On 4/2/2021 at 12:46 AM, Gambit21 said:

1080 GPU for now.

I have almost exactly the same rig as you. Once you upgrade the GPU you'll be happy out. I was fortunate enough to grab a 2nd hand 2080ti after people were panic selling them when the 3000 series was announced. Same card 2nd hand is now going for €400 more than what I paid for it. 

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

The money shot. :cool:

20210405100706_1 - Copy.jpg

AIM-7s on an F-104? I never knew/saw that. Had more than a few immensely fun, totally unauthorized and unbriefed 1-v-1 encounters with RCAF Starfighters out of CFB Baden Sollingen. On one occasion I was letting the WSO fly at about 2000 feet AGL. I watched one approach from our low 3 o'clock and smartly pull right up on our right wing. Never said anything to my WSO until after I showed both hands to the 104 pilot, then pointed behind me. The 104 pilot nodded (laughing to himself I assume). After a short interval I asked the WSO if he saw something on the ground at our 2 o'clock ("Is that such and such at 2 o'clock?") Holy buckets...my WSO abruptly yanked the stick back while asking "where the f*ck did he come from?" The 104 guy and I had a good laugh. It was a very good lesson for me not to depend on the WSO to check six. The RCAF guys were so much fun to fly against. :salute:

Edited by busdriver
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, busdriver said:

It was a very good lesson for me not to depend on the WSO to check six. 

I wasn’t there, but I’m sure he made this clear when he signed on -  like the old “I don’t do windows” thing

“$12.70 an hour, and I don’t check six”

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

The italian F-104S (Air Defense Subvariant) could carry AIM-7/ Aspide missiles.

They'd have to take out the gun and replace it with a couple of black-boxes for the guidance-computer, though.

1990_scramble_reale_con_missile_aspide.j

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Bremspropeller said:

They'd have to take out the gun and replace it with a couple of black-boxes for the guidance-computer, though.

If a stone age AIM7 has a pk of 0.3, then the F-104S could load 0.5 onboard kills. Minchia...

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

I wasn’t there, but I’m sure he made this clear when he signed on -  like the old “I don’t do windows” thing

“$12.70 an hour, and I don’t check six”

Actually this WSO was a very nice guy that had washed out of UPT during the Formation phase (think Opie Taylor aww shucks paw). He wanted to know why I didn't say anything...but yeah it was mo'debly a teaching moment for us both. There were two or three WSOs in the squadron/wing with "heavy" background. They sorta kinda fit your description, didn't like to pull Gs or want to use more than 45 degrees of bank down low. During flight planning my first ride with one, he insisted I use 420 knots and 45 degrees. The "speed limit" in Germany was 450 knots with a permitted 540 knots IP to target. LOWAT (low altitude awareness training) ROE basically said all you could do is rock your wings or turn 90 degrees to let the attacker know you saw them. Then there were some aggressive guys that would say, "go get him!" when we spotted other jets. I was selective, with certain WSOs or when encountering USAF jets I religiously stuck to LOWAT ROE...against 104s, Mirages, Alpha Jets, and Harriers..."Fight's On!" That was an advantage of flying single ship (no witness to report my ass). 

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

If a stone age AIM7 has a pk of 0.3, then the F-104S could load 0.5 onboard kills

Still better than firing a Sidewinder in the goo or that sporty "blind" gunsight-attack...

3 hours ago, busdriver said:

AIM-7s on an F-104? I never knew/saw that.

It's a mod. Works off the F-15 cockpit from FC3 and has some delicious RCAF skins on the DCS boards. It's my blow up doll version of a Starfighter until someone makes the real thing.

