=[TIA]=Stoopy

My experience with, and Questions about, HP Reverb + 1660Ti

Greetings all, 

Interested in feedback as I'm still working through the proper setup and use of this VR headset - particularly with IL2 of course, which has been the most challenging but so far.

My system: i7-4790K @4.4Mhz, 16Gb 2133Mhz RAM, Win10 Home, NVIDIA 1660Ti.  STMark @ 2630, and my Ramagen Benchmark FPS is 100.4FPS.  I built it 5 years ago with exception of the new video card.

I upgraded the video card from an NIVIDIA GTX970 to the 1660Ti about 60 days ago, but not with the intention of using it with VR.  Getting a VR headset was a cool afterthought once I learned the 1660Ti was supposedly "VR Ready" and seemed to be fairly close in performance to a GTX1070 card.  I would have gone with a different card if I'd planned this in advance, but for the 1660 series are pretty hard to beat in terms of price/performance sweet spot, so here I am.  

Overall, the combo works VERY well with Windows Mixed Reality and the usual VR apps and games.  It's been very stable and smooth, and I had AeroFly FS2 sitting around in my hard drive, it offers native VR support and is phenomenal!  I tried it first, since it seemed much simpler to setup (practically nothing to do), and spent the typical half hour just looking around the cockpit of the Bücker Jungman biplane in amazement.  Once I started doing some aerobatics, things really hit home (as well as hit the pit of my stomach).  I know I don't have to explain that to anyone here - it was just amazing.  Very much like the real thing... 

IL2 though, has been a different matter.  I seem to be hitting up against resource issues frequently, and am still working on optimum settings and startup procedure.   It wouldn't work at all until I deleted my startup.cfg file in order to set everything back to default settings, set my NVIdia control panel settings back to default, and uninstalled ReShade - which all makes perfect sense, since there's a lot that had been done to optimize for 2D performance (such as enabling vsynch, etc). 

I also went dug though lots of info here and on YouTube regarding how to set up WMR and Steam VR for IL2.  My IPD is set correctly at 60.5, I have the Beta version of Steam VR and WMR for Steam, my SS is set at 100% for 2160x2280 (per Capt. Nasties video) etc.   Thanks, Cap'n!   I've also installed the 3Dmigoto mod with the HP Reverb presets. Thanks, Luftense and Fenric!

Right now, if I have the IL2 graphic settings set to Low, with everything disabled, and up to about 1280x768 resolution, I seem to be able to run it OK.  However, in contrast to the detail I had with a 2D monitor, it's a bit of a murky, muddy world where most things outside the cockpit take a while to recognize.  And forget about finding bogeys without the icons turned on. 

If I nudge the resolution up to 1600x900 or higher I can fly for a short while before the headset display goes black and the 2D monitor shows errors or app hangs.  Too bad, because it looks SO MUCH BETTER! Errors can be anything from IL2 dialogue boxes saying that "The instruction at location XXXXX could not be executed", or "Error loading XXXX mdl file", to WMR error saying that "Something has gone wrong" or "Steam VR has crashed".  Most often though, I know that settings won't work when I get to the "Start Mission" page, and get just a black screen after selecting "Start".  

I've run some system monitoring in the background and it doesn't look like I'm running out of system or GPU memory.  I do use Norton antivirus and have disabled it before launching IL2 in VR, which seems to help only slightly.

Which leads to my Stoopid questions for anyone who's read this far:

1. What's the startup process you guys use when using WMR?  I am using the Steam version of IL2 (didn't know better back in 2016 when I bought it) so I start Steam, click on the VR button, and then WMR for Steam and the Steam VR app fire up. Then I'm in the Steam VR version of the "Cliff House" thing, so I use the VR controller to launch IL2 from the tile wall.  Seems like a pretty long way to go about it all, is there a better way?

