SYN_Vander

Utility to set damage of a group of blocks

Here is a little utility to destroy all blocks (so not bridges) within a group. You can set destruction levels: 0% - 100% with increments of 10%

It will ignore any blocks that already have damage defined. If you want to change those too, make sure you delete the damage settings in the editor first (step 2).

Suggested Workflow:

1) Select a group of blocks in your scenery you want to destroy (may also contain sub groups)

2) Optional: Delete all damage already applied to the blocks

3) Export the collection of blocks or the whole group to a .Group file (File->Save selection to file...)

5) Run the utility and follow the instructions.

6) Import the new group in your mission and delete the old selection (or other way around if you have a backup :) )

Should save you a lot of work when you want to set damage beforehand.

**** updated to v1.3 ****

image.png.de22af8f3f2dbe064512230da8474982.png

I have added new functionality and so renamed the utility to IL2ModifyGroup. It is now also possible to change the durability values of blocks (static blocks + bridges are checked).

To do so you need a csv file with the values as provide by the devs here:

This version replaces the previous v12, so just delete that one and yuse this one instead

Download the new version here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ASZLA50OSyJuRY7rAy93sKPs-32tTIko/view?usp=sharing

DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for any loss of work if this utility has some bugs. ALWAYS back up your files before any (bulk)edit!

Edited by SYN_Vander
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I just used it to destroy all Arras map cities to 66% damage in less than 5 minutes, Its perfect! Thanks Vander

Haash

Yep, no need to poke along in some slow Sopwith around Arras, and dropping easter eggs allover. This is one fine example of God Mode ....

Hi Vander, 

Thank you very much for this time saving tool. 

No more need to use notepad++ or spend endless click orgies in the ME.

I try to look not to be to greedy, but can you add another step of derstruction level between 66% and 100%, if its not too much work. 

I'm asking because most german citys included in the BoBp scenario area were damaged around 80 - 95% at this time frame.(which looks noticable different to 66 or 100)

It will be only a "nice to have" option.

And regardless if you will implent more options or not i have to say it again:

Thank you very much for your great work.

2 hours ago, SYN_Vander said:

Sure.

Wow, impressive!

Thank you very much!

Thank you Vander just discovered your nifty little tool to help speed up one of the most daunting tasks in creating a believable scenery...

I have been using the 66% option and just restoring churches to 0 damage and it looks great. Thanks again Vander, very helpful.

Vander, I don't know how to thank you for this...but THANK YOU.

Thank you Vander. 😀

Really nice, thank you!

Posted (edited)
On 1/29/2020 at 10:25 PM, SYN_Vander said:

Here is a little utility to destroy all blocks (so not bridges) within a group. You can set destruction levels: 0% - 100% with increments of 10%

It will ignore any blocks that already have damage defined. If you want to change those too, make sure you delete the damage settings in the editor first (step 2).

Suggested Workflow:

1) Select a group of blocks in your scenery you want to destroy (may also contain sub groups) select XX%  and  SELECT THE Arras_ALL.Group

2) Optional: Delete all damage already applied to the blocks  ?????? I see no selection for that in this v1.2 software

3) Export the collection of blocks or the whole group to a .Group file (File->Save selection to file...)  ehhh??????

5) Run the utility and follow the instructions. click on destroy and then recieve the popup about "new file has been ceated" / Indeed a new group has been created in the Templete map "Arras_ALL_destroyed.Group"

6) Import the new group in your mission and delete the old selection (or other way around if you have a backup :) )  Should I now open the mission with the mission generator?????

Should save you a lot of work when you want to set damage beforehand.

**** updated to v1.2 ****

IL2DestroyGroup_v12.zip 7.94 MB · 19 downloads

Sorry bid confusing here, I have my working method write down in blue, but not knowing if this is right.

Edited by Dutch2

1 hour ago, Dutch2 said:

Sorry bid confusing here, I have my working method write down in blue, but not knowing if this is right.

I guess this tool is for those that know how to use the mission editor. I'll try to explain:

1) With group I mean a group of objects in the mission, not a file. In the mission editor you can group/ungroup objects together.  Usually you will group all scenery objects together in one group or the mission gets very "crowded".

2) No, you do this in the mission editor. You select all the objects then under properties you can click "Delete All" under the "Damage" section.

3) Select the group by clicking on it and then right mouseclick -> Save selection to file.

6) So now go back again in the mission editor. From "File" -> " Import from file" and you will import the group with the destroyed objects. But you need to delete the old group.

Again, this makes more sense if you have some experience with the mission editor.

Posted (edited)

Your mod is only for dedicated missions, I did found something that’s not selective and a bit rigorously but does have the same effects on the ARRAS map in QM, campaign, PWCG and I think even in the maybe future FC career mode. 

Edited by Dutch2

SYN_Vander,

This may sound strange, but where do you place your utility?  What folder in the editor is it to be found or do you use it from the desktop?  Sorry about the question, but I'm not a computer guy, but I love creating missions and I'd like to place damaged equipment around captured airfields. Thanking you in advance.

Falcon

Does using the destroyed blocks create a bigger msnbin file and/or more load on the dserver?

Posted (edited)

I have added new functionality and so renamed the utility to IL2ModifyGroup. It is now also possible to change the durability values of blocks (static blocks + bridges are checked).

See first post for download link.

On 5/7/2020 at 7:35 AM, LLv34_Temuri said:

Does using the destroyed blocks create a bigger msnbin file and/or more load on the dserver?

It creates a bigger .mission file for sure, but I think the increase for .msbin shouldn't be so big. Test and see.

On 5/6/2020 at 8:25 PM, Falcon41 said:

SYN_Vander,

This may sound strange, but where do you place your utility?  What folder in the editor is it to be found or do you use it from the desktop?  Sorry about the question, but I'm not a computer guy, but I love creating missions and I'd like to place damaged equipment around captured airfields. Thanking you in advance.

Falcon

Hi Falcon,

This is a standalone utility. You can place it anywhere, fi on your desktop. There is no install, no config files. If you want to get rid of it, just delete it :)

Edited by SYN_Vander

7 hours ago, SYN_Vander said:

It creates a bigger .mission file for sure, but I think the increase for .msbin shouldn't be so big. Test and see.

Tested. Can’t use for the whole scenery, as it increases the msnbin file size by 2MB. Need to check if I would apply only to some smaller part of the scenery.

Yeah, also check what part of the scenery is actually used. Rhineland in particular has a huge (Static) object count.

2 hours ago, SYN_Vander said:

Yeah, also check what part of the scenery is actually used.

We have the dynamic campaign going on, so we'd perhaps need to chop the scenery into smaller chunks based on the area where the battle currently is. Needs some coding though.

1 hour ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

We have the dynamic campaign going on, so we'd perhaps need to chop the scenery into smaller chunks based on the area where the battle currently is. Needs some coding though.

in my mission generator I import the total template and then delete all objects outside an area defined by 4 border corner icons which defines the battle area. You can also choose a radius around a central point on the map.

Edited by SYN_Vander

2 minutes ago, SYN_Vander said:

in my mission generator I import the total template and then delete all objects outside an area defined by 4 border corner icons which defines the battle area. You can also choose a radius around a central point on the map.

Ah, nice.