Sign in to follow this  
JGS4_MaxvonArese

Entente enlisted Japanese pilots

Salute Sirs,
I would love to welcome the multitude of new Japanese pilots recently enlisted by Entente. 
I do love the idea of FC being very international  and I have to say these Jap boys are adding new thrill to the game!
Personally I have always loved the Pacific WW2 scenario! Imagine how happy I was when I saw that we finally got not one, not two but a whole lot of Kamikaze flying for the Entente!
Yayyyy, finally reality is matching my wildest dreams! To see those guys, with planes looking like Switzerland cheese, smoking like crazy, engine on fire keep flying is refreshing!!
Everybody in real would run home and try to land but those guys do not do it! They have gut!! They keep attacking our CLII, shooting inspite of the fact they can barely fly, inspite of the fact they are wounded and almost blind!
They are heros!!! They know they will die but they keep fighting just to get a kill. Out of ammo? Do you think such a detail would stop them? No way! They can always ramn the bloody bomber!
Said that: Welcome Kamikaze, I was so missing you! I knew it was just a matter of time!!! And now, finally, you are here: WELCOME!

JGS4 Max von Arese

P.S.
The first time I will see somebody bashing about how unrealistic an Alby is cause it goes 3 kph faster than the real plane and it has 4 more screws than the real model I will go MAD!
Above all if the comments come from a Kamikaze (do not think they are new comers) . Dear Sirs, the only absolutely unrealistic, unreal, crazy  wrong part of the game are the pilots!
I am sure most of you already knew it...

Edited by JGS4_MaxvonArese

Cool post.  Nice to see an extra helping of in your face subtlety there.

Ramming Camels are very real, I've been on the receiving end of one a few times, and seen it happen in virtually every dogfight I've been in where a Camel and several Albies were involved.

The scenario is almost always the same: the fight starts out with an energy advantage for the Camel (how could it not?), but he either miscalculates his bounce or gets damaged/wounded in the initial attack. Now usually you'd expect a wounded pilot who failed his bounce to break off, but the Camel mentality sets in (I'm in a Camel, I cannot possibly not win, even if it means everybody loses), and the reckless turning as hard as possible begins.

This ends in either a) you moving out of the way and giving him the angle he needs to shoot you down or b) him ramming you.

If you're lucky you're over your own lines and he didn't ram you too hard, meaning you can bail. If you're unlucky, you're not over your own lines or you get knocked unconscious, and if he's lucky he doesn't even take damage from the ram. C'est la vie.

Far from me to suggest that we need to limit the number of Camels (after all I was a Camel fag once) — if anything we need more of them, so they can actually ram each other if they're being too reckless — we just need to make sure that most of the action takes place over Central lines. Camels have the speed, Albies have the... eh... parachutes, I guess? And I do realise that there's the D.VIIF to mess up the balance, but we're working on that, too.

The other way to keep Camels in line is a bit more controversial: locking fuel and loadouts. Fuel being the main factor, really. A Camel with 10% fuel is the monster we all dread, which creates energy out of nowhere, while a Camel with 50% fuel is still a beast but nowhere near as silly. Close to 100% makes it a decidely more delicate machine to fly. Locking loadouts is more of a suggestion. That is to say: we suggest you go bomb things with your fighter/bomber, as was historically the case.

In my opinion the problem are not Camels themself. Just for example, the last superhero we met who happily kept attacking inspite of the fact his plane was crippled and smoking and probably he was wounded.. was flying a SE5a.

Here the problem are the guys who play "Quake" instead of a "Simulation". Here the problem are the guys who want a kill in their  statistics, it doesn't matter what. The problem are the guys transforming a potentially fantastic simulation in a "shoothemall" for children.  Of course it's just my very personal opinion... 

How to solve it? Uhmmm difficult to say. To be a hero is very easy when you fly wearing slippers and you have a beer in your left hand... Nobody dies in real. Everybody is a hero! It's the most common problem of simulators and it's probably the main reason why "simulators are everything but simulations".

By the way I suppose that something could be done. For example I wouldn't put online any personal  statistic. Entente XXX Central Powers YYY . Put there just the score of the two sides and probably we would have people playing in a different way. Way more realistic I would say.

Moreover... I would (but I recon is a bit extreme) ban people who dies. Do you get killed? Ok, your ip is banned 2 hours long. Maybe we could give 2 lifes to the bombers...maybe. I am 100% sure we wouldn't see "superheros" anymore...

JGS4 Max von Arese

• Haha 1

In WWI Japan was an Entente power.   They flew N-17, N-24 and some SPADs.

Banzai !

