Jump to content

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

It is areas looking like that. I would wait and see on release. 
Personally I am not that hyped on it, but I guess I will be

 

That's because you are not an accredited map slut. 

 

...but you could be. :acute:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, OpticFlow said:

 

To each his own...

 

I've never been any where near there, so i have no idea!:scratch_one-s_head:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DD_fruitbat said:

 

I've never been any where near there, so i have no idea!:scratch_one-s_head:

You find such flyovers on internet. I have been in area sort of. Actually been in most dcs Map areas.  I only once recogniced a area while flying over. And that was clod. Coming in over the cliffs over dover well I saw the whole coast area. It was unreal how I could recognize everything. 
Except from that I really cannot relate to game maps and call them realistic

3 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

 

That's because you are not an accredited map slut. 

 

...but you could be. :acute:

Oh I am. But mostly ww 2 areas I can relate to. I do not particularly relate so much to post ww2 war. I started with DCS because of the choppers SU 25 snd A 10

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

 

 

Oh I am. But mostly ww 2 areas I can relate to. I do not particularly relate so much to post ww2 war. I started with DCS because of the choppers SU 25 snd A 10

 

Good, the Federation of Accredited Map Sluts needs as many members as possible.

 

Probably the A-10 that got me into DCS. The A-10, like the IL2, is irresistible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

You find such flyovers on internet. I have been in area sort of. Actually been in most dcs Map areas.  I only once recogniced a area while flying over. And that was clod. Coming in over the cliffs over dover well I saw the whole coast area. It was unreal how I could recognize everything. 
Except from that I really cannot relate to game maps and call them realistic

Oh I am. But mostly ww 2 areas I can relate to. I do not particularly relate so much to post ww2 war. I started with DCS because of the choppers SU 25 snd A 10

 

I live in S  E kent, and can tell you the clod map is rubbish compared to the new DCS channel map. The DCS map is the first channel map that actually has a correct height map, and i can fly down all the valleys that i know well,  something that always bugged me in the clod map.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DD_fruitbat said:

 

I live in S  E kent, and can tell you the clod map is rubbish compared to the new DCS channel map. The DCS map is the first channel map that actually has a correct height map, and i can fly down all the valleys that i know well,  something that always bugged me in the clod map.

That might be true, I fly P 47 on that map and really enjoy both france and English coast. 
But at the time I flew over this map was not there. Next time I might find that true

👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is dcs ww2 multiplayer? I have the p 51, 109 and dora from a while back but I cant get into most servers without a map and the ww2 assets, not sure I want to buy all that unless it's worth it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Tycoon said:

How is dcs ww2 multiplayer? I have the p 51, 109 and dora from a while back but I cant get into most servers without a map and the ww2 assets, not sure I want to buy all that unless it's worth it. 

First time ever I felt DCS WW2 was worth anything was when channel map and P 47 arrived. P 51 is good also but not alone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tycoon said:

How is dcs ww2 multiplayer? I have the p 51, 109 and dora from a while back but I cant get into most servers without a map and the ww2 assets, not sure I want to buy all that unless it's worth it. 

 

I can't speak to the multiplayer part, but it's fair to say the Channel Map and the WWII Assets package give you the best WWII eye candy available. It's really a step above.

 

On the down side, you need solid hardware to make it run well. The map is said to chew up a lot of RAM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2020 at 10:48 PM, nirvi said:

Another video of the syria map:

 

That has to be some of the worst music I've ever heard in a flight sim video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

 

That has to be some of the worst music I've ever heard in a flight sim video.

 

You've never watched Bf-109s and Yaks dogfighting to death metal? I have... :dash:

 

 

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

You've never watched Bf-109s and Yaks dogfighting to death metal?

Mmm...Death Metal? Especially if it's Scandinavian Melodic Death Metal - that's super cool🤘

Do you have a link to such video?

Although, I must agree, something like Cannibal Corpse doesn't fit for such kind of videos.

Edited by Arthur-A
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

 

That has to be some of the worst music I've ever heard in a flight sim video.