3 hours ago, busdriver said:

Had more than a few immensely fun, totally unauthorized and unbriefed 1-v-1 encounters with RCAF Starfighters out of CFB Baden Sollingen. On one occasion I was letting the WSO fly at about 2000 feet AGL. I watched one approach from our low 3 o'clock and smartly pull right up on our right wing. Never said anything to my WSO until after I showed both hands to the 104 pilot, then pointed behind me. The 104 pilot nodded (laughing to himself I assume). After a short interval I asked the WSO if he saw something on the ground at our 2 o'clock ("Is that such and such at 2 o'clock?") Holy buckets...my WSO abruptly yanked the stick back while asking "where the f*ck did he come from?" The 104 guy and I had a good laugh. It was a very good lesson for me not to depend on the WSO to check six. The RCAF guys were so much fun to fly against. :salute:

I will confirm that we Canadians are a horrible, horrible people. :biggrin:

Just now, CanadaOne said:

Aliens! :o: 

20210405081719_1 - Copy.jpg

Ha...that's noooothin!

I got a nice long look at a TR-3B one day....not kidding. :o:

1 minute ago, Gambit21 said:

Ha...that's noooothin!

I got a nice long look at a TR-3B one day....not kidding. :o:

And da boys from Area 51 1/2 aren't going to visit su casa this very minute to off you for sharing that info?

1 minute ago, CanadaOne said:

And da boys from Area 51 1/2 aren't going to visit su casa this very minute to off you for sharing that info?

Well if they were that concerned they wouldn’t have been hovering where they were. To this day - no idea why.

2 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Well if they were that concerned they wouldn’t have been hovering where they were. To this day - no idea why.

I admit to also having seen some pretty colours, and other things, during my more intellectually promiscuous days. 

Ahhhh.... the 70s. :cool:

4 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

I admit to also having seen some pretty colours, and other things, during my more intellectually promiscuous days. 

Ahhhh.... the 70s. :cool:

Yeah...that's been a typical response whenever I've mentioned it. :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Yeah...that's been a typical response whenever I've mentioned it. :rolleyes:

Yeah, because the rest of us don't want to share a blindfold and a final smoke with you just before the NSA administers a final high-speed headache.

I didn't see nuthin'!  😇

17 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Yeah, because the rest of us don't want to share a blindfold and a final smoke with you just before the NSA administers a final high-speed headache.

I didn't see nuthin'!  😇

You're already in too deep!

I have it on good authority (i.e. some random website) that TR3Bs (the Area 51 kind, not the bright red middle-age-compensators) have propulsion systems which emit mercury vapours. And we all know what they can do to you:

426px-Alice_par_John_Tenniel_38.png

I have officially begun my fourth campaign for the Hornet.

Operation Cage the Bear. A super carrier based campaign.

Flew the first mission and I did ok in some air to air engagements and got back to the super carrier ok.

This one though may be a little beyond my pay grade, as I am flying with a wingman and I am flight lead so I have to deal with telling him what to do, and I notice in the next mission once we deal with some air threats I have to call in and order some strikes. I will continue but may hit a roadblock at some point with this one. I really prefer not being in the flight leader role.  Guess it presents a good opportunity to learn more.

In any event I am still having a blast flying campaigns as I continue to learn the Hornet. My Virpil CM3 throttle is out for a small repair from the factory, I will get back to some good IL-2 flying once I get that puppy back. Don't want to mess with resetting up controls for the Warthog throttle I am using in the interim as that would be temporary.

Oh well, seems the IL2 "mission editor" will remain.... the same. :rolleyes:

At least mission building in DCS with the new Mosquito will be fast, easy, and fun. 

Mosquito-2s.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

imminent

2 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

Oh well, seems the IL2 "mission editor" will remain.... the same. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's a bummer.  This is only going to hurt them in the end. There are currently a whopping total of 7 payware campaigns for sale...how long has Great Battles been around again???... If the mission editor was a bit more user friendly like the DCS one, they'd probably have more users stepping up to make more campaigns which would lead to more opportunity to sale payware campaigns..ie more PROFIT.   There was the sale yesterday which I would've happily bought any campaign (or collectors aircraft for that matter....) if I didn't already own all of them and I have no desire whatsoever for Tank Crew and collector vehicles 🙄... They are basically at a point with me and I'm sure a lot of others that they can have sales every day for the rest of the year and it wouldn't make a difference since there is no new actual air combat related content we haven't already bought. But the decisions been made so, it is what it is.  I do appreciate Jason taking so many questions yesterday, got some solid answers on some things even if some were disappointing answers. 

