[Soto Cinematics] 'The Big Show' series by Pierre Clostermann

Lemsip

So I have decided to use Pierre Clostermann's book and create separate short cinematic videos based on content from various chapters. I hope to recreate the missions he flew to the best of my ability and as historically accurately as possible. I eagerly await the Normandy map so I can cover the Spitfire stories from the book :).

If you like this series, please see my other series covering Roald Dahl's book 'Going Solo': 

Lemsip

Here is the playlist that has my videos in chronological order, ie from 1943 to 1945 as in the book.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIcVZtqUU_BX-85mdzfhRbW1j5tTH341I

Trailer added 15 May 2020

The Munsterland business added 22 May 2020

Tussle in the stratosphere added 30 March 2020

We shoot up Saint-André added 24 January 2020

Tempest vs Messerschmitt added 9 July 2020

Tempest v. Focke Wulf added 29 July 2020

A day like the others added 18 February 2020

Train busting added 15 July 2020

The Rhine added 18 November 2020

Clouds, snow and Focke-Wulfs added 2 May 2021

Flames at dusk added 27 January 2020

'A lesson from an expert' added 8 January 2021

Edited by Lemsip
  • Like 29
  • Upvote 5

Nice video.

In RL that kind of landing probably best made in the grass alongside the runway.

I flew for awhile a 1956 Super Cub with bad brakes.

I'd just land alongside the runway to let the grass drag me to a stop.

I also, decades ago, witnessed the test flight of the  F-16 in Texas, in which the gear didn't come down.

In a cool bit of piloting, the pilot put it on the grass next to the runway. Almost no damage.

Grass is good.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2020 at 2:33 AM, J5_Spyboy said:

Brings the book to life, well done. Do some more please. Salute

Thanks!

On 2/1/2020 at 7:13 AM, Flying_Colander said:

I tuned in to see the next episode. Keep up the good work. Maybe next week...

I plan to make another one within the next week or so. They take a bit of effort to make so I took a break for a while.

15 hours ago, LeLv30_Redwing said:

I appreciate a fellow filmmaker with an original idea, keep 'em coming!

Thankyou, I will continue without a doubt.

• Thanks 1

Well done Lemsip, keep them coming. They were two of my favourite Chapters in the Pierre Closterman's  book 'The Big Show'. "We shoot up Saint-Andre" was a classic mission with a decision made by two wild French RAF pilots to visit one of their original home bases now occupied by the Luftwaffe - they got more than they bargained for!

"Flames in the Dusk" was another great chapter which you have really nailed, the weather at the time was appalling.

I am currently trying very hard to learn how to use the Mission builder and re-create some of 'The Big Show' missions. Just a couple of questions - 1. Do you have to recreate the exact mission to successfully video it? 2. I noticed you had another Spitfire skin representing Jacques Spitfire, plus extra Tempest skins. Did you make these, if so I would like to get some copies with your permission.

DFLion

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DFLion said:

Well done Lemsip, keep them coming. They were two of my favourite Chapters in the Pierre Closterman's  book 'The Big Show'. "We shoot up Saint-Andre" was a classic mission with a decision made by two wild French RAF pilots to visit one of their original home bases now occupied by the Luftwaffe - they got more than they bargained for!

"Flames in the Dusk" was another great chapter which you have really nailed, the weather at the time was appalling.

I am currently trying very hard to learn how to use the Mission builder and re-create some of 'The Big Show' missions. Just a couple of questions - 1. Do you have to recreate the exact mission to successfully video it? 2. I noticed you had another Spitfire skin representing Jacques Spitfire, plus extra Tempest skins. Did you make these, if so I would like to get some copies with your permission.

DFLion

Firstly, thanks very much Im glad you enjoy my work.

1. My videos usually consist of 4 or 5 missions that centre around each section of the video. For example, the takeoff is created in ME then I disable the takeoff commands and just create the dogfight scene in another part of the map and so on. It is therefore easier to have multiple 'retrys' of a scene if it isnt to my liking cause I dont have to refly an entire mission.