 

It's an instrumental of Mighty Wings from Top Gun, and probably why he picked it. 

It doesn't fit the video, but I'll be damned if I let anyone hate on the foremost song from that soundtrack 😁

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Dijital_Majik said:

 

It's an instrumental of Mighty Wings from Top Gun, and probably why he picked it. 

It doesn't fit the video, but I'll be damned if I let anyone hate on the foremost song from that soundtrack 😁

Yeah hoping he's being sarcastic if not, someone needs a little dip in holy fire.

 

edit: to be fair the video itself is beyond dumb.

Edited by Tycoon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just took the Harrier up for the first time on the new rig. (Had to reset all the controls on all my planes.) Couldn't use it at all on the Channel map before, now getting 50+FPS and it looks great. Perfectly suited for that map, very cool to VSTOL on those great looking grass airfields low cruise the hills.

 

Watched a good video on setting up your Nvidia card, really improved the image. Still can't find my Steam screenshots though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

Just took the Harrier up for the first time on the new rig. (Had to reset all the controls on all my planes.) Couldn't use it at all on the Channel map before, now getting 50+FPS and it looks great. Perfectly suited for that map, very cool to VSTOL on those great looking grass airfields low cruise the hills.

 

Watched a good video on setting up your Nvidia card, really improved the image. Still can't find my Steam screenshots though. 

Do you have a link to the video? I’ve not changed my settings since forever so wouldn’t mind seeing if I could get some improvements?

 

cheers

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TP_Scram said:

Do you have a link to the video? I’ve not changed my settings since forever so wouldn’t mind seeing if I could get some improvements?

 

cheers

 

This is the one. 

 

The biggest help for me was in the Nvidia graphics settings. Hope you enjoy.

 

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Now I am hyped on the Syria map. 

 

Day one purchase for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DCS world (not my cup of tea) has just released P-47D and retails on steam at £32.99 our Battle of Normandy with 10 planes and terrain looks like a real bargain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Different people have different desires and expectations when it comes to flight sims (or anything else, really). Having choices is good.

Edited by AndyJWest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, CB77Don246 said:

DCS world (not my cup of tea) has just released P-47D and retails on steam at £32.99 our Battle of Normandy with 10 planes and terrain looks like a real bargain.

The levels of detail between most DCS and GB planes are not comparable. There is a reason for the price difference.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, CB77Don246 said:

DCS world (not my cup of tea) has just released P-47D and retails on steam at £32.99 our Battle of Normandy with 10 planes and terrain looks like a real bargain.

 

Does it?

 

4a0DigitalCombatSimulat.jpg

 

Screen200613175533.jpg

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you are saying GB Planes are not as detailed as DCS, well for me GB planes look stunning.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

The levels of detail between most DCS and GB planes are not comparable. There is a reason for the price difference.

 

Yep, DCS has got to charge you extra for all those never to be finished products and bugs that will never be addressed 😂

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, CB77Don246 said:

So you are saying GB Planes are not as detailed as DCS, well for me GB planes look stunning.

 

They're not, its not a question for debate. That isn't necessarily a bad thing as it enables il2 to have many more planes, and both games have there distinct advantages. As Andy said, choice is good.

Edited by DD_fruitbat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, CB77Don246 said:

So you are saying GB Planes are not as detailed as DCS, well for me GB planes look stunning.

Graphics are somewhat subjective, and I'll say that to me newer DSC planes look sharper than GB planes, though some of the older ones are showing their age while older GB planes receive updates at a more rapid pace. But the real difference is the number of systems that are modeled. Flying in GB is much more of an arcade experience vs DCS, where you have to learn all the same systems that a real pilot would.

Edited by unlikely_spider
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Say anything about DCS, but P-47 feels like a real fighter aircraft there.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, DBFlyguy said:

 

Yep, DCS has got to charge you extra for all those never to be finished products and bugs that will never be addressed 😂

Yes, as with anything, more complexity is likely the source of more coding issues. For example, you can't really have a bug with radio procedures, or fuel systems, if they are not even modeled in your sim.

