49 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Yes it is the best jet to fly. Be in and it just is feelgood. My relation with Jester have caused some rio eject incident. I don’t like him. But I can spend some hours just fly in that cockpit. It is extremely nice. 
@Gambit21 When buying it. Take your time setting up controls. Start with controls , undercarrage , hook and flaps. Do not progress further until you can take off and land. A free aircraft is SU 25T worth a shot too. I find myself flying it a lot. 

Thanks.

I'll be stuck with my nose in the editor again before too many more months go by, and it may be 2 more months before I have my CPU and GPU.

So I have a bit to wait still I think.

When I do have DCS stick time, it will be limited at best...but I'm not going to ignore that F-14 and carrier...I just can't!

3 hours ago, CastorTroy said:

It is the best module of any aircraft, on any sim, I have personally experienced. If I could only choose one aircraft to fly, on any sim, If I had to choose just one, It would be the Heatblur F14. Not taking away from any other plane, or any other simulation, or any Devs, It's just that good. IMO.  The module comes with the A, and B variants right now.

NIce.

I think I can actually learn the front seat with even limited stick time (which is always my case)

8 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

Welcome to the Dark Side. :cool:

Grab the A-10A. It's $7.50, insanely easy to manage, and you can BRRRRRRRT!  And they just updated the gun sounds. Very cool. 

All Hail to the BRRRRRRRRT!

DCS-World.jpg

I will eventually I'm sure.

Mossie project will eat up most of my "are you on the computer still/again?" time with the spousal unit.

How I even get a campaign built I don't know.

It's the fact that create some content that I'm able to get another rig built living the with CFO that I do.

Otherwise...dunno. I'd be hard pressed to justify a 2K gaming rig at this juncture.

I used to do "black ops" (new GPU etc off the books)  but after getting busted a few years ago I don't do that anymore. lol

• Upvote 1

It's more or less inevitable that my willpower will run out at some time soon, and I'll get myself the Tomcat too - I was certainly impressed when I tried it briefly during the free-play weeks. It's rather hard to justify, given how much other DCS content I've bought and not really got to grips with yet, but I'll no doubt convince myself I deserve a birthday present or something. And carrier landings are fun - if you define blind panic and a heart rate that probably isn't advisable to someone half my age as 'fun'. If I don't learn to relax a little when trapping, I may well be found dead clutching my HOTAS, in front of a screen reading 'LSO:GRADE:WO _TMRDIC_ _LOIC_ _PIC_ WO(AFU)TL WO(AFU)IC 3PTSIW'. 😉

• Upvote 1
54 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

I will eventually I'm sure.

Mossie project will eat up most of my "are you on the computer still/again?" time with the spousal unit.

How I even get a campaign built I don't know.

It's the fact that create some content that I'm able to get another rig built living the with CFO that I do.

Otherwise...dunno. I'd be hard pressed to justify a 2K gaming rig at this juncture.

I used to do "black ops" (new GPU etc off the books)  but after getting busted a few years ago I don't do that anymore. lol

You will one day BRRRRRT! Everyone must BRRRRRT!

When you do build your new rig, you have to brag about it here. 

• Upvote 1
53 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

more or less inevitable that my willpower will run out at some time soon, and I'll get myself the Tomcat too

You will love flying it. It just P 47 good. 

1 hour ago, CanadaOne said:

I'm still on the fence with the F-14. I just want it because it's gorgeous, not because I have any particular love for the plane.

Me neither. But it got by far the most pretty cockpit. It simply feel right. I just love it big time. I am amazed you have not gotten it. 

I got my new stick. So I assigned in this order the new stick. 
SU 25’s

Mi8

Huey

KA 50 

rest will have to wait. 

24 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Me neither. But it got by far the most pretty cockpit. It simply feel right. I just love it big time. I am amazed you have not gotten it. 

I got my new stick. So I assigned in this order the new stick. 
SU 25’s

Mi8

Huey

KA 50 

rest will have to wait. 

I haven't gotten it for one simple reason: it's $115. :biggrin:

I'm not crying poor, but for $115 I need something more than just a desire to look at the pretty picture it makes when I hit F3 on the keyboard, and to watch the wings swing back and forward. Mind you, it does look incredibly cool. I tried the free demo and it's a ridiculously good looking plane, but I've never had a love affair with the Tomcat. I dropped $115 on the A-10 because I've had a thing for it for decades. And I dropped the big bucks on the F-18 so I could get some high-tech Supercarrier action, and Canada flies the F-18, so it's a bit of home for me.

I've got the A-10 mostly on the stick, some F-18, and Voice Attack is doing a lot of the work. What stick did you get?

