54 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

As for DCS lacking direction, I think they are providing an excellent sandbox full of toys to play with as opposed to a theme to be followed.

Agreed. Personally I prefer modules with good campaigns.  And preferably choppers. Then I use Harrier for some specific things. Hornet and Tomcat for carrier take off and landing. Slowly progressing  system skill building. 
To me there is no real need for a complete battle scenario. I would not take time to enjoy it anyway. 
Right now, I like Wellington in Cod, they have a very complete battle scenario , but lack what I need a non time consuming mission oriented task just for one flight. 
GB provide this, but have short shallow learning curve once you got it , there is no more learning if dogfighting is not of interest. 
Pain in the ass is in fact that I rather fly scenic flights in yak 52 in much more alive scenario than GB can offer, and at the same time feel like I have to be a pilot

On 8/19/2020 at 10:36 PM, dburne said:

Well I got the Syria map earlier today, currently no instant action or single missions have been done for it.

I think maybe one or two for the Tomcat and that is it.

So I spent the afternoon continuing my PWCG campaign in IL-2.

;)

I take a MI 8 place it on the map or a Yak 52 then fly

20 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Agreed. Personally I prefer modules with good campaigns.  And preferably choppers. Then I use Harrier for some specific things. Hornet and Tomcat for carrier take off and landing. Slowly progressing  system skill building. 
To me there is no real need for a complete battle scenario. I would not take time to enjoy it anyway. 
Right now, I like Wellington in Cod, they have a very complete battle scenario , but lack what I need a non time consuming mission oriented task just for one flight. 
GB provide this, but have short shallow learning curve once you got it , there is no more learning if dogfighting is not of interest. 
Pain in the ass is in fact that I rather fly scenic flights in yak 52 in much more alive scenario than GB can offer, and at the same time feel like I have to be a pilot

I take a MI 8 place it on the map or a Yak 52 then fly

I fly less and less GB simply because the SP content creation sucks balls, and it's a shame because the sim is excellent! aside from that. Not sure I've ever flown a DCS mission, much less started a campaign. And the Harrier is 75% of my DCS time. P-51 and F-18 for the other 25% for now. Haven't set up my Huey controls since I change flightsticks, but with the Syria map it might have to happen soon.

Have you seen the amount of car traffic on the Syria map? A lot of people are out driving. :biggrin:

14 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Have you seen the amount of car traffic on the Syria map? A lot of people are out driving. :biggrin:

I have yet only downloaded it. I guess I finally came to a conclusion. 
I am addicted to have the possibility to fly, but actually fly I do not need. 
Flying in circles with a cessna or a yak , seems suddenly incomprehensible. I am sure I get over it. 

I bought the Syria map for $39. Didn’t install and didn’t see in available modules. Then checked and saw it’s only for beta version and not the stable version I’m running.

Since this is a stand-alone install, not Steam (Syria won’t install if it’s a Steam edition) I’m out of luck atm, unless I want to install the beta version which will take forever...

4 hours ago, tiger_0988 said:

I bought the Syria map for $39. Didn’t install and didn’t see in available modules. Then checked and saw it’s only for beta version and not the stable version I’m running.

Since this is a stand-alone install, not Steam (Syria won’t install if it’s a Steam edition) I’m out of luck atm, unless I want to install the beta version which will take forever...

I only have the beta version, it mostly works fine and get all the new goodies first.

24 minutes ago, dburne said:

I only have the beta version, it mostly works fine and get all the new goodies first.

I just spent hours installing the latest beta version to try out the Syria map and it’s frozen on startup screen right after I login....sigh

55 minutes ago, dburne said:

Viva la Beta!  :good:

I'm at a point where I'm considering uninstalling DCS and stop supporting it. I know it has its fans and it has things going for it, but there are a lot of people who grown frustrated with it. DLCs of aircraft that are incomplete. I never bought the MiG-19 Framer module, but when it came out people said it behaved like it was on steroids. Some want a dynamic Campaign and have gone back to Falcon BMS. Some say its constantly a work in progress, so on and so forth.