Edited by JG1_Butzzell
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JGS4_MaxvonArese said:

In my opinion the problem are not Camels themself. Just for example, the last superhero we met who happily kept attacking inspite of the fact his plane was crippled and smoking and probably he was wounded.. was flying a SE5a.

Here the problem are the guys who play "Quake" instead of a "Simulation". Here the problem are the guys who want a kill in their  statistics, it doesn't matter what. The problem are the guys transforming a potentially fantastic simulation in a "shoothemall" for children.  Of course it's just my very personal opinion... 

How to solve it? Uhmmm difficult to say. To be a hero is very easy when you fly wearing slippers and you have a beer in your left hand... Nobody dies in real. Everybody is a hero! It's the most common problem of simulators and it's probably the main reason why "simulators are everything but simulations".

By the way I suppose that something could be done. For example I wouldn't put online any personal  statistic. Entente XXX Central Powers YYY . Put there just the score of the two sides and probably we would have people playing in a different way. Way more realistic I would say.

Moreover... I would (but I recon is a bit extreme) ban people who dies. Do you get killed? Ok, your ip is banned 2 hours long. Maybe we could give 2 lifes to the bombers...maybe. I am 100% sure we wouldn't see "superheros" anymore...

JGS4 Max von Arese

All that you say is true, but you can't punish people to try and make them stop flying a certain way. In the best case they will simply go fly somewhere else, which is not what we want on the J5 Flugpark, as we want to be inclusive to all players of all skill levels and all playstyles — regardless of whether you're here for 30 minutes of AirQuake ending in suicide once every month, or if you're on every single event with the rest of your squadron.

What you can do is reward people when they do fly a certain way. This is the reasoning behind the Community Awards.

For the most part, all playstyles are somehow rewarded. If you want to get a high PvP kill streak, obviously you will need to join during the weekly events (Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday) and fly aggressively enough to score kills, but also conservatively enough not to die to AirQuakers. This is part of the challenge. If, on the other hand, you're more into building a ground streak, then by all means fly when the server is empty — which in turn seeds the server. That's how I got my ground streak up to 57 (before the Tour roll-over ate it). For the record: a 75 ground kill streak is more or less considered to be the "ground attack Pour Le Mérite", which is the Gold Military Valor (Italy) for Entente and the War Merit Cross in Gold for Central. So far 57 is still the top streak.

However, if you don't care at all about vlife, but care more for teamplay and scoring objectives, you can go for Tour and Mission awards. These are independent of your vlife.

If you find both playstyles incompatible, then I have a final recommendation: get a second account. One in which your vlife matters, one in which your team/mission matters.

Plus, it's another copy of FC1 sold.

Edited by J5_Hellbender

Hahaha to be fair I also witnessed a Fokker-San DviiF greet a poor Bristol with a swooping headbutt last week. Clearly we have some mercenary Yukuza taking the Kaiser’s yen! 

A collision does not equal a "ram".  Occasionally back in the Rof days someone would fly into me and then start calling it out on chat as a ram by me.  I would be indignant because, the way I saw it, he'd flown into me.  But of course maybe from his perspective it actually did appear that the opposite had happened.  Remember, what we see in MP is not what everyone else necessarily sees.  So there's that.  Or perhaps he thought he owned the sky.

Also could the (IMO) overdone losing-consciousness effect cause "injured" players to fly where they don't want to?

And we're not all top-notch, well-drilled Jasta  pilots - maybe people make mistakes?

I've yet to experience a collision in FC that I could say without equivocation was deliberate (but then I always fly Entente😉)

I think that if you check the source material you'll find that I never alluded to, accidentally or otherwise, anyone from the Japanese nation.

• Haha 1

I got rammed by a suicidal Camel today while flying my Fokker Dr1. Watching the track several times, I can see that he pulled just a bit at the end, but this just a fraction before the ram. I'm not even sure if he really tried to pull up. He came in dead center on my prop to fire at the last second (it could have been intentional). I could do nothing, since I was turning tight with another Camel and did not see him coming. 

Whoever is flying Central has to deal with hordes of newbie’s doing all kinds of silly things. But I also have been rammed by Central planes, some intentional. In fact in the last couple months or so I was rammed five or six times, most of them to end good streaks. So far the rammers are the most menacing thing in this game to my knowledge.

I understand that my rides are made to fight in phone booths (I love it), and I did rammed a guy a few months back (made sure to apologize), but it is a risk to engage anything on the Central side. If you get lucky though and no one tries to pass through you like if I was a door, people do come to you in a plate. When I’m flying Entente, seldom we see someone crossing the mud other than the recons and earth movers. You have to go after your kill.