2. The squadron markings I have have downloaded from the forum and Ill link them here within the next day or so as Im not home at the moment.

On 2/14/2020 at 4:07 PM, DFLion said:

DFLion

So it looks like the 3SQN Tempest skins have been deleted, and they were provided to me individually so I don't think I can get them for you. However, I was able to find to the 602SQN skins here.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0ddf78nica5phj5/SpitfireMkIXe_4k-602_A_v101.zip/file

New trailer at top of original post! 'The Musterland Buisness' is next to come.

Edited by Lemsip
  • Like 2

New video added, 'The Munsterland Business'. It's a marked upgrade in the quality of these videos. Expect the same in future episodes.

• Like 1

LeLv30_Redwing

Thanks, enjoyed watching that. Takes a lot of work to do these!

• Like 1

Raptorattacker
9 hours ago, Lemsip said:

'The Munsterland Business'

Brilliant! A great Saturday morning watch!!

Rap

:popcorm:

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, LeLv30_Redwing said:

Thanks, enjoyed watching that. Takes a lot of work to do these!

Yes, I'm sure you would know with your series! Love the dialogue in your episodes, I hope to do that too someday.

LeLv30_Redwing

I do know and that's one more reason to appreciate what you're creating 😉

• Thanks 1

very dramatic series, it perfectly transfers the chaos ww2 pilots go through. very much enjoyed watching. please go on! 

Edited by Absolut
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

New video released! 'Tempest v. Focke-Wulf', this mission took place only days after Operation Bodenplatte.

Lemsip,

Great series.  Loved the way you adapted the descriptions in the book to the videos.  Keep up the good work.

Falcon

On 7/31/2020 at 5:12 PM, Tundra_ said:

Great to watch Lemsip, currently reading the book 😀

On 8/1/2020 at 2:46 AM, Falcon41 said:

Lemsip,

Great series.  Loved the way you adapted the descriptions in the book to the videos.  Keep up the good work.

Falcon

Thanks guys, I think it adds a lot to have read the book and then watch a film type medium. It adds some more appreciation of the danger those men went through.

1 hour ago, StG77_Darbzy said:

Great videos! Keep it up!

44 minutes ago, Furni said:

These are great videos Lemsip , I read the book sometime ago and I’m now reading it again after seeing your videos - keep them coming. 😀

Thanks! Ill keep making them as long as there's material from the book

• Upvote 1

New video released! 'The Rhine' takes place the day of Operation Varsity Plunder. Enjoy! 

P.S. check out the new video thumbnails, looks much better now :)

Edited by Lemsip

Clostermann's famous encounter with what was most likely Hans Dortenmann is shown in my new episode 'A lesson from an expert' (check OP). After a bit of a hiatus due to my old PC dying, Im back! Hope you like the better performance, enjoy!

Lemsip

• 2 months later...

THE BIG SHOW  is considered by many as ( one of  ) the best video here... So I do , and I watched them many time.

Being a fan of CLOCLO since my early years, I always hope to see more and that you receive what your works deserves  !

The enclosed pictures may perhaps help you to extend to another period _with help from ARMA III_

This time : North Africa 1955-56 where Closterman, retired and Member of Parliament served one year voluntarily  with 4 stripes  (Commandant) under orders of Colonels who where junior to him and much less decorated...

The cover of the book is misleading as he didn't piloted fighters but observation and advanced Command Post !

closter 1955.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 3/29/2021 at 5:15 AM, Bonnot said:

THE BIG SHOW  is considered by many as ( one of  ) the best video here... So I do , and I watched them many time.

Being a fan of CLOCLO since my early years, I always hope to see more and that you receive what your works deserves  !

The enclosed pictures may perhaps help you to extend to another period _with help from ARMA III_

This time : North Africa 1955-56 where Closterman, retired and Member of Parliament served one year voluntarily  with 4 stripes  (Commandant) under orders of Colonels who where junior to him and much less decorated...

