DCS

carve_gybe

DD_fruitbat

Goodbye TOMCAT,

Hello INTRUDER!

lIjTpbm.jpg

Kidding, Still TOMCAT too.

Seriously looking forward to the A6, even though its a long way away. I'm wondering if they will model a pilot moustache.  

Edit,

Short video, with Jester making me laugh....

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Just flew on the OCG server (australian server), It was dynamic inferno caucaus at night with high wind and rain. Selected F14B off carrier. I've never done that before but holy cow it was cool. Fired up the plane and loaded some AIM54's for CAP.  Took off in pitch black only going off instruments, levelled out at angles 25, clear night sky. it was pretty cool experience. 

Headed for Nails, got a good lock fired two phoenixes, got 1 bogey. More bogeys appeared I started beaming, and got out of dodge back to carrier. Started to land but because i chose Stennis instead of Lincoln I didnt have any of the direction options from ATC. Decided to fly by carrier, only some lights on. Estimated rear of the ship and prepared for final, wind all over the place pitch black, i did two bolters. 3rd time got a perfect line up slightly high, got a 4 wire. 

I've never landed at night on the carrier in game but damn it was nerve racking, I dont know how those guys did it for real. Anyway after my eventful sortie loaded up again, nails appeared again this time F-4's. Took off headed to their bearing, fired 2 AIm54's one hit but ended in a gun fight, watching them dump flares through cloud and the dark was awesome. Got a lock on with the sidewinder, splash bogey 2. 

Hectic fight with the phantoms but i'm still noob with the F-14. Headed back to carrier but decided to land at sochi instead, only 4000lb of fuel left. 

One thing I hate though is Jester is terrible at calling out locks with TWS auto, I can see he has locked on to some radar returns but no idea really. I assume you can just fire Aim54 and hope he's looked them on if I havent called for STT lock?

DD_fruitbat
6 hours ago, Tyberan said:

One thing I hate though is Jester is terrible at calling out locks with TWS auto, I can see he has locked on to some radar returns but no idea really. I assume you can just fire Aim54 and hope he's looked them on if I havent called for STT lock?

If you have Hot trigger and the launch steering cue, he's locked on, if not he isn't. You can tell he's in TWS by the more narrow radar field of view, the wide one means he's in RWS.

f4aDigitalCombatSimulat.jpg

The number on the right of the radar contact is launch order and again, shows he's got a lock, and in which order the missiles will fire with multiple targets.

Currently, there is no way to make Jester cycle them, although thankfully it is coming at some point, as its a pita when there's a few of you flying together, and all your jesters want to lock the same target as priority.....

Edited by DD_fruitbat

Bremspropeller

Is there a way to switch off the IFLOLS-popup? It kinda distracts at night...

Man the Jdam and Jsow's can be a little complex. Looking up all the co-ordinates for the different target areas and entering them is a pitb.

I think part of the problem is the Mission Qualification I am choosing that use them, starts you off in air close to the target area, and much of that info that needs to be input

for the weapons would ideally be entered on the ground before taking off. 

DD_fruitbat
1 hour ago, dburne said:

Man the Jdam and Jsow's can be a little complex. Looking up all the co-ordinates for the different target areas and entering them is a pitb.

I think part of the problem is the Mission Qualification I am choosing that use them, starts you off in air close to the target area, and much of that info that needs to be input

If its starting you to close, slow the procedure down with active pause, and do it like that while your learning, that would be my advice. You know you can slave them directly through the TPod, don't you.

1 hour ago, Bremspropeller said:

Is there a way to switch off the IFLOLS-popup? It kinda distracts at night...

Yes, you can edit a lua file, although an option is coming in the gui soon, apparently already in dev versions.

for now,

If you want to remove the FLOLS overlay which pops in your cockpit just before landing:

- close DCS

- go here C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\tech\Supercarrier\PLATCameraUI

- open FLOLS.lua in admin mod (with Notepad++ for example)

- line 41, replace "FLOLS:setVisible(val)" by "FLOLS:setVisible(false)"

- save, close and restart DCS

And put "false" to "val" to revert

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, DD_fruitbat said:

If its starting you to close, slow the procedure down with active pause, and do it like that while your learning, that would be my advice. You know you can slave them directly through the TPod, don't you.

Yes but this particular mission the Hornet is not equipped with the TPod.

DD_fruitbat
12 minutes ago, dburne said:

Yes but this particular mission the Hornet is not equipped with the TPod.

That's dumb of the qualification mission!

Well second tip would be to map your number pad on your keyboard to your UFC keys, makes typing in co-ordinates much quicker!!!!