The creator has made a youtube where he has acknowledged the criticism and promises to "do better"

For me today is symptomatic of the frustrations I have and its coming to a point where DCS is no longer enjoyable. I buy a module-Syria. I then have to install the open beta product to play. Ok fine. Spend hours installing that and then more time installing all the modules I've purchased.  I then try to start it. It freezes up. I contact support. It starts up-50% of the time. Then it just hangs the other 50% of, the time. I fire up a quick mission to fly around and the plane rolls to the right crazily. I go to Windows and re-calibrate my joystick. No luck. I do a search and some said, just unplug your joystick and plug it back in, still no luck.

So I'm going to have to spend who knows how long to troubleshoot my T1600M issue. Once that's taken care of I'll have to spend time remapping everything.

I had to fire up an IL2 BOS campaign I have going and shoot up some IL2s for therapy in the meantime.

In the back of my head I'm thinking of just a few days ago when I installed FS2020 and it automatically detected my T1600M setup and mapped it to perfection. FS2020, IL2 BOS, Tobruk is enjoyable and relaxing to me.

DCS is another story.

53 minutes ago, tiger_0988 said:

I fire up a quick mission to fly around and the plane rolls to the right crazily. I go to Windows and re-calibrate my joystick. No luck. I do a search and some said, just unplug your joystick and plug it back in, still no luck.

In the controls set up you need to tick the box that says 'Invert axis'......or something like that.:wacko:

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

In the controls set up you need to tick the box that says 'Invert axis'......or something like that.:wacko:

Thanks...didn’t see Invert axis, but checking the Synchronize Cockpit Controls with HOTAS at Mission Start did the trick.

For all the frustrations with DCS taking a Viper F-16 our for a spin makes it worth it, but then again the Viper when released had no damage model! Don’t know if that’s been fixed.

DCS World...1step forward 1step back.

I think of the old saying when it comes to DCS-he who chases 2 rabbits ends up with none.

DCS is chasing a lot of rabbits. WW2 that’s not fully baked, a carrier module that’s a work in progress, maps with few missions, hodge poge of aircraft releases some not fully tuned or baked at release, Combined Arms. 

They may as well get into the naval business and start releasing more ships to blow up while they’re at it. Or nukes. I still remember the nuke mod for Microproses F-15E Strike Eagle.

Edited by tiger_0988

I enjoy DCS, but here lately I am pretty frustrated with it as well but for other reasons, so I do not spend near the time with it I spend with IL-2.

My issue is getting my arms wrapped around learning an aircraft. I have well over 100 hours in with the Hornet, and I am still not there.

Oh I have gone through the training, watched some vids, but it all just seems overwhelming to me. Sure I can successfully do carrier takeoffs and landings, starting 

from cold and dark. I can navigate, and do a little weaponry. But after all these hours, I still don't feel I could have a chance at successfully flying a campaign with it. And that is where

my real desire is, hence where my frustration lies.

So even though I have purchased maps and what not, it is kind of on the back burner for now with me.

I

34 minutes ago, dburne said:

I enjoy DCS, but here lately I am pretty frustrated with it as well but for other reasons, so I do not spend near the time with it I spend with IL-2.

My issue is getting my arms wrapped around learning an aircraft. I have well over 100 hours in with the Hornet, and I am still not there.

Oh I have gone through the training, watched some vids, but it all just seems overwhelming to me. Sure I can successfully do carrier takeoffs and landings, starting 

from cold and dark. I can navigate, and do a little weaponry. But after all these hours, I still don't feel I could have a chance at successfully flying a campaign with it. And that is where

So even though I have purchased maps and what not, it is kind of on the back burner for now with me.

I

That's another thing with DCS. You have to make a huge investment into it. Back when Falcon 3.0 came out I would put hours into practicing, reading the think manual over and over again. Buying and reading the aftermarket books and even bough the video Art of the Kill-back then you didn't have youtube or the internet to go to.

Today I have other hobbies as well as more choices in gaming to occupy me. I've played countless hours playing games like Rome Total War, Combat Mission, Steel Division and countless other titles to play.

I really like the fact I can get into IL2 and start shooting up stuff fairly quickly. In DCS you have to spend hours just learning the systems. They do have a simplified model-something that I think some hard core players despise as heresy, but even then it still has a learning curve. I'm also disappointed they took out the F-15 tutorials. The SU-27 is a fun jet, but the F-15 is king.

