So playing around a bit more with optical mavs......

Urgent intel just in, special forces observers have just reported in, a helicopter is being prepped to take off, carrying a high value target, can't be allowed to leave. The area is protected by 3 SAM systems and AAA positions, you have around 10 mins from scramble to neutralise the SAM's and disable the helicopter, to allow A 10's to level the rest.

Sure, no problem, i've got a Viper....

Co-ordinates of the SAM's and Helicopter have been uploaded to the Viper (me on the ground in actuality along with Boresighting the mav seeker heads....)

Scramble......

On the way up....

170DigitalCombatSimulat.jpg

fa7DigitalCombatSimulat.jpg

Target area afterwards less than 10 mins after scramble.....

3bDigitalCombatSimulat.jpg

Disabled Helicopter,

225DigitalCombatSimulat.jpg

On the way home,

cfDigitalCombatSimulat.jpg

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Upvote 2

I use smoothing,  I remember that much. I can send you my profile if you want to investigate.

Also why is youtube taking so long to finish processing to 1440p and the decent codec for my vids lately seems to take an age before they become VP09!!!!

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Your internet is being used by eight million lorry drivers trying to phone home.🤭

You should see the roads around here at the moment.....

I can see lorries cueing from my bedroom window for Manston.

Edited by DD_fruitbat
4 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

I bought the Ka-50 in a sale ages ago but haven't even had a go in it yet... Maybe it's time.

It is a sneaky trade. Very interesting system good gps and aiming device. You can ask for and give designated targets. It is good fun. But not careful you won't live long. It got good middles to choose from sink ships or have a arsenal of other

On 12/22/2020 at 10:23 PM, OpticFlow said:

The radar is still bugged on the MiG-21, but the fix is coming with the next update tomorrow.

The detail is that probable will be broken one or two updates latter... what has been happening routinely for several years with this radar. 😜

Radar in the Mig-21 seems pretty worthless anyway.   In Multiplayer (and I gather in real life as well), it seems the only way to use the Mig-21 is with a dedicated human GCI who can get you into visual range.  And the first generation missiles generally aren't worth a damn against maneuvering targets, so that means guns.

Now I'm looking at all the temporarily free-to-try modules, wondering what hangar queen I'm going to blow my money on next 😀

Edited by SeaSerpent
3 hours ago, Sokol1 said:

The detail is that probable will be broken one or two updates latter... what has been happening routinely for several years with this radar. 😜

Tried it yesterday, it worked! I could see and lock targets while flying low. The ground clutter filter also filters out more yellow stuff than before the update.

22 minutes ago, OpticFlow said:

Tried it yesterday, it worked! I could see and lock targets while flying low. The ground clutter filter also filters out more yellow stuff than before the update.

As far as I know the problem wasn't that it wasn't working but that the FPS went down horribly when ground clutter came into play / flying low - may be mistaken though. Haven't tried it recently.

Edited by 9./JG27golani79
3 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

Flew the FW-190-A8 last night and it's a pretty nice, flies really well. Felt bad tearing through those nice looking B-17s, but there it is. It's a mean little plane.

DCS-Fw-190-A-8-05.jpg

Thought I'd buy the K-4 and had no interest in Anton but seems I'm about the get it too. It sounds just fantastic and is just a mean little plane indeed. 

• Like 1
On 12/23/2020 at 11:18 AM, dburne said:

That is well worth it, great chopper to fly combat missions in.

Added bonus is that BS3 wont cost you a liver to upgrade to either when it arrives hopefully. I just hope they sort the limited head movement in the cockpit out one day. 

Im just finishing up creating a mission for a Georgian KA50.  20NM of flying under 25M and over 220km/h (on pain of activating every ZU23 and manpad enroute), weaving through trees to an IP in order to kill an SA10's Search Radar in the 5 minutes you have from arrival before the local search party find, surround and kill you, an S.Ossetian armored attack on the FARP to beat off and a truck bomb. The module is pretty unique in what it can offer in this respect as its the idiot friendly ME.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, BOO said:

Added bonus is that BS3 wont cost you a liver to upgrade to either when it arrives hopefully. I just hope they sort the limited head movement in the cockpit out one day. 