DCS does have its issues, and if you look under my username (same as here) on their forums, you will see me call them out for some of them that should have been caught before release. But that doesn't change the fact that the planes occupy a very different world when it comes to how they represent themselves.

 

I play both happily. In GB, when I'm surprised to hear, for example, that an unexpected P-38 campaign is dropped in our laps, I'll jump right in and enjoy it despite the fact that I've not spent more than 5 minutes in that plane beforehand. And I'll rack up a bunch of kills right away.

 

In DCS, I have to really plan ahead when it comes to which modules I want to learn. Some of them, especially modern planes, can take months to fully learn. The P-47 manual is over 200 pages. And that's a breeze compared to something like the Harrier or A-10c, which are 600 or 700 pages long.

 

The difference is highlighted most starkly in startup, where in GB I can jump in most any plane and start the engine and take off without any research at all. At most, I have to read the few paragraphs that they put in the info page. In DCS, starting a new plane without research is certainly impossible. I have a few laminated cards printed out for my owned modules that I use for startup procedures. It's always a memorable experience the first time I can start a plane without looking at the card, and that engine sputters to life and the temps and other needles start to rise. But I keep the cards handy because I'll likely need them again if I step away from that plane for a while and come back. It's more of a realistic experience than GB, which is simpler and easier.

 

But like I said, I love both and go back and forth depending on my mood.

Edited by unlikely_spider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AndyJWest said:

Different people have different desires and expectations when it comes to flight sims (or anything else, really). Having choices is good.

Plus different games should try and fill different niches and be good at different things. Its impossible for one game to be all things to all people...the ones that try don't tend to work out very well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

Yes, as with anything, more complexity is likely the source of more coding issues. For example, you can't really have a bug with radio procedures, or fuel systems, if they are not even modeled in your sim.

DCS does have its issues, and if you look under my username (same as here) on their forums, you will see me call them out for some of them that should have been caught before release. But that doesn't change the fact that the planes occupy a very different world when it comes to how they represent themselves.

 

I play both happily. In GB, when I'm surprised to hear, for example, that an unexpected P-38 campaign is dropped in our laps, I'll jump right in and enjoy it despite the fact that I've not spent more than 5 minutes in that plane beforehand. And I'll rack up a bunch of kills right away.

 

In DCS, I have to really plan ahead when it comes to which modules I want to learn. Some of them, especially modern planes, can take months to fully learn. The P-47 manual is over 200 pages. And that's a breeze compared to something like the Harrier or A-10c, which are 600 or 700 pages long.

 

The difference is highlighted most starkly in startup, where in GB I can jump in most any plane and start the engine and take off without any research at all. At most, I have to read the few paragraphs that they put in the info page. In DCS, starting a new plane without research is certainly impossible. I have a few laminated cards printed out for my owned modules that I use for startup procedures. It's always a memorable experience the first time I can start a plane without looking at the card, and that engine sputters to life and the temps and other needles start to rise. But I keep the cards handy because I'll likely need them again if I step away from that plane for a while and come back. It's more of a realistic experience than GB, which is simpler and easier.

 

But like I said, I love both and go back and forth depending on my mood.

I hear ya, I've got DCS too and several modules (Hornet, Viper, Harrier, Mirage, A-10C, Tomcat, Fishbed, FC3 and Supercarrier).  I definitely want more flight sims (civilian and combat) out there, definitely hoping to see a Falcon 5.0 from Microprose someday.  DCS has its strengths, there's definitely fun to be had when you don't encounter an annoying bug, I've just came to the realization, I'm really not a fan of how ED treats their customers and how they conduct business as a whole anymore.  The Supercarrier (which I pre-order in good faith) was my last DCS purchase until I see them truly get their act together across the board.  