I like IL2 campaigns. It makes you feel like you're part of something bigger. DCS seems to lack that.

I do like the mission builder in DCS though. I was able to build missions fairly quickly. I've poked around a little in the IL2 BOS mission builder and it seem more complicated with a higher learning curve. I remember building a mission or 2 back in the original IL2 and it was not too intuitive as I recall, but wasn't overly complex either, but getting aircraft to do what I wanted was a bit of work.

I really use DCS to fly around in fast jets or build mission and watch the AI planes, vehicles and AA systems destroy things while I admire the show. 

Once FS 2020 gets fast movers I'll probably use that to fly around in modern jets.

• Upvote 1

Yeah IL-2 Single Player absolutely rocks! Yeah some learning curve, but nothing like DCS's.

Between PWCG, the Career, and Scripted Campaigns, I have plenty of great SP action available to me in IL-2.

I wish it kept track of hours, goodness I would probably not believe how many hours I have in with this game now.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dburne said:

Yeah IL-2 Single Player absolutely rocks!

I think IL2 is excellent, but I find the SP side of it seriously lacking. During the last interview with Jason, for example, there was a lot of talk about what other people are building for us, but nothing about improving this situation so we can build missions ourselves faster and more enjoyably. 

The QMB and the mission editor, the two interfaces the IL2 SP flyer has to make his own flight, are both very weak in their own ways, and it looks like they will stay that way. I don't understand why the best WWII flightsim ever has SP utilities that are eclipsed by sims we were flying in 2010. We're on the verge of the eighth module and the QMB is still the day-old dry toast it was years ago. It makes no sense at all.

On the other hand, DCS keeps making their mission builder easier and more fun to use. The last update added hotkey functions to make the ME even faster to use. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

On 8/21/2020 at 6:32 PM, tiger_0988 said:

I'm at a point where I'm considering uninstalling DCS and stop supporting it. I know it has its fans and it has things going for it, but there are a lot of people who grown frustrated with it. DLCs of aircraft that are incomplete. I never bought the MiG-19 Framer module, but when it came out people said it behaved like it was on steroids. Some want a dynamic Campaign and have gone back to Falcon BMS. Some say its constantly a work in progress, so on and so forth.

The creator has made a youtube where he has acknowledged the criticism and promises to "do better"

For me today is symptomatic of the frustrations I have and its coming to a point where DCS is no longer enjoyable. I buy a module-Syria. I then have to install the open beta product to play. Ok fine. Spend hours installing that and then more time installing all the modules I've purchased.  I then try to start it. It freezes up. I contact support. It starts up-50% of the time. Then it just hangs the other 50% of, the time. I fire up a quick mission to fly around and the plane rolls to the right crazily. I go to Windows and re-calibrate my joystick. No luck. I do a search and some said, just unplug your joystick and plug it back in, still no luck.

So I'm going to have to spend who knows how long to troubleshoot my T1600M issue. Once that's taken care of I'll have to spend time remapping everything.

I had to fire up an IL2 BOS campaign I have going and shoot up some IL2s for therapy in the meantime.

In the back of my head I'm thinking of just a few days ago when I installed FS2020 and it automatically detected my T1600M setup and mapped it to perfection. FS2020, IL2 BOS, Tobruk is enjoyable and relaxing to me.

DCS is another story.

Right there with you.  After the most recent update this week I decided to give DCS another try, played a quick instant action mission and was getting random freezes, said screw it and went back to playing FS2020 which runs perfectly fine on my system as does IL-2 GB. I honestly wish I didn't dump so much cash into DCS when I was just getting started.  I installed the game and then bought a bunch of modules of my favorite jets and now I freaking hate DCS in its current state, at this point if Eagle Dynamics shut their doors tomorrow, I wouldn't shed a tear.  They will NEVER change as long as folks continue to buy the next shiny new module.  They will continue to release early access modules to fund the next early access module without ever actually finishing any of them, mix and repeat.  Once the Hind is near ready to start selling they'll have Nineline, Wag and Nick Grey come out and tell everyone "we hear you, thank you for your passion, we're gonna change...really" blah blah blah. 

My last purchase was pre-ordering the DCS Supercarrier (which has yet to receive a single feature update since release...surprise surprise) and I don't see myself buying from them ever again, I'd rather support IL-2 GB and buy collector planes I may never actually use. 

