P-51D when wheel covers are gone, seems wrong

So there is a thing that seems wrong to me and i am certain that it is not correct.

When the P51D dives and reaches a dive speed of + 525mph, it starts to lose wheel covers.

Those are the wheel covers i speak of.

p51wheel.png.e6fc6e6fd92478b785806b35e7393aba.png

I am not sure if this is accurate to lose the wheel covers first in a dive but the topic is about something else,

=> in fact about the speed loss that occurs due the loss of them.

wheel.png.a7568964c4ca1eb836afd6df7e5fc82d.png

When the P51D loses all wheel covers, the speed loss is: 118 kp/h!!!

?width=692&height=390

I know how i can race the P51D with 150 octane up to 630 kph at sea level, now since all 4(2 each wheel) are gone, it's max speed is 512 kph. That is a loss of 118 kph!!

(topspeed of 630 kph at sea level - 512 kph topspeed at SL without wheel covers = 118 kph loss)

(The tests were all made with 50% fuel, -100% trim, 50% mixture, 83-84% rpm, 100% throttle, 0% oil radiator on sea level. That's the best P51 setting possible at sea level!)

And to show you how weird this is, i tested with the exact same settings i tested above only with bombs attached on the P51D.

2x 500 lb bombs with wheel covers. Topspeed: 597 kph.

20200126175648_1.thumb.jpg.535124074db9a7535b3ecf6636b9da9e.jpg

2x 1000 lb bombs on the P51D with wheel covers. Topspeed: 553 kph.

20200126180013_1.thumb.jpg.4a9647f928bc6aaf6990b64ef2717073.jpg

And this is the Tempest Mk.V without wheel covers, still reaches a topspeed of 623 kph! No speed loss at all!

unknown.png?width=689&height=389

(addition edit: Me262 topspeed is 835 kph at sea level with wheel cover) In this test without wheel covers it is 783 kph. 

a difference of 52 kph!

unknown.png

This can be seen with Bf109K4 and Fw190D9 with a difference of 30 kph as well!

So the P51D is faster with bombs on than without wheel covers AND ALL other planes have A WAY smaller speed penalty than the P51D which seems really off to me and i really hope the developers will see this and fix it.

Edit: Please stay on topic and don't drift off about anything else that could be off, otherwise this problem might be forgotten and no one will do sth about it.

Edited by MeoW.Scharfi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 13

German 109s operated without any wheel covers during winter at the eastern front because dirt and mud would've otherwise caked the landing gear struts and caused issues. I don't think pilots would've easily agreed to having them removed if they'd caused this much of an increase in drag.

• Upvote 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

From the 4.005 update today:

115. Opened P-51D landing gear bays cause less drag;

I tested this out, and the P-51D now settles at 349mph/561kph.  Still a 42mph/69kph loss, significantly more than the other aircraft tested by Scharfi, but not nearly as crippling as before.

• Upvote 1

I'm still interested about the actual gear cover flying off at 520mph in the first place (did some testing, it seems to take place at exactly that speed.) The technical reports I saw linked in the other 51 thread only stated it as a maintenance issue, which A) did not occur during every high speed dive, unlike in game, and B) was fixed by a strengthening of the latches. 

And to boot yes, the door covers still give a speed penalty of about 25-40mph depending on power settings. 

Thanks for this information as I have only just started to fly the P51D.  I will try and make sure that I don't go over the P51D maximum dive speed of 505 mph, as I want to keep the wheel covers on.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

On 2/4/2020 at 3:56 PM, PainGod85 said:

German 109s operated without any wheel covers during winter at the eastern front because dirt and mud would've otherwise caked the landing gear struts and caused issues. I don't think pilots would've easily agreed to having them removed if they'd caused this much of an increase in drag.

Agreed, but the P-51 had laminar flow wing desing, no?
Maybe if u lose the wheel door, you ll have more penalty with laminar flow design.
I read about the P-51 mustang if there was any bigger dirt or scratch on the P-51 wing,(so if it was not "factory smooth")then it was very bad for the plane high speed.
I do not remember but maybe I heard this from this video:

5 hours ago, -[HRAF]Roland_HUNter said:

Agreed, but the P-51 had laminar flow wing desing, no?
Maybe if u lose the wheel door, you ll have more penalty with laminar flow design.
I read about the P-51 mustang if there was any bigger dirt or scratch on the P-51 wing,(so if it was not "factory smooth")then it was very bad for the plane high speed.
I do not remember but maybe I heard this from this video:

What @QB.Shallot said. Any advantage the P-51's "wing of laminar flow design" (this is the actual wording used to describe it) may or may not have given the airframe was basically rendered moot by gunports, panel lines, riveting and irregularities in its surface coating breaking up the surface.

Edited by PainGod85
  • Like 1