The last two times I crossed to fly Central I was rammed.

Edited by SeaW0lf

16 minutes ago, SeaW0lf said:

I got rammed by a suicidal Camel today while flying my Fokker Dr1. Watching the track several times, I can see that he pulled just a bit at the end, but this just a fraction before the ram. I'm not even sure if he really tried to pull up. He came in dead center on my prop to fire at the last second. I could do nothing, since I was turning tight with another Camel and did not see him coming. 

Camels ram everything! Albs, Dr.Is, other Camels....they're bloody rampant! 

• Haha 1

Maybe a little depressed ,but not suicidal.  It might have been me, I had two coming togethers this evening, or if he just ripped your wing up then possibly Oliver88.  If it was indeed you that I bumped into, I apologise, although my impression was slightly different, until we bumped, I thought we were going to miss each other, I just tried to add a little extra room at the last second and was a bit surprised when we collided.  It was a fun night but not quite as successful as I would have liked , I prefer to try to survive rather than cling on for dear life.

• Like 1

Just now, US93_Larner said:

Camels ram everything! Albs, Dr.Is, other Camels....they're bloody rampant! 

Exactly! I'm not flying Central lately, so most of the several rams that I suffered in the last couple months were from Central planes.

And I agree, there is no reason to cut the corners or get in the way and try to play chicken. I also hate when they do that.

You never have to worry about the 20's ramming any central, We're to busy ramming each other lol. Happens when you get old and blind. 

5 hours ago, NO.20_W_M_Thomson said:

You never have to worry about the 20's ramming any central, We're to busy ramming each other lol. Happens when you get old and blind. 

Yeah, saw two Dolphins collide trying to lay into a Fokker, and I had been so impressed, they’d been doing so well up until that point. 

On 2/6/2020 at 11:30 PM, =CfC=FatherTed said:

I think that if you check the source material you'll find that I never alluded to, accidentally or otherwise, anyone from the Japanese nation.

Sometimes it is all a misunderstanding...

Ahhh the british humor, it will be missed in the EU for sure.

Edited by J99_Sizzlorr

Kamikaze was use of planes and pilots as delivery system for payload of explosives.

Using the airframe itself as payload to ram with was Russian (and later, Soviet) technique. And there were Russian pilots on Western Front, historically...

1 hour ago, J2_Trupobaw said:

Kamikaze was use of planes and pilots as delivery system for payload of explosives.

Using the airframe itself as payload to ram with was Russian (and later, Soviet) technique. 

Pioneered and later refined by J13 mamochka's grandfather and mamo respectively.

21 hours ago, SeaW0lf said:

I got rammed by a suicidal Camel today while flying my Fokker Dr1. Watching the track several times, I can see that he pulled just a bit at the end, but this just a fraction before the ram. I'm not even sure if he really tried to pull up. He came in dead center on my prop to fire at the last second (it could have been intentional). I could do nothing, since I was turning tight with another Camel and did not see him coming. 

Whoever is flying Central has to deal with hordes of newbie’s doing all kinds of silly things. But I also have been rammed by Central planes, some intentional. In fact in the last couple months or so I was rammed five or six times, most of them to end good streaks. So far the rammers are the most menacing thing in this game to my knowledge.

I understand that my rides are made to fight in phone booths (I love it), and I did rammed a guy a few months back (made sure to apologize), but it is a risk to engage anything on the Central side. If you get lucky though and no one tries to pass through you like if I was a door, people do come to you in a plate. When I’m flying Entente, seldom we see someone crossing the mud other than the recons and earth movers. You have to go after your kill.

The last two times I crossed to fly Central I was rammed.

21 hours ago, HagarTheHorrible said:

Maybe a little depressed ,but not suicidal.  It might have been me, I had two coming togethers this evening, or if he just ripped your wing up then possibly Oliver88.  If it was indeed you that I bumped into, I apologise, although my impression was slightly different, until we bumped, I thought we were going to miss each other, I just tried to add a little extra room at the last second and was a bit surprised when we collided.  It was a fun night but not quite as successful as I would have liked , I prefer to try to survive rather than cling on for dear life.

I was sporting a black and white checked streamer. Hagar was sporting a solid blue one. So that could help confirm whether one of us (not that consider it matters much as accidental either way). I also was involved in two collisions that evening. I do not remember much detail about the engagement with the Triplane that damaged its upper wing on me. I could be wrong (mistaken memory) but does not sound to me as though this was the collision I was involved in as you state you were turning with another Camel and did not see them coming (while during my collision the Triplane was engaged with me so could see me while Hagar just remained above covering).