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

I've spent a small fortune on DCS-All the terrain modules, Supercarrier, WW2 Assets, 12 aircraft, 3 helos, numerous mission and campaign add on and Combined Arms. If they just decided to stop putting out stuff and just focus on completing what they've already done they would be busy for years...I could certainly use the drive space on my 2TB SDD drive.

I just got through 2 campaign missions in IL2 BOS. Had a blast, got 3 nice recording I played back and then loaded the mission into Tacview Advanced to analyze. If you haven't tried Tacview you should give it a try. Its on sale now for 40% off and the Tacview 1.8.4 beta 7 supports Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. Not sure if there is a demo to try out.

I'm definitely liking the 109 F4. Just need to fight vertically and I almost always wait till I'm within 200-300 to open fire. The FW-190 is going to be interesting to try.

I'm going to have to try some of the Russian planes soon.

Edited by tiger_0988

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, tiger_0988 said:

That's another thing with DCS. You have to make a huge investment into it.

I really like the fact I can get into IL2 and start shooting up stuff fairly quickly. In DCS you have to spend hours just learning the systems.

You are not comparing like for like. DCS WW2 are straight forward aircraft to get the grips of. Easier than IL2 in a way, as you can interact directly with the clicky cockpit instead of scrambling for a myriad of key bindings as per IL2. The modern jets are a different breed entirely with complex systems that reward the user with an abundance of options when deployed proficiently.  IL2 I feel is a bit stale and dead in comparison to DCS as a flying environment. I have all the IL2 stuff, I try to play it but I end up turning off after 10 mins. A2A is OK in IL2, but the A2G seems very lacking.Plus the DCS warbirds I feel are modeled a lot better, with the cockpits graphically on another level. The overall DCS experience just feels more realistic imo. I appreciate that cost difference vis-à-vis one plane module v multiple planes on the pricing front, but the DCS modules are worth the money as far as I am concerned. The Channel and Syria maps are outstanding and well worth the EA purchase price.

Edited by Wulfen
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/23/2020 at 12:34 AM, dburne said:

I

I am at same point as you. It simply get too much. I done all the choppers. The Harrier and then I cannot bring myself to learn anything more

2 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I am at same point as you. It simply get too much. I done all the choppers. The Harrier and then I cannot bring myself to learn anything more

The more I fly the Harrier, the more I love the Harrier. The P-51 and the F-18 get a little love, but I could live with just the Harrier. And I'd drop $50 in a heartbeat to have it in FS2020. Don't need the weapons, just all the fuel tanks. I'd tour the world in that thing.

Raining like hell here, we might be cancelled today. Might have to drink coffee and fly instead of work.

Darn it! ;)

23 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

The more I fly the Harrier, the more I love the Harrier. The P-51 and the F-18 get a little love, but I could live with just the Harrier. And I'd drop $50 in a heartbeat to have it in FS2020. Don't need the weapons, just all the fuel tanks. I'd tour the world in that thing.

Raining like hell here, we might be cancelled today. Might have to drink coffee and fly instead of work.

Darn it! ;)

I am i a bit envious, I cannot bring myself to be enthusiastic of any sim at this time. 
Flew a bit yak 52 over Beirut , ok and then I found if that is not good enough, 2020 won’t either

2 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I am i a bit envious, I cannot bring myself to be enthusiastic of any sim at this time. 
Flew a bit yak 52 over Beirut , ok and then I found if that is not good enough, 2020 won’t either

Damnit! We're going to try and get a few hours in. No covfefe and flying. :angry:

You don't have FS20 yet? Look, just buy it because you know you're going to.

I took a quick from Vermont into Montreal last night, real time and weather and it was gorgeous! It is simply  the most beautiful looking flightsim ever.

I heard if you buy from MS site it will install all over your file system. If you buy it on steam it will all go nicely to a folder. 
Can anyone say something about this

8 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I heard if you buy from MS site it will install all over your file system. If you buy it on steam it will all go nicely to a folder. 
Can anyone say something about this

I bought from the MS site and it asked where I wanted it and it went there. no issues for me.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Hoots said:

I bought from the MS site and it asked where I wanted it and it went there. no issues for me.

