PicksKing

[MOD] Rheinland Texture Mod v1.0

@LizLemon No, no. This is easy to fix. I just wanna say that the non-snowy railways on winter map are not an issue, caused by this mod as jollyjack said, because even the untouched tini-files are referencing to the non-snowy railways, as shown in my previous post.

New textures look superb, the changes make things easier on the eye as they break up the overall Green and there also seems to be a certain graininess there I quite like, very effective.:drinks:

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Edited by Missionbug
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nice mod @PicksKing.  Looks great. Is there any possibility that you would be working your magic on all the maps :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

hello,

i just made an autumn mission on Holland, very nice immersion.  wonderful i can't wait to try the winter menu when it is ready.

however to be historic it would take almost 2 winter maps.  before December 23, 1944 with light snowfall and another with the Ardennes in the snow in late December and first half of January 1945 with then a return to partial snowfall in the second half of January 1945. historical side it would be perfect but I don't know  not if it is feasible.

20 hours ago, MarcoPegase44 said:

hello,

i just made an autumn mission on Holland, very nice immersion.  wonderful i can't wait to try the winter menu when it is ready.

however to be historic it would take almost 2 winter maps.  before December 23, 1944 with light snowfall and another with the Ardennes in the snow in late December and first half of January 1945 with then a return to partial snowfall in the second half of January 1945. historical side it would be perfect but I don't know  not if it is feasible.

Something like this by Maybug would be more realistic for a european winter map. IMHO

25b.jpg.daf348d917f678ab79072e49e15540b3.jpg

57_54.jpg.2aae26efc062e6c58f9de2b117227910.jpg

Edited by sevenless

@sevenless I think a less snowy winter map will come but it takes time. Its even science in itself to find out how much snow is the right amount. 32% of the area? 33%? Hell no 33,568% is too much. Maybe some historical sources containing weather data would be useful.

@rowdyb00t One step after the other 🙂 

Furthermore there are still a lot of things in my mod, which I am not very pleased with. Too noisy height map, some fake details and so on. A lot room for improvement.

Today I occupationally drove a few hours and used the opportunity to gather useful pictures for the another version.

Edited by PicksKing
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Hello This page talks a lot about the weather for air operations and snowfall in late 1944 and early 1945.

In summary what should be remembered is that before December 22 the temperatures were relatively mild (10 °) C) in the plains. rain and melted snow.

Snow was mainly present on the heights of the Ardennes massif.

This is confirmed by the photos of the Ardennes offensive which shows snow only at the end of the battle.

So snow only on the heights.

Attached is a page from a site in French speaking of the weather during the Battle of the Bulge.

http://www.ardenneswhitestar.be/fr/le-coin-de-l-historien/80-brumes-et-neige

Edited by MarcoPegase44

Tried the Rheinland mod today.

WOW - I absolutey LOVE the autumn map. I must say I very much prefer this version over the original, which to me kinda like too "brownish" (if that's the right word). Colors in the moded one are more subtle, and there is also more variety to the eye. So that'll be a keeper for me for sure. :)

The new spring map also looks quite beautiful, but with this one I think there is too much green, especially around the woods. That should be toned down imho.

I haven't checked the new summer map, because with summer not been available in career mode (which I play almost exclusively), I'm not too hot about this one.

I'm really looking forward to a new winter Rheinland map.

Thanks for your efforts. Much appreciated! :good:

Edited by Gretsch_Man

Awesome PicksKing  !!!

Your texture-mods have already been my favourite ones in DCS  :) - but I must confess that the overall looks of IL-2 landscapes are even better, particular with your mod.

Thank you so much,

all the best.

Yes, looks a lot much better now. Great work and thanks.

BTW, it's funny to see that in IL-2 my hometown has the size it had in medieval and the whole huge harbor at the Rhine is missing. But of course that's not because of this mod.

On 2/4/2020 at 6:29 PM, PicksKing said:

@sevenless I think a less snowy winter map will come but it takes time. Its even science in itself to find out how much snow is the right amount. 32% of the area? 33%? Hell no 33,568% is too much. Maybe some historical sources containing weather data would be useful.

Saluté

Any news from the Winter texture front?

Hey @PicksKing, any news on the winter textures? Winter just started in my career and it was drastic change in terms of visual quality.

I don´t think i will continue until your winter textures is ready.

Thanks for your great work.  Cheers!

57 minutes ago, Lt_Magnov said:

Hey @PicksKing, any news on the winter textures? Winter just started in my career and it was drastic change in terms of visual quality.

I don´t think i will continue until your winter textures is ready.

Thanks for your great work.  Cheers!

+1