BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part 62

Hello everyone!

Today we've decided to answer some of the most topical questions that you ask us on the forums. But now some important news about early access: please, uninstall the game completely before you update it later today. Then download the fresh client version from your profile page and install it again. Please, do not download the game and do not update before we give a green light.. Note, that you can back-up the "input" folder and use it in the updated game version, if you want to keep your personal control settings.

Now - questions and answers, and a couple of important and interesting announcements bellow them.

Read more

Also today we invite you to join us in developing unlockable content for the game. I'm speaking about actual part in creating it. As you know, there are at least 10 extra skins per each plane that will be added as unlockables. Obviously, there are dozens of candidates but we want to have only the most remarkable, the most recognizable ones.  So we suggest you to pick those skins that you'd love to see in the game.

Use internet, books, albums and any other sources and references that can provide you info about our planes - and keep in mind that only our planes with their specific series count.

What is important:

- open a topic about a plane that is announced to be in BOS

- find a picture of the skin you like and that you want to be added

- post the picture (-s)

What is NOT important:

- the skin you choose may have not been fighting the Battle of Stalingrad

- it may be some ace's plane with its unique markings and paint scheme

- it may be any nation's squadron plane (Polish, French, Italian, etc.)

In a few weeks we'll pick the skins that are good for the game. We are counting on you, pilot! Let's bring only the best to our game.

LaGG-3 series 29

Bf 109 F-4

IL-2 AM-38 (in 1942)

Ju 87 D-3

Yak-1 series 69

Bf 109 G-2

Pe-2 series 87 and 110

He 111 H-6

La-5 series 8

Fw 190 A-3

And the second announcement for today - adding Bf 109 G-2 is scheduled for the next early access session. And check out these unlocks that will be available for the fighter.

bf109g2_en.png

Full news

You can ask new questions in this thread

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

gah.. excellent news.. gotta love fridays

edit.. but i have to say, even though almost everything is grewt news, the possibility to have personal number to id friends... seems to me now be be far from possible,, and that troubles me... a great deal.

Edited by F19_Klunk
  • Upvote 2

109G2 for next week? I'm very surprised, have we even seen a video of it yet? Or do you mean next stage of early access (as in maybe a few weeks from now)? Either way, it should make a lot happy, including me.

109G2 for next week? I'm very surprised, have we even seen a video of it yet?

Yes, next week. And we'll make a live stream I think. On Wednesday.

is updated client ready for download or should we wait for a "go ahead"?

It's not ready yet, please, wait until we give you green light.
  • Upvote 1

gah.. excellent news.. gotta love fridays

edit.. but i have to say, even though almost everything is grewt news, the possibility to have personal number to id friends... seems to me now be be far from possible,, and that troubles me... a great deal.

Klunk i wouldn't worry about personal numbers in BOS as there is always the option of custom skins, thats how it works in ROF anyway.

Btw what do we get for tonights session?

Edited by Azref

Thanks for this, the 62nd update and also for answers to some big questions from the community.

I was quite surprised to read about the skinning news. It'd be a shame for many people if they can't use their own skins in MP. Not so much for me as I rarely venture online.

So if we can't use them for the Campaign, nor Multiplayer, what does that leave us with? QMB and...? I had also really been hoping for the decal option like in Il2 to flesh out squadrons with unique aircraft numbers.

Oh well. No biggie.

• Upvote 2

The Fw-190 suggestion forum is blocked and in Russian. Would it be possible to make an English one? 

Thanks.

The Fw-190 suggestion forum is blocked and in Russian. Would it be possible to make an English one?

Sorry, I don't know what you are talking about. Links would be appreciated.

It'll be nice to have the other 109 next week.

The bit that upsets me is a reinstall, as I only have four Gig left for this month.

I'll probably wait until next month now. Otherwise, good answers on the blog.

Will there be "official" community skins that are approved by the devs for use online, similar to RoF? This is how squads, for example, could have their sins in the game when flying MP. They are reviewed and approved and available as separate skin packs. This is also how additional historical skins could be added.

It'll be nice to have the other 109 next week.

The bit that upsets me is a reinstall, as I only have four Gig left for this month.

I'll probably wait until next month now. Otherwise, good answers on the blog.

Sorry for you !

We're lucky to have no download limitation here in France

• Upvote 1

So what's new with this update? Bug fix and improvements on existing aircraft?

Edited by resmania

109G2 for next week so we'll finally have the Yak1 in MP!

Ppl wil will make the MP servers overflow :cool:

Finally, big thx guys!

Thanks.

All links fixed, thank you.

