Jason_Williams

Flight-Sim Expo 2020 Las Vegas, NV June 12-14th 2020

Pilots, 

The Flight-Sim Expo will once again be happening, this time in fabulous Las Vegas, Nevada at the Tropicana Hotel June 12th – 14th 2020. Previous shows were a lot of fun and gives me a chance to hang out with flight-simmers from all over the world in person. Sturmovik will once again have a strong presence with cockpits to play Sturmovik. We’ll likely share our space with another quality partner like we did last year. Check out www.flightsimexpo.com for more information and to register. I live in Las Vegas and this town offers fun like no other. I would love for as many of you to attend as possible. The show has grown every year and it’s a good time. I hope we can debut a new aircraft there as we did last year.

Regular.thumb.png.9fbf097937a91bcb92e6cdd0636429c4.png

If you are able to go let me know in this thread so we can plan to meet up.

Jason

• Like 6
  • Upvote 8

Thats good to know. I also live in Las Vegas. As a retired video editor I spend my days making music and flying in  Il2 Sturmovik in VR with a motion platform. This sounds like a real good time. Thanks for the update.

• Like 1

Blaster,

Let's get together. I'd love to see your motion rig. I would love to compare your VR performance to mine also.

Jason

Sounds good. My rig consists of an Odyssey Plus (running on a Falcon Tiki computer) and a Next Level Racing motion platform. Im on the westish side of town .If you are on Facebook I can be contacted below. If not let me know and I will send you a message with my email info.

https://www.facebook.com/tom.daigon

Looking forward to it! I'm planning to be there and I'd love to informally organize a meet-up at the booth as well if folks from the community are interested!

• Upvote 1

I can probably make it out for Friday. Do you set up on Thursday and do you want help? I can come in early with this schedule.

I'm going to try and make this one, clashes with wifes birthday again, so I need to come up with some creative manipulation ;)

• Haha 1

UPDATE!  My plans have changed. Until there is a vaccine for the Corona Virus, I will not be attending large social gatherings. At my age, its not worth the risk. Maybe next year.

Edited by Blasterlasvideo

Made it to the last two of these and had a blast both times.  It was great meeting up with Jason and several of the community members I'd only known through the forums over the years, and lots of fun playing around with the great setup in the IL-2 GB booth when crowds died down a bit.

Not sure what my travel situation will be later this summer (already had to cancel a cruise this month because of some family medical issues IRL), but I'll be there if I can.  Certainly recommend it for anyone who has a chance to get there.

Looks like I'm coming, will book tickets and a room at the tropicana over the next few days

I'll be doing my best to get the time off, we have to go flying after all 😁

On 2/25/2020 at 4:55 AM, Herne said:

I'm going to try and make this one, clashes with wifes birthday again, so I need to come up with some creative manipulation ;)

"Honey, I booked us in at the flight sim convention. I know you've always dreamed of flying a Spitfire in VR..."
"You pig! You dolt! How dare you! After X years of marriage, you must know I will only ever fly the P-38!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok so flights booked, 10 -16 june. Hotel booked, not booked the FS expo ticket yet, need confirmation from wife if she wants one first, otherwise she can entertain herself at the pool. 

@Jason_Williams Will you be available for a few Beers somewhere over the weekend ?

4 hours ago, Herne said:

Ok so flights booked, 10 -16 june. Hotel booked, not booked the FS expo ticket yet, need confirmation from wife if she wants one first, otherwise she can entertain herself at the pool. 

@Jason_Williams Will you be available for a few Beers somewhere over the weekend ?

Yes, of course. 😀

Jason

Posted (edited)

June 12th Stornaway

June 13th Ullapool

June 14th Edinburgh.

I may not be able to make it... 😲

Edited by 216th_Cat

Had a survey come through for the FS expo this morning. 

I voted to wait and see, flights and hotel are booked and if there is a chance at the moment that I may be able to fly in June, I would still like to go

I voted to postpone it until next year. Even if they get it off this year still, it's going to be a dud and I don't feel like busting my hump to setup for a show no one attends because of lingering issues with travel and the virus. This isn't going to be over in June. Maybe restrictions will be less, but people are afraid to travel even inside the U.S. let alone mingle and breath on each other and touch joysticks. I also don't like the liability involved. But we'll see. 

