Sign in to follow this  
Han_Solo

Jug 50cals

FB_IMG_1580827215607.thumb.jpg.cdf980547769ae3d06b1c6d0284ab619.jpgIt may have been posted before, but thought I would share..

It amazes me the amount of firepower these fighters had..

I know first hand what 1x50cal can do, so would hate to be on the recieving end of 8 of them firing at once..

As for the weight in each wing, what a difference it would of made once ammo was depleted.

Edited by L0neW0lf
text
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Oh hell yeah. I’ve handle .50 belt and as short as a length it was it was heavier than it looked.

I have a .50 round sitting on my desk in the den here (also known to the wife as “The War Room”). Pictured next to it is a 7.62 tracer round...

E195ADBD-AE2E-424B-8DB0-70B3B1956CE8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12.7 vs 7.62 looks a bit of an optical illusion.. 

Sure that's not a 20mm?

Cheers, Dakpilot 

1 hour ago, BornToBattle said:

Oh hell yeah. I’ve handle .50 belt and as short as a length it was it was heavier than it looked.

I have a .50 round sitting on my desk in the den here (also known to the wife as “The War Room”). Pictured next to it is a 7.62 tracer round...

That is a decent size round mate, however that is not a 50 cal round.. That looks like a 50 Cannon round?

Below is the rounds I have fired and I believe is what the US fighters used in the Browning.

I definitely wouldn't like to get hit by one of what you've got :))

Image result for browning 50 cal round v 7.62 nato"

Edited by L0neW0lf
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BornToBattle said:

That is a 30mm US Army dummy practice round on the left.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BornToBattle said:

Why not show us the .50 cal round instead of this US Army 30 mm PB M88 Practice Round :wacko:

http://quanonline.com/military/military_reference/american/vietnam_misc/bomb/m55.php

S!

Especially with extra ammo the uter wing would be heavy on the P47. That will for sure affect roll rate or entry to roll. Same happened to Hurricane Mk.IIb with 12 x .303cal in the wings. The rather low roll rate was reduced because of the added guns and ammo. No wonder FW190A pilots got the outer guns removed, less weight and more roll to the already phenomenal roll rate or VVS removed outer wing guns on the P39 etc.

Edited by LLv34_Flanker

7 hours ago, bzc3lk said:

Why not show us the .50 cal round instead of this US Army 30 mm PB M88 Practice Round :wacko:

http://quanonline.com/military/military_reference/american/vietnam_misc/bomb/m55.php

Because I don’t have one on my desk at the moment.

Before my dad passed away in 2010, he had bought and sent me memorabilia for Glacier Girl. This round was a separate package that was sent later as he I suppose wanted to follow up on the P-38 and was sold to him as an inert .50 cannon round when and wherever he bought it for me (I have no idea now as many years have passed where he originally purchased it from). At the time I never paid much attention to it and packed it away until our most recent move and found it tucked away in a box and decided since it was from him to put it out. 

Obviously he got taken (or misunderstood as we suspect vascular dementia was taking hold) and I never questioned it back then. He knew I always loved aviation so he purchased this, but the forum proved the facts were wrong upon my posting in reference to the OP,  but he still had good intentions nonetheless. 

Unfortunately my adding a bit of “info” to the thread has backfired, but I learned more info in the process on the round. I shall acquire a correct .50 round for future display. Thanks. But this is a keeper nonetheless, even more so coming from him.

BTW, the round is stamped as...

”PBM88D556.011.M55A3” which I now presume is not a 30mm round but a 20mm round...unless I have stuck my head up my ass again bzc3lk.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/20mm-vulcan-training-projectiles.651256/

76A26175-B01E-48C5-B00C-2E9BD5E79680.jpeg

3AB89103-8AF7-4BC4-ACC2-731A3E81F85C.jpeg

Edited by BornToBattle
  • Like 1

In other news...

...found this with a P-47 testing 20mm Hispano under the wings...

3D2F1427-C4F7-4CA6-9993-36A4390A89C9.jpeg

3A2F6422-C023-4426-8E83-D62722565F45.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

VVS removed outer wing guns on the P39 

This is only partially true: what the Soviet technicians usually removed were the gondola installed guns of the Q-series P-39 (and indeed Bell stopped installing them at the factories altogether for USSR-intended batches). The internal .303 guns of earlier K/L and N models were usually kept as the flight characteristics didn't changed much with them uninstalled. 

Edited by ACG_Alexmarine