Jason_Williams

Happy Super Bowl Sunday!

Happy Super Bowl Sunday to all the American Football fans here. The spread is only a point here in Vegas. Basically a pick'em. That's rare for a Super Bowl.'

Enjoy the game!

Jason

• Upvote 6

Shaping up to be a great game. Also looking forward to the commercials. Go Chiefs!

I'm rooting for KC, but if I were laying a bet down it would be SanFran and the over. Defense seems always to win in the end, but the over covers you in case it turns into a shootout and KC pulls it out.

Should be good: Provisioning should be easier with much less crowded stores, and the roads to/fro will be all mine.😀

Any time I can root against the hated Niners it makes for a good game.

Hoping for some new Gecko ( Geico) and Limu Emu (  Liberty Mutual) commercials myself.

I have no real preference on who wins, will probably root for K.C.

18 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Any time I can root against the hated Niners it makes for a good game.

I totally agree!!

Great win for the Chiefs.

A Shame NFL gamepass played up and had to switch to the BBC to watch the end of the game 😔

Good game.

And congratulations to the great state of Kansas! They must be proud of their team.

• Haha 1

I don't watch much sport on TV, but usually make an exception for the Superbowl. Well worth staying up for this time. And a deserved win for the Chiefs.

35 minutes ago, w00dy said:

A Shame NFL gamepass played up and had to switch to the BBC to watch the end of the game 😔

I'm just imagining the Superbowl broadcast on the BBC, but they just keep the same announcers they have for the soccer games, and they're just really confused.

"Well, chaps, I'm told that this is a football game but apparently no one has told any of these fellows they're not supposed to pick up the ball with their hands! Seems there's only one man on each squad that knows you're supposed to kick it. And I'm not sure how the goaltender is supposed to climb up between the goal posts."

They should get this (actual Irish football commentator) to commentate all sports imho.

1 minute ago, RedKestrel said:

I'm just imagining the Superbowl broadcast on the BBC, but they just keep the same announcers they have for the soccer games, and they're just really confused.

"Well, chaps, I'm told that this is a football game but apparently no one has told any of these fellows they're not supposed to pick up the ball with their hands! Seems there's only one man on each squad that knows you're supposed to kick it. And I'm not sure how the goaltender is supposed to climb up between the goal posts."

Us Brits aren't that ignorant when it comes to sports (we invented most of them, after all 😉). I suspect the average Brit sports fan could give a better explanation of the rules of hand-egg than most U.S. fans could do for cricket. American Football isn't that complicated, or at least isn't complicated enough to stop you figuring out what the players are trying to do most of the time. And it has the advantage (on TV) that you get to watch everything three times at least, so you can have it all explained to you if you missed it.

It's was only the last 5 minutes of the game, and after the game clock hit zero I just went straight to bed.

Lucky for me I'm glad the BBC was showing it, as I stopped Sky sports due to getting gamepass. Other wise I would of missed the end of the game.

1 hour ago, AndyJWest said:

Us Brits aren't that ignorant when it comes to sports (we invented most of them, after all 😉). I suspect the average Brit sports fan could give a better explanation of the rules of hand-egg than most U.S. fans could do for cricket. American Football isn't that complicated, or at least isn't complicated enough to stop you figuring out what the players are trying to do most of the time. And it has the advantage (on TV) that you get to watch everything three times at least, so you can have it all explained to you if you missed it.

I didn't mean to impugn the sportliness of the UK. As a Canadian, I will do the traditional thing and blame the Americans.

I was just having fun with the fact that pretty much everyone outside North America calls soccer football, and American Football, despite being called football, doesn't have much foot contact with the ball and isn't proper football at all. Canadian Football is American Football with slightly different rules and lower player salaries (the exchange rate is a real bugger).

As far as Cricket is concerned, I'm half convinced it is an elaborate practical joke played on, well, just about everyone. You could tell meanything about the game and I would probably believe you, just nodding along as long as somebody used the word 'wicket' (which is just fun to say). 

Of course Canadians have no leg to stand on, being gigantic fans of strapping blades to their feet and chasing a rubber disc around a frozen oval. 

I do like the name hand-egg though, I might start using it...if only to troll my brother, who is more into Football than me.

Edited by RedKestrel

2 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

I didn't mean to impugn the sportliness of the UK. As a Canadian, I will do the traditional thing and blame the Americans.

I was just having fun with the fact that pretty much everyone outside North America calls soccer football, and American Football, despite being called football, doesn't have much foot contact with the ball and isn't proper football at all. Canadian Football is American Football with slightly different rules and lower player salaries (the exchange rate is a real bugger).

