DCS

carve_gybe

AndyJWest
1 hour ago, Hoots said:

Anyone can crash onto a big target, it takes skill to crash onto a small one. 

Indeed. My latest Harrier landing. 😳

Screen-210116-185615.png

I've actually been getting better at landing on the Tarawa. I think what happened this time was that I came in with a little too much forward speed, and pulled back on the stick to slow down. Only I overdid it, which meant that by the time I was an the deck I was moving backwards.

Forward nozzle and full thrust didn't help here, for obvious reasons, so I tried taking off again vertically. Which didn't work either. I think the gear was tangled in the deck or something, and by the time I realised I was rolling over, it was too late. Buried myself at sea, thereby saving the U.S. Marines the trouble. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 3

=VARP=Ribbon

With game engine overhaul (Vulkan API and multithreading), Mossie and if they add a bomber to axis...DCS Normandy could be the right place to be!

🤞🤞

• Upvote 1

CanadaOne
33 minutes ago, =VARP=Ribbon said:

With game engine overhaul (Vulkan API and multithreading), Mossie and if they add a bomber to axis...DCS Normandy could be the right place to be!

🤞🤞

Don't forget the clouds! :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

DD_Arthur
55 minutes ago, =VARP=Ribbon said:

🤞🤞

Don’t forget the recent “fifty per cent performance increase” that turned out to be a claim based on an agricultural subsidy 😃

• Haha 2

=VARP=Ribbon
40 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Don’t forget the recent “fifty per cent performance increase” that turned out to be a claim based on an agricultural subsidy 😃

Lol😂, didn't heard of that....i don't follow it closely, just heard about this "roadmap" few days ago (even i own dcs Normandy, Spit and p51).

It would be nice to have ww2 sim with decent engine that can handle 16+ planes in scenery without crashing.....ohh🤷

CanadaOne
10 hours ago, =VARP=Ribbon said:

It would be nice to have ww2 sim with decent engine that can handle 16+ planes in scenery without crashing.....ohh🤷

I know of one, but it's ME is terrible. :happy:

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

There are several dotted around my neighbourhood. For the most part they were the home of USN Liberators on anti-submarine patrols and hence long abandoned.

Whats remarkable about them is how Mother Nature and local farmers have managed to reclaim them.  They’re still there, just buried.

It’s remarkable what you can do if you spread enough cow shit around.

Back in the day there were a few scant remains of a PBY-4Y1 Liberator on the Moors above Manchester at a place named Broken Ground on the OS Maps . Its home base was Dunkeswell but that was fog bound so it diverted up the coast to Southampton, and that was fog bound, so it ended up in East Anglia, seemingly low on fuel so the crew bailed after setting the AP. The engines spluttered back into life and it took a new direction, ending up over Mossley where one engine finally gave and it started to circle until it hit the moors.  It had a full load of mines apparently but the crash landing was very shallow so it stayed up there pretty much intact well into the 50s until a farmer dragged it off for scrap.   A couple of its engines and undercarriage used to be easy finds but I think "collectors" have dragged those off now to. 

• Thanks 1

DD_Arthur

Joseph Kennedy Jr. - old man Joe’s eldest son - the man groomed to be President,  was based at Dunkeswell when he volunteered to fly the Anvil mission that killed him. His robot B24 filled with twenty thousand pounds of torpex exploded over Suffolk whilst on it’s way to a U boat pen.

• Like 1

LuseKofte

I feel I should say something about the Gazelle. 

I can remember saying I did not like it. 

In fact I do like it, just not operational. 

It is my preferred chopper for  improving my chopper skills. Unlike them others it got a very good  power to weight ratio. Very responsive and easy to overcompensate. I always try to fly it on the borderline if my capability to control it. As always I do not take its FM seriously, Isimply like to fly it, if it is realistic or not is not up to my judgement.

I try to stop it and hoover after almost loosing control. I always at some point f**k up because of lack of consentration. This flight is done this morning. For some reason I woke up 4 o' clock and had for that reason time available. 

And I messed it up. This is first flight direct taped with VR. Not edited.  I tried to keep my head still during the fligh

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

"Several words that have just cost me money..."

SHHHHH!

YUP - I saw that

In fact I do like it,

BUGGER

It is my preferred chopper for  improving my chopper skills.

STOP

Unlike them others it got a very good  power to weight ratio. Very responsive and easy to overcompensate. I always try to fly it on the borderline if my capability to control it. As always I do not take its FM seriously, Isimply like to fly it, if it is realistic or not is not up to my judgement.

NO MORE!

