3 minutes ago, dukethejuke said:

What is the benefit of using Steam? I play IL-2 only.

Honestly, nowadays it's not a benefit any more, especially when you only have IL-2 and not a huge game library.

Some time ago, you would have the benefit that updates run very fast and automated.

But since they modified the download feature of the IL2-launcher, updating your game is no problem anymore,

except that you still will have to do it manually - there is no automation in the launcher.

For Steam users like me. Its pretty much automated. Also the one thing I like about or stick with for Steam is the seamless backup and moving from one drive to another without much hassle.

3 hours ago, jojy47jojyrocks said:

Also the one thing I like about or stick with for Steam is the seamless backup and moving from one drive to another without much hassle.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Steam's backup features are particularly useful with IL-2. You get cloud saves in other games sure, but it doesn't save your IL-2 career mode or any of your control profiles. If you're switching computers you're better off backing up the files yourself, reinstalling the game on the new rig, and then putting the files back.

Steam is better for auto update and I also find it great for playing the game in VR.

What I did, was get BoS from steam and everything else from the developer’s online store. That way you still get all the benefits of steam and the developer only misses out on some of the money of BoS. But gets all the money for every purchase after, if you use the developer store.

Edited by w00dy
  • Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Goffik said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Steam's backup features are particularly useful with IL-2. You get cloud saves in other games sure, but it doesn't save your IL-2 career mode or any of your control profiles. If you're switching computers you're better off backing up the files yourself, reinstalling the game on the new rig, and then putting the files back.

My last backup was like a year or two back. I backed up my Steam games pretty easy and got it re-installed. Forgot what happened to career mode back then...but I do remember it was buggy in the early stages. The thing is I update my system like 3-4 year gaps. I have Origin, Steam, Uplay and Battle.net. Juggling between all these when you need to back up is kinda taxing and a hassle. So...Steam works for me, ease on the workload. Its pretty seamless too.

5 hours ago, w00dy said:

Steam is better for auto update and I also find it great for playing the game in VR.

What I did, was great BoS from steam and everything else from the developer’s online store. That way you still get all the benefits of steam and the developer only misses out on some of the money of BoS. But gets all the money for every purchase after, if you use the developer store.

You should try OpenComposite.   I used to use Steam edition but now I just use Standalone and OpenComposite. Better performance.

1 hour ago, [CPT]HawkeyeP said:

You should try OpenComposite.   I used to use Steam edition but now I just use Standalone and OpenComposite. Better performance.

Idon't think OpenComposite works with WMR headsets.

There is no advantage. I believe with the devs launcher patches are released earlier than steam. Plus the steam version takes a massive cut that would otherwise have gone to the devs, despite being the same cost.