Sign in to follow this  
Hellequin13

Excessive incapacitation of wounded pilot

Every. Single. Time.

There seems to be no degree of wound that does not result in several seconds (5 to 15 based on my experiences) of complete red out and inability to do anything but wait it out (hoping you come out of it before you are dead). There appears to be no lesser effect, no minor wound with limited loss of control/vision. No progression.  Just instantaneous and prolonged red out. Realism aside (and it stretches plausibility), from a game play perspective, rendering a player incapable of any control over their situation for so long a duration, upon the first hit, seems a poor design choice. This cannot be as intended.

Am I just really unlucky when it comes to taking pilot damage? Are others experiencing the same? There seems to be no other complaints, but I can't be the only one.

In Perspective?

I look at it this way: This red out and loss of consciousness is a good thing ... The alternative being a PK / Black screen!

Consider yourself lucky ... at least you got a chance to wake up in time, and live!

same experience here.

i figure i just caught a 20-30mm round, and didn't die... it ought to hurt.

I mostly fly Sturmoviks and I'm almost never one-shot in them, even with the canopy open (although it does clearly provide protection when closed). I'm frequently wounded, but I think I've only been killed or KO'd midair in a sturmovik once, by flak. There's definitely some level of minor wounds simulated.

When I'm killed or KO'd flying fighters, it's usually either a high deflection shot through the canopy, or an unlucky shot from a gunner through the front glass. I can recall many occasions where I was wounded by fire from my six and continued flying.

Maybe you're flying mostly against late-war planes with greater firepower?

I do think the KO effect is a tad weird. I wouldn't be sad to see it replaced with a straight up pilot kill.

• Sad 1

I primarily fly kites in FC, so the rounds are neither big nor explosive. It is odd that, since the physiology update, I have only seen the incapacitating wounds, whereas before, I saw varying degrees in the level of wound effects. Sounds like I just am unlucky in this regard.

That being said, I do wish the effect was toned down; those prolonged bouts, plunged into near blindness (in VR no less) with nothing to do but wait it out, are rather frustrating. Considering the duration is typically long enough to allow my attacker to kill me, I think I would prefer it just being a PK too.

It sounds like it's the lack of armor, then. When I take gunfire to the back, most of the rounds are hitting the back armor to no effect, and I guess the wounds are either to extremities, or are from shells that miss the plate but explode near the pilot.

The rounds you're getting hit with aren't explosive or large by WWII standards, but they are still full-power rifle rounds. A hit to the torso should be immediately incapacitating or fatal.

I'd like to know whether or not the pilot damage is localized to body parts or a 1-part hitbox.  I could imagine a head wound that causes a knockout and a possible wake up or a complete knockout being feasible, but I couldn't imagine a limb wound doing the same.  I could imagine a limb wound causing a few seconds of initial "pain haze" and confusion + a lasting "tint" to the screen to indicate a wound though.  I think it may be a drawback of not having a first-person pilot model where you could look and see what part of the body has been hit.  

For me, it's a bit of a catch 22.  I don't necessarily think that blood/gore is a needed addition and a pilot body can block view of certain instruments (like floorboard fuel gauges).  The drawback is that it's near-impossible to tell where the wound is and just how bad it is.