1 hour ago, AndyJWest said:

If you learn to fly on the KA-50, you'll become a competent KA-50 pilot. If you learn on the Huey, you'll learn skills that are relevant to more or less any normal single-rotor helicopter. The KA-50 is too much of an oddball to be much use for that.

Yeah, you're probably right on that. From a helo purist point of view - and I don't mean that in a bad way - I'm sure the Huey is the way to go.

But the Blackshark is still a lot of fun. It's like a... Harrier had a baby with an SU-25 and it was born with rotors.

17 hours ago, dburne said:

OMG  the AH 64D.

Bring it on baby!

Vulkan API and Multithreading - Hoping that helps VR especially.

I will buy it.  But I am no fan of those high tech glass pits. I want Hind

7 hours ago, BOO said:

respectof which helo to try - I wish i had bought the Mi8 a long time ago but I got put off by lots of forum comments about its difficulty in the hover. I dont

It is not difficult to hoover. But it is easy to get stalled. People have problems with it when slowing down and get into hoover. 

You explained why you had no problems. Nice and easy does it

7 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

That was a pretty cool video Luse👍

I never really manage to replicate that cool smooth catch-up again. So I guess it was pure luck

2 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I will buy it.  But I am no fan of those high tech glass pits. I want Hind

We might get it by June if I read correctly. It definitely has character. And looking forward to the eye candy improvements on the Blackshark.

I'll (probably) buy the Apache, it might be too cool to avoid. 

1 hour ago, CanadaOne said:

(probably) buy the Apache, it might be too cool to avoid. 

I will buy it ,despite it's relative young age, it's already a icon, but too me , like 109's got little to no charm. They simply are effective killing machines 

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte
3 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I will buy it ,despite it's relative young age, it's already a icon, but too me , like 109's got little to no charm. They simply are effective killing machines 

I'll shoot it down it my Blackshark, then I'll consider buying it just out of sympathy. :cool:

57 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

I'll shoot it down it my Blackshark, then I'll consider buying it just out of sympathy. :cool:

good luck with that given the current state of the Shkval against air targets 🙂

7 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

When I was seven, I had fun with cardboard boxes. Now I'm sixty-four I can play on a computer instead. 

I got out of the cardboard box game when the scalping and supply problems started and every new patch of grass on the hill broke something else on it.

Then i got into Airfix Flightdeck with the hope that, one day, I would be able to berate a 64 year old  and regal all with tales of 3 wiring a yellow plastic phantom every time (a lie anyone who had Flightdeck will spot as the bugger always came back down the wire sideways or backwards). 

Edited by BOO
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, BOO said:

Then i got into Airfix Flightdeck with the hope that, one day, I would be able to berate a 64 year old  and regal all with tales of 3 wiring a yellow plastic phantom every time (a lie anyone who had Flightdeck will spot as the bugger always came back down the wire sideways or backwards). 

Top of my wishlist as a kid but never got it :( my cousins did and I've secretly hated them ever since.

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, Enceladus said:

a cold hearted individual with a heart that's as cold as the OAT at 20,000 feet, and perhaps much, much colder.

yeah.....no offence.....

Mind you thats one heck of a post signature...

Edited by BOO
2 hours ago, BOO said:

I remember wanting Airfix Flightdeck  so badly as it looked so good on TV and I was so excited when it got for Christmas, and I was so bored of it by lunch on boxing day. Every now and then I would get it out again in the hope it really would be exciting this time but still it came down as you say sideways or backwards, but even worse I would now have to first spend ages trying to unwind the wire as I hadn't bothered to put it away properly the last time.

But I can boast that when I was about 9 my brother and I would take our old Airfix model planes out in the garden and shoot them with an air rifle and on the logic of Enceladus that should make me the deadliest of all gunners when the new anti aircraft guns come out, sadly I doubt it will turn out that way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

BremspropellerCyrus? I didn't know they'd locked her up.

Oh, Cyprus. As in the Mediterranean Island. I need new glasses. Don't know when its getting added to the map, but it'll be useful to add a bit of variety to middle-eastern pretend-warfare. The DCS WW2 crowd will no doubt use it as a pretend-Malta too.