Talking of TOMCATS, Myself and DD_Fenrir, decided to have a play and learn/try something new tonight, He flew the big pussy, while I flew a Hornet with air to air loadout to protect and a Tpod to lase for his GBU's, rather than being in the back seat of the cat and using the Lantern pod (something we intend to try in the future).

Worked surprisingly well and was very satisfying to get collective team effort booms!!!!

Not todays flight, but what's not to love about carrier planes....

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, CanadaOne said:

I haven't gotten it for one simple reason: it's $115. :biggrin:

I'm not crying poor, but for $115 I need something more than just a desire to look at the pretty picture it makes when I hit F3 on the keyboard, and to watch the wings swing back and forward. Mind you, it does look incredibly cool. I tried the free demo and it's a ridiculously good looking plane, but I've never had a love affair with the Tomcat. I dropped $115 on the A-10 because I've had a thing for it for decades. And I dropped the big bucks on the F-18 so I could get some high-tech Supercarrier action, and Canada flies the F-18, so it's a bit of home for me.

I've got the A-10 mostly on the stick, some F-18, and Voice Attack is doing a lot of the work. What stick did you get?

I personally find the F-14 the best module in DCS for many reasons; I'm an a2a guy primarily and who doesn't like launching a quartet of Phoenixes at an incoming wing of enemy aircraft? But I love that if I get the itch I can pickle some LGBs - or if I'm feeling particularly daring, run in with unguided ordnance - with the added bonus that it's a darn sight quicker than the Warthog (though that is one beautiful plane) plus I get to land on the carrier with all the frustrations and rewards that brings.

Then there's TALD, a neat little decoy that can make the difference between your Hornet buddies HARMS getting through to their targets, quite a game changer when going in against a well organised IADS. "But the Hornet!" I hear you say? Sterile and no legs. I like the HARM, sure but there's just something about hauling the Cat around, it really talks to you, particularly if you own an FFB stick and I love the fact that there's no computer limiting what you're "allowed" to do; it just feels awesome, so much feedback and a challenge to fly at it's limits but not insurmountably so. And you have fuel for days compared to the Electric Bug, where every flight seems like it ends up at some stage sweating out the gas.

Added to which ultimately we'll have 3x 'A' variants and the 'B', plus the Forrestal to play with too... lotta bang for your buck in that module.

BIG thumbs up from me.

Edited by DD_Fenrir
  • Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, DD_Fenrir said:

I personally find the F-14 the best module in DCS for many reasons; I'm an a2a guy primarily and who doesn't like launching a quartet of Phoenixes at an incoming wing of enemy aircraft? But I love that if I get the itch I can pickle some LGBs - or if I'm feeling particularly daring, run in with unguided ordnance - with the added bonus that it's a darn sight quicker than the Warthog (though that is one beautiful plane) plus I get to land on the carrier with all the frustrations and rewards that brings.

Then there's TALD, a neat little decoy that can make the difference between your Hornet buddies HARMS getting through to their targets, quite a game changer when going in against a well organised IADS. "But the Hornet!" I hear you say? Sterile and no legs. I like the HARM, sure but there's just something about hauling the Cat around, it really talks to you, particularly if you own an FFB stick and I love the fact that there's no computer limiting what you're "allowed" to do; it just feels awesome, so much feedback and a challenge to fly at it's limits but not insurmountably so. And you have fuel for days compared to the Electric Bug, where every flight seems like it ends up at some stage sweating out the gas.

Added to which ultimately we'll have 3x 'A' variants and the 'B', plus the Forrestal to play with too... lotta bang for your buck in that module.

BIG thumbs up from me.

That's probably why the F-14 isn't close to my heart; I'm an A2G kind of guy. My favorite plane in Il2 is, well... the IL2. Same applies to DCS. My Big Three are the Harrier, the A-10, and the F-18. Good fun factor and good for the "beeg badabooms!" The F-14 is definitely for the A2A crowd. That said, at half the price I'd grab it simply because it's a big, fast, cool plane and landing that thing on the Supercarrier has got to be fun. And I'm hard pressed to say I've ever seen a more delicious looking bit of flightsim artwork as the exterior of the DCS F-14 in flight. It's freaking gorgeous!

And you're right about the F-18 being a bit sterile, but I wanted a fancy pants computer driven "f### you at 50 miles in the dark with a JSOW up the azz" rocket ship with the cool night vision displays. I've got the F-86 and the F-5E for the earthy crunchy stuff. Sadly, my FFB is retired and only 3/4 functional. I'm using a Thrustmaster stick and TWCS throttle now. And they're really good, no complaints. 

Thinking about the Mig-19 when the Steam sale starts, not sure though.

