S!

Hope fits in here as it was kind of a benchmark..I had a chance to test the Varjo PRO-2 VR headset over the weekend at annual Finnish Virtualpilots meeting called the Urban Blitz. A big thank you goes to Varjo for sending 2 of their employees to the meeting with 3 sets of their VR gear. Awesome guys and hopefully they enjoyed their stay! Was great meeting such talented guys working in the world of VR.

I was one of the lucky to have a set installed on my rig. IT met the requirements very well. And the results were nothing short of spectacular. The Varjo set supports DCS out of the box and it shows. Good performance, did not have to dial down a thing, only disabled AA as it was not needed. IL-2 is not supported yet out of the box, but it worked using OpenVR. Again only dialed down AA to none and Terrain detail to 3X and Distance to 100km, Shadows to Medium. Had a solid 60fps at all times in IL-2. Pretty good for a VR set not even having any optimisations to the title. 

A bit of the experience. I flew IL-2 both offline and online using the set. Never had it looked so great to taxi and take off with a group of other players. The immersion shot through the roof! Or seeing a wingman next to your plane. The sensation of depth is awesome. Shooting was easier after a bit of adjusting to it as you could actually see how the rounds went in 3D. Sense of speed at low altitude looked great. Landing and take off were totally different now with VR. And best of all, texts and gauges in cockpit were crisp. And I mean really crisp, fully readable without leaning in or anything. There were some issues with IL-2 at it is not an officially supported title, but overall the VR worked very well.

In DCS the support showed. Smooth operation in and out. Again without tinkering much with settings, just disabled AA. Was really amazing to engage a formation of B17´s and then see the tracers heading your way. Really wanted to duck behind the big engine! VR really changed the game to something different, as with IL-2. Setup was easy as 1,2,3 due the support out of the box. A really thrilling experience. Not to forget the sharp graphics and smooth operation.

We had a set of Pimax 5K as comparison against the Varjo Pro-2. Varjo won hands down in graphical quality, there was no contest at all. Tested on DCS. Where Pimax had it better was the FOV, making it easier to look back over your shoulder. FOV causing a bit of a tunnel vision with the slight black edges were the only drawbacks on Varjo. Fix those and competition just got that much tougher. And of course the price tag on Varjo is a bit of a hindrance too. As they are for professional use, with some recreational use, their price is a hefty one. Over 5K Euro for a headset is steep. Nevertheless the Varjo team got a lot of information and data how to further improve their hardware. Software was top notch already.

In short Varjo Pro-2 were the first VR goggles being very close to what I want from a set. Despite the steep price and FOV they really showed to me what I am missing when not using VR. I am sold

Spoiler

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 4

Flanker's post pretty much sums it up. One thing I noticed instantly when trying out the Varjo headset was that I had no issues following enemy plane with forest in the background. I don't know if that's common to the VR experience, but that was really nice.

Thanks for the review.  Really interesting.   Did they mention whether they are working on a consumer version of their headsets? 

10 hours ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

Awesome guys and hopefully they enjoyed their stay! Was great meeting such talented guys working in the world of VR

Great to hear. Now if you could haggle a bit of discount with them for IL-2 players that would be nice. 90-95% would do the trick I think.

Jokes aside: they indeed have an impressive device based on what I've read.

• Haha 1

S!

They certainly have the best image quality I´ve seen so far. Felt kind of FLAT to play on a screen again after experiencing VR 😄 And as Temuri mentioned, planes could not hide against forest anymore :P Not to mention the immersion over and over again. Another interesting product might be the Pimax 8K X. It´s price with the stations etc. is also well above 1k €, so not really an entry level gadget...

Edited by LLv34_Flanker

I'd be very interested in Varjo (which headset, by the way, they have several?) vs Pimax 8KX comparison. The 5K+ is fairly old display tech by now, approximately in the "Rift S, Index, Pimax 5K" level of pixel density, so it's nothing to write home about. Reverb and Pimax 8KX have significantly higher pixel density and might be able to give the Varjo a bit more of a fight (although I expect a $5k device to win, obviously!).

I think 8KX would be the best option considering it's price, resolution and FOV.

S! 

They had VR-2 with them. More info at www.varjo.com For now it seems Pimax 8K X will be a serious contender and price will settle below 2k € with the controllers and base stations. Quite steep still, but if offering a good resolution with a nice FOV..😅 

It looks VR is finally getting there, having an image clarity close to a good screen or even beyond. Hopefully the prices will also settle a bit. I am very excited to get a good set for DCS/IL-2 :)

It is certainly good to have more companies (varjo) working in the VR devices market.

They say they focus the professional market, but if someday they go for the domestic market, they should adapt the prices to the 400-600€ range.

I am also in the VR professional market (as client), and you know what?  we use the Rift-S! because for our application we don´t need a super resolution.

So, I see this pitch ( professional vs domestic ) a bit ridiculous.

It would be interesting to get some A-B-C comparison of the varjo VR-2 with Reverb and Pimax8KX, which are the top contenders resolution wise.

