PatrickAWlson

PWCG for Flying Circus

@J2_SteveF I think @PatrickAWlson resolved the FC mission object problem a couple of versions back.

FWIW - I also only play in VR, which is why I was really happy to see FC - what an amazing VR experience it is in these WWI aircraft.  For me, taking off the headset between missions isn't really a bad thing, I just view it like removing flight goggles and climbing out of the cockpit to go chat with the intel officer for a mission debrief. 

As a SP, I really like having a full campaign to keep some "purpose" to my flying and for WWI VR, PWCG is the only game in town right now.  Plus, even with having to remove the headset, I honestly prefer it with all the enhancements Pat has provided lately that provide real depth to what has become a dynamic "squadron simulation" experience as well as the pilot career.

That said, I agree that it would be nice if it could be accessed directly in game like RoF.  I also hope for Vol II with a Career Mode, I still fly both Career and PWCG in BoX, and I think it would pull in more SP sales.  I keep posting here because I just hate to see people turn away from FC right now when PWCG will give many exactly what they want, and maybe even better.

• Upvote 1

On 6/7/2020 at 1:37 PM, the_dudeWG said:

I didn’t think of that, but these images were from January missions. I just started a new campaign in August and everything looks normal. If this is the case, I’m definitely not a fan, especially the ground trail effect. If the rest of the map looked Wintery, it might be OK. 

I'll look at the map and make sure that I am using something that is actually there.  I might have accidentally asked for winter terrain that does not exist.

• Thanks 1

Hello Pat! I have used the campaign generator for Bodenplatte and I think its awesome. Thank you!

I went ahead and picked up FC and PWCGFC 9.2. I'm attempting to create a campaign and it is failing. Let me know if this is user error or something.

PWCGErrorLog.txt

Posted (edited)

I have the same, the Russian ladies are missing from the installation folder. Manually copying from the PWGCBoS folder does not fix this ..

PWGFC_9.2.0 error.jpg

PWCGErrorLog.txt

Edited by jollyjack

I went ahead and created a first names text file for Russian females and added some female names and it works. I think Pat just forgot to add a file.

• Thanks 1

Pat, after flying a couple dozen missions I've sort of noticed a pattern that wasn't there in PWCG for RoF. It seems like every different squad's mission begins at the same time (friendly or enemy), so there is literally no contact until everyone reaches the mud or shortly afterward. In PWCG for RoF, I remember seeing squads that appeared to be RTB as my flight was just heading out, and EA could be airborne and above friendly territory at any point during the mission. Here, it just feels like an NFL kickoff on a 100km field. Am I totaly wrong about that? Thanks,

• Upvote 2

So I recently bought FC during the summer sale and was delighted to see PWCG is now available for it. I installed it and loaded up a new campaign, but when I generate one, it throws up an error and wont let me start. Here's the error log:

The first error was : java.io.FileNotFoundException: E:\Games\IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles\PWCGFC\FCData\User\PlanesOwned.config (The system cannot find the file specified)

Now it only gives this: pwcg.core.exception.PWCGIOException: E:\Games\IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles\PWCGFC\FCData\Names\FirstNamesRussiaFemale.txt (The system cannot find the file specified)

I'd really love to some some single player stuff as the servers aren't always populated so any help is appreciated.

look at the video’s from Pat:

Is there any sort of support for gunners in PWCG for co-op? Thinking of doing a co-op career in Bristol Fighters with a couple friends of mine, with those who don't own riding along as gunners to hopefully entice them to pick it up, can PWCG keep track of gunner kills as their own characters, or do we just claim gunner kills with the pilot as crew kills?

On 7/5/2020 at 3:02 PM, migmadmarine said:

Is there any sort of support for gunners in PWCG for co-op? Thinking of doing a co-op career in Bristol Fighters with a couple friends of mine, with those who don't own riding along as gunners to hopefully entice them to pick it up, can PWCG keep track of gunner kills as their own characters, or do we just claim gunner kills with the pilot as crew kills?

PWCG does not support gunners as their own persona

I'll get something in place to fix the failure to find Russian female names.  It is not used by FC and should not be a requirement.  In the meantime just drop a text file - doesn't matter what's in it.  Female pilots will not be generated in FC.

I figured that was the case, would be kinda cool but I don't know if it would be possible with the way the game handles gunners.