I try to stop it and hoover after almost loosing control. I always at some point f**k up because of lack of consentration. This flight is done this morning. For some reason I woke up 4 o' clock and had for that reason time available. 

YOU'RE ORDER HAS BEEN PAID.....

• Haha 3

How do you guys feel about the IFF function in the Hornet?

To me it seems very inconsistent. Sometimes I can IFF a bogie from 10 nm away, but many times it does not IFF, even when I am closing up and almost crashing into the target right in front of me, in the middle of the radar cone. This is both with head-on and tail aspect and both with AZ/EL or manual interrogation with sensor depress button. Is there some kind of inconsistency/bug about it or are there any hints what could be causing that?

Edit: IFF is turned on, but no AWACS.

Edited by Robli

CanadaOne
1 hour ago, BOO said:

SHHHHH!

YUP - I saw that

In fact I do like it,

BUGGER

It is my preferred chopper for  improving my chopper skills.

STOP

Unlike them others it got a very good  power to weight ratio. Very responsive and easy to overcompensate. I always try to fly it on the borderline if my capability to control it. As always I do not take its FM seriously, Isimply like to fly it, if it is realistic or not is not up to my judgement.

NO MORE!

YOU'RE ORDER HAS BEEN PAID.....

Luse is going to have to write us all a check for the planes and choppers he's made us buy. :P

• Haha 1

AndyJWest

I bought the Gazelle. Tried it briefly. Didn't like it. Flight model just seemed 'off'. Not that I have any idea what a Gazelle should fly like, but if they fly like that, I'd rather fly a Huey.

I should probably give it another go at some point, just for fairness, but meanwhile I've got quite enough DCS study-sim studying to do with the Harrier, Hornet, F-16, and all the other stuff I've shelled out for, and I get the distinct impression that if I try to learn too much, I forget it faster than I learn it. It sometimes seems to me that the sole purpose of modern military avionics is to simplify flying the aircraft just enough so you can then operate unnecessarily complicated weapons systems.

• Like 1

9./JG27golani79

There was a huge discussion regarding the FM of the Gazelle over on the other forums.

The end of discussion was that the FM of the Gazelle will be revisited and updated / redone once their Kiowa was done.

Bremspropeller

You know, you could always get a TOMCAT and be my wingman anytime...

CanadaOne
Just now, Bremspropeller said:

You know, you could always get a TOMCAT and be my wingman anytime...

If you're willing to willing to hug the trees at 250KPH, me and my Blackshark will accompany you. :drinks:

AndyJWest

Yay! Tomcat! Another plane to almost-half-learn to operate! I'll undoubtedly buy it at some point, but for now I've got too much to be going on with as it is. I think my best tactic may be to just learn the A-G systems in the Hornet, and the A-A systems in the F-16. And the not-crashing-in-flames techniques for the Harrier, along with minimal old-fashioned A-G weapons so I've got an excuse to fly it. The aircraft may be multifunctional, but my brain isn't... 😧

As for the Blackshark, I had a love-hate relationship with it, mostly due to the weird autopilot. 

CanadaOne
51 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

As for the Blackshark, I had a love-hate relationship with it, mostly due to the weird autopilot. 

In Russia, autopilot turns you on. :cool:

• Haha 2

Bremspropeller

Andy, have you considered the MiG-21? It's a hard airplane to operate competently against more modern airplanes, but it's ducktons of fun just zipping around.

Another cool airplane is the Jeff, but I just haven't spent enough time on it to effectively start it up.

Both in action here:

Edited by Bremspropeller

DD_fruitbat
1 hour ago, CanadaOne said:

If you're willing to willing to hug the trees at 250KPH, me and my Blackshark will accompany you. :drinks:

Pfffttt to 250KPH hugging trees. Get yourself a BOMBCAT 

On our way to bomb an airfield with 12 dumb bombs each, hiding from SAMS on our approach, while a couple of other squad mates were flying Hornets doing SEAD ahead of us for the attack run.

Vid will be in 4K and better codec, whenever youtube finally gets around to finish processing it.....

41 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

Andy, have you considered the MiG-21? It's a hard airplane to operate competently against more modern airplanes, but it's ducktons of fun just zipping around.

Another cool airplane is the Jeff, but I just haven't spent enough time on it to effectively start it up.

I have the MiG-21 and concur its lots of fun, once you accept that on take off it tries to kill you. Every time.

The Jeff has never appealed to me, I guess because irl its a poor mans F-16, and I already have that!

