Lots of questions

Hello forum,

Having found about about IL2's Tankcrew game recently, i quickly got to watch some videos and came to the conclusion that this is 
by far the best tank sim that is out there considering WW2? With that being said i'm interested in buying the game but i have quiet some questions that i cant find an answer to.
To me it seems like there is very little information out there considering TC understandingly as its in EA and rather a niche product. So i shall continue with listing my questions bellow:

1. Are there any servers online for Multiplayer at all when it comes to Tank battles ? [if any]

2. Can you crew a tank with friends already ?, either in offline scenarios or MP

3. How long has this game been in development and how long will it be before it gets out of early access ?
4. Are the devs considering to implement Western Theater battlefields aswel ?

5. Will the maps have more detail ??, currently there is a lack of bushes, hedgerows, Forrest like areas, street signs, traffic or street lights and the road/ground textures look from the early 2000's era.

6. I had seen an announcement of commanders being able to use binocs, will that include some form of range finding capability ?, or will that be limited to just learn it from expierience ?

7. How about the explosion and damage animations ?, will they see further polishing ? Right now you either have 4 queues to go off from. The crew dismounts, the shell bounces or the tank does a violent jerk when they get detract. And finally a default blown up model

8. How many tanks are there still to come as of now with the panther being the latest addition ? 

I think that sums it up for now, bear with me as im new here btw 😅

Thanks for reading !

1. Yes, but the most active servers that do have aircraft and tanks. Your fun will greatly vary depending on the population on said server : you can either drive around for hours, shooting at AI emplacements, or engage in intense tanks vs tanks action.

2. Yes you can in online missions (coop or dogfight), the same way you can crew an airplane with gunner positions.

3. Tank Crew was announced in 2017 and we got the alpha in mid 2018. There has been no indication of a date of completion so far.

4. No, or at least, there has been no official statement that I know of. I think they are focusing on completing this theater, and the engine.

5. The map that has been shipped with tank crew is supposed to have a more detailed ground, buildings and foliage. Promotion video demonstrated a quite stunning improvement over what we currently have. But I did not notice any significant improvement in the current version of the game (but it may just be me)

6. Binoculars are not yet implemented. Currently the AI can do rangefinding for you, when enabled, announcing the target distance, but other than that you have to do it yourself. And there has been no official statement on the matter that I know of.

7. Animation and effect are currently very lackluster. This is expected to improve, but no mention of it has been made in recent official announcements (devblogs).

8. Two, the Ferdinand and the SU-152

Edit :
Well, I realize that I come off as quite negative and it has been held against me in other topics. So I'll temper a bit this response.

This has indeed the potential to be greatest WW2 tank sim, if they put as much care and efforts in this as they do for the plane part.

And a little bit more transparency in the communication around Tank Crew would go a long way to improve confidence in the product's future, even better would be a roadmap.

Edited by Saedriss
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Saedriss said:

Edit :
Well, I realize that I come off as quite negative and it has been held against me in other topics. So I'll temper a bit this response.

This has indeed the potential to be greatest WW2 tank sim, if they put as much care and efforts in this as they do for the plane part.

And a little bit more transparency in the communication around Tank Crew would go a long way to improve confidence in the product's future, even better would be a roadmap.

Hey dude i appreciate the reply. And you are good, i rather have you tell the truth then blow smoke up my ass ;].
I made this topic becuz i couldnt find any real info to my questions in general..im on the fence of buying it but i dont know how i feel about spending 60euro on a game 
there is no info about, roadmap, or not even a certainty that there are populated and admined servers for it considering as mentioned this game to be rather niche. 

3 hours ago, PanzerSturm said:

Hey dude i appreciate the reply. And you are good, i rather have you tell the truth then blow smoke up my ass ;].
I made this topic becuz i couldnt find any real info to my questions in general..im on the fence of buying it but i dont know how i feel about spending 60euro on a game 
there is no info about, roadmap, or not even a certainty that there are populated and admined servers for it considering as mentioned this game to be rather niche. 

This is a real problem. Watch some videos on Youtube, maybe it till help. Tank crew can be a perfect game togehter with IL2, but there is still many to do. The good thing is that if IL2 is becoming better, tank crew will also develop. So far i had a lot of fun in multiplayer and fighting human tanks is very challenging and intensive. The singleplay experience is not so good. But i believe that we will get some great campaigns in the future from the community. 

1 minute ago, JG27_Steini said:

This is a real problem. Watch some videos on Youtube, maybe it till help. Tank crew can be a perfect game togehter with IL2, but there is still many to do. The good thing is that if IL2 is becoming better, tank crew will also develop. So far i had a lot of fun in multiplayer and fighting human tanks is very challenging and intensive. The singleplay experience is not so good. But i believe that we will get some great campaigns in the future from the community. 

Yeah i hope for TC to develope further and polish the game on many levels. Someone from my clan already bought the game just me and maybe 2 or 3 others will also get it becuz they also like tanking alot, which they do in the current ww2 FPS we support. But i hardly see any proper videos on youtube from MP gameplay, nor can i find a server list of active servers, nor the amount of players average daily. Singleplayer missions with friends can be fun for a bit. But MP gameplay is the best and most satisfying as you get to hunt other players and flank them or ambush them etc..

