Bjorrrrn

Is the Yak 9 actually worth it?

Hi all.

After having done a small bit of reading, it seems the Yak 9 and Yak 1b are virtually the same aircraft. I already own the Yak 1b and am finding it hard to convince myself to spend the money on an identical aircraft?

What's everyone's opinion on this?

Thanks.

That is indeed true.

They are very similar, although I think the altitude performance of the Yak-9 should be a little better. I have both Yaks pre-ordered and I am curious how they will perform. I think it will also depend on the modifications, in how far it will pay off. Some people hope that a Yak9b might be possible as a modification. In itself this would be a nice thing, since the  Yak 9 has many variations. In the worst case I would recommend (if you are not sure) to wait until there are more details about the plane.

best regards Rico

As a Base Aircraft, mostly yes.  It will be slightly better in most Ways, but hardly noticable in a Fight.

The possible Options are interesting,, as the Yak-9 has Storage Options behind the Pilot for Additional Fuel Storage, Internal Bombs, including PTABs. It will compliment the Yak-1b in a Role similar to the 190F-8 and G-8 to the A-8.

image.png.03de2de9150fc3e187c441ab2ef25e24.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

The storage compartment seems like a great bonus if added! Let's hope the developers will shed some light soon. 

Thanks for the reply!

2 hours ago, Bjorrrrn said:

After having done a small bit of reading, it seems the Yak 9 and Yak 1b are virtually the same aircraft. I already own the Yak 1b and am finding it hard to convince myself to spend the money on an identical aircraft?

I thought the Yak-9 was a development of the Yak-7, not the Yak-1 (whose further development led to the Yak-3).

EDIT: I'll say this, if it weren't a different plane, the USSR wouldn't have built both, as they were very good about picking one weapon and going with it, unlike the Germans.

Edited by cardboard_killer

22 minutes ago, cardboard_killer said:

EDIT: I'll say this, if it weren't a different plane, the USSR wouldn't have built both, as they were very good about picking one weapon and going with it, unlike the Germans.

Well... 

Outwardly and performance-wise the two are very similar (largely coincidental), but in construction they differ quite a bit. 

The main reason both lines were kept in production, even as they converged was because re-tooling and restructuring the factories that were already producing one line to produce the other would have slowed down production significantly, something the USSR couldn't afford at the time. 

This was true for almost every aspect of Soviet war time production: Things were only really stadardized within the factory - not between factories. This is why for instance the T-34 tank was at one point being produced with 3 different types of turret, depending on where it was manufactured.

Later the two lines of Yaks diverged again and ended up with two quite distinct fighters. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, cardboard_killer said:

I thought the Yak-9 was a development of the Yak-7, not the Yak-1 (whose further development led to the Yak-3).

What? The Germans had the 109 and the 190 as their go-to fighters. The soviets had various different aircraft, do I need to name every single brand and type of fighter they used throughout the war? xD

None of this is a bad thing, but I wouldn't say I'm a rich guy so I'd like to put my money where it counts.

@OP: To me the Yak-9 is worth it, simply because of how important and iconic it is. A plane that was produced in those insane numbers, and served for such a long time pretty much unchanged, is a must-have. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Bjorrrrn said:

I'd like to put my money where it counts.

Well it seems to me you answered this yourself. 
I waited some years to get the 109 G6 because I do not fly 109 in this game. But to me there is only two 109 the E7 and G6. So I bought it eventually. Thing is you do not have to decide right now

Depends, if your into Single play then its worth it, if your more into MP and have yak-1b like me, i will wait to see what stats or modifications will it have compared to yak-1b to see if its worth full price or wait for 50%+ sale like it was case for moste copy paste 109s 190s i got. For Yak-9T whats important is 37mm gun that is better then crapy ones on P-39 and Lagg3, so i got that one imidiatly.

what net say yak-9 should be faster by littel abow ~4km, should turn a little better, and climb also better at higher alts. In 1946 it had higher max dive speed. Nothing to mutch interesting when you have yak-1b exept dive speed one for me, if it has better dive speed then yak-1b then to me its worth getting it for MP.