Im intersted Bonnot, but I dont know how I would do it even with ARMA III?

If you are interested the solutions will probably arise from different ways ???

I don't know your techs for realizing your films but from what I saw, I think of many possibilities _not specially for AFN....

Clostermann's own voice on your "Big Show" vids  for instance, but do you understand french  ?

Hope to help

10 hours ago, Bonnot said:

If you are interested the solutions will probably arise from different ways ???

I don't know your techs for realizing your films but from what I saw, I think of many possibilities _not specially for AFN....

Clostermann's own voice on your "Big Show" vids  for instance, but do you understand french  ?

Hope to help

I know enough to understand a lot of what he says in his audio records. However, before making any plans for any new series, I will be finishing The Big Show first. Then Ill be able to think of other things.

ZachariasX
On 1/8/2021 at 1:08 AM, Lemsip said:

Clostermann's famous encounter with what was most likely Hans Dortenmann is shown in my new episode 'A lesson from an expert' (check OP). After a bit of a hiatus due to my old PC dying, Im back! Hope you like the better performance, enjoy!

Lemsip

I absolutely love your series, they are engaging as the bookis! great work!

But as a big fan of Clostermanns book(s), I should point out Georges-Eric Coisne's work as well, covering Clostermanns operational life in detail by matching his logbook to the squadrons ORBs. He also goes into detail about how and when Clostermann started writing "The Big Show".

There are some important take aways from that book. Some examples:

Clostemann was never shot down during his operational career. He was damaged on April 20th, flying his JF-E (NV944). He got two Fw-190 confirmed destroyed on his second mission of the day, lqsting from 19:30 to 21:05. The aircraft was classified "Ac" (serious repairs needed that can't be done by the base personnel), the other two being damaged cathegory "B" (and pilots uninjured) and was in service before himself (the plane was operational again after 4 days), while he himself was not flying for another week. He would resume flying May 2nd. In was during this idle time, where the paperwork of the wing was conveniantly thrown on his desk, making him "acting wing commander flying, unpaid, temporary". This course of events is also consistent with other accounts. So he was honest about commanding 122 Wing, as circumstancial as events may have been.

In his book, he recounts being injured in the leg by American AAA on May 24th, making a belly landing in Volkel. In his 1948 edition, he estimated his period of reconvalescence between to lat until April 1st. In reality he wold fly two mission the next day.

That Clostermann used some artistic freedom to make a writup where he would have been shot down is for instance the episode on May 13, 1943, wher he was supposedly shot down by a 109 over the Channel. This episode is in some editions, and not in others. The book differs considerably among the different editions as well as for which episodes are featured. In my German 1948 edition, the only references of him being shot down (not counting his belly landing) is in the legend of a photo of a (shot down) Fw-190D9, that one being "the same type as the one that would defeat Closermann over lake Dümmer". I always found this confusing as there was nothing in the book about that. Now it is clear that these were captions taken from other editions.

Some episodes match the ORBs and the combat reports rather closely and in other episodes, he simply puts himself (and Jaques Remlinger at times) in the cockpit of some of his squadron mates that flew said mission. A prominent exampe is the "fight in the stratosphere", where he puts himself and remlinger in the Cockpit of P/O Ian Blair and F/L Bennet, intercepting a recon 109.

Also the supposed mission over Remagen on March 6th would most likely not have taken place at all like that, as it is in the American sector and 2TAF would not operate there. He flew a "cannon test" mission (these are free roaming missions where the pilot could test his cannons in any way that had something at least remotely German as a target), but it is unlikely that he ventured there.

Taken together, I'd be careful in "who Clostermann might have had a fight with" in any specific episode of the book, despite most missions as such being recounted in a way they could have happened as such.

• Thanks 1

• Lemsip changed the title to [Soto Cinematics] 'The Big Show' series by Pierre Clostermann