On 1/18/2020 at 11:05 AM, simfan2015 said:

DCS Supercarrier for a mere 25 USD makes it sheer impossible not to get it ! ūüôā

Yeah I certainly grabbed it.

Looking forward to flying the Hornet off of it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Yeah I certainly grabbed it.

Looking forward to flying the Hornet off of it.

Still waiting for the sale to hit Steam. No carrier pre-order there, but still. Might bag another plane.

And last night were my first (successful) nighttime rough seas high winds VTOL landings on a carrier. Damn good fun! I'm going to have a hard time passing on that fancy new supercarrier.

• Like 1

[edited]

Found these on DCS screenshot 

3F924EE5-E0EE-47AB-8017-785A4103E9B4.jpeg

7E1B4AF3-27A9-4BBB-A15D-846503D4AA21.jpeg

57770F92-DED4-4445-A261-F131FA8190F4.jpeg

Edited by SYN_Haashashin
rules, rules...

They're working on the same things:o:, I hope Il-2 GB won't be late.

f440c9c71a3e99d6977d4ffb4e1faf0a6e50a549.thumb.jpg.45ea9a9a4d32f065bf90cd3ffc3841d6.jpg

20ba4c39d71d1cf67c6b59ee6d0a217fa1b63cfa.thumb.jpg.08240a4beef5eda18627c63de4340c15.jpg

that Ju 88 will be ai.

I want, I insist, I demand!!!... to have both sims. More planes, more maps, more fun!

Bought the Su-25A on sale last night, $10, good fun. A fast, tough little bomb truck with very few bells and whistles. But it carries 160 rockets and goes stinky fast. And that's a good thing. :biggrin: 

Still have a few bucks in my Steam wallet. Maybe just one more plane...

I agree. I have both and switch back and forth frequently. I am single-player only, and don't do modern planes in DCS. My opinion:

• IL-2: More variety in maps and planes. Dozens of possible enemy types and more maps. Campaigns are generally well done and I never tire of the Kuban map especially. I tend to get bored with a specific plane quickly though, as they are generally very simple to learn to operate.
  • DCS: The enemies you encounter in WW2 campaigns are very limited, since there are only a half-dozen different planes, and no German bombers yet. So it's pretty predictable what you'll be doing when you set out. However, the plane systems are much deeper and it's difficult to get back into one that I haven't flown in a while unless I look at manual/tutorials again. It's really rewarding to learn each and every system thoroughly however. The few campaigns that are available are well produced though. Good voice-overs and immersion for the assets that are available.
  • The summary, I guess, is that IL-2 is better for everything outside of the cockpit, and DCS is better for everything within.
Edited by unlikely_spider

4 hours ago, unlikely_spider said:

The summary, I guess, is that IL-2 is better for everything outside of the cockpit, and IL-2 is better for everything within.

Saved for posterity in case of later edit.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Oyster_KAI said:

They're working on the same things:o:, I hope Il-2 GB won't be late.

LOL! I'm also a DCS fan, but I don't see them beating IL2 to delivering a fleshed out plane set for Normandy. That Ju88 was promised when, 2-3¬†years back? Along with a bunch of other (AI) planes of which we have seen little to nothing. Not that it matters much to me. The DCS aircraft tend to be of high quality and at least the WW2 ones I can actually start manually. With the¬†jets it is just too much procedures and acronyms which some people find very exciting, but is boring for me. To each his¬†own I guess (Just too be sure: I do love the jets and fly them, just not the waiting 8 min for INS to calibrate bit ūüėČ)

Edited by SYN_Vander
  • Upvote 1

I have DCS for the Jets and Choppers. 

Il-2 GB for WWII. (my first love).

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Saved for posterity in case of later edit.

Aah, you got me there. I'm editing now!

21 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

Aah, you got me there. I'm editing now!

When it comes to WW2, you got it right the first time.:)

I fly the I 16 a great deal. Dunno why, it simply appeal to me more than the one in GB in VR. 
But any improvement, is well, a improvement. 

What we like better vs another game is not interesting, what is, is the fact we do spend time in both for a reason. 
I am happy for those finding GB perfect and flawless. To me it simply do not cover all my desires, but the things it cover it does well. I guess I can say the same about DCS, the modules I fly I love, and that is it

Edited by No.322_LuseKofte
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, dburne said:

I have DCS for the Jets and Choppers. 