Edited by CountZero
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Finkeren said:

Things were only really stadardized within the factory - not between factories

Yes, and they tended to build just a couple of huge factories. Look at the number of sherman variants there were compared to T-34s, or the number of PzIV variants. And within the German factories, there were variants and kits etc, too.

In any case, if the Yak-9 is "just" a longer Yak-1b, then the Bf-109K is "just" a smoother Bf-109G14. Etc. etc. etc.

Of course we need to buy the Yak-9. It is an awesome plane and most important, with a purchase we support the Dev Team and Jason. I guess we all want 1C Games Studio to continue providing their great updates and new content.

• Upvote 6

But why not the Yak-9 D the most imported one

or the Yak-3

And the Yak-9-U-M and so on

I wil buy them all

12 minutes ago, BOOS30 said:

or the Yak-3

I wil buy them all

We won't be able to use these planes in the current Eastern front careers. 

• Upvote 8

13 minutes ago, BOOS30 said:

or the Yak-3

I wil buy them all

They pick Yak-9s they can fit in SP atleast, and for Yak-9D it looks like its basicly same as Yak-9 just with extra fuel tanks so they can maybe add that as modification

1 minute ago, CountZero said:

They pick Yak-9s they can fit in SP atleast, and for Yak-9D it looks like its basicly same as Yak-9 just with extra fuel tanks so they can maybe add that as modification

Moreover, except for specific missions Yak-9D pilots only took between 240 and 270 liters of fuel, to not be too heavy and perform as the basic Yak-9.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bjorrrrn said:

Hi all.

Thanks.

As a fan of the Yak fighter series it's a must buy for me. It's going to be a bit like the Bf109F-4 versus G-2 where the differences are subtle and maybe not that pronounced. Interestingly, the Yak-7B to Yak-9 should be the closer comparison while the Yak-1B is the later expression of the earlier Yak-1. There are distinct handling differences between the Yak's to the point where I know a few people who find themselves not enjoying flying the Yak-1B (IMHO it's my favourite Russian fighter) but do enjoy flying the Yak-7B and will likely appreciate the Yak-9.

More from a historical perspective, the Yak-9 was THE Russian fighter in terms of numbers produced so there's no way for me to give it a miss. If you're looking at it purely from an aircraft to dogfight with point of view there may not be enough of a difference. The Yak-9T on the other hand packs a very capable 37mm cannon so that does change the game a bit.

• Upvote 3

No, why bother with a Yak when you can have a La-5FN? :P

this post was sponsored by the Lavochkin Gang

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 4

The Yak-9 can be seen as the Red 109G-6. The sheer number of them the USSR operated makes it an absolutely essential plane for the front, even if it isn't worlds away from its siblings

The 9T is definitely the prettier one, though. Oh, to have a Yak-9M...

• Upvote 1

I’m unlikely to get the Yak9 but will likely get the Yak-9T. I want to see what it can do with the 37mm on the front

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, =621=Samikatz said:

The Yak-9 can be seen as the Red 109G-6. The sheer number of them the USSR operated makes it an absolutely essential plane for the front, even if it isn't worlds away from its siblings

The 9T is definitely the prettier one, though. Oh, to have a Yak-9M...

Not really difficult since the -9T is being made. The -9M used the fuselage of the -9T with reinforced frame and canopy moved further back but with a host of small improvements that made the the standard '44 model. I don't think it was ever called -M officially though. Just Yak-9 Series xx .

25 minutes ago, Burdokva said:

Not really difficult since the -9T is being made. The -9M used the fuselage of the -9T with reinforced frame and canopy moved further back but with a host of small improvements that made the the standard '44 model. I don't think it was ever called -M officially though. Just Yak-9 Series xx .

It'd be a good way to get a headstart on late Eastern Front matchups, there's a few servers already running with the La-5FN and lendlease Spit IXe against the 190A-8 and the G-14, and a '44 Yak-9 would be fun to fly with and against those. Are there any other differences from the 9T outside of the 20mm?

