15 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

I've got a handle on a few things. Definitely need some tutorial videos to hold my hand. 

The HMCS helmet HUD is Da Bomb! You just look at something, designate it, and it's locked in for you to find quick and easy after you take a turn a few miles off and come back to blow the living s**t out of it.  Haven't figured out how to get a laser guided weapon to hit that point, but I'm getting close. 

20201031170101_1.jpg

To get laser guided weapons to hit that point, after marking the area with your helmet (TMS right short marks, TMS right long create a SPI), press 'china hat back long'. This slaves the TGP to your SPI created with the helmet. Then you can make the TGP SOI and fine tune the position. TMS right will change to a point track for moving vehicles, TMS long up will create the SPI there, which is useful for slaving mavericks to, but not necessary for LGB's or laser guided rockets.

Then its just a case of being in the right master mode, ie CCIP for rockets, CCRP for bombs, having the desired weapon selected, and following the release cues. Latch the laser in the TGP MFD, as it means you just have to turn it on and off, as opposed to holding the button down all the time to lase (you can see this is the first vid linked at @1min in).

Laser guided rockets,

GBU's,

And IR mavericks, ,just for good measure,

If you've got any questions, just ask👍

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, DD_fruitbat said:

To get laser guided weapons to hit that point, after marking the area with your helmet (TMS right short marks, TMS right long create a SPI), press 'china hat back long'. This slaves the TGP to your SPI created with the helmet. Then you can make the TGP SOI and fine tune the position. TMS right will change to a point track for moving vehicles, TMS long up will create the SPI there, which is useful for slaving mavericks to, but not necessary for LGB's or laser guided rockets.

Then its just a case of being in the right master mode, ie CCIP for rockets, CCRP for bombs, having the desired weapon selected, and following the release cues. Latch the laser in the TGP MFD, as it means you just have to turn it on and off, as opposed to holding the button down all the time to lase (you can see this is the first vid linked at @1min in).

Laser guided rockets,

GBU's,

And IR mavericks, ,just for good measure,

If you've got any questions, just ask👍

I appreciate the help. :cool:

I managed to figure out the laser rockets after watching a few videos. It's nuts that you can carry about 100 of them and just sit back a few miles and pick off vehicles like flies. Can't seem to fire a Maverick though. I keep getting a "bad tracking" warning flashing on the MFD, but I'm sure I'll get past that. Another thing I can't seem to do is change the TGP/MFD from black hot to white hot while tacking a target. Just can't find the buttons to do it.

I like using the HMCS to mark an area at night and then swing in guns a' blazing with the night vision on. This thing has some quality eye candy to it. 

For anyone having issues learning or remembering the hotas commands in the A-10CII, this image is indispensible:

3bekp09i2kq51.thumb.png.de8a3f777c48095ba650a599f230eb0e.png

I put off purchasing the original A-10 for years because it always seemed so daunting to learn, but between this and Ralfi's turorials, I feel that I've managed to get a fairly decent grip on it very quickly.

Edited by Dijital_Majik
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
16 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

I appreciate the help. :cool:

I managed to figure out the laser rockets after watching a few videos. It's nuts that you can carry about 100 of them and just sit back a few miles and pick off vehicles like flies. Can't seem to fire a Maverick though. I keep getting a "bad tracking" warning flashing on the MFD, but I'm sure I'll get past that. Another thing I can't seem to do is change the TGP/MFD from black hot to white hot while tacking a target. Just can't find the buttons to do it.

I like using the HMCS to mark an area at night and then swing in guns a' blazing with the night vision on. This thing has some quality eye candy to it. 

The boat switch forward/aft changes both the Tpod when SOI and the Mav page when SOI between white hot and black hot.

The Maverick seeker can be temperamental locking after slaving from the Tpod, just make the MAV page SOI, and nudge the tracking cursor off and back on to the target, and the gates will close and you can fire. Helps to  change the FOV to zoomed in, with China hat forward short.

Top tip for practising all of these things, map 'Active Pause' and use that feature to practise, as you don't have to worry about flying the plane, and can just focus on manipulated the systems as you practise from a suitable range. 