*Yes, I know I haven't bought FC II yet, I wait until the first aircraft release is imminent before I buy.

Edited by DBFlyguy
  • Upvote 2
4 hours ago, DBFlyguy said:

imminent

Yeah, it's a bummer.  This is only going to hurt them in the end. There are currently a whopping total of 7 payware campaigns for sale...how long has Great Battles been around again???... If the mission editor was a bit more user friendly like the DCS one, they'd probably have more users stepping up to make more campaigns which would lead to more opportunity to sale payware campaigns..ie more PROFIT.   There was the sale yesterday which I would've happily bought any campaign (or collectors aircraft for that matter....) if I didn't already own all of them and I have no desire whatsoever for Tank Crew and collector vehicles 🙄... They are basically at a point with me and I'm sure a lot of others that they can have sales every day for the rest of the year and it wouldn't make a difference since there is no new actual air combat related content we haven't already bought. But the decisions been made so, it is what it is.  I do appreciate Jason taking so many questions yesterday, got some solid answers on some things even if some were disappointing answers. 

*Yes, I know I haven't bought FC II yet, I wait until the first aircraft release is imminent before I buy.

I do not mind spending the money on FC 2. But I think I will restrict any purchase both in DCS , MS and GB. Simply because if it do not make sense for my interest , I won't  buy. GB has moved in favor for fast spit's

and  BF 109's for too long. I rather watch whats next, before I buy anything. DCS I kept interest in choppers, jets not do much. WW2 not at all. So I buy Hind and Kiowa nothing more. MS well have not seen anything that really intreague me. So I stick with what I got. 

None of them has done anything wrong, it simply just not my cup of tea

4 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

I do not mind spending the money on FC 2. But I think I will restrict any purchase both in DCS , MS and GB. Simply because if it do not make sense for my interest , I won't  buy. GB has moved in favor for fast spit's

and  BF 109's for too long. I rather watch whats next, before I buy anything. DCS I kept interest in choppers, jets not do much. WW2 not at all. So I buy Hind and Kiowa nothing more. MS well have not seen anything that really intreague me. So I stick with what I got. 

None of them has done anything wrong, it simply just not my cup of tea

Surprised you're not interested in the Mossie, I thought that would be a winner with you. 

5 hours ago, DBFlyguy said:

Yeah, it's a bummer.  This is only going to hurt them in the end. There are currently a whopping total of 7 payware campaigns for sale...how long has Great Battles been around again???... If the mission editor was a bit more user friendly like the DCS one, they'd probably have more users stepping up to make more campaigns which would lead to more opportunity to sale payware campaigns..ie more PROFIT.  

You are entirely correct. Fantastic flightsim(!) but weak content and content creation.

Not only would I be willing to pay for a good in-game ME, but I would then buy BoN and the ground vehicles they are making. But as it stands, I cannot put even one plane where I want it without shutting the game down, opening a separate program to place the plane, shutting that program down, and then re-starting the flightsim. Yeah, that's gonna happen. 

On the plus side, the QMB might get some life shoved into it. That only took, what... seven-years? :coffee:

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, DBFlyguy said:

imminent

Having not messed with the DCS editor yet, here's what I understand thus far.

To do something very simple, i.e. get a plane on a map, place some enemies, go fly and shoot - VERY simple.

On the other hand, to produce something at the level of say Hell Hawks, meaning complex triggers, voice comms, maybe some randomized logic thrown in etc etc...then the DCS editor get's leaps and bounds more complex, needing Moose Framework/Lua knowledge. Again, I haven't messed with it at this juncture, but from talking to some other designers and doing a bit of poking around, that's my impression. I could be utterly incorrect.

BTW...look at your post/upvote average. :good:

On 4/5/2021 at 1:55 PM, CanadaOne said:

I will confirm that we Canadians are a horrible, horrible people. :biggrin:

One of you hockey puck-slinging dick-heads rear-ended me, then turned around and screetched away the last time I was in Vancouver BC.