Nice to see a lot of questions answered in this update. It looked like the focus was to tell people in case they forgot that yes, a 20mm hit in the right spot will ruin your day :lol: 

I was hoping to hear something about getting the free camera enabled though...  :(

Your links to the skins thread go to the russian forum. ;)

My bad, thanks for the heads up. Fixed

Not much of new content, only improved clouds.

• Upvote 2

Wont have time to fly anyway, have to reinstall and browse for skins or didn't you read the update to the end ;)

Does it mean that there will be no markings or numbers on planes in campaigns? Think it is one weak point not to have it, as it is in RoF.

If we must reinstall the game, do we have to reset all our control inputs or can we use our existing ones?

Save the contents of your input folder outside of the sim, after uninstalling and installing the new version, copy the contents you saved back into the input folder.

If we must reinstall the game, do we have to reset all our control inputs or can we use our existing ones?

Old input folder will be compatible with the new version. Just make a back up for it not to loose it after uninstallation.

Thank you for the news, curious about improved clouds. Truth be told, I was hoping for the HE 111 ...

One question: I did many track recordings the last days. Will it be possible to use them after new complete game reinstall, if I backup the files like I do with input files?

5) When will we have the chance to make skins for aircraft? Personal markings and numbers? Kill markings on aircraft?

Making paint schemes for planes in IL2BOS is a quite complex process. Those who have experience in creating skins for ROF aircrafts know that there are various materials used in planes’ structure and making a proper camo is a sign of a true master. There won’t be any ingame editor, we have no time for it. Nevertheless it will be possible to add your own skins, and we’ll provide you with necessary tools for it. You’ll be free to create anything for your offline missions. Neither campaign nor multiplayer will be playable with custom made skins. Because, firstly, you may draw a transparent plane and gain unfair advantage, and secondly, your creative ideas may be offensive to other players in our worldwide community. Further details about user made skins will be revealed later, before the launch.

8) How will numbers and emblems be put on the planes: as entire skins (RoF) or like decals (1946; CloD)?

Like it’s in RoF.

That's really disappointing! :(

If there isn't a possibility to put markings (numbers) on a plane, than the game is not usable for multiplayer squadron flying! How shall we identify each other if everyone has the same skin and markings? And not it's not a solution if, for example, Pilot 1 chooses the green (summer) paint schema with the yellow 8 on it and Pilot 2 chooses the white (winter) schema with a black 2 on it.

• Upvote 7

Old input folder will be compatible with the new version. Just make a back up for it not to loose it after uninstallation.

Phew! That'll save me some time. Thanks Zak!

"If we must reinstall the game, do we have to reset all our control inputs or can we use our existing ones?"

save your input  folder   as told in  the original post ....

Edited by 13Nrv

no online skins because one or two will use transparency skins online ...????   is it a joke....????????? 

I suppose skins pack  made free by talented  skinners will be sold as dlc ?

if yes --->Grrrrr !!!

No, it's only the RoF system :

Only skins approved by the devs and by vote will be avalaible online.

It is not so bad. Even squad skins are usually quickly approved.

no online skins because one or two will use transparency skins online ...????   is it a joke....????????? 

I suppose skins pack  made free by talented  skinners will be sold as dlc ?

if yes --->Grrrrr !!!

In the RoF system users vote on custom made skins before they are implemented for public use, so that's a good vetting process to eliminate skins that push the limits of what's acceptable. I highly doubt they would start charging for skins as doing so would piss off a lot of people.

Edited by SYN_Requiem

Thanks for the update. I have to say though. The skins/markings area is worse than I thought.

So basically we have absolute zero options to identify squad is or friends online. No customs skins allowed online and no reliable way to identify planes (no decals or numbers). Same in offline career.

This is a huge step back.

Thanks for the update. I have to say though. The skins/markings area is worse than I thought.

So basically we have absolute zero options to identify squad is or friends online. No customs skins allowed online and no reliable way to identify planes (no decals or numbers). Same in offline career.

This is a huge step back.

No, it won't...

You will have your squad skins...

See above.

"

It is not so bad. Even squad skins are usually quickly approved."

*OK *   i ve  been a little warm .....

It is not so bad. Even squad skins are usually quickly approved.

Read it again. It won't be like I rof, with user made skins. For online and career, we'll have only a few skins per plane, made by the devs, and that's it. Hint. War thunder model. No it's actually worse. In war thunder you can add some personal texture on the plane for online.

In BOS we'll have nothing to identify our friends and squadies.

You’ll be free to create anything for your offline missions. Neither campaign nor multiplayer will be playable with custom made skins. Because, firstly, you may draw a transparent plane and gain unfair advantage, and secondly, your creative ideas may be offensive to other players in our worldwide community.

Edited by Jaws2002