2. When IL2 is running, it's also displayed on the 2D monitor in two panes, one for each eye - this seems like a pretty big use of resources itself, is it necessary?  I've looked for a way to disable it and darned if I can find it. Or is there a way to set that to run at very low res, but run at higher res in my headset? 

3. When I experience a crash, and launch IL2 on my 2D monitor to adjust settings accordingly, I notice the option to use a HMD headset is disabled - is that normal?  I check it back on and exit without restarting, and then reboot my system to get back to a "clean" state - very time consuming.  But there's also an option in the startup.,cfg file under the graphics section for "3dhud = 0" (or 1) - when I set that to 1 it seems to stay persistent but effects the 2D monitor.  So now I have two different startup.cfg files that I swap back and forth using JSGME (I spend a lot of time going back and forth between the mission editor and IL2 just to check changes to missions I'm working on).  Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance for any input and advice on the above and best practices for WMR / IL2 VR setup and startup process.  This is so great when it works, I am STOKED to see if there's away to get it more properly dialed in,  if that's possible with my hardware.

Stoop

Edited by =[TIA]=Stoopy

I also have HP Reverb (with 1080 Ti, 32GB RAM at 2600 and i3-8350k at 4.2). I had unacceptable performance, which was improved when I enabled reprojection in this file:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\default.vrsettings  by uncommenting this line (ie. removing two backslashes in front of it): "motionReprojectionMode" : "auto"

More info here: https://vr4dcs.com/2019/09/10/reverb-settings-for-dcs/

I also go through all those steps to launch IL-2 and would like to know a faster way. I even have to plug HP Reverb into USB each time I turn my PC on because otherwise it is unrecognized (is it normal ?)

And all those crashes you have are not normal, I didn't have a single one in VR, but on the other hand I don't have any mods and only play simple QMB battles so far.

1 hour ago, WheelwrightPL said:

I also have HP Reverb (with 1080 Ti, 32GB RAM at 2600 and i3-8350k at 4.2). I had unacceptable performance, which was improved when I enabled reprojection in this file:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\default.vrsettings  by uncommenting this line (ie. removing two backslashes in front of it): "motionReprojectionMode" : "auto"

I also go through all those steps to launch IL-2 and would like to know a faster way. I even have to plug HP Reverb into USB each time I turn my PC on because otherwise it is unrecognized (is it normal ?)

And all those crashes you have are not normal, I didn't have a single one in VR, but on the other hand I don't have any mods and only play simple QMB battles so far.

Thanks Wheelwright.  I had tried that earlier per Captain Nasties video but didn't seem to do much, I will take another look at it though (pardon the pun :) ).   

Do you mind saying what your graphics settings are at? Primarily, what resolution?

My Reverb resolution is at 100% (so it runs at native 2160 x 2160 per eye). My IL2 graphics are mixed but mostly towards the higher end.

From memory I have view-distance set to: 40km (I think more is wasted in VR because the image is blurrier anyways).

Shadows are High or Ultra (didn't decide yet).

Grass is High.

Rear mirror is Medium or High (didn't decide yet, but if it is too taxing I will just play planes without rear mirrors)

My landscape filter is set to Sharp (it helps with flickering)

My cockpit-instruments filter is also set to Sharp (who wouldn't want sharp, clear gauges ?)

I have antialiasing set to full

I have SSOA and HDR enabled, but Blur set to 0 in ...\IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles\data\startup.cfg

Try this guide, I found it useful when I got my reverb:

https://vr4dcs.com/2019/09/10/reverb-settings-for-dcs/

It's for dcs but the reverb side setup is great; you'll only have to tweak settings ingame for IL-2, for which optimisation info can be found in the "VR Tips and tricks" sticky above this post.

Congrats on the Reverb, you'll have a great time with it!

Posted (edited)

After a fair amount of reading, configuring and tweaking (not twerking!) I think I;m in a good place now so for any others with the HP Reverb here's what I ended up, and if any experts care to look this over and provide input on any other suggestions it sure would be very much appreciated!

