28 minutes ago, Hoots said:

That thing looks like 1000 accidents waiting to happen... helicopters really are an attempt to beat physics into submission. Dangerous, unnatural things.

+10000000000:(

11 hours ago, dburne said:

Love the KA-50, need to get my controllers set back up for it and have another go, been a long time.

One can do some serious killing in that machine. Probably the only one I truly learned most of the way anyhow. I am sure I have forgot a lot by now.

I remembered all. But doing it too slow got too close being too naive and stupid. 
I can fly it but nor survived it

6 minutes ago, 361st_Porkie- said:

anyone compare the DCS p-47 to the IL2 p-47 yet? 

Might want to wait for the updated FM for the IL-2 P-47 that is coming I guess next update.

19 minutes ago, dburne said:

Might want to wait for the updated FM for the IL-2 P-47 that is coming I guess next update.

Should probably wait until the DCS P-47 has had more work done too. It is very much 'early access' apparently.

32 minutes ago, dburne said:

9 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

Should probably wait until the DCS P-47 has had more work done too. It is very much 'early access' apparently.

This. DCS P-47 feels better to fly but it's still very early and WIP. With the new Il2 P-47 coming along with some fm revisions it might change my viewpoint of either product, too early to get a fair comparison right now.

Posted (edited)

My latest feather to my DCS bow....

Dropping 4 JDAM's in one go against 4 different targets located and locked with the Tpod....

Very satisfying hitting 4 different targets from 20,000 feet in one go......

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DD_fruitbat said:

My latest feather to my DCS bow....

Dropping 4 JDAM's in one go against 4 different targets located and locked with the Tpod....

Very satisfying hitting 4 different targets from 20,000 feet in one go......

I can do that in the Harrier, but not in the F-18 yet. I think I did 8 or 10 once in the Harrier, takes a while to set up, but it's a good show to watch.

And just bought the 109 on sale. I enjoyed it during the free trial, and with the Channel map, I want to dodge flak and see if I can take out a radar antenna.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

I can do that in the Harrier, but not in the F-18 yet. I think I did 8 or 10 once in the Harrier, takes a while to set up, but it's a good show to watch.

And just bought the 109 on sale. I enjoyed it during the free trial, and with the Channel map, I want to dodge flak and see if I can take out a radar antenna.

I don't have the Harrier, so have know idea what its like in that. Most you can do in the Hornet is 8, and its relatively easy if you do it through pre known waypoints on each target (or even getting them from the map in mission). The ball ache is doing it on the fly in mission via the Tpod, especially using the duel racks. There's a reason why my vid didn't have 8 JDAM's, lol

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Upvote 1

I prefer blowing stuff up the old-fashioned way:

HBB1.jpg

HBB2.jpg

Dumb bombs are cheaper than smart ones, so it keeps the boss happy, too. 😉

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

I prefer blowing stuff up the old-fashioned way:

HBB1.jpg

HBB2.jpg

Dumb bombs are cheaper than smart ones, so it keeps the boss happy, too. 😉

Low level CCIP isn't a recipe for success,  against anything that wants to shoot back with missiles though.....

On 6/25/2020 at 2:25 PM, TP_Scram said:

I'm tempted yet again to get the Mig-21.  I always think about it but then don't at the last second.

I have so many modules that i barely touch, I just reckon this might be another.  I lover the Mig-19 but hardly ever use it.

Anyone have opinions on the 21?

If you're interested in learning oldschool systems of the Russian jet, look elsewhere, because many of the weapon- and nav-related ones in the MiG are either non-realistic, or broken (as a result of simplifications made years ago during initial development and code rewrites attempted by the devs now to remedy the situation). On the other hand, if you like flying strictly "analog" and somewhat primitive, oldschool jet just for the fun and challenge of it, the -21 is a great choice.

Posted (edited)
On 6/26/2020 at 6:13 PM, dburne said:

Yes but the hopes is not high. Considering where they put it on performance chart compared to opponents. 

On 6/26/2020 at 6:36 PM, AndyJWest said:

I agree it is pretty good but seems unfinnished. 

I do not deal with technical stuff. I only got a assumption on how it should be and perform out of books and articles. 
I would say DCS in that regard is closest. It is not dead meat at lower altitudes but still got its setbacks. 

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

I am currently in the learning process of the IL-2 P-47. Don't know that I will try out the DCS one even though I have it already due to Kickstarter, as I prefer IL-2 for the WW2 stuff and DCS for the jets and choppers.

8 minutes ago, dburne said:

I am currently in the learning process of the IL-2 P-47. Don't know that I will try out the DCS one even though I have it already due to Kickstarter, as I prefer IL-2 for the WW2 stuff and DCS for the jets and choppers.

Until P 47 came it was the same for me. 

Anyone know if you buy through steam you can transfer the module in the standalone version?

Thinking of getting the F14 but it will be over $100Aud after conversion on DSC website Vs $87aud on steam.

22 hours ago, Art-J said:

If you're interested in learning oldschool systems of the Russian jet, look elsewhere, because many of the weapon- and nav-related ones in the MiG are either non-realistic, or broken (as a result of simplifications made years ago during initial development and code rewrites attempted by the devs now to remedy the situation). On the other hand, if you like flying strictly "analog" and somewhat primitive, oldschool jet just for the fun and challenge of it, the -21 is a great choice.

