Nothing, just setting QMBs and trying to figure out how to kill the Ratas. I can finally shot them down with a 109. And I can finally kill almost everything when flying the 190, but still can't beat a Rata. He is literally better than my plane in everything except at diving.

Replies of type "bring a wingman" or things like that doesn't help, I dont want to bring anyone, let me play alone the game lol.

So I know its possible to do it, but how?

Is the A3 not significantly faster? Get your speed up, gain separation and then altitude, then come back with height and speed advantage and boom and zoom him. With the armament you have head on shots are not a bad thing either.

been trying all night here the A3 and the Dora in multiple 1v1 battles, against the Rata, Yak7, P39, Pony and Mustang.

I have like a love-hate feeling towards the 190: I'm in Love with it and with its roll rate and I love that moment when you see your enemy totally rekt after "intercepting" his path while turning and you going at 600kmh doing perfect deflective shooting (plus is the plane I got my first MP kill, in berloga); but then I hate it for being so tricky. That damned thing must be flown perfectly, otherwise is a total useless piece of garbage. The 109 instead... you can make mistakes and still shot down whatever thing the enemy throw at you. I feel the AI is quite easy to beat if Im flying a F2 or a G2 (my favorite 109s). But the 190... The pain is hard, even with the Uber Dora.

1 on 1 in tight space the 190 has not much to offer. You can make him overshoot in a scissors maneuver but you cannot loop as in a 109. 190s are best flown in pairs where drag and bag can be used to great success

4 hours ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

He is literally better than my plane in everything except at diving.

Top speed of A3 on deck: 560

Top speed of I16 on deck: 448

So diving is far from being the only advantage you have. There is nothing much you can do except high speed B&Z and H&R tactics.

Then you really have an issue with the conception of "energy fighting".

190 vs Rata i mean seriously it takes about 10 seconds to return a situation where it could come by surprise, let's not talk about a "fair fight"...

Horizontal separation then vertical come back and bounce until he's done, that's all... Looking at how slow the I-16 is, it takes really little time to do.

Its like a Me 262 fighting a F-16 really.

Maybe not the best  comparsion but still. The I-16 is a floppy, slow,  flimsy little mess compared to the A-3.

A-3 is faster, climbs better (with some speed), rolls better at speed and lets not forget, a closed canopy. 

Edited by DerSheriff
  • Upvote 1

problem is the difference between a real war and a game.....

Developers will never (at least during my lifetime) be able to close this gap.

• Upvote 1

I've been the Rata in this situation many more times than I've been in the 190. I do understand why you're having trouble. In the 109 even you can get away with turning with the I-16 a bit because your acceleration and your climb let you get back the energy you burned, but you can't do that in a 190A3.

The QMB mission setups encourage quick, turning dogfights after a head-on pass. The 190 doesn't do this well, you need to blow past your opponent at the merge, get your speed up, and then make slow, smooth, energy-conserving climbing turns to set yourself up for a high speed diving attack. The I-16 is very maneuverable so it will likely avoid your attack and/or force a head on. In a 190, I would take the head ons. You have a lot of ammo. Open up at long range. if you get hits you'll kill the I-16 very quickly. if you don't get hits, blow through, extend, and reset again. If you are against only one opponent you can keep this up indefinitely.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

Nothing, just setting QMBs and trying to figure out how to kill the Ratas. I can finally shot them down with a 109. And I can finally kill almost everything when flying the 190, but still can't beat a Rata. He is literally better than my plane in everything except at diving.

Replies of type "bring a wingman" or things like that doesn't help, I dont want to bring anyone, let me play alone the game lol.

Hello,

The problem is related to how QMB works. Actually if i remember correctly all aircraft start the combat at the same speed. I'm not sure about the real figures but its something like this: when your Fw190A starts way below its normal combat speed and in the part of its enveloppe where it will have the most difficulty to win the acceleration or vertical contest against your I16 opponent which then is in an ideal environment to give you a little sweat.

I believe the starting speed in qmb at 1000m is something like 300kmh whatever your fighter is. Now you remember that AI is rather performant in accelerating and you have a situation where AI may have built more speed than you at the merge. In case of I16: it will be able to roll very fast and turn very hard to get on you six in a short time and probably in range and closing to force you to bleed more speed if you have no room left to build speed to run away in the initial part of the fight.

It is a pity that qmb doesn't set the right cruising speed or fighting speed for all aircraft and instead making them all start at the same speed. But on the other hand that taught me a lot of things, and is a good training and warming up place to practice quick setting of radiators (since some aircraft also start with fully open radiators ie p40 for no reasons while other start with rather hot temperatures for no clear reason either ie p39. Strange...)/rpm/mixture/turbo/trim etc to train to get the most of your aircraft in the least amount of time.

Edited by Caudron431Rafale

You can adjust the starting distance between the opposing flights in QMB settings if you do not feel you have time to get up to speed

Yes they should make this available for the duel mode of the QMB too.