Im just finishing up creating a mission for a Georgian KA50.  20NM of flying under 25M and over 220km/h (on pain of activating every ZU23 and manpad enroute), weaving through trees to an IP in order to kill an SA10's Search Radar in the 5 minutes you have from arrival before the local search party find, surround and kill you, an S.Ossetian armored attack on the FARP to beat off and a truck bomb. The module is pretty unique in what it can offer in this respect as its the idiot friendly ME.  

Good point! Hadn't considered that. I almost bought the A-10C during the last sale. Would have cost me $40 for the plane and then $15 for the upgrade later instead of the $112 I ended up paying.

Steam is giving me a $10 credit on my next purchase so I can get the Ka-50 for $25. With the possible upgrade option, it's a definite buy.

3 minutes ago, Archie said:

Any more news on the Mossie? I've succesfully weaned myself off buying everything released (for most of them to then sit unused) but the Mossie is a definite buy.

There were hints that it might be by Christmas but now January looks to be the soonest. It's possible.

Insta-buy! Take my money.

mosquito-2s.jpg

• Upvote 3
15 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Refresh my memory - it’s been a while.

Aren't all Mavs optical?

The H's are optical with a CCD seeker head, as opposed to say D's with an IR seeker head, and E's with a laser seeker head.

They are more flexible, because you can lock on to heat, but also in area mode to any point via the camera in the seeker head.

If we are being pedantic, then yes every mav is optical in some way, but its how I've heard them being referenced, Optical, IR and Laser.

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Thanks 1

The new damage model, not quite impressive, tbh. CloD DM is miles away.

Also, after flying Spitfire for a while, I'm surprised how many Hispano shells 109s and 190s can withstand. Hopefully they'll tweak it soon.

56 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Is that not a prerequisite to being a flightsimhead? 

No, not at all. One have a idea what level the game is. Like GB , I was disagreeing in the path it took. But once I noticed they did not care about my opinion , I learned to enjoy the things I liked. 

Like DCS, you know it all is beta, getting pissed when you buy a new module and see it is beta. Tells a lot about a person. So to have a slight chance enjoying flight sims , one need to not be pedantic, you need to be opposite

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

No, not at all. One have a idea what level the game is. Like GB , I was disagreeing in the path it took. But once I noticed they did not care about my opinion , I learned to enjoy the things I liked. 

Like DCS, you know it all is beta, getting pissed when you buy a new module and see it is beta. Tells a lot about a person. So to have a slight chance enjoying flight sims , one need to not be pedantic, you need to be opposite

I have a new strategy that allows me to enjoy pretty much all the modules without worrying too much about something that is missing that I never knew about anyhow.

I stopped reading the forums. 

Harrier + iron bombs = happy

KA50 + letting go of the stick when you set trim = happy

Avoiding a SAM without worrying too much about why its as dumb as a brick = happy

1 hour ago, Arthur-A said:

The new damage model, not quite impressive, tbh. CloD DM is miles away.

Also, after flying Spitfire for a while, I'm surprised how many Hispano shells 109s and 190s can withstand. Hopefully they'll tweak it soon.

Wow - the P47 can soak it up - I mean look how far its sunk into the tarmac with the weight of all that lead!

• Upvote 5

I have spent the last couple of days with the Hornet and the Super Carrier.

Doing cold start, taxi to catapult , takeoff. Navigate around a bit, then return and landing on the Super Carrier.

Great fun, getting some decent "good" scores from the LSO.

One would think after learning all the above I should be able to fly a combat mission or campaign. But nooo, not me.

Still have all that to learn ( weapons deployment) and for some reason I seem to struggle learning those.

Maybe someday.

Last landing I did after taxi to parking on the deck and shutting my engines off, I went to exterior view and there I was beside two of the crew members chatting. And in VR with everything life sized, that was pretty surreal. I then watched my wingman land on the carrier as well.

Edited by dburne
41 minutes ago, dburne said:

Doing cold start, taxi to catapult , takeoff. Navigate around a bit, then return and landing on the Super Carrier.

One would think after learning all the above I should be able to fly a combat mission or campaign. But nooo, not me.

Still have all that to learn ( weapons deployment) and for some reason I seem to struggle learning those.

Maybe someday.