Hi Pat, thanks for such an amazing tool!

I ran into a couple issues I wanted to share with you:

1. It seems setting skins for the squadron is not possible, neither from the skin management tab, nor when clicking on the plane in the pilot's tab. I like to fly JASTA 11 campaigns and ofc Manfred needs his red paint hehe. Is there something I am missing?

2. Is there a skin pack for the FC aircraft for PWCG? I couldn't find a link.

3. Autopilot does not seem to work more often than it does. I only got it to work in an albatros starting at the earliest date, if I select any later dates, it didn't work. I know hardcore simming and such, but more often than not the campaign will select high alt missions with a circular climb out that can take very long, I like to just flick on the autopilot and do something else in the meantime (rarely one gets attacked on climb out already.)

4. If your squadron is stuck with the alabtros on german side in later missions you are sometimes pitted against impossible odds. In one mission there were only S.E.5s and they did not even enter a turn fight, they just kept buzzing us, flying away a km or two, then turning back in and rinse and repeat, all the way back to base. On one side, this was a great experience, since the AI suddenly seemed much smarter than it is. On the other side it got old very quick already in the next mission. There was not a single plane you could either chase or run away from and that would even remotely think of entering a turn fight with you. So you kinda end up either as fodder or as an observer. It would be good if albatros missions could be balanced with some of the more suitable counterparts, same goes for DR-1 missions btw imo. Like, it is great to face overwhelming odds, but there should be the occasional doable dolphin etc in there, too, to provide some success moments as well. In the DR.1 you have more luck that the enemy will enter a turn fight with you though, the albatros for some reason almost exclusively evokes a boom and zoom behavior in them.

Thanks again for such a great tool!

I tested a bit more, and sometimes the autopilot seems to work, but on its own, not within the flight. I think this is in general a DR-1 issue, I've seen some odd AI behavior. Also the flight lead and remaining wingmen did not climb out the climb out waypoints, they just settled at 1000m and stayed there, while my ac kept climbing the profile with AP on.

In general I think the climb out waypoints are very dull and more than often unnecessary, could just very well climb out while flying to the objective. To be completely honest, I wish they were not there, it is quite rare to have an objective 10km from you at 4000m. Or maybe the campaign logic could be restructured in that area a bit, to rather have the objective a bit further out, or longer climb out legs leading towards the objective, but having to fly a circle around the airport for 30 min every mission kinda breaks the fun for me. If that would happen every 10th or so mission for a high altitude flight, ok, but almost every mission is too much imo. Except for low alt patrol, which are rare (I dont tinker with the config), every mission starts like that, which really makes starting a new mission, well, repetitive. I have to think twice if I want to fly another one, just cause I cant stomach that ever same climb out again and again and again and again and again. Which is a pitty in an else really awesome campaign tool. Some diversity would go a long way imo for the climb out waypoints.

I hope that didnt sound to negative, albeit I do experience the constant hexagon as very negative, so just trying to be honest. Many thanks again for all your hard work, it is more than appreciated!

19 hours ago, 104th_IronMike said:

In general I think the climb out waypoints are very dull and more than often unnecessary, could just very well climb out while flying to the objective. To be completely honest, I wish they were not there, it is quite rare to have an objective 10km from you at 4000m.

Just an FYI that you have control over WP in the mission screens.  You can also turn off the climbing WP completely in the Advanced Config:

image.thumb.png.585cb1509625782e431e7c0f4f764496.png

1 hour ago, Varibraun said:

Just an FYI that you have control over WP in the mission screens.  You can also turn off the climbing WP completely in the Advanced Config:

image.thumb.png.585cb1509625782e431e7c0f4f764496.png

Oh wow, I should have tinkered some more with the config before complaining, although I do stand by my opinion that it is too repetitive even if only as default. I wouldnt mind such missions every now and then, just not always. Turning it off seems a good compromise though. Thanks a lot, I am not a huge fan of airstart missions else, so this is good to know. Thanks a ton!

• Like 1

A quick update, skin selection works, if one has skins in the custom folders, it seems that official skins are not considered. I added that huge fc skin bundle, and now I can assign skins. However, the assignments do not seem to be reflected in game. I assigned them from the skin management tab, but in game they all fly with the default skin.

How do recon missions work? I figured out that you can use the camera via bomber view, but how do you make photos? Bomb release button or is this just for role play?