Edited by CanadaOne
13 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

That's probably why the F-14 isn't close to my heart; I'm an A2G kind of guy. My favorite plane in Il2 is, well... the IL2. Same applies to DCS. My Big Three are the Harrier, the A-10, and the F-18. Good fun factor and good for the "beeg badabooms!" The F-14 is definitely for the A2A crowd. That said, at half the price I'd grab it simply because it's a big, fast, cool plane and landing that thing on the Supercarrier has got to be fun. And I'm hard pressed to say I've ever seen a more delicious looking bit of flightsim artwork as the exterior of the DCS F-14 in flight. It's freaking gorgeous!

I'm mostly looking forward to starting up, taxiing around the deck, watching those deck guys, and FWOOOOMMM!!! launching...then landing again...am I weird?

6 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

I'm mostly looking forward to starting up, taxiing around the deck, watching those deck guys, and FWOOOOMMM!!! launching...then landing again...am I weird?

Start up in the Cat is epically epically long, on our sever the Tomcats are always hot start spawn in, unlike the Hornets which are cold start! I can start a Viper, Hornet and A10, but am unlikely to ever learn the Tomcat!!!!!!

But no, there is something very satisfying about cold starting on the carrier, launching, completing the mission, landing and then canopy up, wings folded ,engine off, finishing it......

f00DesktopScreenshot202.jpg

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Yes.

And you are amongst your kind here. :pilot:

• Upvote 2

I keep getting beckoned by the F-16. It is likely my second favorite fighter plane behind the Mustang. In my eyes I see similarities between the two. Almost like a 1940s NAA engineer daydreamed what a future jet powered Mustang might look in the then distant future.

Edited by Rjel
Spelling
18 minutes ago, Rjel said:

I keep getting beckoned by the F-16. It is likely my second favorite fighter plane behind the Mustang. In my eyes I see similarities between the two. Almost like a 1940s NAA engineer daydreamed what a future jet powered Mustang might look in the then distant future.

That's kinda cool. :cool:

42 minutes ago, Rjel said:

We have very similar taste in aircraft!

The Viper is still much less further along than the Hornet and Tomcat, but is very capable in air to air already. Once the SPI issue is resolved which is known and being worked on, will be very capable in air to ground as well, even though there is much much more still to come.

Its my favourite ride for just flying around, especially when clean and low level...... 

Its just gorgeous as well, and the cockpit in VR is amazing.

54eDigitalCombatSimulat.jpg

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, DD_fruitbat said:

Start up in the Cat is epically epically long, on our sever the Tomcats are always hot start spawn in, unlike the Hornets which are cold start! I can start a Viper, Hornet and A10, but am unlikely to ever learn the Tomcat!!!!!!

But no, there is something very satisfying about cold starting on the carrier, launching, completing the mission, landing and then canopy up, wings folded ,engine off, finishing it......

The TomCat can be started in about five minutes, if you don't ask for an assisted start up. The alignment can take a few minutes, but no longer than any other aircraft.

Edit: It takes only a few minutes for the INS to align, if you choose "INS course alignment" thru Jester during start up, If you don't, Jester will default to a "INS fine alignment", which takes considerately longer. 

Edited by CastorTroy
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, DD_fruitbat said:

The Viper is still much less further along than the Hornet and Tomcat, but is very capable in air to air already. 

Its my favourite ride for just flying around, especially when clean and low level...... 

Its just gorgeous as well, and the cockpit in VR is amazing.

54eDigitalCombatSimulat.jpg

My favorite aircraft growing up.

I think that it would be much more of a time-suck to learn (and remain proficient with) than the Tomcat however...so just no time.

I did spend a minute with Falcon 4.0 back in the day and even that was a bit more than I had the patience for.

I'm surprised nobody ever mentions the JF-17 Thunder.  Probably because so few have heard of it, and its use is confined to Pakistan and maybe a couple of others.  One of the most complete modules released into DCS, and well done all around.  Compared to some of the other study-sim level modules, it has a relatively easy learning curve, and it is absolutely capable of taking on any other aircraft in the sim.   The origin of this aircraft was a design study by Grumman on behalf of the Chinese to upgrade the Mig-21 and the specs ended up being a lot like the F-20 Tigershark.  Neat aircraft, simple, and effective in both air to air and air to ground.  If someone wants a very competitive aircraft, but is put off by the learning curve required on some of the 4th Gen fighters, this is the one you want to get.