For me it will depend on the Modifications.

If the Yak9 only models the base Yak 9 (Late 42-Early43 model) i will probably pass as it was produced in pretty small numbers (460 or so i think)

but if it includes modifications that turns it into additional models (Yak 9D for example) then i would be more likely to get it.

Otherwise i would probably wait for the Yak9T that saw use in larger numbers.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, =621=Samikatz said:

It'd be a good way to get a headstart on late Eastern Front matchups, there's a few servers already running with the La-5FN and lendlease Spit IXe against the 190A-8 and the G-14, and a '44 Yak-9 would be fun to fly with and against those. Are there any other differences from the 9T outside of the 20mm?

Externally, I think only the radio antenna mast. In terms of performance, quite a bit - it had the wing from the Yak-9D with extra tanks, reinforced construction with thicker plywood covering and reinforced wing-fuselage joint (these allowing higher dive speed), emergency jettison of the canopy, automated water cooler, pneumatic gun reload system, improved radio set and filters for the radirator intakes. Entered production in May 1944 as Yak-9 Series 25. It also got the M-105PF2 engine either in September or October 1944, this having 1350HP at takeoff and low altitude.

There was a PVO version with decreased fuel load, improved cockpit equipment for night and poor weather flying, radiocompass and landing light.

I'd say comparing it to a '109G-14 in that it was an attempt to standardize all minor production line improvements and a more powerful engine isn't too far off. 

33 minutes ago, Burdokva said:

*yak facts*

Oh thank you! That's a lot of great information. Sadly it basically confirms we won't get it as a mod for the 9T, it's obviously not in the scope of it. Where do you find such detailed information on Soviet airplanes? I've struggled to dig it up in the past

14 hours ago, Bjorrrrn said:

Hi all.

Thanks.

Hello,

Firstly wanted to say that any new aircraft contributes to make the whole sim environment richer and more accurate, increasing the amount of action and of scenario one can have, and that is of the utmost importance for a tactical ww2 simulator like IL2 GB. That is why i think it is very important that people order, if they can afford, any new aircraft in the sim. Many different aircraft brings life and joy to a sim, that explains the huge success of the original IL2.

In IL2 GB building a new aircraft is a lot more job, the kind of job i'm very serious about supporting: a world without a sim like IL2 GB won't be the end of the world, but a lot of fun and pleasure to learn about aircraft and history would dissapear without it and these boards.

That said i would also like to tell that  Yak9 and Yak1 are not really comparable to say 109 different subtypes. They are quite different airframes not in construction only but also visually. They have different wing shapes: to me the Yak9 has one of the most beautiful wings of all WW2 types. Check the link and see how (to me at least) the Yak9 has the most beautiful wing of all the Yak family ;)

http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Research/Yakovlev/FuelGauges/

An all metal modern version with the same similar wing shape:

Wartime footage min 30:39 :

Also the cockpit will look different from the Yak1B, AFAIK it will have a variometer, not present in the Yak1/7.

The wing being different, and of different contruction (metallic longerons) will make the airframe more rigid, that will also be noticeable in the roll axis.

It is really a different aircraft, definitely worth having! Anyway i need to have them all...

Edited by Caudron431Rafale
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Yes, it is a important and beter Yak figther. And yes the Yak 3 is even a beter all metal figther. But this is not the last module of the  Great battles, I hope or the last planes that are piblishet out of any module. :salute:

6 hours ago, ACG_Alexmarine said:

No, why bother with a Yak when you can have a La-5FN? :P

this post was sponsored by the Lavochkin Gang

I'm flying La-5FN in Kuban at the moment. Yes, it's very powerful, but it's less enjoyable to fly and shoot. The huge nose covers your enemy and those synchronized ShVAKs have low rate of fire. Yaks are more agile, fly smoother and it's easier to shoot from.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Burdokva said:

Externally, I think only the radio antenna mast. In terms of performance, quite a bit - it had the wing from the Yak-9D with extra tanks, reinforced construction with thicker plywood covering and reinforced wing-fuselage joint (these allowing higher dive speed), emergency jettison of the canopy, automated water cooler, pneumatic gun reload system, improved radio set and filters for the radirator intakes. Entered production in May 1944 as Yak-9 Series 25. It also got the M-105PF2 engine either in September or October 1944, this having 1350HP at takeoff and low altitude.