41 minutes ago, J3Hetzer said:

I guess maybe the devs are caught in that paradox of only committing resources to improving stuff if people are buying but few are buying because it doesn't look like it's improving very fast.

The current price is also rather steep for the barebone game it is atm to put it quiet frankly. Considering the map textures, details, ambient sound, directional sound, sound distance etc.
I also feel that there is a gap between the developers and the community on this forum or am i completely mistaken ? 

10 minutes ago, PanzerSturm said:

Yeah i hope for TC to develope further and polish the game on many levels. Someone from my clan already bought the game just me and maybe 2 or 3 others will also get it becuz they also like tanking alot, which they do in the current ww2 FPS we support. But i hardly see any proper videos on youtube from MP gameplay, nor can i find a server list of active servers, nor the amount of players average daily. Singleplayer missions with friends can be fun for a bit. But MP gameplay is the best and most satisfying as you get to hunt other players and flank them or ambush them etc..

Finnish Server has a good map and some tank driver. I just died on this server though KI shooting perfectly from any distance and through vegetanins/hills. Great fun 😡

25 minutes ago, Kataphrakt said:

I've got a question i'd like piggyback onto this: If you have say a MP crew with one player in the gun, and one as the commander, who has command over the tank driver?

The commander. Hopefully they will make the driver playable for others and not only the commander, and the loader too.

5 hours ago, Kataphrakt said:

I've got a question i'd like piggyback onto this: If you have say a MP crew with one player in the gun, and one as the commander, who has command over the tank driver?

Who jumps in the tank first, can switch positions and drive the tank. People who jump in later and limited to the position they choose.

12 hours ago, RIVALDO said:

Hi.Try the "Attention EFront Server"!

EFront Server is crap. There are constantly several planes over tank base. 50% of trying to play i have been killed even before i started to drive. 

The best server with good air cover is Finish Server. After 20h playing and hundreds of missions i was never been killed at the base.

Edited by JG27_Steini
5 hours ago, JG27_Steini said:

EFront Server is crap.

Disagreed. EFront is the only populated server created for tank battles. Dying on spawn means nothing but enemy grabbing your tank base or he has air superiority over it. It's a part of gameplay. If you get killed this way that means the base is blocked and you should choose another base.

5 hours ago, PanzerSturm said:

I doubt ill consider, i have been reading that its a shitshow of a server with bias admins.

As I see it's over now. That was related to me and the 1 other guy on server only.

Edited by Lofte
  • Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, Lofte said:

Disagreed. EFront is the only populated server created for tank battles. Dying on spawn means nothing but enemy grabbing your tank base or he has air superiority over it. It's a part of gameplay. If you get killed this way thats mean the base is blocked and you should choose another base.

As I see it's over now. That was related to me and the 1 other guy on server only.

If it is meant for tank battles, then why there are constantly planes over bases? Killed constantly just after start mean that this server is not for tank battles. It only means that mission design lacks of other targets for planes or better air cover. Finish IL2 server has everything EFront, but better. Planes, tanks, statistics, good air defense and dynamicly frontline. EFront has only a few numbers of maps and on some maps the AI bugs prevent from playing.

1 hour ago, JG27_Steini said:

Killed constantly

Pls explain the word "constantly". How often does it happen? In 1%, 50%, 99% cases or...? I play on EFront a lot, and get killed by aircraft on respawn 1 time from 100.

Much often it happends due to enemy tanks blocking respawn.

Edited by Lofte

I tried the Finnish server yesterday, the only tanks available to the German side were P3s (three players on the server). I quit immediately but will try it again to see if it was just that map.

Lol. Different map, P3s vs T34s and Shermans. 🤣

Do one. No wonder the tank MP is so dead with BS setups like that.

Edited by J3Hetzer
2 hours ago, J3Hetzer said:

I tried the Finnish server yesterday, the only tanks available to the German side were P3s (three players on the server). I quit immediately but will try it again to see if it was just that map.

Lol. Different map, P3s vs T34s and Shermans. 🤣

Do one. No wonder the tank MP is so dead with BS setups like that.

Available tanks are decided by the server owner ??, thats kinda.... :/

5 hours ago, Lofte said:

Pls explain the word "constantly". How often does it happen? In 1%, 50%, 99% cases or...? I play on EFront a lot, and get killed by aircraft on respawn 1 time from 100.

Much often it happends due to enemy tanks blocking respawn.

Maybe you play another time. When i play some specials friends on the other side are online. Last time i tried i was killed by the same IL2 twice and an other player also direct while joining with 1 bomb. An IL2 can kill several Tiger tanks and they get used too ...

3 hours ago, PanzerSturm said:

Available tanks are decided by the server owner ??, thats kinda.... 😕

You should inform yourself better. This is dynamic war. When resouces are destroyed you have to take the 2nd choice. Other wise all would use Tigers. Red player had no chance.

11 hours ago, JG27_Steini said:

EFront Server is crap. There are constantly several planes over tank base. 50% of trying to play i have been killed even before i started to drive. 