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Upvote 2

Here's a short vid showing multiple Mavericks on one pass, and particularly highlighting what i meant by nudging the Mav seeker head off and back onto a target to close the gate to get a firing solution,

Edited by DD_fruitbat

So you think you're flying low?

Hauling butt through the canyons of Labrador at ~420kts: Low Level training at Goose Bay for this german F-4F Phantom II back in the early 90s.

They're talking mostly about the routing, but they'll occasionally marvel at the sights ("Look at those rapids!"), looking for bears, and moose, etc.

They also acknowledge they're glad they're not in a B-52...

Later, they're pushing it up to 540kts for the run-in.

It concludes with a simulated airfield attack.

Edited by Bremspropeller
  • Upvote 3
3 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

So you think you're flying low?

Hauling butt through the canyons of Labrador at ~420kts: Low Level training at Goose Bay for this german F-4F Phantom II back in the early 90s.

They're talking mostly about the routing, but they'll occasionally marvel at the sights ("Look at those rapids!"), looking for bears, and moose, etc.

They also acknowledge they're glad they're not in a B-52...

Later, they're pushing it up to 540kts for the run-in.

It concludes with a simulated airfield attack.

Real (sim pilots who can hit refly if it goes horribly wrong) do it at mach 1:dance:

Edited by DD_fruitbat

I´d also like to learn a few more systems in the A-10, F-16 or F-18 .. what holds me back though is the fact, that I´m still flying with a MS FFB Sidewinder 2 - therefore I have a little problem mapping my controls 😄

I have an X-55 but the stick is pretty crappy - the throttle is okayish but could have more and better buttons / switches ...

Thinking about getting a Virpil base and grip but I´m not sure - also these sticks and throttles are kinda expensive ... 😢😄

4 minutes ago, 9./JG27golani79 said:

I´d also like to learn a few more systems in the A-10, F-16 or F-18 .. what holds me back though is the fact, that I´m still flying with a MS FFB Sidewinder 2 - therefore I have a little problem mapping my controls 😄

I have an X-55 but the stick is pretty crappy - the throttle is okayish but could have more and better buttons / switches ...

Thinking about getting a Virpil base and grip but I´m not sure - also these sticks and throttles are kinda expensive ... 😢😄

Buy a usb control card and make a switchbox. It is not difficult. Your stick is good

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 9./JG27golani79 said:

I use a msffb2 as well, along with an x65 throttle. I use the x65 stick for a button bay. I have used the saitek mapping software to map one of the buttons on the throttle to be the left shift key, as dcs lets you add modifiers in the control settings.

In theory gives me 6 hat switches at my finger tips, and gives you the same, plus duel functionality for all the other buttons. Its definitely a cheaper option!

We've essentially got the same stuff.

@brems, its a very short flight with the throttle pinned, since just internal as i was there is 7200 pounds...  just over 5 minutes 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
39 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Buy a usb control card and make a switchbox. It is not difficult. Your stick is good

Haven´t done anything related to electronics and soldering for ages .. not sure if this would work out 😄

@DD_fruitbat

Are you flying with the FFB stick and using the X-65 on the side for the functions?

Seems like I´ll have to  try it out as well and see how it goes / feels.

1 minute ago, 9./JG27golani79 said:

Haven´t done anything related to electronics and soldering for ages .. not sure if this would work out

It is easy two wires in a slot. It says where and you have a button. Any button work. Axis is 3 wires. I never done it before. I managed first time. Plug usb cable in and you are good to go

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, 9./JG27golani79 said:

Haven´t done anything related to electronics and soldering for ages .. not sure if this would work out 😄

@DD_fruitbat

Are you flying with the FFB stick and using the X-65 on the side for the functions?

Seems like I´ll have to  try it out as well and see how it goes / feels.

Photos a bit JJ Abrams, but you'll get the idea,

202004221707221.jpg

I use one of the buttons on the front of the throttle for the 'left shift' key, so gives me 4 hat switch's on the throttle, 2 without the shift key, and 2 with, plus one hat switch on the msffb2 without the shift key, and another using it, if needed.

I then use the buttons on the x65 joystick to my left for things I don't have to use often, and in combat or weapons deployment, so my hands are always on the msffb2 and x65 throttle during those things.

