Sign in to follow this  
LF_Gallahad

What about a bomber pack?

Dear all,

The B-25, part of Bodenplatte planeset, has been teased as a future collector as many already know. Following the 1C routine of getting AI planes into flyable this might happen, but there is always the issue of making something profitable.

Now that Normandy is coming, we've got another bunch of AI, specially another bomber wich is the B-26. And lots of work to do for the new expansion.

When and how we are getting the B-25 is something that many fans of the big toys have been questioning. Now that there are three collectors in their way and the team is working at full speed, per the last DD, in the new expansion I think it's reasonable to think that the B-25 is on low priority.

So I was wondering today, in one of those traffic jams existencial crisis, what about making something profitable out of it? 

What about making a bomber pack after BoN is released or when it's on its last development circle? Giving us the B-25 alongside the B-26 will be a great idea after the team finishes their work. I am sure many people are willing to pay, like me, for these complex aircrafts. 
Even better, if they could make two Axis bombers to go with the pack, or just dividing them.

For example, what about a B-25, B-26, Ju-188, Do-217K for $50 with the preoorder discount? $30 for both B-25 or B26? These are just examples and numbers out of my head but I think many people would be interested and the most important part: It might be profitable.

As we don't really know how really this thing goes, let's see how many people are interested in the forum. There are lots of players that don't visit this place but I think we can give the team an idea. I would be really happy to see that happening, but we all know that time and money are always a problem. At least, let's give the team some ideas.

Let's discuss!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 8

An interesting thought!

It will probably remain exciting until we know when we get a playable B-25 (at least I assume that it will be the first of those announced as AI). My tip would be similar, that we should not expect it before the final phase of the BoN product cycle. Unless, of course, it would be finished on the side (when they have time).

Otherwise I would also find a bomber pack quite interesting and would buy it.(More Bomber love!). However, there are a few things that speak more against it than for it. The bombers require much more effort and even with an already (in the run-up as AI started) I am not sure whether the building of an aircraft of this kind would be worthwhile for the developers.

I also assume that mainly German airplanes would be excluded from this. Since we can estimate that we will still get at least 1-2 expansions with German aircraft and there you will rather save the aircraft for the expansions than to make a collector plan out of it (as it was already the case after BobP).  

I would love the idea of aircraft packs in general (sad that they didn't used the opportunity with the Yak-9's). 

Let's see what the future brings :)

I would pay for extra bombers. No questions asked. Lower quality target drones or click pit monstrosities, doesn't matter. 

• Upvote 2

I would pay 1000$ 

for these planes in a pack

DO 17

DO 217

B 26

B 25

—————————/—————————

Short Sunderland

Catalina or Swordfish or Grumman duck

Arado 196

Do 24 or 26

• Like 1

I'd buy in if it had a Lancaster or an Il-4 (most important missing bomber)... failing that a Wellington (Coastal Command and early 1942 night bomber for the Ju-88C6 to hunt) or a Ju-188 (the beautiful view!) would be nice...

Just remember that bombers are much more labour intensive to model... I don't have the figures but I wouldn't be surprised if 2.5 or 3 fighters could be modeled for the cost of one bomber.

53 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

Just remember that bombers are much more labour intensive to model... I don't have the figures but I wouldn't be surprised if 2.5 or 3 fighters could be modeled for the cost of one bomber.

Yes and no, in general bombers require more work then fighters mostly because of the number of different turrets that have to be created, this is especially true for an b17 or b24, so yes you could say 2/3 fighters could be made instead of an medium/heavy bomber.

On the other hand back in devblog 227 the IL2 team mentioned the P51/Tempest/P38 and an ai version of the B25 where the most difficult aircraft they had to create in there teams history, while this shows how difficult an ai version of the B25 was for the team it also shows the P51/Tempest and P38 where each individuality more difficult then the Pe2/Ju88/He111.

I am willing to buy a bomber for 50 ~ 70 dollars. In fact, I have only been flying bombers and attack aircraft so far.

• Upvote 2

It would be an instant buy for me.

I wouldn't mind if it would be more expensive than the usual price of the other products.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

Happy to buy even if its a pilot's position only and a bombsight. I appreciate that all the extra cockpits and turrets take too long and it is a big reason why bombers are not getting done. 

I certainly will buy a Do 217K with Fritz-X and Hs 293, but I doubt we will ever get that. (BoN would have offered that chance already, had the devs been interested).

Also, if the bomber is fast and has a solid nose packed with guns, like the A-26 Invader, I could imaging buying it, too.

But other than that... only if discounted, I guess.

3 hours ago, FliegerAD said:

I certainly will buy a Do 217K with Fritz-X and Hs 293, but I doubt we will ever get that. (BoN would have offered that chance already, had the devs been interested).

Also, if the bomber is fast and has a solid nose packed with guns, like the A-26 Invader, I could imaging buying it, too.

But other than that... only if discounted, I guess.

They might still go for an Do217 if they decide to do an Italy/Sicily campaign.

5 hours ago, ww2fighter20 said:

They might still go for an Do217 if they decide to do an Italy/Sicily campaign.

I sure hope that we get a Do 217 with Fritz X and Hs 293. But that seems to depend on the map size and timeframe.

I can see why we did not get them in BoN since they were largely ineffective and it probably requires a lot of effort to program those weapons. ...not to mention the aircraft. The Do 217 is a bit neglected in the simulator world... well, perhaps I would buy it even without the guided munitions after all. The radar-less Do 217J with the frontal armament could be fun too.

There seems to be a strong desire for more bombers. I generally buy everything IL-2, with a few exceptions. I pay for things I don't particular care about sometimes just because I want them to keep producing. ;)

• Upvote 1