Thanks - appreciate the advice

10 hours ago, Tyberan said:

Anyone know if you buy through steam you can transfer the module in the standalone version?

Thinking of getting the F14 but it will be over $100Aud after conversion on DSC website Vs $87aud on steam.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/steam/

Sweet, might get it then.

18 hours ago, Redwo1f said:

I am just wondering if I could ask, do any of you run any DCE campaigns?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=191858

...and if so, how are you actually finding this dynamic campaign engine for DCS? Anybody with any experience care to comment?

Few months ago spent many hours with those.

Certainly better than most of the single player offerings, in my view. However ground targets are all static, and the AI has no strategy at all. They just rect to the presence of your flights by sending up interceptors. Also the AI of your wingmen is problematic. Most times they can't attack ground targets and SEAD flights are very poor.

In conclusion the original effort by Mbot to code DCE is great, but the tool used (DCS) is inadequate.

• Thanks 1

What's better than 4 bombs, well eight bombs of course...

Thought I'd give this elegant beast a go. Weird Russian ILS takes some getting used to, and keeping the speed stable is tricky. Having to fly in through a thick plume of smoke is rather distracting, though apparently entirely authentic. 😉

SuK1.png

SuK2.png

Not an elegant landing. Steep, and misaligned. No LSO-bot to tell me how bad I was though, for now at least. If they add one, will he grade me in Russian?

• Upvote 1

A 1 wire to the gulag for you

Some TOMCAT fun (has to be said TOMCAT, not Tomcat, see C. W. Lemoine's channel for explanation, lol). Me vs 4 Mig 25's,

And then some low level dicking around cause its a lot of fun.... 

• Haha 1

Further misadventures in marine aviation...

Harrier time. Trying to learn how to land the thing on a ship. Seemed better to practice on a CVN, since it gives a little more room. My first attempt was more of a collision than a landing, though it taught me one useful lesson - if you come down hard enough, you will bounce, giving the opportunity to try again a second or so later. 😳

My second sortie was educational too. Can you see what is wrong in these photos?

Screen-200704-182925.png

Screen-200704-182836.png

Screen-200704-182857.png

I'd given myself plenty of room and (fortunately) altitude to establish myself in a stable approach. Which worked well enough up to a point. And then this happened. I expect experienced Harrier pilots will spot the mistake. It took me some time, and some wild manoeuvres, before I figured it out what I'd done. It started as I slowed down,  well behind the ship. Or thought I had. Strangely though, the CV seemed to be going away from me rather fast.  The HUD said I was doing 30 kt. The wind over deck was 20 kt. The carrier was moving away at 50 kt...

Yup, that's right, I was going backwards. Which a Harrier will do, if you move the nozzles back all the way. 😃 Or at least, it will for a bit. Eventually though, aerodynamics will overcome idiocy as you accelerate backwards, and it will try to flip round to point into the direction it is moving. And perform all sorts of wild gyrations as it does so. Hence me ending up 80° nose down, at 470 ft, descending at 900 fpm and 20 kt, with the HUD reading an AoA of 'your guess is as good as mine'. Somehow I managed to recover, only to go thorough the same gyrations again before I finally realised what was happening. And more to the point, why. 

Having twigged the problem, I moved the nozzles forward to the approved 82° position, 🙄 confirmed that I was (more or less) in control in a hover, and set off after the carrier. The actual landing was as gentle as I've managed in the Harrier so far, though the LSO seemed to be rather upset that I wasn't using any of the fancy wire things they've got draped across the deck. 😀

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

You should eventually enter your callsign.

How about "Beep Beep Bepp"?

Edited by Bremspropeller

2 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

My second sortie was educational too. Can you see what is wrong in these photos?

Screen-200704-182836.png

You're a wee bit steep on your angle, back off just a hair and you're in like Flint.

• Haha 1

Due to no flying for a month. I cooled off the interest a bit. I imagine Harrier time will get me into it again. Long tome have passed since I sat in that pit. Nice maneuvers Andy. I envy your persistence

On 7/5/2020 at 5:28 AM, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Due to no flying for a month. I cooled off the interest a bit. I imagine Harrier time will get me into it again. Long tome have passed since I sat in that pit. Nice maneuvers Andy. I envy your persistence

I bought the 109, it had to happen. I wanted a German prop to hop the Channel in. Not many, if any, of the planes left interest me. One or two of the upcoming ones look good though.

And the Syria map is another Day One purchase.

3 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

And the Syria map is another Day One purchase.

I have to admit, the latest hype-trailer had me at "Ramat-David Airbase"....

• Upvote 2

Another video of the syria map:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Give me the map!

Take my money! 

7 hours ago, nirvi said:

Another video of the syria map:

The head offset is driving me nuts, I keep tilting my head to the side to try and get my headtracking right lol

The evenly spread trees with the same density on hill tops and valleys look very unnatural.

1 hour ago, OpticFlow said:

The evenly spread trees with the same density on hill tops and valleys look very unnatural.

It is areas looking like that. I would wait and see on release. 
Personally I am not that hyped on it, but I guess I will be

5 hours ago, OpticFlow said:

Several Israelis on the DCS forum say otherwise....

1 hour ago, DD_fruitbat said:

Several Israelis on the DCS forum say otherwise....

To each his own...