Il-2 GB for WWII. (my first love).

Exactly that. Almost. I like flying the P51 and Yak-52 for sightseeing on the Nevada and Persian Gulf maps. Get the lighting right and the scenery is gorgeous.

DCS for me is a big flightsim sandbox. I use the __________ __________ non stop. I set something up, try it with this plane, then that plane, then change things around, then try it on a different map, and on and on. That's the fun for me. Endless SP content creation with a lot of variety made fun and easy. That is 99% of the reason I spent $250 on DCS modules in the last two-months. If DCS didn't have a fun and easy __________ __________ I would not have bought the planes.

SP content creation made fun and easy. That's the ballgame for me. Whoever gives me more gets my money.

Jug "office":

attachment.php?attachmentid=226262&stc=1

Channel

attachment.php?attachmentid=226270&stc=1

• Like 2

Thinking I'll skip the P-47. Was never one of my favorite planes. Maybe on sale later on, not for full price. Really looking forward to the OV-10 if it ever comes to life. That would be an instant purchase. For the moment still having good fun with the Harrier. There's something satanically satisfying about dropping JDAMs from 40,000' and hitting a parked car thirty-miles away. 

Good to hear 2.5.6 coming out early February. Supposed to be some nice changes with the graphics. The night lighting is supposed to be improved, that should be really good with the airports.

im actually pretty exited for this module!! cant wait to see how it turns out!! does someone know a guesstimate of what the price will be?

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, catchthefoxes said:

im actually pretty exited for this module!! cant wait to see how it turns out!! does someone know a guesstimate of what the price will be?

$50 to $60 I'd guess

1 hour ago, Sokol1 said:

Jug "office":

attachment.php?attachmentid=226262&stc=1

Channel

attachment.php?attachmentid=226270&stc=1

tenor.gif.80868ac07705577c6eb381d85edc30f9.gif

40 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Thinking I'll skip the P-47. Was never one of my favorite planes.

Heretic!!

Edited by Jaws2002
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jaws2002 said:

Heretic!!

I was being nice and letting you have it in case they only make one. :)

I much prefer the P-38.

The BOX version of which is just fargin' lovely!

29 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

This is Fargin War! after all.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

I was being nice and letting you have it in case they only make one. :)

I much prefer the P-38.

I like the P-38 quite a bit, but the Jug is my favorite US Plane. It's a brute of a plane,¬† meant to kill you and it looks like it wants to kill you.ūüėć

Edited by Jaws2002
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Jaws2002 said:

but the Jug is my favorite US Plane. It's a brute of a plane,¬† meant to kill you and it looks like it wants to kill you.ūüėć

Yep, especially the razorback.

• Upvote 1

I hope the BOX team will take this DCS map as a kind of inspiration/learning lesson of how to populate a map for their upcoming BON.

This is how Europe looks like: a densily populated naturally organized chaos.

Not the isolated islands of houses in a green see like BOBP is currently.

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, Uufflakke said:

I hope the BOX team will take this DCS map as a kind of inspiration/learning lesson of how to populate a map for their upcoming BON.

This!

+1000000

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Uufflakke said:

It’s not that simple unfortunately - there is performance to consider.

I agree, BOX needs to catch up in that regard.

The current map style with clusters of towns and then completely deserted miles of land is outdated and is just a way to optimize performance and reduce work for map makers. Competitors like DCS and FS are pulling ahead and IL2 has some catch up to do.

Even with the current system, you could easily sprinkle farmhouses and barns across the map with a very small performance hit, especially if they repeat the same handful of objects.

The devs are fantastic and I know they are limited by the team's size, budget, time, and resources. We cannot get everything at once, but I do hope that this is an item they will consider working on once they have the opportunity.

• Upvote 1

I think buildings in GB demand more resources than buildings in DCS. And some things in DCS demands more than GB

At this moment I find both very smooth in VR 

Usually earlier One of them gave stutter

3 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

It’s not that simple unfortunately - there is performance to consider.

No kidding. I easily get 2x to 3x the FPS in BOX.