Got no reaction left so here is a manually upvote ⬆️

• Haha 2

On 8/25/2020 at 2:06 AM, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Got no reaction left so here is a manually upvote ⬆️

You can get FS2020 Standard Edition as part of an Xbox for PC subscription which has a $1 first month. Give it a whirl.  It's blown me away with how cool it has been discovering new places, local and afar. If you take your GA more seriously though it may give a lesser impression, as is clear from the FS forums. It's the first GA game/sim I've ever flown in and just love it.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, FlyingNutcase said:

It's the first GA game/sim I've ever flown in and just love it.

I have bought the whole chabang. 
I do not know why , but I took the deluxe premium extra gavansa pack. 
I own every sim , but this is the first in this genre I really like. Got x plane too but uninstalled it after a week

As a fan of World War II, I also bought some DCS WWII contents, but it seems that each airplane comes from a different universe, and the tires of each plane have a friction system on a different planet. The only module I don’t regret buying is Heatblur’s F-14. Although DCS still has the advantage of graphical details, the super slow progress of bug fixes and the sluggish functional integrity make me stay away.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Oyster_KAI said:

As a fan of World War II, I also bought some DCS WWII contents, but it seems that each airplane comes from a different universe, and the tires of each plane have a friction system on a different planet. The only module I don’t regret buying is Heatblur’s F-14. Although DCS still has the advantage of graphical details, the super slow progress of bug fixes and the sluggish functional integrity make me stay away.

Heatblur and Deka are the only module creators for DCS that actually seem to know what their doing and seemed focused on not nickle and diming their supporters.  Both studios released near complete modules that put the ED-in house Hornet and Viper to shame.  ED actually has poll running to see if folks would be willing to buy a separate module for integrated air defenses to actually works as they should and of course the gullible crowd are like "take my money" on something that should obviously be a core included feature for a modern air combat sim that loves to brag about being the "benchmark" 🙄

Edited by DBFlyguy
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Monostripezebra said:

Getting out of town:

I am pretty good in MI 8. Can do most things flown houndreds of hours. 
But I am pretty sure I cannot do that with engines on

14 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I am pretty good in MI 8. Can do most things flown houndreds of hours. 
But I am pretty sure I cannot do that with engines on

It got easier now, they changed the train physics. before it was almost impossible to keep the hip from falling through, now the train cars are more solid. Physics can still be fancy at times, though.

• Upvote 2

On 8/23/2020 at 12:34 AM, dburne said:

I

I hear you. This is why I stick with choppers and Harrier. I really could have been smarter with all my purchases. 
now rumors has it we are getting the mossie, and Apache. Together with the Hind and Kiowa I will strugle not being active again

3 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I hear you. This is why I stick with choppers and Harrier. I really could have been smarter with all my purchases. 
now rumors has it we are getting the mossie, and Apache. Together with the Hind and Kiowa I will strugle not being active again

Apparently the OV-10 Bronco isn't going to happen. :(

But the Pucara looks like a good replacement.

Not sure if I'll get the Hind, but I'm thinking about it.

4 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I would probably be all over the Apache.

I need to get back into the KA-50, I did learn all of it at one time and would be interesting to see how much I retain.

Been a few years though.

8 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

Not sure if I'll get the Hind, but I'm thinking about it.

I need it, but from a strategic point of view it is no help

8 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

Apparently the OV-10 Bronco isn't going to happen. :(

Sad

7 hours ago, dburne said:

I would probably be all over the Apache.

Too effective for me, like 109 in GB. Too sleek too perfect and no charm. But I buy it

As DCS gathers dust alongside FS20... but there was just a nice update. A few different versions of the P-47, two kinds of rockets, and a whack of fixes for the Harrier and F-18.

Not too shabby.

• Upvote 1

Took a quick flight to check out the new toys on the Harrier that came with the update and it seems my FPS has gone way up. I don't think I changed any settings, but I was getting really good framerates.

Anyone else notice a bump?

No Viper here, but my Hornet got some new toys as well. :biggrin:

One hell of a flightsim feast these days. Getting tough to remember all the controls.

"Okay, that switch centers the view in FS20, bombs an orphanage in DCS, and speed dials the hookers in Il2. I think that's right."

• Haha 4