Awful, awful people. :salute:

Edited by Gambit21
  • Upvote 2

Got three missions under my belt in Operation Cage the Bear.

Certainly more complex than the previous campaigns I have done. I have a wingman to deal with and task , also in addition to clearing out some enemy air had to call in strikes once that was successfully done. So it is not just me out there any more. And of course to get mission complete have to return to carrier for a successful trap. Last mission had a Case III landing where I did not even see the deck till practically on top of it - got it first try though, it was a rush.

I am enjoying it though as I am learning more things now as I go. Also glad I have Voice Attack with Vaicom Pro as that is coming in real handy now.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Gambit21 said:

To do something very simple, i.e. get a plane on a map, place some enemies, go fly and shoot - VERY simple.

On the other hand, to produce something at the level of say Hell Hawks, meaning complex triggers, voice comms, maybe some randomized logic thrown in etc etc...then the DCS editor get's leaps and bounds more complex, needing Moose Framework/Lua knowledge. Again, I haven't messed with it at this juncture, but from talking to some other designers and doing a bit of poking around, that's my impression. I could be utterly incorrect.

One of you hockey puck-slinging dick-heads rear-ended me, then turned around and screetched away the last time I was in Vancouver BC.

I know, isn't it great! :biggrin:

My post upvote average? I'm going to assume it's either very good or very bad and one of the two makes you happy. 

I do not have your level of mission building expertise, but I have built literally thousands of missions over the years, most them simple (like myself). But each one is the flight I want to fly. That's the key. I just want to have fun. If I want to work, I'll go to work. At least I get paid for that.

Our greatness lies in our self-awareness: total dickheads. :tease:

• Haha 2
12 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

My post upvote average? I'm going to assume it's either very good or very bad and one of the two makes you happy. 

Was addressing Flyguy with that one. :)

Edited by Gambit21
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

You are entirely correct. Fantastic flightsim(!) but weak content and content creation.

Not only would I be willing to pay for a good in-game ME, but I would then buy BoN and the ground vehicles they are making. But as it stands, I cannot put even one plane where I want it without shutting the game down, opening a separate program to place the plane, shutting that program down, and then re-starting the flightsim. Yeah, that's gonna happen. 

On the plus side, the QMB might get some life shoved into it. That only took, what... seven-years? :coffee:

I hadn't even noticed you hadn't pre-ordered BoN 😔 The Spit XIV, Typhoon IB and Mossie didn't get those historical RCAF juices flowing? I've definitely have my qualms with how things are currently going with Great Battles too but I couldn't pass up a Normandy map on top of the P-47D-22, P-51B, Typhoon IB and Mossie.  But I see you did get Tank Crew so we even each other out I guess LOL.

2 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Yeah, I've played around with both mission editors and unfortunately the Great Battles one is just so dense.  You definitely earned more than a few free beers making Hell Hawks with it! I hope you eventually decide to do another Bodenplatte or maybe even a Normandy campaign somewhere down the road, I know its got to be a tedious process though. 

The DCS editor can definitely be tricky too but it just so much more intuitive all around.  Maybe someone will eventually make some online/Youtube tutorials on mission making in Great Battles, it definitely could use it.  The Great Battles mission editor honestly reminds me of the ARMA mission editor which really dense too but luckily there are quite a few tutorials available now for it now.

I hadn't noticed my post/upvote average but I guess I'm doing ok on these forums 🙂 The crowd here in general is pretty easy going fun to converse with except for a few trolls which I just put on "mute" when I run across them anyway LOL

24 minutes ago, DBFlyguy said:

I hadn't even noticed you hadn't pre-ordered BoN 😔 The Spit XIV, Typhoon IB and Mossie didn't get those historical RCAF juices flowing? I've definitely have my qualms with how things are currently going with Great Battles too but I couldn't pass up a Normandy map on top of the P-47D-22, P-51B, Typhoon IB and Mossie.  But I see you did get Tank Crew so we even each other out I guess LOL.

I've kind of given up buying stuff. The ME is useless to me and the QMB is old cold coffee. This sim needs some serious! work as far as single player content creation goes. And the idea that we should resort to 3rd party out-of-game programs to build missions - as was recently suggested - is little more than the sim accepting defeat and mediocrity. Doesn't really inspire me to part with my money.