So far we know Reverb vs Pimax8KX:

https://community.openmr.ai/t/8kx-vs-8k-vs-hp-reverb-macro-shots/22753

I also consider the Pimax8KX is extremely expensive for what it delivers. For sure that price will be reduced, they will need to do that if they want to sell some amount units.

2 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

It is certainly good to have more companies (varjo) working in the VR devices market.

They say they focus the professional market, but if someday they go for the domestic market, they should adapt the prices to the 400-600€ range.

I am also in the VR professional market (as client), and you know what?  we use the Rift-S! because for our application we don´t need a super resolution.

So, I see this pitch ( professional vs domestic ) a bit ridiculous.

It would be interesting to get some A-B-C comparison of the varjo VR-2 with Reverb and Pimax8KX, which are the top contenders resolution wise.

So far we know Reverb vs Pimax8KX:

https://community.openmr.ai/t/8kx-vs-8k-vs-hp-reverb-macro-shots/22753

I also consider the Pimax8KX is extremely expensive for what it delivers. For sure that price will be reduced, they will need to do that if they want to sell some amount units.

I agree in general that the professional (vs consumer) label is many times just a scum to get more money from people who don't read (or don't care as some companies) just assume that if something is expensive and for "professional" use it must be better.

But Varjo at least have their own technology invention as far as I can tell.

My ridiculous product from this perspective is XTAL. They are basically selling a Pimax for 6200 Euro (+VAT) with the "professional use" label.

S! 

Varjo has 4 screens and automatic eye adjustment etc. The overall feel was sturdier than in Pimax for example. And according to them the price will settle lower in future. Nevertheless will be interesting to see how VR will evovle in a year or two. 

6 hours ago, apollon01 said:

Just be careful here. Sweviver, as he proved in one of his videos, can be quite innovative and creative in the way he presents through-the-lenses pictures.

There was a non-Sweviver comparison, and the Reverb and 8Ks looked a little closer than shown by Sweviver. But hopefully I'm sure we all recognize that "through the lens" shots only tell a partial story; you need to view it with your own eyes to make a decision.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Alonzo said:

There was a non-Sweviver comparison

do you have the link?

I think one of the arguments for the XTAL and probably similarly the Varjo is the much higher pixel per degree(PPD)?

I don't remember where I was reading this but I think XTAL has done a considerable amount of optical hardware related work to utilize more of the panel - thus more PPD. So much so that I don't think it uses a Fresnel lens - which is a huge + for me.

I think pimax is somewhat misleading with their new 8k headsets as the pixels per degree isn't really THAT much higher than their other headsets. It's just a wider FOV i.e. the SDE and the coarse picture isn't really improved, the FOV is just bigger. 

For this sim, I think the PPD is much more important since we're hunting specs in the sky, not relying on peripheral vision.

I'm just pulling from memory so If I'm wrong - someone please correct me!   

The through the lens pictures certainly put the Pimax 8KX on par with the Reverb, or slightly better, when it comes to pixel density. A lot of people have said "wow" at the Reverb, not being able to see pixels, enjoying the detail, that kind of thing. So if Pimax are able to combine that "wow" factor for detail with their original "wow" factor of wide FOV, I think that is worth something.

I found a few samples. This is the old Pimax 8K vs the XTAL (XTAL wins easily):

rmiwl1dtu8t21.png

And this is new Pimax 8KX, old Pimax 8K, HP Reverb. You sort of have to guess at the correlation between all of them, but it looks to me like XTAL is still (as expected) quite a bit better than 8KX, and 8KX is only a bit better than Reverb, but of course with ultrawide FOV.

img%5D

S! 

Varjo VR-2 was very sharp, a bit better than XTAL even. Really an enjoyable experience. 

5 hours ago, Alonzo said:

The through the lens pictures certainly put the Pimax 8KX on par with the Reverb, or slightly better, when it comes to pixel density. A lot of people have said "wow" at the Reverb, not being able to see pixels, enjoying the detail, that kind of thing. So if Pimax are able to combine that "wow" factor for detail with their original "wow" factor of wide FOV, I think that is worth something.

I found a few samples. This is the old Pimax 8K vs the XTAL (XTAL wins easily):

rmiwl1dtu8t21.png

And this is new Pimax 8KX, old Pimax 8K, HP Reverb. You sort of have to guess at the correlation between all of them, but it looks to me like XTAL is still (as expected) quite a bit better than 8KX, and 8KX is only a bit better than Reverb, but of course with ultrawide FOV.

img%5D

Okay, I take back my previous XTAL bashing. A long time ago I looked up the specs and found them to be similar to Pimax. They may have changed or they too have a nice technology to produce sharp image quality.

It’s worth noting that Varjo achieves this sharpness with a form of fixed foveated rendering using dual screens. So it’s not a full field of view 20/20 equivalent. The sharper portion is limited to a small center sweet spot. 
https://uploadvr.com/varjo-vr-2/

I don't really understand the comparison photos.

I have the Pimax 5K+ with a 1080Ti GPU and I always have the same clarity level or even better on the gauges that is shown with the XTAL.

Exterior views are also very good with the 200 FOV.  

Is it the "Thru the Lens" setup that is causing a discrepancy, would appreciate some knowledgeable explanation from the experts.