Last landing I did after taxi to parking on the deck and shutting my engines off, I went to exterior view and there I was beside two of the crew members chatting. And in VR with everything life sized, that was pretty surreal. I then watched my wingman land on the carrier as well.

What you do is quite enough for me. I enjoy the Tomcat this way. For improved action I do a touch and go, that usually make my LSO eject

1 hour ago, BOO said:

I stopped reading the forums. 

Harrier + iron bombs = happy

KA50 + letting go of the stick when you set trim = happy

Avoiding a SAM without worrying too much about why its as dumb as a brick = happy

Good strategy I await my new usb controller to my new stick before I fly DCS. 

Then I will do some Harrier hops.  I miss it. I got a excellent reserve but messing with the controls make me obnoxious if overdone

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Maybe someday.

I hear ya. With the Hornet I've managed the GPS bombs, fired a few Mavericks, and even laid some kickazz on a ship with the AGM-62, but I have yet to get a handle on the laser guided bombs. And between the Hornet, the A-10C II, and my impending KA-50 purchase, I have a lot to figure out.

Not a bad thing though, I kind of enjoy exploring the details a little bit at a time, when the mood hits me. That's why I like the Nevada map so much. Groom Lake is where I test every system I'm trying to figure out. If I managed to do something successfully, odds are I did it there. 

I find myself gravitate to the I16. I flew some short missions in GB with it and found the urge to fly it in DCS. I am not sure it get better FM or are better in DCS, I just feel more a live in the DCS version. It somehow give you a impression of being in a real one flying it in VR

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Still doing some supercarrier and free flight ops in the Hornet today.

Nice and relaxing.

Been doing some SEAD in the Viper, not quite as relaxing, but my favourite mission profile at the moment.....

Using both HARMS in HAS mode for closer in and RUK mode for stand off against longer range threats.

RUK mode,

2 attack runs and evasion in HAS mode,

I really love the Viper!!!

After that second vid, I still had plenty of fuel so I shot down a couple of Mig 23's just for good measure before landing, what a plane!!!

• Upvote 1

My Christmas present of a tumble drier  32gb of 3600 RAM has made a huge difference to the vr experience, the channel map is now nice and smooth. Need to try fs2020 but want to move that to my other present of a 1tb ssd first. Good Christmas so far :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
17 hours ago, DD_fruitbat said:

Been doing some SEAD in the Viper, not quite as relaxing, but my favourite mission profile at the moment.....

Using both HARMS in HAS mode for closer in and RUK mode for stand off against longer range threats.

This is why I never even tried to learn a compleat weaponsystem on A10 , F 16, F 14 

I have not the faintest idea what this means. 

I see this all the time in GB groups and before when I remembered my Nick name in ed forum

5 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

This is why I never even tried to learn a compleat weaponsystem on A10 , F 16, F 14 

I have not the faintest idea what this means. 

I see this all the time in GB groups and before when I remembered my Nick name in ed forum

I've managed a few on the Harrier and the Hornet, but only a few. I could manage the laser guided bombs pretty well in the Harrier in a mission, no active pause, but they changed the way the targeting works and now it's more difficult. In general, me and Active Pause are good friends.

Just bought the Ka-50. Some modules just grab you and the feel of them comes kind of natural, and the Blackshark is one of them. I've flown it for a few hours and I'm already much, much better in it than in the Huey, which I've had for months. Did some flying on the Syria map and it was great, it's fantastic helicopter map. And there is something stupidly fun about hovering over a target and dropping 500kg bombs straight down.

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

When my new stick get repaired I fly some sorties in Harrier I simply do not bother reassign to my reserve

Did you say you had to send your stick to Poland to get fixed?

You have a complicated life. :biggrin:

On 12/24/2020 at 10:58 AM, DD_fruitbat said:

The H's are optical with a CCD seeker head, as opposed to say D's with an IR seeker head, and E's with a laser seeker head.

They are more flexible, because you can lock on to heat, but also in area mode to any point via the camera in the seeker head.

If we are being pedantic, then yes every mav is optical in some way, but its how I've heard them being referenced, Optical, IR and Laser.

Thanks

Last time I fired one was Falcon 4.0.

• Upvote 1