Sign in to follow this  
Nic727

Engine management guide for planes?

Hi,

Where can I find guides about engine management for each planes like :

- What RPM to use at what altitude?

- How much do you need to open oil or water radiator?

- etc.

I think I'm good with the LaGG-3 which is kind of easy and the BF109 where everything is automatic, but I have lot of difficulty with the P47 or other more complicated planes.

Thank you

https://www.youtube.com/user/RequiemBoS

Here's a good place to start.  The "learn to fly planeX" videos lay out all the gauges/cockpit features and max non-damaging-to-engine operation specs.  Flying optimally based on the info is however, up to you.  Max Continuous mode isn't always the best settings depending on the plane and weather conditions.  It just tells you how hard you can push before you go into combat power or, for planes without combat mode, what I like to call "wear and tear" mode.   

Somewhere around here on the forum, somebody did make printout sheets for some of the planes.  I don't know if there are any BoBp planes detailed though.  

Checking the Specs tab when in the in-game map (O key) and looking for "max continuous" settings is a good place to start. 

Oil and water temps for most Russian planes are pretty universal.  Once you know what the gauges look like, you'll also see that they are designed to have the optimal temp ranges be easily readable.  

The P-47 is a bit trickier, but not much.  You do want to stay in the correct temp ranges though or you will lose a lot of horsepower. (At least that is how it was IRL. If modeled, I don't know.)

I don't know if that applies to other planes as well, but I'd assume too-cold or too-hot settings have some effect.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

As Mobile already pointed out, go check out Requiem's youtube channel, it has tons of information.

Here's another tutorial from our friend Col Ninny:

Check out the rest of his channel out too.

You may also want to look at Sherif Sim Shacks channel, it has some vids on particular planes he flies:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEOoU9PxkXEmsFdzrbvx37A

and Central has very useful information too:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg6U2wqGyO2APRoFJwOoztA

Have a nice day.

:salute:

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mobile_BBQ said:

https://www.youtube.com/user/RequiemBoS

Here's a good place to start.  The "learn to fly planeX" videos lay out all the gauges/cockpit features and max non-damaging-to-engine operation specs.  Flying optimally based on the info is however, up to you.  Max Continuous mode isn't always the best settings depending on the plane and weather conditions.  It just tells you how hard you can push before you go into combat power or, for planes without combat mode, what I like to call "wear and tear" mode.   

Somewhere around here on the forum, somebody did make printout sheets for some of the planes.  I don't know if there are any BoBp planes detailed though.  

Checking the Specs tab when in the in-game map (O key) and looking for "max continuous" settings is a good place to start. 

Oil and water temps for most Russian planes are pretty universal.  Once you know what the gauges look like, you'll also see that they are designed to have the optimal temp ranges be easily readable.  

The P-47 is a bit trickier, but not much.  You do want to stay in the correct temp ranges though or you will lose a lot of horsepower. (At least that is how it was IRL. If modeled, I don't know.)

I don't know if that applies to other planes as well, but I'd assume too-cold or too-hot settings have some effect.  

The only thing I'd add additionally to Mobile's excellent advice here, is to take up a plane in a quick mission, put the HUD instrument panel on in difficulty settings, (it gives you a digital readout of speed in the bottom left corner of the screen) and just experiment. Use the time advance function ([ and ]) and auto level, and you'll quickly see the effects that your controls have on temperature and speed.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1