HagarTheHorrible

Does Central mind me shooting at chutes ?

Just kidding, I wouldn’t demean myself.

I only ask because some Central pilots seem to have no compunction about shooting crash landing Entente aircraft, even to the point when they’re a just crumpled wreck on the ground, long after it’s obvious (even to VR players) that their opponent is no longer “in the game”.

Symptom of not having kill messages: keep blasting to be sure, and maybe to get the last bullet in.

A Central pilot bailing from his machine means it's already counted as destroyed, so you have nothing to gain by shooting his chute, but nothing is stopping you from doing so either way.

1 hour ago, J5_Hellbender said:

Symptom of not having kill messages: keep blasting to be sure, and maybe to get the last bullet in.

A Central pilot bailing from his machine means it's already counted as destroyed, so you have nothing to gain by shooting his chute, but nothing is stopping you from doing so either way.

It seems to go beyond that, being shot up when actually crashing, on fire, or actually lying in a crumpled heap is a bit overkill-ish, almost as if there is a desire to try and snuff out any kill streak rather than just get a shoot down.  I use VR, so no messages, so appreciate it isn’t always easy to tell.

I think what I’m trying to say, is if you see behaviour that seems a bit overkill, on any side, but particularly when flying Central, because Entente don’t have chutes, then please call it out.  By and large I’ve been very impressed with the crowd who populate the J5 server, a good bunch of guys and girls (?)

Edited by HagarTheHorrible

50 minutes ago, HagarTheHorrible said:

It seems to go beyond that, being shot up when actually crashing, on fire,

<sarcasm mode> Well, maybe the guy who set you aflame didn't get the kill credit yet, and it's still possible to steal the kill from him by killing your pilot before the plane finishes crashing... Such an opportunity should not be bypassed, and at this stage you shou;dn't mind, should you?! </sarcasm mode>

Edited by J2_Trupobaw

3 hours ago, HagarTheHorrible said:

I only ask because some Central pilots seem to have no compunction about shooting crash landing Entente aircraft, even to the point when they’re a just crumpled wreck on the ground, long after it’s obvious (even to VR players) that their opponent is no longer “in the game”.

That happened to me the other day, as I got strafed by some central fellow just as I touched down on the wrong side of the lines with a dead engine.  Though perhaps he was upset that in a short 4 vs 1 engagement I shot down two of his friends and caused the other two to lawn dart.  :happy:

• Haha 1

Had one of my US93 boys landing with a dead engine and a smashed up plane get strafed by three D.VIIs and killed as he was rolling along the ground the other day. If those guys bail out in front of me I'll be aiming for the pilots, not the silk....

Same goes for if a Hun rams one of my wingmen. 

In all other cases, you can glide down to earth with a sound mind....I won't give you any grief! 

...Talby might, though ;) 

Edited by US93_Larner

The penis extension extremists have to get that confirmation of a kill, otherwise, no hard on!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Afterthought - I'm considering downing 'Chutes in FiF, as you get one V-Life per session and it does have an impact on the overall game if a pilot dies. In session 1 I was flying a camel and we shot down two Dr.Is. Both bailed.  10 mins or so later I saw the exact same two Dr.Is patrolling the area where we knocked them down. We had bombers going through the area and it should have been clear for them! 

As always: fly like a gentleman, don't expect to be treated like one. And stay classy. 😉

• Upvote 3

I've been contacted by my legal counsel and have been advised to refrain from statements on this topic.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, J28w-Broccoli said:

Imagine wanting to give up all that altitude just to strafe a guy whose already been shot down.

Bottom feeders struggle to breath in the rarefied air, up high, well anything over 200 ft actually.

Pro tip: if you’re flying Entente on the J5 server you can bail out without a parachute then end the mission before you splat. So long as you have enough height and you’re over friendly lines you count as alive! Kill streak maintained. Also not much chance of being strafed when you’re lawn darting southwards 😄

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, US93_Larner said:

Afterthought - I'm considering downing 'Chutes in FiF, as you get one V-Life per session and it does have an impact on the overall game if a pilot dies. In session 1 I was flying a camel and we shot down two Dr.Is. Both bailed.  10 mins or so later I saw the exact same two Dr.Is patrolling the area where we knocked them down. We had bombers going through the area and it should have been clear for them! 

That's what the refly penalty is for.

55 minutes ago, No56_Waggaz said:

Pro tip: if you’re flying Entente on the J5 server you can bail out without a parachute then end the mission before you splat. So long as you have enough height and you’re over friendly lines you count as alive! Kill streak maintained. Also not much chance of being strafed when you’re lawn darting southwards 😄

So what is the minimum height at which to bail, plus OR MINUS 100 ft 😁 ?    How far do you fall in 15 seconds ?  Not, you understand, that I would ever contemplate doing a Geronimo (Am I still allowed to say that or is it cultural appropriation ? )

I will always let a plane go if I see it is mortally wounded and going down/ditching. That said, if you are in a twin-seater and you stay in for over 10 seconds on the ground to let your gunner continue to shoot at me and my wingman you can bet we will turn around and start strafing. 🤣

Edited by SCG_Wulfe
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, J2_Trupobaw said:

That's what the refly penalty is for.

What, the 5 minute refly penalty? 

Nah. I'll kill em if I can, thanks...

6 hours ago, HagarTheHorrible said:

It seems to go beyond that, being shot up when actually crashing, on fire

Ah, but that is a mercy shot. Totally justifiable. Or would you rather burn?

• Upvote 1

No chutes for SPAD drivers. They all deserve a glorious death. Preferably self cremation in a flaming plane.

jmho

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, J2_Bidu said:

Ah, but that is a mercy shot. Totally justifiable. Or would you rather burn?

