Downloads:  Two missions: one for German and one for Russian tanks that can be played as a single player or COOP.

Mission:
Destroy the 35 enemy tanks in and around the city of Zarubovka on the Lapino map during Winter. 

Description

These missions can be played single player, but are different from the usual  single player mission because they are not played from the single player option, but rather from the multiplayer option of your game.  To load the mission, you simply select MULTIPLAYER in your game menu, then DOGFIGHT, then select CREATE SERVER (next to JOIN SERVER),  Then choose what server options you'd like, select the mission to be played, realism options and then START.  If you're new to the game and only wish to play single player whilst shying away from multiplayer, then don't worry as this mode is very easy.  Although your game is played "online", it is only available online if you wish it to be as it can be password protected, and/or made invisible to online users via a simple box check in the server menu when you select your server options.  Also, I believe you'd need to set up some ports in your router if you wish to play it COOP (I don't know anything about that).  Regardless, it's a piece of cake to play single player online, and the game will load as fast or even faster than the usual single player option.

It's not a fast mission as it's more like a rat hunt than a ranging tank battle because it takes time to root out and eliminate the enemy.  Some tanks are driving around on patrol,  while others are stationary.  There are no anti tank guns or revetments.  It's also not easy, and one can expect to die a lot (especially in a Pz iii) unless you choose to make yourself invulnerable, or cautiously drive a Tiger.  However, because it's played from your own "server", you can grab a fresh tank from one of four conveniently located tank bases adjacent to the battle and get right back in to the battle without having to reload the game each time as in dedicated single player missions.  At the South Tank Base "captured tanks" are available for those who wish to play similar against similar (I was surprised to be able to kill a Tiger while in a Pz iii). It's a good mission to experiment with all the tanks against all the Ai tanks.  Also, because only the city of Zarubovka is loaded on the Lapino map, the game is very framerate friendly, even on my crappy CPU.  I chose the Lapino map because my computer has crash issues with the Kuban and Rhein maps.  Zarubovka is also a large city that can accomodate a lot of tanks and is featured in IL2's Tank Scenarios under the Fast Tank battle title.  In fact, it was the single player fast tank battle missions that inspired these missions.  I like playing them, but felt they were too short, had too many distractions (planes and artillery) and lacked all the playable tanks.

Installation:  Unzip to: IL2 GB/data/Multiplayer/Dogfight folder.

In game:  Go to Multiplayer/Dogfight/Create Server/Start..make sure mission is selected for rotation in your server options.  The game restarts one minute after you complete the mission and you can either stay with it and play again or quit.

Final notes:

If you like these missions and want to try them in Summer and Autumn, I can also make them available, but they are harder due to foliage obscuring your visibility, where as the Ai can see you even if you can't see them.  However, the enemy tanks sometimes seem easier to spot due to their color being different than the surroundings (unlike Winter where the white tanks on white are sometimes more difficult).  I will post the other seasons if there are requests to do so.

Also, feel free to modify these missions, rename, and repost to share with us any improvements.  The only request I make is that you remember to rename the missions so they don't overwrite these versions.  These are my first stab a mission building and I'm sure a skilled mission builder could make these a lot better, and certainly more difficult.  I have no authorship claim, and just want to have some fun missions available for all, especially anyone who would like to put them up on a dedicated server to play COOP.

RussianClearZarWinter.zip GermanClearZarWinter.zip

Edited by klunker
Replaced the Zip download files (First version were not right)
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

My apologies the folks who downloaded the Zip files I put up yesterday as they were not formatted correctly  which voided my unzip instructions.  They were Zips within a Zip (very weird!).  I was having trouble uploading the files the first time around and had to reinstall Winzip to get it working.  Must have done something wrong.  I should have tested the zips then but didn't until just now.

OK..so now I've corrected the Zip files and tested them and they are good.  

Note:  The Zips yesterday would also work, but one would have to do a lot of extra zipping to get it done.  I'm still baffled by it! 

Tanks for sharing!

Will try them immediately.

4 hours ago, klunker said:

My apologies the folks who downloaded the Zip files I put up yesterday as they were not formatted correctly  which voided my unzip instructions.  They were Zips within a Zip (very weird!).  I was having trouble uploading the files the first time around and had to reinstall Winzip to get it working.  Must have done something wrong.  I should have tested the zips then but didn't until just now.

OK..so now I've corrected the Zip files and tested them and they are good.  

Note:  The Zips yesterday would also work, but one would have to do a lot of extra zipping to get it done.  I'm still baffled by it! 

Reminds me of an old girlfriend To many Zippers ☺