Han

Developer Diary 241 - Discussion

1 hour ago, III/JG52_Lothar29 said:

Great work Team! in your Line!.. thanks 

new damage model :)

ec78556f119613e06c046c01ce047188.jpg.5dfe9a9cf90938f8a16e6e871c1c7381.jpg

That is pretty much what all the aircraft look like after I have finished flying them! 😉

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

I want that model, thats very creative.

1 hour ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

That is pretty much what all the aircraft look like after I have finished flying them! 😉

Same for me. But I doubt the damage model has anything to do with it 😀

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LLv24_Zami said:

Same for me. But I doubt the damage model has anything to do with it 😀

Yep, enjoy the ink spots😀

• Haha 1

Very nice!  

I am truly impressed that not only are the Devs building the new BoN module, they are also creating new assets and improvements for the BoX series as a whole.  

It's awesome to see that my purchases, while invoiced as specific individual items, are being used as a "blanket" investment into the entirety of the series.  BoM, BoS, BoK, FC, TC, and BoBp are still benefitting from the work being done! 

It's very rare to see Devs do that. Usually when they call a project "good" it's instantly forgotten...  and on to the next thing.

~S~ !!!  

Edited by Mobile_BBQ
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 5

15 minutes ago, Mobile_BBQ said:

Very nice!  

I am truly impressed that not only are the Devs building the new BoN module, they are also creating new assets and improvements for the BoX series as a whole.  

It's awesome to see that my purchases, while invoiced as specific individual items, are being used as a "blanket" investment into the entirety of the series.  BoM, BoS, BoK, FC, TC, and BoBp are still benefitting from the work being done! 

It's very rare to see Devs do that. Usually when they call a project "good" it's instantly forgotten...  and on to the next thing.

~S~ !!!  

But that's not been this team's MO from the beginning. It wasn't that long ago that all the maps were upgraded to maybe the then new Kuban standard? I'm not completely positive when but it was a huge free upgrade we all enjoyed.

Lots of new excitement headed our way. The continued evolution of the AI and an upgrade to the damage model will be a huge improvement.

Why? IL2 already has the best damage model in the business and challenging AI. I see higher priorities like upgrading maps fidelity or adding some ground physics.

Just now, RhumbaAzul said:

Appreciate the continuing work @Jason_Williams. Thanks.

Can we expect some water traffic in Bodenplatte at some point? I like sinking things.

Don't thank me, thank the guys. They do all the hard work. More boats would be cool, but I don't have anyone or a budget to build them.

Jason

• Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Don't thank me, thank the guys. They do all the hard work. More boats would be cool, but I don't have anyone or a budget to build them.

Jason

Could the ships from Kuban be re-used? That would be more than enough for me. I'm not a coder so admittedly i have no idea how possible or easy this would be to do. Cheers.

• Upvote 1

Anything could be used, but I have no one besides Viks to create original Career mission templates that would include them and Viks is swamped with other more important things. Mission builders could of course make custom missions with them and any boats or ships.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Rjel said:

But that's not been this team's MO from the beginning...

To be clear, I'm not expecting full across-all-modules overhauls.  I hope and daydream about it, but I don't expect it. 

I just think that it is very cool that the "new" work also has micro tweaks and seemingly "bonus" treats/assets that can also retroactively improve the older portions of the series.  

17 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Anything could be used, but I have no one besides Viks to create original Career mission templates that would include them and Viks is swamped with other more important things. Mission builders could of course make custom missions with them and any boats or ships.

Jason

I suppose it'd be too much effort to partner with community members to create the templates? Too much of learning curve and too much uncertainty about follow-through?

I remember that the RoF modding of ground units produced a few nice results, but I could easily see it not having been worth the effort (relative to simply hiring someone to build them on contract). It'd be really nice if there was some way to magically increase your available budget... buying a collector plane or two really feels like only a drop in the bucket compared to finding a way to increase the audience.

As a fellow pilot I´d say they are improving the product as best they can with the resources and sources available. Not any simulation is perfect but they`re really working hard for us. I have an easy job comparing to them 😀

• Upvote 1

Thank you Jason for actively participating the thread. I appreciate the straight talk, and I really am astonished how much you can deliver for such a small team. I don't think that most of us really understand how much is owed by so many to so few.

And I'm not even mentioning what IL-2's future looked like in its early days. I was early backer because of sooo promising technique, but got so frustrated because of weird gaming decisions. By the time of Kuban release I came back and have been so happy to see that focus has been turned to where it should have been. And since I've bought everything you sell.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jason_Williams said:

Jason

You need to clone him, then you have a viks-1 and viks-2 unit and everyone will be happy 😉

3 hours ago, Avimimus said:

I suppose it'd be too much effort to partner with community members to create the templates? Too much of learning curve and too much uncertainty about follow-through?

I've seen the template files used with ROF's career mode, and believe me, they aren't something that are easy to create. It's not really something that could be farmed out to the community.