I'd rather be left with the choice of trying to get down or jump, personally ;) One of our guys survived 2 engine fires in his last V-Life! 

1 minute ago, JG1_Butzzell said:

No chutes for SPAD drivers. They all deserve a glorious death. Preferably self cremation in a flaming plane.

jmho

SPAD PILOTS NEVER SAY DIE! 

Edited by US93_Larner
  • Haha 2

True confession time for everyone.

We are really having a lot of fun with FC no matter where you fly.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, US93_Larner said:

I'd rather be left with the choice of trying to get down or jump, personally ;) One of our guys survived 2 engine fires in his last V-Life! 

SPAD PILOTS NEVER SAY DIE! 

Learned that trick many years ago flying a burning B17 in "Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe" (swotl). :) Reused it more than once in ROF, including this time: 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, US93_Larner said:

The central medical services are excellent and the huns lust for blood is well recorded Larner. Now if the Red team decides to start shooting at chutes, please remember that we are swapping sides, so the courtesy might be returned to you.

There is no justification for being a murderer, you can only excuse yourself by saying that everybody else is doing it, until of course someone murders you, when all your ethics shall suddenly come on the surface. [edited]

Edited by SYN_Haashashin
  • Upvote 1

@J2_Drookasi I still do believe we are talking pixels here? ;)

Edited by West

Just now, West said:

@J2_Drookasi I believe we are talking pixels here? ;)

We do, but behaviour is behaviour, at least as I see life. My opinion, and my way of viewing the game, no-one has to agree with me.

• Upvote 1

So we're saying Larner is a murderer now?

Ok, cool.

He kicked a puppy in game once too.

I seent it.

Edited by US213_Talbot
  • Haha 2

Yes it would appear that this sim doesn't encourage or reward chivalry.

I've been the victim of several overly zealous opponents. Bleeding every possible fluid, spinny thing no longer spinning, heading earthward, blam blam blam. It appears as if some are only ever satisfied with a pilot kill.

It seems to me, if you want credit for a "Kill" one almost has to. (Strafe the wreck) When the opposition's plane (AI) crashes buy it's self one doesn't get credit for it. (FC)

In a skirmish, how does one know if it's a "friendly" chute or not?

A number of times I have been killed by some "Miracle" bullet out of no where, where as I pump a 1000 rounds into an AI plane and it never goes down.

IJAFG It's Just A Fricken Game.

1 hour ago, West said:

@J2_Drookasi I still do believe we are talking pixels here? ;)

And I do believe we are talking atoms, elsewhere.

1 hour ago, J2_Drookasi said:

The central medical services are excellent and the huns lust for blood is well recorded Larner. Now if the Red team decides to start shooting at chutes, please remember that we are swapping sides, so the courtesy might be returned to you.

There is no justification for being a murderer, you can only excuse yourself by saying that everybody else is doing it, until of course someone murders you, when all your ethics shall suddenly come on the surface. [edited]

And rightly so!

[edited]

I aint no murderer. The cops can't prove nothin' ! 

Edited by SYN_Haashashin
  • Haha 1

A point for reflection: how hard would it have been during the War for many to NOT shoot the chutes knowing they might be back later not to steal your streak but maybe kill yourself or your friends? Tough choices, for which we may have different sensibilities, for different reasons.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, J2_Bidu said:

A point for reflection: how hard would it have been during the War for many to NOT shoot the chutes knowing they might be back later not to steal your streak but maybe kill yourself or your friends? Tough choices, for which we may have different sensibilities, for different reasons.

An interesting question... 

"My habit of attacking Huns dangling from their parachutes led to many arguments in the mess. Some officers, of the Eton and Sandhurst type, thought it was 'unsportsmanlike' to do it. Never having been to a public school, I was unhampered by such considerations of form. I just pointed out that there was a bloody war on, and that I intended to avenge my pals."

- Ira 'Taffy' Jones, 37 Victories.

• Like 1

Nobody is actually dying in our video game.  We should keep that in mind.

But the chute-shooters are really missing out on a far more satisfying pleasure IMO.  Personally, it's one thing to get the satisfaction of ending a nice streak; but I find it far more satisfying to allow them to live; and watch their streak continue to grow, knowing that every tally added to their streak after their encounter with me was courtesy my clemency.

• Upvote 2

If you care about your streaks, then do what I've done and get a second account.

I realise that PvP streaks do indeed require you to have, you know, people on the server, although I do believe your chances for survival are much better when there's not 60+ people on. So you can have one account for flying during main events, have fun and not miss out on any of those, and one account for carefully building up your streak over a longer period of time when it's quieter (@J5_Baeumer is also working out a solution to make your streak carry over from Tour to Tour, or simply lengthen the duration of Tours).

We used to do this all the time in RoF with different profiles, which is not a feature in IL-2. That said, it's another copy of FC1 sold!

P.S. FiF and BA/BS are pretty much RTS games with players as units which need to be knocked out of the round, so yeah, blast away I say.

icon_mad.gif

Are you sure their players and not ai? Ai do this constantly and they have better aim than most of us. I personally think the chutes should be taken out of the game, it is a game and not real life, For me any way my virtual pilot may feel differently. Mabey I should ask how he feels. I bet he'll say shoot the chutes Knowing him, a bit of a nasty character almost like a Talbot kind of personality. You know, shoot the chute and watch the bastard splat. lol 

8 minutes ago, NO.20_W_M_Thomson said:

I bet he'll say shoot the chutes Knowing him, a bit of a nasty character almost like a Talbot kind of personality. You know, shoot the chute and watch the bastard splat. lol 

giphy-13.gif

giphy-14.gif

Edited by US213_Talbot
  • Haha 1