6./ZG26_Loke

Are these specs hopeless for VR

Intel Core i5-4670K
4 threads - 3.4 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
8 GB VRAM

8 GB RAM

I have 2080 Ti GPU, 4.6GHZ CPU, and 32GB RAM at 3200 and can only run the simplest of missions without reprojection at medium graphics settings. I have HP Reverb. Even Stalingrad career "at low density" stutters severely when my 190A-3 gets jumped by several I-16s. And this is with reprojection turned on which introduces a new set of problems such as double-images (also called: ghosting), and image distortions (obvious when looking at replays in VR). The cockpits are mesmerizing in Reverb, but the rest of the graphics is a severe downgrade. I am debating with myself if I should return the Reverb, I still have about a week left out of their "30 days free returns" policy.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, WheelwrightPL said:

I have 2080 Ti GPU, 4.6GHZ CPU, and 32GB RAM at 3200 and can only run the simplest of missions without reprojection at medium graphics settings. I have HP Reverb. Even Stalingrad career "at low density" stutters severely when my 190A-3 gets jumped by several I-16s. And this is with reprojection turned on which introduces a new set of problems such as double-images (also called: ghosting), and image distortions (obvious when looking at replays in VR). The cockpits are mesmerizing in Reverb, but the rest of the graphics is a severe downgrade. I am debating with myself if I should return the Reverb, I still have about a week left out of their "30 days free returns" policy.

You've got other issues, I have no problems with a i7-4770 at 4.2ghz with a RTX 2070 Super.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, WheelwrightPL said:

I have 2080 Ti GPU, 4.6GHZ CPU, and 32GB RAM at 3200

With that card you should be fine with the Reverb.(if you don´t supersample too much).

Most likely your CPU is the bottleneck here or perhaps something is going wrong in your PC (hardware/software). Which is your CPU? Do you overclock?

Before you decide what to do you can just run the benchmark just to be sure all is OK and your performance is aligned with your peers.

You can also can take a look of the graphics settings impact on fps, so you can relax the ones which load the CPU. Look this:

• Upvote 1

I have an intel i53570k (4 core 3.4Ghz) plus 1070 GPU  (so similar but slightly older spec to OP) and run the game with everything maxed out on a regular HD monitor, it looks great and FPS rarely dips below to 60Hz refresh rate of my monitor.

Whether this would work for VR is a different question depending upon how much you are willing to turn down graphics settings and the spec of the VR headset.

12 hours ago, 6./ZG26_Loke said:

Intel Core i5-4670K
4 threads - 3.4 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
8 GB VRAM

8 GB RAM

I started on similar, and that was laptop. Oculus rift cv1 was my hmd. I played most of the vr titles then, often I needed to find optimal settings, but it was possible. I bought Il-2 then, and I was playing it several months on laptop (with 3dmigoto mod). Then I decided to upgrade, as in intense dogfights I saw slide-show. 

You can play, you can even be competetive online with 3dmigoto zoom, but with lower resolutions (ca ss0.8 on oculus rift). 

• Thanks 1

On 2/20/2020 at 3:56 PM, 6./ZG26_Loke said:

Intel Core i5-4670K
4 threads - 3.4 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
8 GB VRAM

8 GB RAM

Not hopeless, but you're going to be in "frame doubling" mode 100% of the time. You might need to push the 4670K higher too. If you have a reasonable cooler it's an unlocked CPU so you can crank it. Best idea would be to buy something like a Rift S from somewhere with a good return policy, then see if it works.

• Thanks 1

One more thing, BOS and BOM maps are easier to render, and I have more fps there. BOK is a little more loaded, but Bodenplatte is heavy loaded.

You may get older parts really cheap on their page discounts, if you do not have them already.

On 2/21/2020 at 3:11 AM, chiliwili69 said:

With that card you should be fine with the Reverb.(if you don´t supersample too much).

Most likely your CPU is the bottleneck here or perhaps something is going wrong in your PC (hardware/software). Which is your CPU? Do you overclock?

I did overclock my i3-8350k to 4.6Ghz at 1.2Volt (verified by Prime95 and Intel CPU Stress tests). I run Reverb at native resolution, I also have Ultra shadows in game (sorry, the cockpits look too damn good with them), and High clouds, so I am not running at low graphics. Here is my Passmark 9.0 Results, which indicate there is nothing wrong with my system, it is the Reverb which is too demanding for IL2 if you run it at 90Hz with decent graphics settings, and do more than simple QMB missions. That's harsh reality, but I believe it is important to set realistic expectations.