Just another little update, started an albatros campaign again with Jasta 11, from the earliest possible date, and enemies were right away only S.E.5s again. With the current AI behavior in the SE5 you usually get wrecked way before you can even get to your mission objective (as 9 out of 10 times you wont get them to turn with you). Like I said, I absolutely do not mind to deal with occasional SE5s, even in every mission, but it would still be nice if the albatros would be given a bit better chance flying against dolphins or camels, bristols and such. But maybe I am just unlucky to get such missions, I couldnt say. It is just something I am noticing over and over again and thought maybe it is worth a look.

PS I feel bad for criticising an else absolutely outstanding program and an incredible enrichment of the il2 world, I do it in the hope it helps as feedback. Thanks again for all the great work!

4 hours ago, 104th_IronMike said:

Just another little update, started an albatros campaign again with Jasta 11, from the earliest possible date, and enemies were right away only S.E.5s again. With the current AI behavior in the SE5 you usually get wrecked way before you can even get to your mission objective (as 9 out of 10 times you wont get them to turn with you). Like I said, I absolutely do not mind to deal with occasional SE5s, even in every mission, but it would still be nice if the albatros would be given a bit better chance flying against dolphins or camels, bristols and such. But maybe I am just unlucky to get such missions, I couldnt say. It is just something I am noticing over and over again and thought maybe it is worth a look.

PS I feel bad for criticising an else absolutely outstanding program and an incredible enrichment of the il2 world, I do it in the hope it helps as feedback. Thanks again for all the great work!

I know exactly what you mean. However, it is how it is and I am actually impressed that SE5 pilots use their extremly fast machine to their advantage and dont turn. The albatros was just outdated even the newer 5a variant.

But yes it is very boring after some time. Is there not a line to tweak the odds of fighter models?

On 7/14/2020 at 4:02 PM, ZeroCrack01 said:

How do recon missions work? I figured out that you can use the camera via bomber view, but how do you make photos? Bomb release button or is this just for role play?

Just fly the route.  There is no camera graphic as in RoF.

On 7/16/2020 at 8:34 AM, 104th_IronMike said:

The SE5a was historically available at that time and allocation is also historical.  Dolphin comes online later, so it will be Camels, SE5a, Bristol (every two seater is a Bristol), and SPAD XIII (French and maybe one British unit).  I would expect you to see a mix of SE5as and Camels.  

On 7/13/2020 at 10:33 PM, 104th_IronMike said:

A quick update, skin selection works, if one has skins in the custom folders, it seems that official skins are not considered. I added that huge fc skin bundle, and now I can assign skins. However, the assignments do not seem to be reflected in game. I assigned them from the skin management tab, but in game they all fly with the default skin.

Hi, IronMike. I just wanted to let you (and all PWCG users) know that I’m helping Pat update and incorporate all of our available squadron and ace skins. Hopefully you will see an update soon. This update is also dependent on a big update coming to @GCF’s unofficial skin bundle, which is in its final stages of a complete renaming/restructuring process. You will definitely see a huge improvement in skin usage soon, I promise. 

As far as assigning skins currently using the available “loose” skins, I think you need to do this prior to generating the mission. Once you do this, you should be good for all future missions. Also, you will not be able to assign skins to historical aces, but that’s why I’ve updated the skin code in PWCG. If the skin currently exists, all aces will appear with their proper skins very soon. Please feel free to PM me if you have any skin related questions. Cheers!

• Thanks 3

Thanks for the replies, guys!

as for the SE5a, I like that the AI does not go into stupid turn mode (spad is the same btw, you can try in quick mission, both just wont turn with the albatros), I also think it is great to have them in, historically. A suggestion for playability for the albatros would be just to limit SE5 and Spad flights on the enemy side, if an albatros is chosen as player aircraft. A single flight of SE5s or spads here and there is totally fine, but so many missions seem to be flooded by them, which makes flying the campaign with the albatros just a tad tedious/ useless. While I agree that aircraft should be pitched against historical contrahents, it is just a playability issue, when they are pitched against overwhelming odds all the time, so you just lose interest in flying it. Just makes choosing an early start campaign on german side a bit tedious is all. Maybe an option to limit number of opponents per type or something would be possible? I am not even a huge albatros fan, haha, I just wanna fly jasta 11 from start to finish lol..