There was a PVO version with decreased fuel load, improved cockpit equipment for night and poor weather flying, radiocompass and landing light.

I'd say comparing it to a '109G-14 in that it was an attempt to standardize all minor production line improvements and a more powerful engine isn't too far off. 

Wiki: Further increase in power output, which was believed to have exhausted the potential of the M-105 design for greater performance. The "PF2" was installed in the Yak-3.

Well if it can dive better than the Yak 1b then I'm very nearly going to order the 9T. I couldn't believe how my plane was falling apart during a dive yesterday. 

Time for some monthly budgeting. 

18 hours ago, Finkeren said:

@OP: To me the Yak-9 is worth it, simply because of how important and iconic it is. A plane that was produced in those insane numbers, and served for such a long time pretty much unchanged, is a must-have. 

I have decided on the Yak 9T. 

This suits my flying style as with the A8 I only ever use the 30mms and I feel that the 9T would present a big enough difference from the 1B. 

55 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

And the ammunition the 9T carries is?

It has a centre line 37mm cannon.

The UB machine gun had 200-220 rounds.

The NS-37 had 30-32 rounds.

I don't know if there was a correlation between the different load.

32 and 200 or 30 and 220 ? Maybe the max was possible with the both weapons at the same time ?

On 2/2/2020 at 2:17 PM, ShamrockOneFive said:

Bf109F-4 versus G-2 where the differences are subtle

I dont think those differences are subtle lol. Maybe between G2 and G4 yes, imo.

With the Yak-9T Cannon you will find however that it is much easier to Aim than the German 30mm or the P-39s 37mm due to the Muzzle Velocity being 50% higher than the other Cannons. It is probably better compared to Mk103 Cannons.

Meaning you will probably have to add less Lead than with many Rifle Calibre Guns.

Edited by 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann
  • Upvote 1

On 2/2/2020 at 9:31 AM, cardboard_killer said:

Yes, and they tended to build just a couple of huge factories. Look at the number of sherman variants there were compared to T-34s, or the number of PzIV variants. And within the German factories, there were variants and kits etc, too.

In any case, if the Yak-9 is "just" a longer Yak-1b, then the Bf-109K is "just" a smoother Bf-109G14. Etc. etc. etc.

On the M4, i dont know how many variants were a thing (i have yet to look it up thoroughly) but the number of variants does depend heavily on what changes one considers to be enough to make something a new "variant." For the most part, if you count only factory-produced configurations, ignore small changes which were made to adjust production issues/ address small problems (adjusting the turret castings to eliminate the thin armor near the gunner) and only count a variant when there's some change which is significant to the overall function of the vehicle, there's a crap ton. 

First off you had the hulls:

1. M4
  2. M4 Composite
  3. M4 Large Hatch
  4. M4A1
  5. M4A1 Large Hatch
  6. M4A2
  7. M4A2 Large Hatch
  8. M4A3
  9. M4A3 Large Hatch
  10. M4A4

Then you had the turrets: 

1. D50878 (75/105)
  2. D78461 (75/105)
  3. D82081 (76/105)

And then Gun mounts/mantlets:

1. M34 (75mm)
  2. M34A1 (75mm)
  3. M52 (105mm)
  4. M62 (76mm)

There was the gun:

1. 75mm M3
  2. 76mm M1
  3. 105mm 

Ammo Stowage: 

1. standard
  2. "wet"

And suspension:

1. VVSS
  2. HVSS

Things get more complex since one cannot freely make permutations of the M4 using all of the above. As an example, any tank with a 76mm gun should have also gotten the M62 mantlet, wet stowage, and the D82081 turret. 

4 minutes ago, Kataphrakt said:

On the M4

...And then the British variants, and the Israeli modifications, and the D-Day variants, and...

• Upvote 2