597171790_PassMark9.0ResultsFixed.thumb.jpg.4abf11b76978a500d37e0c058918d177.jpg

If you will permit me to post my similar question here as this thread is exactly pertinent to my situation [I just registered here on Il-2 Sturmovik, so very newbie-ish]:

I purchased a new computer a month ago or so within my budget restraints, expecting to use a 1440 monitor with TrackIR head tracking. My plan was to eventually upgrade with a new motherboard, processor, graphics card, et all, as my finances allowed. I just recently even considered VR seriously, and now find I'm not sure my PC can pull it off. I have a i7-9700f [no overclock], 16g of 2666 mhz memory, a RTX 2060 Super, and 500 g SS hard drive with Windows 10. I did secure an Oculus Rift s as it's resolution is lower than many of it's competitors, yet I've read enough good reports about the overall performance and software [Oculus Tool Tray, etc] being such that perhaps I might be able to swing it at tweeked settings. Reading this post, it seems that I can fly the Bodenplatte aircraft on the Stalingrad map if necessary; as well, I fly mostly offline and mostly single one on one combats as I currently have not so great internet. I have 30 days to return the s should it not work with my set up, but thought since many knowledgeable sim persons are present, I'd run it by you for opinions as to my prospects to use Oculus rift s successfully. 

Also, if there is are some good threads on the Il-2 forum or online sources for a easy to grasp tutorial on setting up the Oculus Rift s,  please post them below along with your comments; as I am somewhat time restrained, It would be immensely appreciated if I could have the s up and running as quickly as possible to leave me time to tinker, seek out more follow info, and make a good assessment as to whether or not I can actually swing it using VR now.

Thanks much,

pugo3

17 hours ago, WheelwrightPL said:

I did overclock my i3-8350k to 4.6Ghz at 1.2Volt

This is an interesting CPU, it is the smallest overclockable of the 8th series. It would be interesting to see how it performs in the IL-2 benchmark.

If you have time you can follow the instructions and run the test just in monitor (and VR if you want):

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/56485-benchmark-for-cpuram-performance-remagen-4002-to-4004/

For IL-2, it is the SingleThread Mark what matters, and the reason of being below 90fps is the CPU, not the 2080Ti.

You can easily check that by running fpsVR app (it is really cheap app) while you are playing IL-2 with the REverb. You will see that your CPU frametimes will be above 11ms.

4 hours ago, pugo3 said:

i7-9700f [no overclock], 16g of 2666 mhz memory, a RTX 2060 Super,

I think your CPU and GPU would be quite OK for the Rift-S if you play SP and the right settings.

The Rift-S is less demanding that other headsets not only because lower resolution but also because it run at 80Hz, so it requires less frames per second that others 90Hz devices.

The Turbo frequency of the 9700F can go up to 4.7 GHz which is a nice frequency. so verify that it is enabled in the BIOS and also that your AVX offset is set to zero and that your freq is kept at 4.7 while you play IL-2 (no thermal throttling, so it might require a decent cooler).

Then, you can use fpsVR and play with the settings. I explain above a graph with the impact of each setting.

You can start with Balanced graphics and medium shadows and medium clouds. In Lapino map with simple 1x1 dogfights to be sure you are at 80fps with no AWS.

I can not guide you on the Rift-S specific tools settings (OpenComposite, OTT, Oculus software) since I don´t use it for IL-2. But be sure to don´t apply more that 1.2 PD in OTT, otherwise you overload your 2060S.

Thanks for that, I did briefly look at your graph, but will examine it more carefully here when I more time; I trust Lapino map is with BOS, but where is fpsVR located, in game settings or Oculus tools?

I may start a new post regarding my original inquiry here, for a fresh, updated easy guide to installing in my case the Oculus rift s, from downloading, to initial setting recommendations in game and using Oculus software, starting with less powerful set ups, followed by a listing of subsequent adjustments prioritized in order of importance, to inch performance up as best as can be achieved.  

I think a separate, fresh post for each VR set currently available would be extremely helpful for anyone entering the VR, novice users, intermediates or  advanced, and ease the amount of forum traffic of many attempting to gather a clear picture of how to proceed. It is very hard to obtain this information, as online tutorials are mainly directed to gaming set up, and forums are cluttered with much outdated or conflicting information. 

Thanks again, will follow up as I said later on

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, pugo3 said:

I trust Lapino map is with BOS, but where is fpsVR located, in game settings or Oculus tools?