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Like 1

AndyJWest
16 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

I tried it briefly in the earlier free-to-play event. Interesting, but not really my sort of aircraft. I think that's the one I described as having a cockpit designed by captured U-Boat builders.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

unlikely_spider
5 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

I tried it briefly in the earlier free-to-play event. Interesting, but not really my sort of aircraft. I think that's the one I described as having a cockpit designed by captured U-Boat builders.

😂 True.

I actually think those early Cold-war-era Soviet cockpits are quite beautiful, with the blue paint, steam gauges galore, antiquated radars, and red lighting. They are quite striking in DCS. But I don't like how they fly unfortunately.

Bremspropeller

The MiG actually flies quite nice now. It's just a bummer to operate and change hands to throw a switch during a vital time of flight.

With a proper HOTAS, that's not one of your issues, however.

The F-5 and Fishbed are both two very nice light "friendly dictator's" aircraft.

It would be cool to have an earlier, sportier MiG-21 version. Like an F-13 or PF/ PFM. They'd have less overall mission-capability, but they'd be even more fun as they are a good deal lighter.

CanadaOne
1 hour ago, DD_fruitbat said:

On our way to bomb an airfield with 12 dumb bombs each, hiding from SAMS on our approach, while a couple of other squad mates were flying Hornets doing SEAD ahead of us for the attack run.

Vid will be in 4K and better codec, whenever youtube finally gets around to finish processing it.....

I do enjoy when someone has a true attachment to an aircraft. It's like your first dog, a love that never leaves you. :happy:

1 hour ago, DD_fruitbat said:

As much as I love the Tomcat there's only one way to deliver 12 dumb bombs and that's with 4 nozzles, one Pegasus engine and no-one bitchin from the cheap seats.

I find the F14 akin to driving a truck down low.

If it dont hover, dont bovver.

Edited by BOO
  • Haha 2

DD_fruitbat
11 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

I do enjoy when someone has a true attachment to an aircraft. It's like your first dog, a love that never leaves you. :happy:

Lol, the F-16 is my favourite in DCS, but more people I fly with have the Tomcat and Hornet, so we're doing a campaign with them in!!!!

8 minutes ago, BOO said:

As much as I love the Tomcat there's only one way to deliver 12 dumb bombs and that's with 4 nozzles, one Pegasus engine and no-one bitchin from the cheap seats.

I find the F14 akin to driving a truck down low.

If it dont hover, dont bovver.

I must make more effort to learn the systems in the Harrier, have it and can fly it, but haven't done weapons on it yet.

Also, that was 150 miles each way, not sure I'd want to try that in a heavily laden harrier going treetop all the way..... Fuel might be an issue compared to the Bombcat!

Edited by DD_fruitbat

AndyJWest

To be honest, the F-16 seems a bit bland to me. And the absence of a canopy frame makes me feel like I'm flying the Fokker Eindecker from RoF.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, DD_fruitbat said:

I must make more effort to learn the systems in the Harrier, have it and can fly it, but haven't done weapons on it yet.

And therein lies the beauty. Pretty much all its teccy systems are nerfed to one degree or another, making dumb bombing the only truly enjoyable option. And that can be set up with (mostly) a few switches.

6 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

To be honest, the F-16 seems a bit bland to me. And the absence of a canopy frame makes me feel like I'm flying the Fokker Eindecker from RoF.

It has its charms but can feel a little sterile. The Mig, Harrier and Tomcat are the ones that feel most alive to me. And out of those its the harrier that wins my heart. 

• Haha 1

DD_fruitbat
13 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

Horses for courses....

I love the design of the F-16, and for me personally I find it by far the most logical and straightforward workflow to do anything in, much more well thought out than say the Hornet where everything is just that little bit (sometimes more than a little bit) more complicated. But I like them all in different ways.

I also happen to think that the F-16 along with the MiG 29 are 2 of the most visually stunning looking jets ever made!

And that would be a very quick Eindecker...... I love the lack of canopy framing!

Edited by DD_fruitbat

AndyJWest

The F-16 is a looker, certainly. And you are probably right about workflow. As far as the Hornet goes, there always seems to be at least one more step to doing anything blowing-stuff-up wise than really ought to be necessary. 

@ Boo: Agree, the Harrier 'techy systems' seem buggy to the extent that trying to use them gets to be a chore for me. Hence me only using it with dumb bombs and rockets. Or occasionally for chasing unarmed civilian aircraft for a spot of Geneva-convention-busting. 😳

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

Yay! Tomcat! Another plane to almost-half-learn to operate! I'll undoubtedly buy it at some point, but for now I've got too much to be going on with as it is. I think my best tactic may be to just learn the A-G systems in the Hornet, and the A-A systems in the F-16. And the not-crashing-in-flames techniques for the Harrier, along with minimal old-fashioned A-G weapons so I've got an excuse to fly it. The aircraft may be multifunctional, but my brain isn't... 😧

That is basically where I am now with the Hornet.

