2 minutes ago, DBFlyguy said:

Radio comms in general is much better in DCS compared to the current version of IL2, you can interact more with your wingman/flight in DCS than you currently can in IL2.  The drawback though is the radio calls are more aligned with modern day-ish radio procedures instead of WWII era-ish comms. 

IL2 needs to bring back the robust comms that they had in 1946, those were great and actually useful.

Yeah I only use IL-2 for WWII myself and rarely use the comms in IL-2. In fact with PWCG I always make sure I am not the flight lead for that reason.

For DCS and the jets/choppers I use Vaicom Pro with Voice Attack. Very immersive. No need to use the radio menus.

But I can't comment on how it does with WWII planes.

2 hours ago, DBFlyguy said:

IL2 needs to bring back the robust comms that they had in 1946, those were great and actually useful.

This has been asked for many times... I hope it's on the 'to do' list...

Mossie seems to be almost ready.

I'm tempted but also a bit hesitant to get it. I love the P-47 and the channel map but the AI is so absurd, that it just ruins all the fun. I have to limit myself to non-combat sorties, like taking a vintage car out on Sundays.

The enemy AI just pulls ridiculous maneuvers and the 88s can pick out any low flying plane that is going faster than their traverse speed. The only good thing about their AI is that by cheating they can keep really tight formations which looks good.

Having another play through of the original Serpents Head Campaign.

The author added the Super Carrier for it - the Harry Truman, so am enjoying it again with ops based off the SC now.

Great fun especially as I now know what I am doing with the weapons for the most part.

I just love blowing stuff up! And having to complete a successful trap upon return for the mission to even count adds nicely to the pucker factor.

He is adding the Super Carrier to the Serpents Head 2 campaign also but that one goes through ED as it is payware and waiting for version 2.7 of DCS to drop.

Edited by dburne
32 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

That is in reality what I do, and Mossie will be great for that

Exactly! Gonna work up some beautiful scenery with the new Clouds! and some mountains and get the lighting just right and just fly for the fun of it.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, dburne said:

Really looking forward to the new clouds in 2.7.

Hopefully they are still on track for end of month.

I hope so. They've been showcasing them often in videos so they must be in some good shape on some level. 

This week, let it be so. :rolleyes:

I am curious, are there any MP servers that don't show own plane in F10 map? So far it seems that even the more realistic-minded servers, like Blue Flag, still show your own plane in F10 map, which kind of makes realistic navigation irrelevant.

2 hours ago, Robli said:

I am curious, are there any MP servers that don't show own plane in F10 map? So far it seems that even the more realistic-minded servers, like Blue Flag, still show your own plane in F10 map, which kind of makes realistic navigation irrelevant.

Storm of War has no Icons on F10

On 3/21/2021 at 1:18 PM, LuseKofte said:

That is in reality what I do, and Mossie will be great for that

Yep, that's my plan. In fact I hardly ever shoot or bomb anything in DCS, just love the flying aspect.

Edited by Archie
  • Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Hoots said:

Realists are such downers... :)

Well, the patch status page has been updated today....

BIGNEWY

• ED Community Manager
  • BIGNEWY
  • ED Team
  • 25797 posts

Stable Version

Currently version number: DCS 2.5.6.61527.3

Next update: To be announced

Open Beta Public testing build

Currently version number: DCS 2.5.6.61527.3 Open Beta 

Next update: Planned 31st March 2021 ( subject to change )

-

Thank you

6 hours ago, Archie said:

Yep, that's my plan. In fact I hardly ever shoot or bomb anything in DCS, just love the flying aspect.

I do a lot of just-flying-for-fun in DCS. Such a wide variety of planes and choppers and terrains and airfields. There's a lot of fun to be had.

But, I mean, you know... "KABOOM!"  It's gotta happen sometimes. :music:

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, CanadaOne said:

I do a lot of just-flying-for-fun in DCS. Such a wide variety of planes and choppers and terrains and airfields. There's a lot of fun to be had.

But, I mean, you know... "KABOOM!"  It's gotta happen sometimes. :music:

Well you know, sometimes I press the button...