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

It is easy two wires in a slot. It says where and you have a button. Any button work. Axis is 3 wires. I never done it before. I managed first time. Plug usb cable in and you are good to go

Do you have any more information on what exactly I would need for this stuff?

31 minutes ago, DD_fruitbat said:

Photos a bit JJ Abrams, but you'll get the idea,

202004221707221.jpg

I use one of the buttons on the front of the throttle for the 'left shift' key, so gives me 4 hat switch's on the throttle, 2 without the shift key, and 2 with, plus one hat switch on the msffb2 without the shift key, and another using it, if needed.

I then use the buttons on the x65 joystick to my left for things I don't have to use often, and in combat or weapons deployment, so my hands are always on the msffb2 and x65 throttle during those things.

Thanks DD_fruitbat - seems like I´m gonna utilize more of my equipment as well!

8 minutes ago, Lythronax said:

The disingenuous approach ED have taken concerning the new WWII DM is utterly baffling.

From the site (below). May I ask why this is disingenuous? Not arguing, I just don't understand.

• The new Damage Model code with all last fixes is uploaded to build to start Open Public tests on the ED servers shortly. The information about how to connect to test servers will be placed on the forum soon.
1 minute ago, CanadaOne said:

From the site (below). May I ask why this is disingenuous? Not arguing, I just don't understand.

• The new Damage Model code with all last fixes is uploaded to build to start Open Public tests on the ED servers shortly. The information about how to connect to test servers will be placed on the forum soon.

Such an implementation was never mentioned; all communications with the playerbase implied full release for today. Just a bit miffed so I may be overreacting, but their attempts at community relations need a big step up.

1 minute ago, Lythronax said:

Such an implementation was never mentioned; all communications with the playerbase implied full release for today. Just a bit miffed so I may be overreacting, but their attempts at community relations need a big step up.

They do lack communications skills at times, that's for sure. The carrier release showed that clearly. 

That said, the "everyone is locked in at home with the plague so try all of our stuff free for a month" thing they had last spring went a long, loooong way to them getting my patience and forgiveness. And planes I bought months and years ago are still seeing quality updates. That's not too bad.

Steam hasn't downloaded the update yet, but it's bound to be a few GB.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Curious to hear how the new damage model is. From the email I got from ED it sounds pretty solid. Will it decrease fps even more? I have trouble running DCS in VR enough as it is already. But sounds promising.

13 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I am not smart enough for sarcasm. 
I really liked the feeling of mastering a complex system that was easy

That's the point; I was getting good with the Harrier and now they changed it. 

I wish they had included a helmet HMCS like in the A-10C II and the F-18. And maybe those little laser rockets. Those are fun for annoying tanks. :biggrin:

1 hour ago, CanadaOne said:

That's the point; I was getting good with the Harrier and now they changed it. 

I wish they had included a helmet HMCS like in the A-10C II and the F-18. And maybe those little laser rockets. Those are fun for annoying tanks. :biggrin:

Damn you became more advanced than me. I really need to go upgrade that game. I had my 5 minute fun with the hurri

6 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Damn you became more advanced than me. I really need to go upgrade that game.

I'm as upgraded as I can be. There's really nothing left that I want to buy. When the Mosquito comes out that will be an instant purchase for sure. 

6 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I had my 5 minute fun with the hurri

I like the Hurricane. Nice classic feel to it. 

4 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

like the Hurricane. Nice classic feel to it. 

I like it too. Tried it on a new installed game in finnish server. While flying level and added some buttons in settings I got shot down. 
I feel relatively finnished with online fps gaming. And cfs. 
I am looking forward to mossie in DCS. I hope it is in P 47 P 51 league. 
I am in a personal cfs crisis. Have not the faintest idea what to do 

4 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I like it too. Tried it on a new installed game in finnish server. While flying level and added some buttons in settings I got shot down. 
I feel relatively finnished with online fps gaming. And cfs. 
I am looking forward to mossie in DCS. I hope it is in P 47 P 51 league. 
I am in a personal cfs crisis. Have not the faintest idea what to do 

Maybe give it a rest for a bit and come back to it and it will feel fresh.

I'm flying more DCS than FS20 and IL2 combined. But when I do go back to either after putting it away for a bit, like flying the Hurricane today, I find the game tends to look a bit better.