The best server with good air cover is Finish Server. After 20h playing and hundreds of missions i was never been killed at the base.

You also give up,when something goes wrong after the first try in real life?

If you enjoy driving for hours by your lonesome, killing AI tanks and guns,then it explains your rage towards the EFront. Come join us this weekend!

Maybe you play another time. When i play some specials friends on the other side are online. Last time i tried i was killed by the same IL2 twice and an other player also direct while joining with 1 bomb. An IL2 can kill several Tiger tanks and they get used too ...

Alright I can explain a bit as I play on all tank servers when I have the time and will:
Efront has many players but that is mainly due to its manned by russian players from 1600-2300 swedish time and they have their own discord or teamspeak and have dedicated flyers and tankers only focusing on winning, even when there are no german players around. The server is very russian biased as several maps are for some reason 1941 set up and gives russians plenty of T-34s and advantages while german side have a few panzer IV (10 of them).
Plus the russian side have far more anti tank guns and AAA guns compared to the german side, just to name a few advantages they get, even 2 of my friends only needed 2 matches to see how much advantages the russian side gets xD
But plus side is its always manned but prepare to lose if you play german side unless you play late in the night.

Action tanks which to me is the best server but way less players: balanced maps where german and allied/russian side gets the same number of guns and AI tanks and bigger variety of maps, towns and villages and western front maps etc. Some maps have only panzer IIIs but its still more balanced and can be played alone.

Finnish virtual pilots: Same here, more balanced and less being bombed to detah by airplanes, bigger battlefield and a frontline that moves and the tank base is a bit away from the flag, removing the chance of spawn killing.Wish more servers used that idea instead of this spawnkilling that happens....

Yes its the servermaker who decides what tanks or how many one side gets, and where the bases are and anti tank guns, airfields etc.

What I found to be most fun and more realistic and historically based are SCG historical events, playing every sunday for 3-4 hours and semi military style and very serious, closest and best tank feeling I have ever experienced in gaming so far :)

• Like 2

Lol, the alien AI on the Finnish server can do one though. Really encourages a tanker to stick around, every soviet tank crewed by elite red banner dudes. Fire one shot from cover, every single tank immediately acquires you and hits you with their first shots. Yaaawn.

29 minutes ago, J3Hetzer said:

Fire one shot from cover, every single tank immediately acquires you and hits you with their first shots. Yaaawn.

That is the case with all AI tanks and guns in the game at the moment, hopefully it will be solved by the developers with time.
Only thing one can change are: where you place them and how many and how long distance they can see and accuracy.

Clanmember of mine streamed some TC today, was rather sad state of affairs....
Spawned in, got over the bridge....killed by a 250kg bomb ?
Spawned in again, drove out of the barrack got killed again by a bomb.
Spawned in again got on the bridge got bombed on the bridge.

Are there any solo tanks servers ?, considering tanks have no means to defend themselves against planes ?

11 hours ago, RIVALDO said:

You also give up,when something goes wrong after the first try in real life?

If you enjoy driving for hours by your lonesome, killing AI tanks and guns,then it explains your rage towards the EFront. Come join us this weekend!

I dit not gave up it tried for a long time. But this base vulching and always the same maps it was no fun anymore. On some maps the AI shoots through obstacles and you have no chance to get to the enemy. Bad mission design then. Dont hide AI behind forest you have no chance to see it but it kills you from 1200 with the first shot.

3 hours ago, RIVALDO said:

Bad publicity is better than no publicity...

Try creating something worthy and then criticize others. 

And please,stop discouraging people from joining the EFront server. All of your statements are not legit.

I think criticism is legit and it goes to the player that are killing tanks right during join not the server. Efront has some nice maps. When the mission designer would place more anti air it would make many things better. The current light anti air is no match for the IL2. With it rockets and bombs it kills several Tiger in one mission. 

But this base vulching and always the same maps it was no fun anymore.

This whine make me sick. "Vulching no fun anymore". "Why russians have unlimited T-34 while germans only 10 Pz-4?". "Crap, AT-guns killed me from 1200 m through obstakles!". "Why on this map russians have Su-122 and germans have no Tigers?". "I got rammed and admin take no action!".

I play Axis side only and all these "issues" (even when they are really present) just make the game more challenging for me. More challenging = more fun. That's it.

If you want to whine you better just say  - "we are unable to communicate between blue players in team, we don't want to do it and we don't have a team at all, that's why we constantly lose". Not because server is crap or because that sneaky russian admin doing his dirty tricks on maps.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, VSN_Razor said:

If possible, get some distance between you. From around 1500m and more you're safe.

The P3 has a 50mm pop-gun. I've managed to get side-hits against T34s from as close as 600m, they don't scratch them (that's as it should be). 

If the return fire wasn't so absurdly fast and accurate AND the arcade impact shake was absent it might be possible to fire & manoeuvre closer and to the rear but then to achieve what, an engine knock-out?
There doesn't seem to be much point offering map dates that allow the German side to have only P3s, unless one decides it's going to be fun going after trucks and artlillery. T70s are always attended by T34s, so good luck trying for those.

Hopefully the devs won't leave us high and dry with a half-finished game here because it has a lot of potential.