I have progressed through learning takeoffs and landings off the Super Carrier, navigating with waypoints, tacan, using ILCS for carrier traps.

Many hours I have put in just for this alone. Now I am trying to tackle learning how to use the weapons systems. This is a bump in the road that has already stalled me at least a couple of times, where I go to other games for a while. But I am intent on finally being able to fly combat in the Hornet - hopefully I can get there at some point this year.

Too many sims and games, too little time.

• Upvote 1

LuseKofte

I take pride in learning all things in a plane I fly. This is why I threw all that away in any fixed wing module in DCS.  It takes a long time learning sand even longer to make it stick. 

I only achieved my ambitions in the KA 50, Mi 8 and Huey, sort of in the Gazelle rest is just joyrides

Hope the Mossie is released soon, because I've totally lost my flight sim mojo. Hoping zipping around at low level in that thing will get it back.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I take pride in learning all things in a plane I fly. This is why I threw all that away in any fixed wing module in DCS.  It takes a long time learning sand even longer to make it stick. 

I only achieved my ambitions in the KA 50, Mi 8 and Huey, sort of in the Gazelle rest is just joyrides

Id love to have that kinda discipline. This mornng Ive noodled the F14, Harrier, KA50, Mi 8 and Hornet. All badly. Perhaps MP would help me focus on something but......its MP. 

• Upvote 1

Bremspropeller

Screen_210121_202123.thumb.jpg.ff8afaee50db5cd015fce355da5dde33.jpg

Flying as a two-ship is lots of fun.

Having two Tomcats with four people is really, really great.

Working on the RIO-part...

Screen_210121_203331.thumb.jpg.deb89dbb86e4a6254006dbe5db117cbe.jpg

The caucasian mountain range is shrouded in heavy overcast today. better not get too excited about getting too low...

Screen_210121_203927.thumb.jpg.7f6472afea62c6639755924026baba18.jpg

Mt. Elbrus peeking through the clouds in the distance...

• Like 3

busdriver
On 1/20/2021 at 3:22 PM, AndyJWest said:

We called it "the magic carpet ride." The wind noise sounds the same on approach or going Mach...kinda sorta. Compared to the Phantom where the cockpit got ungodly LOUD in AB the faster you were...at 600+ KIAS if the other guy didn't have his intercom volume turned all the way up (or nearly so) you had to yell into your mask to be heard.

• Like 2

RedKestrel
1 hour ago, busdriver said:

We called it "the magic carpet ride." The wind noise sounds the same on approach or going Mach...kinda sorta. Compared to the Phantom where the cockpit got ungodly LOUD in AB the faster you were...at 600+ KIAS if the other guy didn't have his intercom volume turned all the way up (or nearly so) you had to yell into your mask to be heard.

Steppenwolf, is that you???

• Haha 1

I am finally, finally! starting to learn the weapons systems of the Hornet. After all this time going back and forth with it.

Today I made some nice progress with the sidewinders and guns. Shot a few planes down I did woohoo. Those AIM 9X's are so fun to use. Not too complex either.

Next up - the AAMRAMs and some bombing action.  I already found out quick I best be learning the countermeasures systems lol.

I just hope all this eventually sinks into my head and I can do it on the fly so to speak.

Edited by dburne
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, busdriver said:

Otis...Otis...OTIS!.....OOOHHTISSSS!!!

• Haha 1

unlikely_spider
18 minutes ago, dburne said:

I am finally, finally! starting to learn the weapons systems of the Hornet. After all this time going back and forth with it.

Today I made some nice progress with the sidewinders and guns. Shot a few planes down I did woohoo. Those AIM 9X's are so fun to use. Not too complex either.

Next up - the AAMRAMs and some bombing action.  I already found out quick I best be learning the countermeasures systems lol.

I just hope all this eventually sinks into my head and I can do it on the fly so to speak.

Though it's a bit more modern than my tastes generally lead me, I would like to learn the Hornet eventually, just for two reasons: it's a damn sexy plane, and the new Baltic Dragon campaign. I may learn it just for that - BD makes crazy good campaigns.

But I don't yet have the Hornet, nor the carrier. So it's over $100 just for me to be able to play the campaign, lol