Looking forward to it! A modernised Mighty Eighth will go down a treat, glad its optional VR and you have AI crew's for those times you can't or don't want real people :). I don't mind not having all the switches useable just to get going either to be honest, the originals were great without.

I just hope we get to choose which group we join, the aircraft and lots of customization options including nose-art with the possibility of importing your own :).

Hope it sales really well, would love an expansion pack with the Halifax MK .III and the Lancaster, even though valiant effort game looks great.

• Upvote 1

It would be great if we were able to fly the bomber or man the guns and our friends could defend us in warbirds. Others could join the axxis and try to blast us out of the sky. Who knows, some may even operate the AA batteries etc!? Now this reminds me of the fact that most of those features are already in IL-2 sturmovik! But microprose may bring its own look and feel to the table as they could in the past. Good times are here! 

• Like 1

I prophesize that the clamor for heavy level bombers might fade away somewhat here in the il2 realm when people find out about this:

https://microprose.com/games/the-mighty-eighth

And the Liberator too, no less!

This Microprose comeback sure is surprising me. If they merely redo the previous game in newer graphics, I would already be jumping in joy.

BoS doesn't have to compete with this imo, just to be clear. Different scopes. But pehaps it serves as a stimilus to fully model the b26 and b25 for instance, as the bomber-oriented player looks elsewhere for that.

Anyways it seems to be in very early stages of development, I for one won't get too excited just yet. But it will prove to be one worth checking out.

3 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I really really hope they make the plane believable in flight. I really liked Taking off and stay in formation. 
The fact they wont make complex start up do not change things for me

yep, absolutely this. 

1 hour ago, Hoots said:

yep, absolutely this. 

I think I have so much film and docu’s in my head. Twelveo’clock high. When it comes to B 17  For me it is just enough sitting in a virtual cockpit and see the pixels taxi to runway. Being part of a wing with B 17 and sort of feel you fly it might be enough , but can also mean due to we being pampered with more modern sims a major down

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

@216th_LuseKofte thanks for pointing out on the other thread I started, that this was already being discussed here. I didn't know. 

Well, there I said that this new 'Migthy Eighth' sim could put some pressure on BoS to have more options when it comes to level bombers. I don't think, and am not defending that, BoS should follow or compete with the new sim in any way, specially so because the scopes are so different; but it could be a good idea to push forward a flyable B26 to have something similar over here so those who wish for something more akin of level bombing could find it here without looking for it somewhere else. What do you guys think?

On 5/26/2020 at 9:18 AM, Amiral_Crapaud said:

I wouldn't worry about the Lancaster - that is being taken care of by people who are very good at it already and deserve much praise too! :)

https://www.valianteffortgame.com/

Cheers!

OMG, this is even greater news than the next Migthy Eighth!

• Like 1

A allied mid to late war medium bomber with relative good bomb load will bring up my hours in this game. I like the Heinkel H 16 but it is outdated for late war. 
They missed the opportunity of not giving the Mosquito level bombing capability. In my eyes Arado give a huge advantage while Mossie need to go down low. GB is more a iching I need to have than a game I use regularly

• 2 weeks later...

I mean.. who cant be pumped

And dont get upset fellas this aint il2.competition

Totally different areas. Theyve basically all but said for sure we wont see 4 engine bombers and frankly I think MP needs to stay away from fighrers this time.

I know this lll prolly get moved thoigh.. but seriously who isnt excited?

In thhese days with these graphics?? Plus theyll have B24s?? Hell just being the squadron commander was a joy.  The different functions - the grainy recon tape with flak..

Drool

Ironically much of strat ww2 bombing is eeaply boring otherwise but.. i csnt help it. I want 

I REALLLLLY was hoping theyd ignore flyable fighters and FOCUS ENTIRELY on B17s and 24s.

