Sign in to follow this  
BP_Lizard

Rift S ghetto headphone hack.

Finally got fed up with the halo’s lackluster built-in headphones. I bought a PS4 earbuds from Amazon that didn’t quite work out so I returned it. The Bionik Mantis looked really good but costs around $40 - $50, and I’m a cheap bast@rd. Reading about the Koss headphone mod gave me an idea on using one of the old headphones in the ‘stuff bin.’
I have an old Sony that’s not being used anymore. Modding it was pretty simple - just cut the cable to length and solder the leads. The baffles were held by two screws so opening the can was really easy. For the clips, I used the clips from the garage door remotes, snipped them to length and attached them on the headphone arms with heat-shrink tubings.  
I’d say the sound quality was pretty good. Without the headband, the cans were not pressed against the ears so some of the low frequencies escape. Still, it was leaps and bounds compared to the tinny stock phones.

0A8F48E1-5552-4C4D-90E4-CCB8EBA33736.jpeg

Side view:

545A7DB0-BFDC-4BA4-90E0-511039F3279D.jpeg

Edited by BlitzPigsBP_Lizard
  • Like 4

Nice. Looks good, the heatshrink worked well. I was thinking about doing something to my Rift S - I was missing the old integrated headset of the CV1. But I found a decent set of bluetooth 5.0 aptx wireless earbuds for fairly cheap ($40) and have been incredibly impressed with their performance. No wires, just leave the charging case plugged into the usb hub on the desk and it's been good.  I can't discern any latency with these new ones like I did with an old set of Bluetooth 4 earbuds I had from a few years ago.

7 hours ago, [CPT]HawkeyeP said:

But I found a decent set of bluetooth 5.0 aptx wireless earbuds for fairly cheap ($40) and have been incredibly impressed with their performance. 

That sounds interesting. Could you post a link, please? Thank you.

Edited by BlitzPigsBP_Lizard

There is lots of options but I grabbed the Bomaker Sifi. Lightning deal on Amazon last week. 

• Thanks 1