I started off by installing the 3Dmigito mod and Luftense's presets for the HP Reverb.  Then, in my NVidia Control panel I ended up with the following General settings as well as these program-specific settings for IL2:

HP%20REverb%20Nvidia%203D%20Settings%200

Here are the program-specific settings which have some overrides on the general settings:

HP%20REverb%20NvidiaProgram%20IL2%20Sett

Next up here are my settings for Windows Mixed Reality for Steam. Nothing special other than mentioning that this is the BETA version as suggested by a few sources,  and I always start by launching WMR for Steam first, which then kicks of SteamVR, and then launch IL2 from inside the SteamVR home once you have your headset on. 

HP%20Reverb%20WMR%20for%20Steam%20Settin

And here's how I setup SteamVR.  This is NOT the BETA version, again following the general advice on the web. 

HP%20Reverb%20SteamVR%20Settings%2001_zp

These are my General video settings:

HP%20Reverb%20SteamVR%20Settings%2002_zp

HP%20Reverb%20SteamVR%20Settings%2003_zp

And here are the Per-Application video settings for IL2 Sturmovik:

HP%20Reverb%20SteamVR%20Settings%2004_zp

Now the real meat of things, and where I found a lot of improvement, is in the IL2 startup.cfg file.  The notable items are:

3dhud =1   - for whatever reason I had to set this manually, and I'm sure it has to do with enabling the VR Hud properly.Amiright?

fullheight and fullwidth settings   - these are set to 2160 each below to map 1:1 to the HP Reverb resolution of 2160 pixels for each lens:

fullheight = 2160

fullwidth = 2160

However, since the game itself is shown across two lenses (with some overlap) I think this may not take advantage of full horizontal resolution, I've used tried setting of 4320 for the fullwidth setting,  but that adds more load on the GPU.  I have also seen advice that says to set these both to 2900 and I'm not sure why.  Maybe the idea is to overdrive the lenses for sharpness.  I tried it once and think I saw improvement, but not sure I'm sold on it yet.

I also set win_height and win-width pretty low,  since this is the resolution of the window shown on the monitor when IL2 is running.  No need to spend more GPU power on that than is necessary.   Finally, set to run with low gamma, which seems to help with spotting.  Still dialing all this in though (I don't think that process ever really stops): 

[KEY = graphics]
    3dhud = 1
    adapter = 0
    bloom_enable = 0
    desktop_center = 1
    detail_rt_res = 1024
    draw_distance = 0.27400
    far_blocks = 1
    fps_counter = 0
    fps_limit = 0
    full_height = 2160
    full_width = 2160

fullscreen = 0
    gamma = 0.70000
    grass_distance = 100.00000
    hdr_enable = 0
    land_anisotropy = 2
    land_tex_lods = 0
    max_cache_res = 1
    max_clouds_quality = 3
    mgpu_compatible = 0
    mirrors = 1
    multisampling = 0
    or_ca = 0.00000
    or_enable = 0
    or_height = 2160
    or_hud_rad = 1.50000
    or_hud_size = 0.75000
    or_ipd = 0.06049
    or_sipdc = 0.00000
    or_width = 2208
    post_sharpen = 0
    preset = 1
    prop_blur_max_rpm_for_vr = 155
    rescale_target = 1.00000
    shadows_quality = 1
    ssao_enable = 0
    stereo_dof = 5.00000
    vsync = 0
    win_height = 1024
    win_width = 1280

[END]

Oh and finally here are my graphic settings in the game (ignore the 1920x1080 resolution, I had to change that temporarily so it would show on my monitor for a screenshot):

HP%20Reverb%20IL2%20GUI%20Settings%2001_

The other thing worth mentioning at this point is that with the small window on the screen, sometime IL2 gets confused about the focus of the mouse pointer so if the mouse pointer is not behaving correctly in the VR display I have to go look at the monitor and select the IL2 window to let Windows know that's the active program for the mouse to work in.