• Thanks 1

Looking forward to the updated DM, it always feels good to hear that the devs continue paying attention to the core features of the sim and they take a continuous improvement approach instead of being done. Same goes for the Soviet pilot model.

Ambulances and animated tankers are also very welcome, they will add a lot of immersion to the airfields. Definitely not a must, but it would be amazing to have snow plows and tractors with the bombs as vehicles too. Just a suggestion for the future.

I feel very lucky to have one of my hobbies in the hands of such a talented and dedicated group of devs. Keep it up!

As a token of appreciation I bought a few key to give away to the community.

One question, it will be justified to get punished points if you destroy a Red Cross vehicle.

The_Red_Cross_of_the_Geneva_Convention_by_Clara_Barton_1878.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nice, looking forward to the damage and the AI improvements for sure!

I'm so glad to see that after the soviet planes getting some 4k love we're also getting new pilot models!

Nice ground vehicles btw hopefully they will not simply explode now.

Im fairly new to the party, however anything where devs are open on progress and mention more attention to AI is always a good thing in my book regardless of priorities :)

1 hour ago, Calius1945 said:

Im fairly new to the party, however anything where devs are open on progress and mention more attention to AI is always a good thing in my book regardless of priorities :)

Sometimes it takes a little while but as a fan for many years of 1CGS work, I can say that they do listen to our comments here and elsewhere and they do react. It can take a bit of time to do, as with most things sim related, but it's always good to see!

Also, welcome to the party! 😎

From the comments I read, I think people are getting the visual and physical damage models confused. They are working on improvements to the physical damage model. An improved visual damage model with 3d damaged panels like Cliffs would be a massive, expensive, and time-consuming undertaking.

• Upvote 2

"for instance, you'll better hear the hits on your aircraft in multiplayer."

Will this apply to single player as well?

Thanks for all the effort and hard work, we really appreciate it! :good:

On 2/21/2020 at 6:30 PM, namhee2 said:

Are female pilots being prepared right away?

I plan to add some missions to accompany the U-2 in the not too far future and I am planning to contract with someone to make a female Soviet pilot and gunner model so we can make the fabled Night Witches a reality.

Edited by ADorante

21 hours ago, LukeFF said:

I've seen the template files used with ROF's career mode, and believe me, they aren't something that are easy to create. It's not really something that could be farmed out to the community.

Thanks. I'm not surprised at all.

I guess I'll just hope that there will be enough funding and time in the future...!

On 2/21/2020 at 4:02 PM, Jason_Williams said:

No it means you get more realistic and reasonable damage. We didn't just add or subtract things, we re-built them almost from scratch and took more factors into consideration and eliminated old bugs and errors in algorithms etc. The end result is not known yet because we are doing another round of testing this weekend. 

Jason

For me, this is better news than a new map or a new plane. 
When it comes t the simulation of ww 2 aircombat this is top of the line. The fact you are working on these DM and improve it is what make this greater. 
thank you. 
AI improvements are welcomed too. But I knew this was wip. This DD is the best I read in a long time

Edited by LuseKofte
  • Like 1

A lot of hard work ! 👍 But please , don't miss make a video intros for BOBP , like BOK ... Without videos , this Great Battle looks like a beta version... 

On 2/21/2020 at 8:58 PM, Jason_Williams said:

Jason

Hello Jason, the future ships works for BON could will be aggregatet at BOBP even before the launch of BON if it is completed? 

Edited by andres43

3 hours ago, LuseKofte said:

For me, this is better news than a new map or a new plane. 
When it comes t the simulation of ww 2 aircombat this is top of the line. The fact you are working on these DM and improve it is what make this greater. 
thank you. 
AI improvements are welcomed too. But I knew this was wip. This DD is the best I read in a long time

Same feelings new a DM is in the top of my list, better than new planes.

This is what gives longevity to the Il2 series, and makes it the best simulator.

• Upvote 1

We're also working on further AI improvements, namely on how they dogfight. Update 4.005 will include these improvements. In the future, we'll begin working on its tactical level and on how they follow the commands

💛

4 hours ago, SCG_motoadve said:

Same feelings new a DM is in the top of my list, better than new planes.

This is what gives longevity to the Il2 series, and makes it the best simulator.

DM has NOTHING to do with new planes. So just stop such fallacies.

Jason

• Confused 6

1 minute ago, Jason_Williams said:

DM has NOTHING to do with new planes. So just stop such fallacies.

Jason

I said is on top of my list, which my own personal preference.

• Upvote 2

On 2/21/2020 at 11:57 AM, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

It's always a pleasure to see the sim being constantly worked on and improved. The soviet pilot looks fantastic but I'll just leave this here hopeful that the developers will be able to give us those pesky night witches at some point in the near future. 

IMG_20200221_165704.jpg

“That’s because Ivan’s plane is on fire!”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2