I say Lapino as an simple map that was one of the first. But it will be also valid any other map from BOS with no dense population and flat.

fpsVR is an app that you can find in SteamVR: https://store.steampowered.com/app/908520/fpsVR/

not sure if you can find it also at Oculus store, i think not.

But it perfectly works for Rift-S

On 2/27/2020 at 11:47 PM, chiliwili69 said:

The Turbo frequency of the 9700F can go up to 4.7 GHz which is a nice frequency. so verify that it is enabled in the BIOS and also that your AVX offset is set to zero and that your freq is kept at 4.7 while you play IL-2 (no thermal throttling, so it might require a decent cooler).

I did mention I'm newbie to the game, also not experienced with making such adjustments; how can I know I'm not taxing my system locking the Turbo frequency during game play? I only have limited experience using Nvida inspector, and just bought a new computer after a long time, so really not up to speed. If you would please give a recommended way to go, that would be great.

On 2/27/2020 at 11:47 PM, chiliwili69 said:

Then, you can use fpsVR and play with the settings.

So this runs during game play, and displays the fps in real time, yes? Again, is the install pretty straightforward? Does it display in the VR with a assigned button?

Thanks.

Posted (edited)
On 3/2/2020 at 1:08 AM, pugo3 said:

how can I know I'm not taxing my system locking the Turbo frequency during game play?

I use MSI Afterburner. you can download from here. It is a free tool. You can configure trends for many variables. For example CPU clock frequency. You can launch the app, then run IL-2 VR for 20 minutes and then go to the monitor and see the trends. You will see the CPU frequency at which you have been running.

Here you have an example of the kind of trends produced by MSI Afterburner:

On 3/2/2020 at 1:08 AM, pugo3 said:

So this runs during game play, and displays the fps in real time, yes? Again, is the install pretty straightforward? Does it display in the VR with a assigned button?

Yes, there is an overlay of fpsVR which tells you many things (just google: fpsVR overlay).

It is a simple app. Easy to install and run. It also give you statistics and histograms about how your CPU and GPU perform.

You just need to run it before launching IL-2, then you will see the fpsVR overlay while you are playing.

The important thing (among others) of fpsVR is that is giving you the CPU frametimes and the GPU frametimes. Frametimes is the inverse of fps.

If you want to achieve 80fps with your Rift-S (it runs at 80Hz), you need to produce 80 frames every second. So if you divide a second in 80 parts (1/80)  it is 0.0125 seconds, or 12.5 miliseconds. So to be at 80fps you need to produce frames at 12.5ms or less.

So both GPU and CPU frametimes need to be below 12.5 ms. And fpsVR is telling you this at real time.

PLaying some hours with fpsVR I have learnt what scenes, settings, etc affects CPU and GPU.

Edited by chiliwili69

11 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

Yes, there is an overlay of fpsVR which tells you many things (just google: fpsVR overlay).

It is a simple app. Easy to install and run. It also give you statistics and histograms about how your CPU and GPU perform.

You just need to run it before launching IL-2, then you will see the fpsVR overlay while you are playing.

Thanks for that, I will add this to my set up tasks list, great. So Afterburner is displayed on your monitor in real time, or after some time you open the software? And fpsVR in an overlay onto your view in the VR screen, yes? Is there a way to toggle this on and off, as I would not want it displaying the whole time I'm in game.

Appreciate your help with this, thanks again.

On 3/3/2020 at 9:03 PM, pugo3 said:

So Afterburner is displayed on your monitor in real time, or after some time you open the software?

Yes it is displayed in realtime. I normally open first MSI afterburner and configure the variables I want to trend. You can also set the sample period. If I put 1 second and my monitor width is 3840, I have 3840 seconds history visualized which is one hour. Then minimize the app if you want and lunch the IL-2 game.

On 3/3/2020 at 9:03 PM, pugo3 said:

And fpsVR in an overlay onto your view in the VR screen, yes? Is there a way to toggle this on and off, as I would not want it displaying the whole time I'm in game.

Yes, fpsVR provide a configurable overlay seen inside VR (otherwise you will not see it).

And last december they incorporate a feature to enable/disable the overlay view with a configurable hotkey.

On 2/21/2020 at 7:56 AM, 6./ZG26_Loke said:

Intel Core i5-4670K
4 threads - 3.4 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
8 GB VRAM

8 GB RAM

Hi mate, I am probably late to the party for advice.