Edited by =[TIA]=Stoopy
updated settings for WMR display quality, Very High (Beta)
  • Upvote 1

On 2/9/2020 at 5:15 PM, WheelwrightPL said:

If it is not recognized is because you have windows 10 fast start enabled 

14 hours ago, =[TIA]=Stoopy said:

After a fair amount of reading, configuring and tweaking (not twerking!) I think I;m in a good place now so for any others with the HP Reverb here's what I ended up, and if any experts care to look this over and provide input on any other suggestions it sure would be very much appreciated!

I started off by installing the 3Dmigito mod and Luftense's presets for the HP Reverb.  Then, in my NVidia Control panel I ended up with the following General settings as well as these program-specific settings for IL2:

Here are the program-specific settings which have some overrides on the general settings:

Next up here are my settings for Windows Mixed Reality for Steam. Nothing special other than mentioning that this is the BETA version as suggested by a few sources,  and I always start by launching WMR for Steam first, which then kicks of SteamVR, and then launch IL2 from inside the SteamVR home once you have your headset on. 

HP%20Reverb%20WMR%20for%20Steam%20Settin

And here's how I setup SteamVR.  This is NOT the BETA version, again following the general advice on the web. 

HP%20Reverb%20SteamVR%20Settings%2001_zp

These are my General video settings:

HP%20Reverb%20SteamVR%20Settings%2002_zp

HP%20Reverb%20SteamVR%20Settings%2003_zp

And here are the Per-Application video settings for IL2 Sturmovik:

HP%20Reverb%20SteamVR%20Settings%2004_zp

Now the real meat of things, and where I found a lot of improvement, is in the IL2 startup.cfg file.  The notable items are:

3dhud =1   - for whatever reason I had to set this manually, and I'm sure it has to do with enabling the VR Hud properly.Amiright?

fullheight and fullwidth settings   - these are set to 2160 each below to map 1:1 to the HP Reverb resolution of 2160 pixels for each lens:

fullheight = 2160

fullwidth = 2160

However, since the game itself is shown across two lenses (with some overlap) I think this may not take advantage of full horizontal resolution, I've used tried setting of 4320 for the fullwidth setting,  but that adds more load on the GPU.  I have also seen advice that says to set these both to 2900 and I'm not sure why.  Maybe the idea is to overdrive the lenses for sharpness.  I tried it once and think I saw improvement, but not sure I'm sold on it yet.

I also set win_height and win-width pretty low,  since this is the resolution of the window shown on the monitor when IL2 is running.  No need to spend more GPU power on that than is necessary.   Finally, set to run with low gamma, which seems to help with spotting.  Still dialing all this in though (I don't think that process ever really stops): 

[KEY = graphics]
    3dhud = 1
    adapter = 0
    bloom_enable = 0
    desktop_center = 1
    detail_rt_res = 1024
    draw_distance = 0.27400
    far_blocks = 1
    fps_counter = 0
    fps_limit = 0
    full_height = 2160
    full_width = 2160

fullscreen = 0
    gamma = 0.70000
    grass_distance = 100.00000
    hdr_enable = 0
    land_anisotropy = 2
    land_tex_lods = 0
    max_cache_res = 1
    max_clouds_quality = 3
    mgpu_compatible = 0
    mirrors = 1
    multisampling = 0
    or_ca = 0.00000
    or_enable = 0
    or_height = 2160
    or_hud_rad = 1.50000
    or_hud_size = 0.75000
    or_ipd = 0.06049
    or_sipdc = 0.00000
    or_width = 2208
    post_sharpen = 0
    preset = 1
    prop_blur_max_rpm_for_vr = 155
    rescale_target = 1.00000
    shadows_quality = 1
    ssao_enable = 0
    stereo_dof = 5.00000
    vsync = 0
    win_height = 1024
    win_width = 1280

[END]

Oh and finally here are my graphic settings in the game (ignore the 1920x1080 resolution, I had to change that temporarily so it would show on my monitor for a screenshot):

HP%20Reverb%20IL2%20GUI%20Settings%2001_

The other thing worth mentioning at this point is that with the small window on the screen, sometime IL2 gets confused about the focus of the mouse pointer so if the mouse pointer is not behaving correctly in the VR display I have to go look at the monitor and select the IL2 window to let Windows know that's the active program for the mouse to work in.