Jason

• Like 2
  • Upvote 12

9 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

I voted to postpone it until next year. Even if they get it off this year still, it's going to be a dud and I don't feel like busting my hump to setup for a show no one attends because of lingering issues with travel and the virus. This isn't going to be over in June. Maybe restrictions will be less, but people are afraid to travel even inside the U.S. let alone mingle and breath on each other and touch joysticks. I also don't like the liability involved. But we'll see. 

Jason

Honestly, I think that's the only rational call to make. Personally, I'm making no plans for anything this summer at all right now. Even if it is over by end of May (probably the earliest realistic date) it's going to take a long time to untangle everything.

This might be a silly suggestion, but do you think it would be possible to do a 'digital expo' on one of those days? Like some kind of livestream from you or the team showing off what you guys see as the best parts of the game, and (dare I ask) some teasers for upcoming work? Like a live dev diary. Obviously not as good as a real in-person expo but might make up for the loss of the convention, if it's feasible.

6 hours ago, RAFHerne said:

Had a survey come through for the FS expo this morning. 

I voted to wait and see, flights and hotel are booked and if there is a chance at the moment that I may be able to fly in June, I would still like to go

I would make sure to keep an eye on cancellation penalties and dates and make sure you don't miss them. Some acquaintances of mine have had flights, weddings, and other events cancelled and some have not gotten their money back. It's fine to wait and see but it would suck to lose all that money if things don't end up going ahead. Maybe keep an eye on the vendors too, even if the event is on not much point in going if the people you want to see aren't there.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I would have loved to attend, put faces to names etc , but there is no chance of this ending any time soon. Don't bank on the event going ahead. Don't bank on being in church on Easter Sunday. Don't travel, stay at home.Do try to get your money back sooner rather than later. Do play IL2, a lot. Do make use of these wonderful community forums to keep in touch with each other. Do stay safe. Do believe it will end. 

Salute

Edited by J5_Spyboy
Additional info
  • Upvote 2

I think it will be very wise that they simply cancel this event for this year.  I knows that there is a lot of money involved and it is not an easy decision, but some large technology events taking place in June have been cancelled already.

Not only the attendance will be very limited but there is a good chance that a large number of participants will not be there just because of the safety and health hazard issues, either on the fair, during transport and booth setup. Countries are not getting at the peak at the same time, so the decrease will take many months before people may accept again to be squashed on top of each other whatever their origin in overbooked planes, airports, hotels and public events. Except a miracle cure available to everybody in the world in a matter of two to three weeks and 98% effective I am afraid this disruption in our lives may linger until end of this year at best. There is another possibility and that is about a quick and easy test that can screen who is immune and who is at risk. This could allow to organize the work with certified immune people free to travel and work (and earn a living), the others still having to be in containment with all the financial consequences. Ethically this is pure discrimination, with two categories of citizens. Anyway all this is a big challenge for our democracies and our globalized just-in-time economies.

Our memory because of our present way of life  is very short term. We just are used to zap events, and in general learn nothing or not much. Here a nice chronological series.

- H1N1 Spanish Flu 1918-19 (real origin is not Spain as the first known case was military in USA but due to military personnel mobility at end of WWI the real origin is debated).

- H3N2 Hong Kong 1968-70

- HIV - 1981 - present

- SARS 2002-03

- H1N1 (Swine Flu) 2009-2010

- MERS Cov 2012 - present(Camel flu, but origin in bats)

- Ebola 2014-16

- COVID-19 2019 - present

As you see things accelerate. Next one in 2024? Are we ready. No.

- and many others (avian, swine origins like H1N2) waiting the right conditions created by human societies around the world to mutate in a form that will make their day. Did we learn something since SARS unfortunately not. Will it be different this time, probably no because memories fade very very quickly.

Edited by IckyATLAS