4 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

Looks like we're finally getting the ATFLIR pod!

On another note, DCS seems to attract all of the talented video makers, this is so freaking cool if you haven't seen it already:

Edited by DBFlyguy
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, dburne said:

Oh great yet more weapon modes to learn for the Hornet!

The Hornet is going to be a weeks-long project I'm sure. I've already clumsily handled several of the smart munitions, but after not flying the F-18 for a while I've forgotten most of it. But I did manage to get a decent HOTAS and Voice Attack setup and could work the MFDs and HMCS adequately. But I've forgotten most of that as well. I just ordered a mega-mouse with beaucoup buttons (should be here tomorrow, after today's 2.7 update :P) and that should help with the billion & one inputs required.

But for the moment, it's Harrier, all Harrier, and nothing but Harrier. Short of a cold start, which I have no interest in doing, I've got most of it under control.

1 hour ago, CanadaOne said:

The Hornet is going to be a weeks-long project I'm sure. I've already clumsily handled several of the smart munitions, but after not flying the F-18 for a while I've forgotten most of it. But I did manage to get a decent HOTAS and Voice Attack setup and could work the MFDs and HMCS adequately. But I've forgotten most of that as well. I just ordered a mega-mouse with beaucoup buttons (should be here tomorrow, after today's 2.7 update :P) and that should help with the billion & one inputs required.

But for the moment, it's Harrier, all Harrier, and nothing but Harrier. Short of a cold start, which I have no interest in doing, I've got most of it under control.

FWIW - Vaicom Pro for DCS with Voice Attack is da bomb.

I love cold starting missions in the Hornet. Especially at night using the flashlight to get it going.

@CanadaOne

Cold starting the harrier, is actually incredibly easy, for what its worth.

Regarding relearning stuff on the Hornet,  HARM stuff i don't mind at all, as brings it more in line with the Viper anyway, and what I've already learnt, plus gives better SEAD capabilities. 

I have mixed feelings on the ATFLIR pod, lol. Most of me is happy, as its what the Hornet actually had, but then theres the other part of me, that knows its going to be completely different to operate, and probably have to be learnt from scratch!!!!

21 minutes ago, dburne said:

FWIW - Vaicom Pro for DCS with Voice Attack is da bomb.

I love cold starting missions in the Hornet. Especially at night using the flashlight to get it going.

Vaicom is for talking to wingmen, right? I usually fly solo but I'm wiling to expand my missions a bit.

As for cold starting, I can definitely see how some people would enjoy it. It's a cool tech interaction. I suppose if I tried it I might like it. 

1 minute ago, DD_fruitbat said:

@CanadaOne

Cold starting the harrier, is actually incredibly easy, for what its worth.

Regarding relearning stuff on the Hornet,  HARM stuff i don't mind at all, as brings it more in line with the Viper anyway, and what I've already learnt, plus gives better SEAD capabilities. 

I have mixed feelings on the ATFLIR pod, lol. Most of me is happy, as its what the Hornet actually had, but then theres the other part of me, that knows its going to be completely different to operate, and probably have to be learnt from scratch!!!!

Morning,

I might try a Harrier start. Or should I say I'll watch a video tutorial about a Harrier start. :biggrin: Maybe it really is two-minutes of tech fun and then you're flying the plane you fired up. Yeah, I guess I can see the fun/satisfaction in that.

I'm looking forward to jumping back into the Hornet, but I want to go at it in a systematic fashion; a bottle of bourbon dedicated to the process, the laptop with tutorials beside me, and the HOTAS set up right. Should be fun. There's no way I will master the plane, but I definitely want to be able to do more with it than I can now.

49 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Vaicom is for talking to wingmen, right? I usually fly solo but I'm wiling to expand my missions a bit.

As for cold starting, I can definitely see how some people would enjoy it. It's a cool tech interaction. I suppose if I tried it I might like it. 

Wingmen, ATC, Ground Crew, Nine Line, Tankers. Very immersive with no on screen menus to deal with.

Edited by dburne
  • Upvote 1