Put the visuals on windows 10 in Ultra quality. 7th screenshot.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, E69_Qpassa_VR said:

Put the visuals on windows 10 in Ultra quality. 7th screenshot.

Outstanding tip, exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for, thank you so much!  

👍🍻

I have The same problem with the mouse that's suddenly out off game ....

One told me , to make game big in monitor - full screen. ...but it still happens ..

And I can't figure out why either 

1 hour ago, Niiranen-VR said:

I have The same problem with the mouse that's suddenly out off game ....

One told me , to make game big in monitor - full screen. ...but it still happens ..

And I can't figure out why either 

When that happens I lift the headset a little but so I can see the monitor, then move the mouse pointer on the monitor so that it's in the IL2 preview window (or whatever that window is called that shows the dual panes of IL2 running on the monitor) and click in that window.  It sets the mouse focus to be on the game and then when I look through the headset the mouse pointer is working fine. 

I too had a Reverb and wasn't happy with the performance and look when I started, but I followed Stoopy's @=[TIA]=Stoopy  settings guide above as a starting point, and got much better results than when I was just messing around with the settings on my own.

But my rig is i7 9700k, 2080S with 32Gb RAM, so I was able to increase some of my settings and now seeing near 1080p quality with silky smooth results. I do get some "shadowing" when aircrafts fly horizontally across (due to reprojection, I think) but overall extremely happy, thanks to the tips I got.

Here's my settings that are different from Snoopy's:

wmr.thumb.png.d94b38ef865401624d45d87ad6b3b199.png

180373946_steamvr1.thumb.png.a6731631f2492adbaca7267c6cb8c014.png

663621268_steamvr2.thumb.png.d9859809c170a52dcc15839ceb89c15e.png

1311232174_IL2graphics.thumb.png.85852169599a6824ddbcb7dfd17c3767.png

Also, as far as start up sequence, here's what I do (and I don't need to use the controller, just KB and mouse)

0) Do all these without putting on the headset.

1) Start up WMP. Once it detects my Reverb, I minimize it. (This will also start up SteamVR)

2) Open up Steam on my desktop. 

3) Start IL-2 from the left window in Steam - select VR option when the pop up opens.

4) Wait for IL-2 to load fully before putting on the headset. I get quesy looking at the flickering when IL-2 is starting up in the headset.

TWC_NINja

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, =[TIA]=Stoopy said:

When that happens I lift the headset a little but so I can see the monitor

The same I do ..... And it irritates me ....

I have some other , like when I'm shooting 1 and 2 gun my cockpit open and my sight filter go up and down .....but I guess it's more conflict with my gremlin, and things I've done in past so I'm thinking about a fresh win 10 so all back is clear and build up again 

On 3/15/2020 at 11:05 PM, TWC_NINja said:

Also, as far as start up sequence, here's what I do (and I don't need to use the controller, just KB and mouse)

0) Do all these without putting on the headset.

1) Start up WMP. Once it detects my Reverb, I minimize it. (This will also start up SteamVR)

2) Open up Steam on my desktop. 

3) Start IL-2 from the left window in Steam - select VR option when the pop up opens.

4) Wait for IL-2 to load fully before putting on the headset. I get quesy looking at the flickering when IL-2 is starting up in the headset.

TWC_NINja

@TWC_NINja -  Finally tried your startup sequence, works great, thank you!

🍺🍺