I wwhile ago i wrote this review for VR gaming in IL2 with low spec PCs: -

The only update to what i wrote would be regarding the FPS.  Now, a year later, with various updates, I usually get about 43 FPS.  On the bodenplatte map down low that can go down further to about 36 which does start to get noticably jerky even for me.

The 43 FPS doesnt really bother me, i play online and can hold my own in fights.  I dont get sickness or notice the jerkyness too much.  The big issue with VR is spotting.  Enemy planes disappear or blend into the sky/ground unless youre within 1km of them.  But this is a VR issue, not a low spec pc issue i think

• Thanks 1

On 3/3/2020 at 12:02 AM, chiliwili69 said:

I use MSI Afterburner. you can download from here. It is a free tool. You can configure trends for many variables. For example CPU clock frequency. You can launch the app, then run IL-2 VR for 20 minutes and then go to the monitor and see the trends. You will see the CPU frequency at which you have been running.

Here you have an example of the kind of trends produced by MSI Afterburner:

The important thing (among others) of fpsVR is that is giving you the CPU frametimes and the GPU frametimes. Frametimes is the inverse of fps.

If you want to achieve 80fps with your Rift-S (it runs at 80Hz), you need to produce 80 frames every second. So if you divide a second in 80 parts (1/80)  it is 0.0125 seconds, or 12.5 miliseconds. So to be at 80fps you need to produce frames at 12.5ms or less.

So both GPU and CPU frametimes need to be below 12.5 ms. And fpsVR is telling you this at real time.

PLaying some hours with fpsVR I have learnt what scenes, settings, etc affects CPU and GPU.

Thanks again for this info; a related concern is how to monitor CPU temps, or core temps during VR use. I looked at Speedfan app, but understand it is no longer updated, though my motherboard being somewhat dated may still be supported. The reason I'm inquiring about this here is that as with the apps above, I would want to see these when using my Oculus, again with the ability to toggle the information displayed on and off.

Can you recommend a current app or something that has replaced Speed fan that would work with VR use? I very much like the idea of the app automatically adjusting the fan speeds, and some sort of fail safe or warning display option if temps are rising to an unsafe level.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, puyo3 said:

Thanks again for this info; a related concern is how to monitor CPU temps, or core temps during VR use. I looked at Speedfan app, but understand it is no longer updated, though my motherboard being somewhat dated may still be supported. The reason I'm inquiring about this here is that as with the apps above, I would want to see these when using my Oculus, again with the ability to toggle the information displayed on and off.

Can you recommend a current app or something that has replaced Speed fan that would work with VR use? I very much like the idea of the app automatically adjusting the fan speeds, and some sort of fail safe or warning display option if temps are rising to an unsafe level.

I use Core Temp for monitoring CPU core temps, keeps track of min/max per core. Does not display in headset however.

Edited by dburne

On 3/5/2020 at 5:14 AM, GiantCorn said:

I wwhile ago i wrote this review for VR gaming in IL2 with low spec PCs: -

Very helpful and encouraging, thanks for your good work posting this for low end users! I'm mostly a wolf driver, maybe see you up there sometime (hopefully in my gun sight, not yours! ;/

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, puyo3 said:

Very helpful and encouraging, thanks for your good work posting this for low end users! I'm mostly a wolf driver, maybe see you up there sometime (hopefully in my gun sight, not yours! ;/

no worries mate glad you found it helpful.  Yes im lone wolf pilot too sadly. 

On 4/2/2020 at 7:57 PM, puyo3 said:

a related concern is how to monitor CPU temps, or core temps during VR use. I looked at Speedfan app, but understand it is no longer updated, though my motherboard being somewhat dated may still be supported. The reason I'm inquiring about this here is that as with the apps above, I would want to see these when using my Oculus, again with the ability to toggle the information displayed on and off

The fpsVR app has an overlay displayed in VR where you can see numerically the CPU&GPU Temperature and usage, but not the trendlines.

When I was configuring my overclock and settings I used MSI Afterburner trends to be run for 1 or 2 hours of game play. So, after playing IL-2VR and taking out the VR headset I can see in the monitor all the trends I want for the hour I have been playing.

My AOI Kraken CPU liquid cooling has a software (called NZXT CAM) to monitor temps, rpm, etc. It gives me an alarm if CPU temp exceed 84 celsius or GPU exceed 80 celsius. With IL-2 VR it nevers happen, but when my soon plays Battlefield at the like it sometimes trigger a pop-up notification for GPU exceeding 80 celsius.

I believe every manufacturer has their own control and monitoring software for fans and coolers, and there are also many other software from no vendor specific. But I don´t know.