The Great P 38

taffy2jeffmorgan

SCG_Tzigy

this should help! u can use an identical technique w p-38

• Upvote 1
I./JG52_Woutwocampe

I love the P-38. Its a beautiful plane and I really enjoy it in GB. Not so much in the old IL2, Janes ww2 fighters or EAW but now I really love it. Especially as a ground attack plane. Stable, packs a punch with all guns in the nose + fun loadouts. And its fun to fly it just for flying it. Far from a perfect plane or a great dogfighter but really, I love this beauty.

Zippy-do-dar

I always record my self dropping bombs and watch the replay in slow to see where i have aimed and where the bomb goes

Kott451

Requiem's videos are all extremely helpful.

One thing I'd strongly recommend for practicing bombing is to set up a quick mission in an area of the map with a lot of artillery guns, an ideal practice target.  

In the Realism options set your ammunition to unlimited (and likely your fuel as well cause why not) and set up your bombs with five second timers. 

With five second timers you should be able to look back and judge whether you hit the target or were short or long. That way you can keep bombing until you run out of targets and adjust your aim as you drop in the mission.  Once you get a feel for how to drop it should easier to be fairly accurate than you might think. 

I really think that using the quick mission to set up practice mission that gives you the most "reps" of the particular skill per sortie is the most efficient way to practice it.  One caution I would add to recording is it works well, but don't try to follow the trajectory of the bomb as it falls.  Instead concentrate on the explosion.  I don't think that the animation tracks the actual trajectory of the dropped bomb.  

Also, something to bear in mind for soft targets, larger bombs give you a little more wiggle room on aim.  Thus, if you carry 1000 lb bomb you don't have to get the impact quite as close as a 500 lb bomb to destroy the target.  This is true for tanks as well but the difference there is pretty small as I recall.  Of course, bigger bombs slow you down more.  So it's all a trade off. 

• Thanks 1
Diggun
On 6/10/2021 at 6:47 PM, Aroga said:

I have problems dropping bombs because i don,t hit the target, i throw too early or too late

I nedd to learn

As others have said, Requiem's videos are invaluable here. 

Just another recommendation though, as someone who flies the 38 as a ground attacker quite a lot. I was having the same issue with the 38, always either bombing long as you're coming down on the target so fast, or bombing short due to overcompensating for the perceived long drop. The way I've found round this is to attack in a much steeper dive than the usual shallow dive technique I would use in an A20. If you use a 60 degree-ish dive on target, your bombs will 'dig in' more, and I have found accuracy much improved. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
[CPT]Crunch

Quick mission, unlimited weapons centerline bomb.  Set the aim assist cheat on, and put the control button for aim assist on/off on your stick or throttle and also the pause button if you can piggy back it to your drop button, two stage trigger will work.  When you release weapon where you think you should the game will pause, turn on the computed drop point aid and see where the game predicts, go to outside view and watch the actual hit.  You'll figure it out from there, what speed, angle, and height, and what the sight picture should look like.  Get that ball centered up.

• Thanks 1
pocketshaver

i dont know if the bomb assist truly works.   Even level flight doing 800m runs the circle can be way way way off from where bombs hit. 

And i wish the bomb damage was more realisitc...... i drop a 2000 on a factory, i would like to see damage on the closest buildings..