all the newfangled Allied ac.

i also now prefer the G14 to K4. Idk why.