Just had a thought to cross reference the sortie logs. Gather this was the sortie?

http://stats.jasta5.org:8000/en/sortie/log/22742/?tour=9

http://stats.jasta5.org:8000/en/sortie/log/22734/?tour=9

http://stats.jasta5.org:8000/en/sortie/log/22741/?tour=9

The other collision that I assume I was involved with last night was while I was remaining above intending to cover the others I was in communications with. Doing so is something I am having trouble with so may post for advice on the matter. But anyway I ended up seeing a D7 below that did not seem to be very evasive, was not being fired upon nor could I see someone right behind them. So I decided to swoop down and set myself beside him. But as I did so my aircraft suddenly jolted and must have patted someone on the head that I could not see in my blind spots. 😅

On 2/4/2020 at 7:00 PM, =CfC=FatherTed said:

A collision does not equal a "ram".  Occasionally back in the Rof days someone would fly into me and then start calling it out on chat as a ram by me.  I would be indignant because, the way I saw it, he'd flown into me.  But of course maybe from his perspective it actually did appear that the opposite had happened.  Remember, what we see in MP is not what everyone else necessarily sees.  So there's that.  Or perhaps he thought he owned the sky.

Also could the (IMO) overdone losing-consciousness effect cause "injured" players to fly where they don't want to?

And we're not all top-notch, well-drilled Jasta  pilots - maybe people make mistakes?

I've yet to experience a collision in FC that I could say without equivocation was deliberate (but then I always fly Entente😉)

My own thoughts on the matter tends to run along similar lines to some of this. I've also not seen anything from either side that I would consider to have been deliberate attempts at ramming. Have just put any collisions down to miscalculations, coincidental mirrored movements, unseen aircraft, on behalf of both parties. Despite the slower speed in these aircraft the close up engagements feel more fast paced, so split second mistakes happen. Perhaps some have been aided due to trying to remain aggressive and on the offensive rather than put myself firmly on the defensive when in a fight. Also when bouncing someone tend to push home my attacks. But just as Hagar states above I would also rather survive my sorties. And some head on passes with aircraft during the evening scared the hell out of me. I also tend to disagree with some descriptions of Camel mentalities given here.

Is there not some famous rules about firing at close range, when the enemy are in your sights, and turning on to your attacker and meeting them with your guns rather than facing their onslaught that could also explain the cause for some head on collisions.

Edited by Oliver88

I guess what happens is that with time we tend to fly as we would fly in real life, not cutting corners or pointing the nose to get the last bid at the last second. It still happens with old folks, but it is rarer. In general, I stay away from furballs or those instances when we see several Entente or Central guys disputing a single kill. But sometimes it is impossible to avoid shoulder shooting, kill stealing (many times the guy gets in between you and the kill, sometimes ramming you, which also happened to me) and those crazy dives disregarding who is already turning with the foe. A couple weeks ago a Spad just rammed me through my back trying to fire on my kill (none of the veterans). I have a good connection (seldom disco), so lag could be responsible for a small margin, but if you are diving on someone counting to avoid a collision on the last fraction of a second, the possibility that you will crash is high, something that anyone would gamble in real life. Then there are the not so experienced ones who try crazy maneuvers and ends up stalling on top of your head, that sort of thing, which also happens often.

But it is all good. I don't recall giving anyone a hard time after a ram, and some of those rams ended long streaks. But the matter is real and perhaps could be more pondered.

For example, many times you end up in a situation when a couple Spads join to help, and you can’t be brushing shoulders to dispute a kill. Just fire in turns, especially because when we are in trouble, they are generally the first ones to show up to help. You might lose the kill, but you live for another fight and learn to work as a team and to assist in some kills.

These are the fun aspects of the game for me lately. But I respect who is just going through the motions.

one of you who, without sin, let the first throw 
a stone
Edited by emely

As for the Japanese pilots.  I do not understand why they were mentioned in this thread.  These were guys who could easily cut eggs from most local writers.  Their country was the enemy of my country in that war .. But this is not a reason to expose them in a silly form.  A good enemy is better than a bad friend, and the lessons he will give you should never be forgotten.

As a lyrical digression, one of my favorite videos from the time of this Il2

Edited by emely

It doesn't help that the camel has the slightly exaggerated ability to maintain energy in a zoom climb and turn.  It  likely takes a disciplined and experienced pilot to realize that if they keep pulling back on the stick to get the angle (as in putting the guns on target) that by definition, eventually it often will mean litterally exactly that!   Nose and guns and everything else!

On 2/4/2020 at 1:00 PM, =CfC=FatherTed said:

Of I only had a dollar for each time this happens to me in World of Warships.