You can still use active pause to enter all the co-ordinates though.

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DD_fruitbat said:

That's dumb of the qualification mission!

Well second tip would be to map your number pad on your keyboard to your UFC keys, makes typing in co-ordinates much quicker!!!!

Yeah but that don't works so well in VR lol.

Edited by dburne

DD_fruitbat
6 minutes ago, dburne said:

Yeah but that don't works o well in VR lol.

I do it, just took it bit of muscle memory! 

I have actually toyed with the idea of buying something like this,

71Ycfc0faLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

and mounting it to the right of my joystick for this purpose, they're dirt cheap, 20 pounds on amazon.

Edited by DD_fruitbat

2 hours ago, dburne said:

That’s exactly it.

LuseKofte

Man I better move to forum upstairs . I have not the faintest idea what you guys talks about.

All I got out of it was Jester may or may not have locked, even he say he locked

3 hours ago, dburne said:

Yeah but that don't works so well in VR lol.

This is why I fly more advanced modules without VR . 

But fir those who bother, is this not something voice attack was made for

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

13 hours ago, dburne said:

I sure hope all these hours and hours I am pouring into learning the Hornet helps pay off somewhat in the learning curve of some other jets like the Tomcat.

Like FB said, different gen.

That said, learning the Hornet should pay off for the F-15E, same builder/similar cockpit etc.

10 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

This is why I fly more advanced modules without VR . 

But fir those who bother, is this not something voice attack was made for

Yeah I have Voice Attack with Vaicom Pro for DCS.

DD_fruitbat
15 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Man I better move to forum upstairs . I have not the faintest idea what you guys talks about.

All I got out of it was Jester may or may not have locked, even he say he locked

Well, you can always bypass missiles and just use guns......

😉

• Haha 1

Ok so Rising Squall campaign off the Supercarrier is going to be my first campaign.

Supposed to be pretty good for beginners.

I am tired of trying to learn all this stuff and think I am going to just start this campaign in the next day or two, and learn the rest as I go.

Figure I can take a peek before each mission at the armament the Hornet will be loaded with and do any refreshing of my learning before flying the actual mission.

Might be a better way for me to learn at this point anyway. I am craving some serious action.

I took a peek at the first mission, has us launching off the supercarrier in a thunderstorm - woohoo. Loaded with 88C Harms  and 154c Jsows.

So I will refresh on those two and will be headed off for my first mission here shortly. Finally!

• Like 2

And first mission of Rising Squall under my belt.

I am finally after all this time, flying in a campaign and shooting stuff!!

Took off from supercarrier in heavy thunderstorms - very exciting and my performance in VR was surprisingly good.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

DD_fruitbat
33 minutes ago, dburne said:

And first mission of Rising Squall under my belt.

I am finally after all this time, flying in a campaign and shooting stuff!!

Took off from supercarrier in heavy thunderstorms - very exciting and my performance in VR was surprisingly good.

After you have that under your belt, I can really recommend the Raven 1 campaign, only 3 missions in myself, but got to say, its so far one of, if not the best single player campaign I've ever done with regards to immersion.

F/A-18 Raven One | Baltic Dragon (baltic-dragon.net)

11 minutes ago, DD_fruitbat said:

After you have that under your belt, I can really recommend the Raven 1 campaign, only 3 missions in myself, but got to say, its so far one of, if not the best single player campaign I've ever done with regards to immersion.

F/A-18 Raven One | Baltic Dragon (baltic-dragon.net)

Great to know, I will definitely do that one after this one thanks!

unlikely_spider
22 minutes ago, dburne said:

Great to know, I will definitely do that one after this one thanks!

I can't speak for this particular campaign, but anything with Baltic Dragon's name on it is going to be good. But in my experience with his campaigns, they are hard. You need to know your aircraft pretty well before jumping into one of his.

But yes, I have heard very good things about Raven One and based on my experience with his other work, I'm inclined to believe the superlatives I've read about this one.

4 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

I can't speak for this particular campaign, but anything with Baltic Dragon's name on it is going to be good. But in my experience with his campaigns, they are hard. You need to know your aircraft pretty well before jumping into one of his.

But yes, I have heard very good things about Raven One and based on my experience with his other work, I'm inclined to believe the superlatives I've read about this one.

Yeah I took at look at it and gathered it was going to be for those more experienced players.

I had already purchased it apparently so I will have it when I am ready for it. Maybe after I finish this one if I progress ok.

I am thrilled to just being able to actually start a campaign now. Been a long time coming for me.