As far as Cricket is concerned, I'm half convinced it is an elaborate practical joke played on, well, just about everyone. You could tell meanything about the game and I would probably believe you, just nodding along as long as somebody used the word 'wicket' (which is just fun to say). 

Of course Canadians have no leg to stand on, being gigantic fans of strapping blades to their feet and chasing a rubber disc around a frozen oval. 

I do like the name hand-egg though, I might start using it...if only to troll my brother, who is a 49ers fan. 

American Football derives its name from Rugby Football (it started out when American colleges invented new rules for Rugby), which in turn began as a variation on the actual move-the-ball-with-your-feet game, when some upper-class twit decided that picking up the ball and running with it was entirely more effective. You need rich parents to get away with that sort of thing. 😀

As for Cricket being a practical joke, it seems to be one that backfired on us, since the colonies we successfully exported it to have since demonstrated that inventing something doesn't necessarily make you the best at it. We should probably come up with something new, or possibly adopt something obscure like the Dutch pole-vault-over-a-canal sport. Given the amount of rain we've been having, it might even come in useful.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

As far as Cricket is concerned, I'm half convinced it is an elaborate practical joke played on, well, just about everyone.

I knew I'd reached Peak British last year when I found myself part of a scratch Cambridge University Libraries cricket team who had been challenged to a Varsity grudge match by the (infinitely more experienced) Bodleian XI. We played on a beautiful college cricket ground, and the day was completed by a Tiger Moth buzzing around overhead (I kid you not). We were soundly trounced by the Oxford visitors, though the consensus was  that the CUL tea offering was superior to the Bod's effort.

Even though we lost, it was agreed that cricket was the real victor of the day, and we've been practicing hard at nets throughout the winter, so when we play the return leg next summer in Oxford, we should be a tad more competitive. We've even got a rather swish logo for all our gear now. Completely ridiculous.

CULCC.PNG

• Haha 1

You have to be kidding with that logo lol.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

possibly adopt something obscure like the Dutch pole-vault-over-a-canal sport. 

I am delighted that, after a quick Google search for "Dutch pole-vault-over-a-canal", I have discovered you weren't pulling my leg but that it is an actual thing called Fjierljeppen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP32iWoqjnQ

I think I know what we all want to see here - an Englishman shouting "mind the gap" and then pole vaulting the Thames.

8 minutes ago, Diggun said:

I knew I'd reached Peak British last year when I found myself part of a scratch Cambridge University Libraries cricket team who had been challenged to a Varsity grudge match by the (infinitely more experienced) Bodleian XI. We played on a beautiful college cricket ground, and the day was completed by a Tiger Moth buzzing around overhead (I kid you not). We were soundly trounced by the Oxford visitors, though the consensus was  that the CUL tea offering was superior to the Bod's effort.

Even though we lost, it was agreed that cricket was the real victor of the day, and we've been practicing hard at nets throughout the winter, so when we play the return leg next summer in Oxford, we should be a tad more competitive. We've even got a rather swish logo for all our gear now. Completely ridiculous.

CULCC.PNG

Peak British is so much wilder than Peak Canadian. Peak Canadian is just watching hockey, drinking mediocre coffee and grousing about the weather. 
/Peak Albertan is the same, but in a cowboy hat.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, AndyJWest said:

Disagree on the complexity part, at least when you start to get into details.. 

The manner in which offenses and defenses adjust and disguise before the start of the play is very interesting.  For example, showing a safety in the box signaling a run defense and then at the last moment rotating several players such that your safeties are now aligned in a deep cover - all while the offense is adjusting the play, calling out blocking, changing on the fly to account for defensive shifts, etc.  If anybody gets off script you end up with a blown play.  A lot of the most interesting stuff happens before the ball is snapped.

Then there is the execution itself.  Quarterbacks release the ball before the receiver even makes a break.  They do not throw to a man, rather a window at a point in time and the man had better be there.  It's more than just leading somebody with a pass.  It is identifying what window will be available, when it will be available, and all in real time.  It gets really . interesting when a play breaks down and the offense tries to create on the fly.  Zone vs man blocking, pulling guards, getting centers out to the next level to take out a linebacker, there is really quite a lot going on.

It's also one of the most team oriented sports that there is.  Any weakness is exploited mercilessly.  Of course there is always a weakness, so teams scheme and disguise to mitigate them.  There is a lot more to the game than big guys smashing each other ... although that is certainly part of the equation :) 

Anyhow - it was a good game.  Glad to see Reid get a Super Bowl and I like Mahomes too.  He seems like he is having fun out on the field.