4 minutes ago, Monksilver said:

...when I was about 9 my brother and I would take our old Airfix model planes out in the garden and shoot them with an air rifle ...

Back when I was that age (off he goes again...) it was still considered appropriate to sell explosives to pre-teens, so our preferred method of destruction generally involved fireworks. That I managed to avoid having to have the upper turret from a 1/72 scale Short Stirling surgically removed from my eyeball is entirely down to luck.

Fun times...

Edited by AndyJWest
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
17 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

...it was still considered appropriate to sell explosives to pre-teens...

Back in the early 80s a couple of my class mates when about 13-14used to make their own explosives from items bought from the chemist. They got more adventurous and started wrapping metal sheets round their concoctions. One of them was keenly reading the book on explosives and how to plant them his father had left over from his time in the Royal Engineers. Unfortunately all this innocent fun had to stop after one of them left a 2 foot crater in his parents garden and destroyed their greenhouse. All he got was a telling off, I suppose today he'd have been sent to Belmarsh.

Edited by Monksilver

It certainly will.

Cyprus is a clusterduck of international politics and relations and hence comes with a variety of factions on the island.

There's a post-1974 turkish invasion zone,  the Republic of Cyprus (which formally consists of the whole island), there's a UN-mandated DMZ and there's some leftover UK land, too.

Akrotiri is an important RAF airbase and there's the abandonned airfield of Nikosia right inside the DMZ.

Paphos and Larnaca are the resort-airports, feeding Cyprus' tourism industry.

It's in German, but those unfamiliar with the island will get the idea anyway:

%C3%9Cbersichtskarte_Zypern.png

• Like 1

Isn't Cyprus an update to the Syria map?  I should imagine they've added it as it's a major fixed wing staging place for NATO operations over Syria and Iraq.  Not because of a possible but very unlikely modern day conflict on the island itself.  At least I hope not.

My wife was born in the hospital at RAF Akrotiri and what a pain in the backside that's proved to be;

"And where's your place of birth Mrs. Arthur?"

"RAF Akrotiri"

"And where is that Mrs. Arthur?"

"British sovereign territory, Cyprus"

"So you were born in Cyprus Mrs. Arthur.  Are you a British citizen?"

"No I was not born in Cyprus and yes I am a British citizen.  Do you know what British sovereign territory means?"

"......computer says no Mrs. Arthur......"

:wacko:

Mind you, give her a few cardboard boxes and some poster paints and overnight she'll knock-up a Chinese new year dragon for a dozen pre-schoolers that'll have 'em squealing with delight.

• Haha 1
33 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Isn't Cyprus an update to the Syria map?  I should imagine they've added it as it's a major fixed wing staging place for NATO operations over Syria and Iraq.  Not because of a possible but very unlikely modern day conflict on the island itself.  At least I hope not.

You're right.

It just came to my mind how the entire map is several pieces of sheetduckery sewn together.

Most of the conflicts are fairly recent and much of what's currently not actively going on in a hot state isn't too far from the boiling point either.

3 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

Can someone who has Syria and the Harrier let me know if there are any Instant Action missions or other content for the Harrier? I am getting into the Harrier now but don't have that map.

Nothing for Harrier instant action on Syria, Normandy, Channel or Gulf maps in my install (current beta)

1 minute ago, marcost said:

Nothing for Harrier instant action on Syria, Normandy, Channel or Gulf maps in my install (current beta)

Ok, thanks for looking. I haven't really gotten into the mission builder.

41 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

Ok, thanks for looking. I haven't really gotten into the mission builder.

Its very easy to open up instant action missions for other aircraft and change them over to the Harrier if you want, takes minutes. 

I've done it for other aircraft in the past, where I wanted to fly the mission in something else.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, DD_fruitbat said:

Its very easy to open up instant action missions for other aircraft and change them over to the Harrier if you want, takes minutes. 

I've done it for other aircraft in the past, where I wanted to fly the mission in something else.

Oh, interesting 🤔

Do you do that in the mission editor, or externally by editing text files?

Just open the mission in the editor, pick the player flight, change it to the harrier, and save into your missions folder with whatever you want it called. You'll need to make sure the loadout is what you want, but other than that, thats it.