On the other hand, I gladly pre-order stuff at DCS because they make it easy and fun for me to build my flights the way I want to fly them. As soon as IL2 figures out that little bit of flightsim logic, they can have more of my money too.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

I've kind of given up buying stuff. The ME is useless to me and the QMB is old cold coffee. This sim needs some serious! work as far as single player content creation goes. And the idea that we should resort to 3rd party out-of-game programs to build missions - as was recently suggested - is little more than the sim accepting defeat and mediocrity. Doesn't really inspire me to part with my money.

On the other hand, I gladly pre-order stuff at DCS because they make it easy and fun for me to build my flights the way I want to fly them. As soon as IL2 figures out that little bit of flightsim logic, they can have more of my money too.

Yeah DCS also has some really good single player campaigns, granted some are payware but they are done so well. I have been doing some with the Hornet and having a blast with it.

I know we have talked about it in the past, but to me IL-2 really shines in single player action, what with Career Mode, PWCG, and some scripted Campaigns.

Lot of single player goodness there.

4 minutes ago, dburne said:

Yeah DCS also has some really good single player campaigns, granted some are payware but they are done so well. I have been doing some with the Hornet and having a blast with it.

I know we have talked about it in the past, but to me IL-2 really shines in single player action, what with Career Mode, PWCG, and some scripted Campaigns.

Never been a campaign flyer. I find that many of the missions tend to be tedious, and often as not it's just not the flight I want. But I can certainly appreciate that others like the setup, the sense of continuity, and the story presented. And I would not say that IL2 lacks single player content, but that it lacks single player content creation. There is a lot to do, but the person flying has few options to make his own flight, as in;  "I want a plane there and some AAA there." At least options that aren't tedious and/or convoluted.

Building missions, easy or complex, is a huge part of the combat flightsim experience. For some reason, it's just an afterthought here and will likely remain so. We might see a better QMB, god willing, but that alone took seven-years(?). For my part, I find it very odd that the sim has progressed to much and yet in one vital area remains stunningly behind the times.

21 hours ago, Archie said:

Surprised you're not interested in the Mossie, I thought that would be a winner with you. 

Yes it is a winner. But I have too many planes I do not use. Several month I sat in a winner named P47  

20 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

to produce something at the level of say Hell Hawks, meaning complex triggers, voice comms, maybe some randomized logic thrown in etc etc...then the DCS

I told you, it is the level of complexity that decide difficulty.

I use the editor to change aircraft on existing missions. That is very easy. Missions in campaigns, many of them extremely well made. All you do "click" and you can test it with another  ac

I TOLD YOU ! In your level of missionbuilding. DCS will be a handful

4 hours ago, dburne said:

Oilfield campaign with good voiceactors is just phenomenal 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
52 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

Oilfield campaign with good voiceactors is just phenomenal 

Is it? I bought it during a sale but haven't flown it. I have though a few times to start it.

I occasionally get into a helicopter mood but anytime I do, when stepping back into a plane I'm immediately reminded how much more fun fixed wing is. Compared to helicopters where my predominant thought during the entire flight is "DON'T DIE, DON'T DIE..."

(Which is very similar to my brain activity when I'm skiing)

Based on it's historical importance and the good model in DCS, I really want to get into the Mi-8, but it seems like the worst possible mixture of "DON'T DIE" combined with "school bus".

And I know some people like sling loading, but that seems as fun to me as trying to walk a few blocks with a milk jug on my head without spilling.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, LuseKofte said:

I use the editor to change aircraft on existing missions. That is very easy.

That's one of the key selling points for me with the DCS. How does a mission run with a P-51? Try it a few times and then load up a P-47. Then add a bit more AAA and go back to the P-51. It's the quick and easy changes, everything the way you want it, fast and easy. If that feature was unavailable, I would only spend a fraction of the money there that I now do. 

And with 2.7 and the new Clouds! coming hopefully next week, it's just going to be better. :cool: