Sign in to follow this  
cardboard_killer

P-38 Mappings for CH quadrant

I've settled on the important mappings (as I see them) on my CH quadrant for the P-38. I have flaps/eject/dive breaks mapped to my joystick. Comments from experienced P-38 drivers welcome.

I am right handed and set up the quadrant on my left hand.

• Axes from right to left: Engine 2 (E2) red throttle; Engine red 1 throttle; E2 blue mixture; E1 blue mixture; E2 black RPM; E1 black RPM.
  • Buttons
    • B0 Fire rockets
    • B1 Drop bombs
    • B2 not mapped
    • B3 Reset trimmers
    • B4/B5 Left/Right Aileron Trim axis (not used on P-38)
    • B6/B7 Up/Down Elevator Trim axis
    • B8/B9 Left/Right Rudder Trim axis
    • B10 Open/close canopy
    • B11 Supercharger mode (not used on P-38)

I will probably move B10 & B11 to something else (or move the trimmers down and move B10/B11 to B4/B5?) as it is too easy to open the canopy accidentally--they are both legacy buttons from my Yak/IL-2 mapping. Thanks to @Blasterlasvideo for inspiring me to try out the P-38; I've not flown any twin engine planes until now.

I typically keep weapons related bindings on stick and plane/engine related on throttle. One thing you can do is map a joystick button to shift and use it as a modifier for the throttle mapping you don't want to accidentally activate. 

8 hours ago, driftaholic said:

I typically keep weapons related bindings on stick and plane/engine related on throttle. One thing you can do is map a joystick button to shift and use it as a modifier for the throttle mapping you don't want to accidentally activate. 

I used to use the bombs/rockets from my stick with a shift button, but pressing the shift button affects my hand so that I'm jerking the stick. I may indeed put it back to the stick after more experimentation, though. It does get tedious changing a setting for one plane and then having to copy past files so that the mappings are applied to all the other plane mappings I've got.