Still the original was FANTASTIC. And we need this. Il2 WILL NOT HAVE 4 ENGINES. i hope im wrong but.

and my god.. what did we do to our menus

look at a YT vid of mighty 8th.

it looks like your on an airfield

the briefings.. all of it amazing. immersive down to the recon clip.

even if nothing was new just updated  graphics and features itd be worth it.

nothing anyone says is gonna change my mind unless they say ( GAIJAN TOOK OVER) or something

2 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

There is already a topic in the right section.

thanks I wasnt aware . as far as 'right section ' my mistake but general discussion seemed apt..?

Edited by Sublime
  • 2 weeks later...

I know, a little late to the table as I have seen bits and pieces posted around, but this link seems to have a lot of detail and confirms the B-24, VR and 10 player multi-player mode for Microprose newest title. 

https://twinfinite.net/2020/05/microprose-the-mighty-eighth/

Cheers, MP

Edited by Mysticpuma
  • Upvote 2

Looking good so far, but I hope it won't be a revamp of the original game, although this new version also allows us to fly the B-24.

The original "Mighty Eighth" was not a hit, very restricted and dull in my opinion. And only because it's in VR doesn't mean that it
will succeed. 

Now, if you imagine the game's price tag being similar to the games we all know and love, to me it is some kind of expensive ride.

I wonder what those people, that already complain the "high" priced IL2 GB modules and the "lack" of content, will say about the
offered gameplay of this new title.

I'm curious of your opinions on this:

How detailed do you expect things such as fighters to be? It would be pretty shite of them to not have fighters to either attack or protect formations, but at the same time we can hardly expect Il-2 detail/quality. Additionally, how good of a flight model would you expect? From what I remember of original B-17 it wasn't too great, but easily forgiven for how great the rest of  it was.

5 hours ago, COVIDCowboy said:

I'm curious of your opinions on this:

How detailed do you expect things such as fighters to be? It would be pretty shite of them to not have fighters to either attack or protect formations, but at the same time we can hardly expect Il-2 detail/quality. Additionally, how good of a flight model would you expect? From what I remember of original B-17 it wasn't too great, but easily forgiven for how great the rest of  it was.

I’d be happy with no fighters, we have lots of options for that. Just the bombers and a detailed flight model and I’ll be very happy. 

If Microprose can offer The Mighty 8 as described it is worth a thousand USD to me !

B-24, in VR, must mean ultimate immersion.

But let's not forget we already have this experiece (not B-24, but A-20 etc) to some extent anyway.

In IL-2 we can have MP in a bomber already, we can fly against those A-20 etc !

IL-2 already has that experience (not 10 MP mode though) and I do hope Microprose will be able to improve on this with this 10-player MP mode in one and the same B-24.

Much is going to depend on the AI too ... I don't think the B-24 will get filled with human players all the time and therefore the AI should be quite capable.

But, a lot to look forward too.

In the meantime we do have IL-2 GB already to practice our bombing runs 🙂  

Edited by simfan2015
11 hours ago, Hoots said:

I’d be happy with no fighters, we have lots of options for that. Just the bombers and a detailed flight model and I’ll be very happy. 

If there was no threat the game would get old very, very fast.

The fighter threat in particular needs to be potent and dangerous, otherwise you might as well just be on training runs over friendly territory.

49 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

If there was no threat the game would get old very, very fast.

The fighter threat in particular needs to be potent and dangerous, otherwise you might as well just be on training runs over friendly territory.

Sorry, I meant no flyable fighters. You're right, it absolutely needs a fighter threat.

On 6/24/2020 at 2:30 AM, Hoots said:

I disagree, there's not anything really modern that gives a good Defense of the Reich experience as a Luftwaffe pilot. Gah, in a perfect world we would have IL-2's fighters and microproses heavies!

• Upvote 1
On 6/24/2020 at 8:30 AM, Hoots said:

Just the bombers and a detailed flight model

I really hope for this, but I got both previous ones and I would not say it contained complex systems and flight model. 
In order to stay on pair with todays standard , they must up the game a little on that part

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

B-24 all the way baby! I’ll be really disappointed if expectations aren't met in so far as flight fidelity, immersion and graphics. Hoping it will be geared more towards a simulation rather than an arcade game. 