Then go to missions and fly whenever you want.

I f you want any help, PM me.

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Is there a way to put painschemes into another folder than "saved games" (on another disk) and link to that folder with an .ini or something?

I'd like to keep my saved games folder as clean and slick as possible.

8 hours ago, BOO said:

good luck with that given the current state of the Shkval against air targets 🙂

I got out of the cardboard box game when the scalping and supply problems started and every new patch of grass on the hill broke something else on it.

I'll ram the SOB if I have to!

Oh Lordy I am sure I will be spending a good part of the day tomorrow remapping all my Hornet controls to both my new throttle and new grip.

Fun stuff.  Got to get back to my Hornet training soon. Still determined to eventually learn how to fight in that dang thing.

15 minutes ago, dburne said:

Oh Lordy I am sure I will be spending a good part of the day tomorrow remapping all my Hornet controls to both my new throttle and new grip.

Fun stuff.  Got to get back to my Hornet training soon. Still determined to eventually learn how to fight in that dang thing.

New flight gear?

Details, man. Details! :biggrin:

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, CanadaOne said:

New flight gear?

Details, man. Details! :biggrin:

Lol check the hardware sub forum. All details in there.

New Virpil CM3 Throttle.

New VKB Ultimate Metal Grip.

• Upvote 2

ooh noice. I was just watching a review on them the other day and thought they looked awesome. But jeez the cost is high though. 

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, dburne said:

Lol check the hardware sub forum. All details in there.

New Virpil CM3 Throttle.

New VKB Ultimate Metal Grip.

I am a hardware freak myself. I am awaiting a Fulcrum yoke from UK if trade agreement with those isolationist is finalized. Of course they did not manage deliver it before new year. I am not able to fly bombers with a stick. 

Screen_210115_191409.thumb.jpg.caf6e9e213d4c1c1319a2f044a56d1f2.jpg

The Mini Boss looks like he's into serizzle bizzle.

The only thing missing is a cup of hot coffee...

Screen_210115_194815.thumb.jpg.a70608b6d3419008b2afc88476be19a7.jpg

VF-194 "Red Lightning" - one of the shorter lived Tomcat squadrons

Screen_210115_200332.thumb.jpg.1cfba7683fc755924e04d846befd0179.jpg

Hunting Bears.

Screen_210115_214208.thumb.jpg.6da40575dfbb818df82a5581642f50c1.jpg

VF-154 "Black Knights" bropping the bass.

Screen_210115_232946.thumb.jpg.4705198f96d0850bd268b7b1c229ed1f.jpg

VF-84 "Jolly Rogers" ready to launch.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, dburne said:

I so love operating off the super carrier.

Going to be hard to go back to land runways again lol.

I enjoy those Big Azz Concrete Airfields!

Something scenic about them, and just so much fun to land fast movers on.

4 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

I enjoy those Big Azz Concrete Airfields!

Something scenic about them, and just so much fun to land fast movers on.

In other words you suck at carrier landings?

:P

• Haha 3
3 hours ago, dburne said:

In other words you suck at carrier landings?

:P

:tease:Pffffffft!

Actually, I'm pretty good at carrier landings. I did a lot of them in the F-5E prior to owning the F-18 and the Supercarrier. I got good enough to do circuits, landing and taking off right away, do a donut, and come right back in. In the F-18 I don't miss many.

I just like Big Azz Concrete Airfields! They look cool to me. :cool:

Edited by CanadaOne
Because!
  • Like 1
44 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

:tease:Pffffffft!

Actually, I'm pretty good at carrier landings. I did a lot of them in the F-5E prior to owning the F-18 and the Supercarrier. I got good enough to do circuits, landing and taking off right away, do a donut, and come right back in. In the F-18 I don't miss many.

Anyone can crash onto a big target, it takes skill to crash onto a small one. 

• Upvote 1
39 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

There are several dotted around my neighbourhood. For the most part they were the home of USN Liberators on anti-submarine patrols and hence long abandoned.

Whats remarkable about them is how Mother Nature and local farmers have managed to reclaim them.  They’re still there, just buried.

It’s remarkable what you can do if you spread enough cow shit around.

• Haha 2