It also seems the DVa in game is slower than what I found listed at 187km/h, I think it is an older motor version? A bit odd choice to not add the faster version by 1C, but what can you do..

Anyhow, thanks for replies and maybe sparing a thought to the issue.

IronMike, in the advanced campaign options it is possible to adjust the number and size of enemy fighter and bomber flights. You can set the minimum number of planes in a flight, the number of possible extra planes in that flight, and the maximum number of enemy flights that can be generated. I'm still playing with it. Not sure if I want more flights of fewer planes or fewer flights of more planes.

Pat and the Dude, looking forward to the skin update you mentioned. I've assigned skins for my Pfalz squadron, but the enemy is pretty boring to look at.

I also started a Bristol campaign. I didn't see any Falcon III's available at any starting date. I'm not very familiar with when various WW1 planes came into service, but I thought the FIII was the most common version of the Bristol? Also, are there any missions to bomb enemy airfields, bridges, or factories? So far I've only had recon missions and a few bombing missions right at the front lines.

Hallo, i am newcomer. I want to install your "PWCG" with "JSGME". What is the path to do this?

Hi Pat, a couple of questions about skin assignments to AI squadron mates if I may. The list of pilots when I select skin management is shorter than the list of pilots in the main roster. In Jasta 5, Mai, Rumey and Baeumer for example are on the Main roster, but don’t turn up on the skin management list.

Also, should it be possible to click directly on the plane on a specific pilot screen to select a skin as per the character photo above as an alternative way to access skin management? 
Love your work Pat.

3 hours ago, ZiggyZiggyStar said:

Hi Pat, a couple of questions about skin assignments to AI squadron mates if I may. The list of pilots when I select skin management is shorter than the list of pilots in the main roster. In Jasta 5, Mai, Rumey and Baeumer for example are on the Main roster, but don’t turn up on the skin management list.

Also, should it be possible to click directly on the plane on a specific pilot screen to select a skin as per the character photo above as an alternative way to access skin management? 
Love your work Pat.

Hi, ZiggyZiggyStar. FYI - Mai, Rummey and Baumer are historical aces and can't be assigned skins. The game will assign them their proper skins, but this is still a work in progress. Hopefully it will be included in the next PWCG update. S!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, the_dudeWG said:

Hi, ZiggyZiggyStar. FYI - Mai, Rummey and Baumer are historical aces and can't be assigned skins. The game will assign them their proper skins, but this is still a work in progress. Hopefully it will be included in the next PWCG update. S!

Thanks for that dudeWG. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, -332FG-REDMAN said:

are Alb, Pfalz, and DR 1 the only planes for FC campaign?

Only early on in 1917. I think the jastas get the D7 around the beginning of June 1918, .... and the bomber/recon shlastas use the Halberstadt of course.

Edited by the_dudeWG

10 hours ago, the_dudeWG said:

Only early on in 1917. I think the jastas get the D7 around the beginning of June 1918, .... and the bomber/recon shlastas use the Halberstadt of course.

OK I'm new to PWCG so thanks for your patience. So I can't start a Campaign with a D7 correct?

Posted (edited)

You can if you set the start date of the campaign later. I believe Jasta 5 is the first to get the D7 (June 1), followed by Jasta 11 (June 5) and Jasta 2 (June 10). Most of the other squads have D7 by July '18. S!

Edit: you might need to start even later than the dates listed because you might need to use up your inventory of Dr1s or DVas before you are assigned a D7.

Edited by the_dudeWG

I just created a new campaign, July 1, 1918 in Jasta 5, and the squadron has 3 D7Fs and the rest are all D7s. Click on "Equipment" at the top of the page to see your squad's livery.

OK I found the D.VII's not sure how to start in July everything starts in January for me.

I won't bother you after this. In advanced config in FC I can't change anything in mission limits and in IL-2 I keep getting a null error when trying to add a new person and it refers me to the ROF forums.

I can't continue my Campaign when I try to fly a new mission and add the pilots it won't accept the names and I can't click on coop. For some reason it's replacing the names of player to null.

Hey, @-332FG-REDMAN, that doesn't look like PWCG for FC. I don't have the other BoS titles, so I'm definitely not an expert in this area. I believe you need to use a different version of PWCG.

From the PWCG website

2020_07.29-23_27.jpg.4d2169d05a3f136db24e59cbafb617f1.jpg