Since no heavies in IL-2 GB I’ll be keeping a close eye on this one.

Given the studio manager's quote in one of early interviews, "We won't have a cockpit with over 500 switches where it takes you ten minutes just to get off the tarmac. We want to get people quickly into the game, be part of it, and be entertained", I wouldn't count on it being simulator-oriented. Might still be interesting title, though. We'll have to wait and see.

1 hour ago, Art-J said:

Given the studio manager's quote in one of early interviews, "We won't have a cockpit with over 500 switches where it takes you ten minutes just to get off the tarmac. We want to get people quickly into the game, be part of it, and be entertained", I wouldn't count on it being simulator-oriented. Might still be interesting title, though. We'll have to wait and see.

Okay, I’d give them that. I mean look at IL-2 and I find it incredibly enjoyable. Id be happy if they also had options for realism and flight dynamics much like the menu in IL-2 does or some other flight simulators. I don’t have any complaints with not having to spend the time to go through step by step procedural startups, in-depth systems and the like ala DCS since this means also memorizing tons of material in order to do so. But if they had the OPTION for those who wanted to go hardcore I wouldn’t balk at that either, but yeah, given the info you presented here I definitely would bank on it. 

I guess what I’m driving at so long as it isn’t an arcade game where they tossed flight dynamics out the window along with everything else, I don’t care how good the graphics are even with VR and heavies, I wouldn’t bite for it. 

My greatest fear is a total arcade game that looks good. 
I suppose that is better than if it looks bad. 
As I remembered the first game it had for those days a at least believable fm. 
If it gonna be without any feel of flight I cool off pretty fast. I like the crew managing stuff but firmation flying, takeoff and landing must in some way resemble the real thing. If not they loose the people original interested in it in the first place

• Upvote 1
37 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

The information I’d seen so far indicated it wasn’t a flight simulator as such, but more of an on-rails multi crew experience with a set number of missions containing scripted events.  

That would be the BBC’s VR recreation of F-Freddie’s raid on Berlin.

14 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Sorry, I meant interactive events as opposed to a VR walk around.  

It wouldn’t surprise me if it ends up as a mixture of both. I’m not being facetious, the BBC thing works as an authentic claustrophobic experience. In a big B17 raid, with a walk around, interactive bomber, manning a turret.....It would be original.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2020 at 6:22 PM, DD_Arthur said:

That would be the BBC’s VR recreation of F-Freddie’s raid on Berlin.

Now THAT was a pretty damn good VR experience they put together based on the original recording! Excellent experience, especially for someone curious about flight itself.

On 6/20/2020 at 3:23 PM, THERION said:

I wonder what those people, that already complain the "high" priced IL2 GB modules and the "lack" of content, will say about the
offered gameplay of this new title

I was plenty entertained by the first version, but it was not the only aviation game I flew at the time. 
I cannot see myself flying online with 9 other guy’s shutting me on only one position.  I loved to take off and fly formation, even the climbing. 
As said before, it do not need to be complex engine management, but it must give the impression you fly and manage the crew and plane. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Microprose has apparently has one in the pipeline and perhaps a B-24 as well.It will be available to use with VR too! Screenshots only at this point so probably a ways off.Years ago I did the cover art( see below,) for an earlier version of the sim, but never played it.Others did and had a high opinion of Microprose’s efforts back in the day.Perhaps have other more up to date news?

https://www.microprose.com/games/the-mighty-eighth/

487B318F-C34F-4FE4-B7F7-4C8ECEE3016E.jpeg

72DE0157-34F5-4FBD-921F-BF4D9D857917.jpeg

A974E3A3-86E6-42F0-AE6A-96436E7C3A51.jpeg

9CF6EDFF-98E1-48AF-99BA-9CADC06C36D9.png

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 2