Kradgger

[MOD] Wobbly Tracers! v2.0 - Now featuring straight version!

You, sir! Yes, YOU. Are you tired of your plane spitting out boring, thick balls of flame for bullets? Does a smear of light seem weird for a tracer? Well then I bring you the answer to your prayers!

Presenting: Wobbly Tracers! Inspired by ye olde Guncam Tracers mod for IL-2: 1946 by user santobr.

But what are words without a picture to accompany them!

dzcdzUC.png

If you are a user of Mitthrawnuruodo's amazing Multicoloured Tracers mod you can install a complementary addon to get wobbly tracers working with it! (WARNING: Install AFTER said mod)

So install this mod now and turn those unrealistic stains into tracers fit for only the best [insert nation here] guncam footage propaganda!

Download link (MediaFire). Install via JSGME or by dropping in the "data" folders on your IL-2:GB main folder and overwriting when prompted to.

Known issues:

• Tracers might look like DNA strings when looked at closely from certain angles. It's just how the tracer model was made and it's barely noticeable in action.

Changelog:

• v2.0 (2/3/2020) - Added straight version for both default and coloured tracers
Edited by Kradgger
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 7

Works well. You have to install one mod from inside the first 'Wobbly Tracer' folder by a mod enabler not the whole download itself.

Edited by vonGraf

1 hour ago, Birdman said:

Can this be used in MP?

Only with mods on servers

1 hour ago, SCG_motoadve said:

Installed them via JSGME but is not working for me.

It worked for me. I used the one with the multicolored tracers. It was a little hard to notice at first when flying at noon ( I had to fire a burst and pause it to investigate ) 

1 minute ago, rowdyb00t said:

Only with mods on servers

It worked for me. I used the one with the multicolored tracers. It was a little hard to notice at first when flying at noon ( I had to fire a burst and pause it to investigate ) 

Yes was hard to notice, they are smaller.

It works now.

• Upvote 1

Interesting. One question comes to mind...when we see the countless gun camera footages from WW2 the tracers indeed look wobbly at best at times. Is that more due to the camera picking up the vibrations though or the actual rounds themselves since in testing films with tracers they seem to be straight as an arrow (not shot by gun camera obviously so I guess I just answered my own question).

Great mod BTW, I’m just throwing this out there spitballing so to speak as I’m not extremely knowledgable on this by any means! Would be cool to use this mod then convert to look as archived footage and see the end result!

DE4B01F5-BAD1-468E-9EED-E3C1CF672A6A.jpeg

Edited by BornToBattle
  • Upvote 1

Wow.  I just installed Wobbly Tracer Mod™ 

I suddenly feel much younger and have loads of get up and go.  I’m a big hit at parties and attractive members of the opposite sex are now wanting to get to know me better.  

Thank you Wobbly Tracer!

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, BornToBattle said:

Interesting. One question comes to mind...when we see the countless gun camera footages from WW2 the tracers indeed look wobbly at best at times. Is that more due to the camera picking up the vibrations though or the actual rounds themselves since in testing films with tracers they seem to be straight as an arrow (not shot by gun camera obviously so I guess I just answered my own question).

Great mod BTW, I’m just throwing this out there spitballing so to speak as I’m not extremely knowledgable on this by any means! Would be cool to use this mod then convert to look as archived footage and see the end result!

2F87B992-B990-4E0B-876A-B6498CD3825A.jpeg

Yep, camera vibration indeed. Same for most of the smoke tracers, with exception of some German rounds which had phosporus smoke being blown from the side of the round rather than the back of it.

P.S. - can't open the picture you tried to post.

@Kradgger - I'm not interested in the wobbly part, but I'd love to see the straight tracers have the thickness of your wobbly ones - looks just about right on your screenshots. Any chance for development of straight-and-thin version of the mod?

Edited by Art-J
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, BornToBattle said:

I had that in mind, but then I remembered that not only are the planes rattly, but also the guns when fired give them quite a shake. I think they'd also look like that from the pilot's POV, at least when flying single props 😀.

6 hours ago, Art-J said:

chance for development of straight-and-thin version of the mod?

Can do that in a jiffy, 2.0 incoming!

Edit: Wish granted! Enjoy.

Edited by Kradgger

hello very well done  .is it possible to have a less thin and more visible tracers version of this beautifull mod ?

On 2/2/2020 at 8:47 PM, BornToBattle said:

Years ago in either the original Il-2 1946 or maybe Cliffs of Dover , I remember reading exactly the same thing: wobbly tracer+ aircraft camera vibration.I don't remember what the final outcome of this discussion was back then & still wonder about it now, but I will try the mod just to see the difference.I assume I but in the JSGME,right?

22 hours ago, Reinerjl said:

hello very well done  .is it possible to have a less thin and more visible tracers version of this beautifull mod ?

Vouch for that too.

Tracers are to help see where are the bullets/cannons are going, they are a bit hard to see now.

• Upvote 1

Argh! Thanks for all the replies and info people! To make it up, I posted the pic of the P-38 with tracer firing during test on ground in my original response above.

On 2/2/2020 at 11:00 PM, Feathered_IV said:

Wow.  I just installed Wobbly Tracer Mod™ 

I suddenly feel much younger and have loads of get up and go.  I’m a big hit at parties and attractive members of the opposite sex are now wanting to get to know me better.  

Thank you Wobbly Tracer!

Funny. Your response reminded me of that SNL sketch for the Bass-O-Matic with Dan Aykroyd.

Am sadly unable to play currently, would someone be so kind and post a video (YouTube or sth) so I can see how it looks in motion?

Is this still working with the new colored tracer mode (version 1.2) that has been modified to work with the new damage model? Tried to install it with JSGME and no way to have it working.. Thank you

@HammerCed This should work with Multicolored Tracer Mod 1.2 - The wobbly tracer mod only replaces the ammo*.bmp files.

I just checked, there are wobbly tracers only for blue, green, white and yellow tracers

Try the following:

Copy all ammo*.bmp files from the Wobbly tracer mod zip file from the "Wobbly Tracers" and "Wobbly Tracers (for Multicolored Traces by Mitthrawnuruodo)" folders into the folder data\graphics\ammo\textures of the Multicolored Tracer Mod 1.2, overwriting the .bmp files there.

Check afterwards if all the .bmp files there look "wobbly" to you - if not, copy & replace...

I hope I was able to explain it in an understandable way without knowing your technical background 🙂

or faster: try the special MultiWobbly Tracer Mod 1.2 I made customized, just for you (thanks Mitthrawnuruodo for the original mod and Kradgger on the wobbly mod!)

Feel free to contact me if you require any further information.

Best regards

Rieper

MutliWobbleTracers1.2.zip

Generally speaking I think this mod is on the right track, however my only complaint is that the tracers themselves are too small, to the point one can barely see them once they're past the 150-200m mark. I think if their size was increased by just about 25-50% it would benefit greatly in terms of both looks and functionality. Otherwise superb!

Thanks a lot Rieper!! 

Very touched by the just for me zip!!! 😉

Joke aside! It works perfectly now! 

All the best