 

In contrast, GB has just been knocking it out of the park, especially lately, are they perfect...no, I've got my list of things I wish the dev team did better too but I understand the decisions they've made and don't has a disdain for the organization like I do for ED.  Will I eventually get past my feelings towards DCS/ED eventually and start enjoying the game again... I hope so eventually.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, DBFlyguy said:

I hear ya, I've got DCS too and several modules (Hornet, Viper, Harrier, Mirage, A-10C, Tomcat, Fishbed, FC3 and Supercarrier).  I definitely want more flight sims (civilian and combat) out there, definitely hoping to see a Falcon 5.0 from Microprose someday.  DCS has its strengths, there's definitely fun to be had when you don't encounter an annoying bug, I've just came to the realization, I'm really not a fan of how ED treats their customers and how they conduct business as a whole anymore.  The Supercarrier (which I pre-order in good faith) was my last DCS purchase until I see them truly get their act together across the board.  

 

In contrast, GB has just been knocking it out of the park, especially lately, are they perfect...no, I've got my list of things I wish the dev team did better too but I understand the decisions they've made and don't has a disdain for the organization like I do for ED.  Will I eventually get past my feelings towards DCS/ED eventually and start enjoying the game again... I hope so eventually.  

I see. I don't have the Super Carrier, though I did consider it when hearing that Baltic Dragon was coming out with a campaign that takes place on it. Scripted campaigns are my primary thing in sims, and the BD campaigns are simply the most cinematic and immersive experience that I've seen in any flight sims, hands down. And the simple reason that you don't see a BoN badge under my name is the lack of news about scripted campaigns for it. I'm sure they will come in time, and I'll buy it then. I got bored quick with the built-in career.

 

But those are valid points concerning EA modules in DCS. After reading their statement about the F-16 taking a back seat to other modules in near-term development, I am glad I didn't drop $70 on that thing. Early Access modules on DCS are fairly viewed with scepticism, that is true.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CB77Don246 said:

So you are saying GB Planes are not as detailed as DCS, well for me GB planes look stunning.

 

The GB planes are beautiful and you can get great performance with a lot of them in the air. And the A2A action in GB is gorgeous and the damage modelling is really good.

 

DCS has better maps and lighting, more detailed planes, and a better mission editor. 

 

Both are a lot of fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having spent the past couple of weeks trying to learn how to land the Harrier in something vaguely resembling a safe manner, my Hornet skills have been rather neglected:

 

Come-left.png

 

Needless to say, the LSO-bot called a waveoff, but at this point, it was rather academic anyway. Short of pulling a Pugachev's Cobra along the deck (which probably requires a little more airspeed), I was going to hit something, regardless. Somehow, it turned out to be a wire (the 4th one, I think), rather than the nearest parked Hornet. I think I'm going to move it before I try again. And try to improve my alignment...

 

The LSO-bot's assessment. Probably fair enough, in the circumstances:
LSO-bot-disapproves.png

 

The latest beta build has fixed some of the more annoying bugs introduced in the previous one, which is good. Though they seem to have introduced some new ones, which isn't. Then again, it wouldn't be DCS if they didn't...

 

 

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Arthur-A said:

Say anything about DCS, but P-47 feels like a real fighter aircraft there.

I landed it and before I did I reduced speed a little too much 100 mph

I throttled up and had to take the stick all the way to left and same with rudders to prevent it to go around its own axis. 
This Torque effect is well described by pilots, DCS got something right going with the physics  You can really feel that in choppers. The P 47 is just a gem. Love it

14 hours ago, CB77Don246 said:

So you are saying GB Planes are not as detailed as DCS, well for me GB planes look stunning.


It is not about how it looks. But how it acts. 
How it feels and you really get a sense of sitting in a brute of a fighter.  P 47 in GB is 

a pussy compared to DCS. 
Youcan feel the torque effect , or rather it will slap you in your face if not careful. 
they are like day and night. GB bring a lot of other stuff DCS have not. 
And the P 47 in DCS looks better but that is not the point

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh my aching wallet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Archie said:

Oh my aching wallet!

 

I feel your pain, pre-ordered today also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...