The Tomcat is probably the best aircraft in the sim to date, but one of it's best strengths, the fully realized multi-crew abilities, is also its greatest liability imo from a practical gaming standpoint.  To get the most of the aircraft you need a RIO that knows what they are doing, and that can be problematic.  The learning curve for the RIO is a lot steeper than for the Pilot.  As a pilot, it's hard to get good doing a realistic intercept in the Tomcat by yourself, because it is the guy in back who needs to be running it.  Jester is pretty impressive for an AI crewmember, but he doesn't know how to control an interception.  In fairness, I guess it's easy enough to point your nose straight at the bad guy and lob off missiles with Jester, but I've come to the conclusion that getting the most out of it requires two humans who both really know their stuff.  You can work as hard as you can to become the best pilot, but competively, you'll still suck if the RIO turns out to be a dud.  I'm not as enthusiastic about the Tomcat as I used to be, because even though I can put in the practice to be as good as I can be, I can't make another crew member put in the same.  In most situations, I'd rather just be by myself in an aircraft with a modern radar that can do things more automatically and tell me exactly what I need to know, without having to rely on another person flicking switches back there and being able to communicate the relavent information.  Love the F-14, hate the F-14.

Edited by SeaSerpent
On 11/16/2020 at 7:32 PM, CanadaOne said:

Grim Reapers tutorials.

Do not watch GR if you:

1) want to learn things

2) want to keep your brain cells

That channel is a fire hose of bad tutorials and garbage content.

12 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

That is all I do with it. 

12 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

Thinking about the Mig-19 when the Steam sale starts, not sure though.

I do not like it. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Tuesday said:

Do not watch GR if you:

1) want to learn things

2) want to keep your brain cells

That channel is a fire hose of bad tutorials and garbage content.

I can see how they might rub some people the wrong way, but I like them. And their tutorials got me right through the Harrier and a half dozen other planes.

I think everyone likes a different kind of plane, and a different kind of tutorial as well. 

Vive la difference, eh? ;)

I also think GRs are just fine.  You get a new aircraft, you want to learn how to use weapons systems X, you watch, it works as advertised when you try it for yourself, viola.  Successful tutorial.  GR videos have been a part of learning all the aircraft that I have actually learned in DCS.

• Upvote 1

GR is usually enough to get started, but their disorganised way of doing things just p!sses me off, watching.

If you just half-arse it, then don't do it at all. /opinion

Red Kite is very structured. Spudknocker is also good'ish, though some have called him out for imposturing once. He apologized, so I guess it's okay.

Growling Sidewinder has some tutorials and generally is neat to watch. He's more of an A2A guy, though.

Tricker also has some tutorials. As has Tactical Pascale. And Jabbers.

I like Ralfidude's Sh!ts'n'Giggles compilations.

Edited by Bremspropeller
4 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Israeli Mirages vs Iranian F-14’s.

Would be Iraqi F1s against Iran's F-14s.

Israel switched from french equipment to US equipment post Six Day War (due to a french embargo), hence no F1s with a Star of David.

Pretty much every customer's F1s were different. Some of the most capable export F1s were the iraqi EQ5 and EQ6 models. Both could fire the Exocet missile.

Turns out I had been searching for the second song in the video (just based on the melody) since I was a kid.

So I'm looking for cool F1 videos and BAM, there it is!

[Borat voice]

Great success!

[/Borat voice]

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

GR is basically me and how I do it. If it can’t be done half harted I won’t do it

Testify, brother!  :drink2:

I want the flight to be exactly the way I want it to be, no less and no more complicated than I find enjoyable at the moment. And if that means half-assed, then that's how I'm doing it. If I want painful reality I'll go to work.

In all truth I really enjoy the GR videos. And when I posted to them asking about how the Supercarrier looked at night - because they had a pre-release module - they made a good fun video about it. Me I like dat! :cool:

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

GR is usually enough to get started, but their disorganised way of doing things just p!sses me off, watching.

If you just half-arse it, then don't do it at all. /opinion

Red Kite is very structured. Spudknocker is also good'ish, though some have called him out for imposturing once. He apologized, so I guess it's okay.

Growling Sidewinder has some tutorials and generally is neat to watch. He's more of an A2A guy, though.

Tricker also has some tutorials. As has Tactical Pascale. And Jabbers.

I like Ralfidude's Sh!ts'n'Giggles compilations.

I've got nothing positive to say about GR or Pudknocker...

But there are several really good options out there too:  RedKite, Tactical Pascale, Fast Jet Performance, Overkill, The Air Combat Library, The Air Warfare Group and Ralfidude are all really good.

Edited by DBFlyguy

One thing about the Grim Reapers, they do bring out people's opinions, pro and con. I remain solidly pro. 

I don't watch Spudknocker much at all, his "Aaaaaassssssss always..." intro is like nails on a blackboard to me. I really like Ralfidude's "A-10C for Dummies". It's very, very well done. I'll have to watch more of his stuff. 

Edited by CanadaOne

Don't know that one, but I'll check it out.

Edit: IFC puts the emphasis on the second syllable in the second word. That bothers be much, much less than the drawn out "I'm on the intercom speaking to the passengers on a flight out of Atlanta" affected drawl of Spudknocker's first word.

I want Kenneth Branagh doing all my flightsim video voices.

Edited by CanadaOne
  • Upvote 1