On 2/5/2021 at 1:39 PM, CanadaOne said:

Clouds! Clouds! Clouds! Clouds! Clouds! Clouds! Clouds! Clouds! Clouds! Clouds! Clouds! 

And an A-6 would be nice.

A-6 plus an Indo-China map...about as good as it can get.

This will be the sweet spot. More flying, less tech, down in the weeds...go Cole Virgil Cole!!

Most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Edited by Gambit21
  • Like 1

DD_fruitbat
37 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

This will be the sweet spot. More flying, less tech, down in the weeds...go Cole Virgil Cole!!

One of my squad mates expressed a little surprise that I was excited about the A6, but I then pointed out how many bombs that thing can carry!!!

There's a Forrestal carrier incoming, that coupled with the early A model Tomcat, and A6, to have a Vietnam/South China sea map would be amazing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

II/JG17_HerrMurf
50 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Ya' see, Iron Hand is my thing (creepy smile)

• Upvote 1

I need to find that movie...haven't watched it in years.

Tried to buy it on DVD some years ago but at that time it didn't exist.

having a vietnam or SEA map would make sense with the even some of the available modules and from the sounds of future content. But no they will make a falklands island map instead. 

Bremspropeller

I'd also love to get a proper SEA map. But let's face it: Even though there are two airplanes that are half-way correct (MiG-19 and MiG-21bis), that's far from the aircraft that were actually engaged over North Vietnam.

We don't have a single time-correct airplane for a SEA map yet (maybe except the MiG-19/ J-6). And even if we did: A single version won't do.

Just take the F-4. You'd at least need the following major variations to cover the conflict:

- F-4C

- F-4D

- F-4E

- RF-4C

- F-4B

- F-4J

- RF-4B

An that's not even counting the numerous sub-versions (production blocks and field-mods).

And yes, all F-4 versions are different enough to validate their own modelling - the closest probably being the F-4B and C and the Recce versions (even those still had major differences - especially as the conflict dragged on).

The F-4E is probably the only F-4 we'll ever see. And that's going to be a later model slatted version with all kinds of fancy smart weaponry and possibly TISEO, which is barely the same airplane as a 1968 hard-wing, pre-MIDAS IV, dive-toss-only F-4E.

CanadaOne
13 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

An F-104 might be more fun, but... an A-6 and that there map would be sweet indeed. 

But from this point onwards, it's all about the clouds, baby! The new clouds are going to make every plane and map feel new. I'd be hard pressed to think of any addition I would look forward to more than this.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

An F-104 might be more fun...

Nah - The Great Santini didn’t fly the 104. 😝

Woohoo just successfully completed the second mission in Rising Squall using Aim7 and Aim 9 sidewinders.

I think this is a good campaign to help one get comfortable using the weapons , which for me was good timing after spending all that time practicing and trying to learn them.

CanadaOne
5 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Nah - The Great Santini didn’t fly the 104. 😝

Yeah, but Santini wasn't in Star Trek.

The F-104 was. :tease:

22 hours ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

I've had the DVD version for years as Flight of the Intruder is in my top 10 of all time favorite aviation movies.  The real question is WHY ON EARTH is the bluray version $40 😲.... I'd love to get it in HD but not for $40....

I'm stoked for the A-6 intruder.  As long as Heatblur is doing most of the work and ED is just cooperating in name only... It'll be a good module.  The Heatblur Tomcat is still by far the highest quality DCS module out there.  I'm not expecting we'll see an actual "early access" release of the A-6 until Q3 2022 at the earliest but since everyone is on the hype train....

Here's the FPP episode featuring the writer of "Flight of the Intruder", Stephen Coonts which covers the A-6 Intruder:

Bremspropeller

A good investment is the book by Morgan&Morgan (by Schiffer and not 'for the people') and by Rick Morgan (Osprey).

• Thanks 1

Bremspropeller

Just flew the 1v1 mission against the Viper in the Zone 5 campaign. I pretty much got seal clubbed. 😬

5 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

Just flew the 1v1 mission against the Viper in the Zone 5 campaign. I pretty much got seal clubbed. 😬

That sounds about right, especially against a clean Viper.

Got 5 successful missions under my belt now in the Rising Squall campaign.

It is really quite well done and I am thoroughly enjoying it as my first campaign in the Hornet.

I am still learning, I read up on the next mission and the mission loadout, then I go read up on those weapons to refresh some of my memory before taking 

the mission on and that really helps. So I am still learning but at least I am able to do so now whilst flying a campaign which has been my goal all along.

Who knows with any luck I may someday be able to fly in a campaign as the flight leader. Although I am much more comfortable in a following role rather than a leader role.