With the duel mode beeing simpler they could make the fight beginning with correct cruise/combat speed and configuration for each aircraft. It would be very convenient for training, especially for beginners trying to learn how to engage and fight dissimilar fighters.

Anyway,

Just tried the fight Fw190A3 400l + 4X20mm configuration. Start at 1000m vs I16 1/3 fuel load veteran and ace AI. Map Kuban summer.

Start: push the engine to 1.3 ata while diving slightly, speed increase very rapidly, you should be at 500/550 easily at the merge, slightly turn under its nose at the merge, while keeping in a shallow dive (don't go for the deck in a rush as there is no need and you'd black out in the pull up).

You are building separation you can climb back up until 1000 1300m. (note: I16 is far behind and could be difficult to spot). There bank you ac in a shallow diving turn  to keep your speed high in a wide curve. AI will try to lead turn yourself, keep your speed up, and when merging this time, pull up in an steep zoom climb. don't forget to release pressure on the stick as soon as you are vertical enough, let yourself climb up, check the ball, roll as needed to get out of firing line. Keep the I16 in sight all the time and begin your hammerhead as soon as you notice he will stall.

It's time to say hello to the I16 and greet him with a bunch of twenties, one pass is enough.

Enjoy it burning and crashing on the ground.

combat time: 2:00 min

Edited by Caudron431Rafale
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

As always, you have to pick your engagements. A nimble fighter like the I-16 is really bad at being able to pick its engagements, but it's really good at turning things around if the enemy engaging it gives up their advantages. The Fw 190 is really good at clobbering things over the head through excess energy, it maintains energy well and maneuvers well at high speed. The I-16 doesnt do high speeds, and is very draggy. At high altitudes the Fw 190 climbs much better than the I-16 also. If you're flying the Fw 190 right, and picking your battles, the I-16 really shouldnt be any threat to you. A typical "zoom-n-boom" will give you the ability to make a guns pass on an I-16 and then be out of its reach before it can respond. If you hit him, then he's probably going down, if you missed then you can make another run after regaining your energy, or disengage depending on the situation. As with most engagements in war, the side that gets the first shot often wins regardless of equipment. 

6 hours ago, DerSheriff said:

Its like a Me 262 fighting a F-16 really.

Maybe not the best  comparsion but still. The I-16 is a floppy, slow,  flimsy little mess compared to the A-3.

A-3 is faster, climbs better (with some speed), rolls better at speed and lets not forget, a closed canopy. 

Or like an F-15 pilot once said: "Dog fighting an F-16 is like knife-fighting a midget in a phone booth." F-15 is much faster than the F-16, and the F-16 maintains the maneuverability advantage on the F-15. 

First rule of any fight: Never start a fair fight!

Edited by Kataphrakt

15 hours ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

Try to use vertical maneuvers like half loops, yo-yos, and wingovers to get an angle that leads to an intercept point - any intercept point.  Then put up a wall of lead.  the shot won't be from the 5:00 to 7:00 angles but rather from the 10:00 to 2:00 aspect.  Get some 20mm into him and then finish off the cripple.

thanks for all the input people.

Tonight I gonna try some of what you all adviced.

what I still wonder is if worth getting the extra guns. Since he is more maneuverable than me anyway, at least I want to have more guns so my probabilities of rekting him in one pass are higher, am I right?

9 hours ago, Caudron431Rafale said:

[...]

Itis a pity that qmb doesn't set the right cruising speed or fighting speed for all aircraft and instead making them all start at the same speed. But on the other hand that taught me a lot of things, and is a good training and warming up place to practice quick setting of radiators (since some aircraft also start with fully open radiators ie p40 for no reasons while other start with rather hot temperatures for no clear reason either ie p39. Strange...)/rpm/mixture/turbo/trim etc to train to get the most of your aircraft in the least amount of time.

indeed. Anyway, I like starting in the runway, so I get the most disadvantaous possible situation, I like suffering like that, trying to win a fight that its almost a sure loss.

Edit:

ok I finally started (somewhat) consistently killing them. I let them follow me while creating horizontal distance at high speeds. Then when we are distant enough I gain a bit of altitude, and then do a fast turn-while-descending towards him (at an angle of 45° or so). I accelerate quickly this way, while he will try to turn and burn all of his energy, then I perform a hammerhead, starting the maneuver at 450 kmh or so. He tries to follow me, but since he burned all of his energy, he stalls quickly, so when my plane starts diving above him, he is going slow and below me. Then its all about good gunnery... some shots and he is rekt. If I fail the shots (most of the times sadly, my aiming is quite bad), I just repeat the whole process.

I just finished a QMB when I actually did it all perfectly, the maneuvers and the gunnery, so sad I didnt record it :biggrin:

Still, my hammer-heads are awful, I dont perform them well consistently at all, and several times I just end up stalling my plane and losing the good chance, so I should work on that maneuver. That, and the aiming part...

Thanks people, everytime I struggle with the game, I come to the forums and the good advice helps me a lot (just like you all did with advicing me on how to fly the Mig and other things too) 😄

Edited by ME-BFMasserME262
  • Upvote 1