DCS is good fun, and there are some aspects of it I like better than BOX, but close up A2A action with 16 planes in BOX is butter smooth and with a good damage model. No way I'm going to get that in DCS.

One must remember also that the ai in BoX uses the same flight model as the player. I'm no expert, by a long way, but that must affect computing, and therefore fps, power? I wonder if given a FC fedelity ww2 module with improved ai flight models in DCS would increase performance in DCS. Both games have different approaches but I would love to see a DCS "quality" rhineland map. I played both games today, the atmosphere, map, sounds, tracer effects all impressed me immensely in DCS. The lack of flyables in DCS as well as the one WW2 map disapoints me. If DCS were to start releasing FC fedelity WW2 modules, therefore speeding up production, they would be hard to beat.

I have to admit I'm getting frustrated with BOX. The maps are good, the planes are gorgeous(!), the atmospherics are great, the FPS are great, but the SP content creation is.................. weak. And maybe it's just me, but I'm all about fun and easy SP content creation. In BOX I'm stuck in the QMB and I get bored pretty quick. I used to fly 90% BOX and 10% DCS. That's changing fast and it's a shame. I've been with IL2 though every single version since the demo came out 20 years ago on a PC Gamer CD.

8 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

I have to admit I'm getting frustrated with BOX. The maps are good, the planes are gorgeous(!), the atmospherics are great, the FPS are great, but the SP content creation is.................. weak. And maybe it's just me, but I'm all about fun and easy SP content creation. In BOX I'm stuck in the QMB and I get bored pretty quick. I used to fly 90% BOX and 10% DCS. That's changing fast and it's a shame. I've been with IL2 though every single version since the demo came out 20 years ago on a PC Gamer CD.

You and me are alike. I simply cannot relate to the SP content in GB. Except for a few scripted campaigns. I cannot really put it in another word than relating to the story. Flying online I fall prey to those with single purpose to bounce a heavy loaded easy pray, still I think I got more fun than them. DCS got campaigns I can believe in. 
And as you say, at the same time I love GB to bits

21 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

You and me are alike. I simply cannot relate to the SP content in GB. Except for a few scripted campaigns. I cannot really put it in another word than relating to the story. Flying online I fall prey to those with single purpose to bounce a heavy loaded easy pray, still I think I got more fun than them. DCS got campaigns I can believe in. 
And as you say, at the same time I love GB to bits

I've never played a DCS campaign so I am curious what they are doing better than GB. Maybe some of the DCS campaign features can be reproduced in GB missions/campaigns.

9 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

That's changing fast and it's a shame.

You're getting fond of getting shot at by S300 (or so) SAM missiles flying a Spitfire? Thats what "QMB" in DCS gives me. DCS and single player is bout the most frustrating combination I can think of in a game.

7 minutes ago, Juri_JS said:

I've never played a DCS campaign so I am curious what they are doing better than GB.

That I wonder as well. I mean, it is for sure different if you use a more modern jet to go and bomb stuff, as you are fast or at least have more options in how to reach and deal with your target. But DCS with the props (once they'll be featured in a reasonable way) would face the same constraints as GB does. The game mode is literally identical. 

Edited by ZachariasX

Can't wait for the P-47, gonna be great to fly. The map looks great and is one thing DCS does really well imo, BoX could definitely do with a bit more work on the maps.

I'm not bashing Il2, I play it more than DCS by far, but the maps lack atmosphere compared to DCS.  This is most noticeable in Rhineland map, it's just major cites/towns and no farms or small villages, also lacks  major industry and rail networks. Overall Rhineland just doesn't feel alive compared to previous maps like Stalingrad or DCS maps.

1 hour ago, Juri_JS said:

I've never played a DCS campaign so I am curious what they are doing better than GB. Maybe some of the DCS campaign features can be reproduced in GB missions/campaigns.

The ai do their job, your crew talks and are part of the story. Ai opponents are dangerous if you do not pay attention. Actors are making radio calls that are relevant to the mission and for that mission. Very dense logistics with a lot going on. There is a story through out. You feel realism 

2 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

You're getting fond of getting shot at by S300 (or so) SAM missiles flying a Spitfire? Thats what "QMB" in DCS gives me. DCS and single player is bout the most frustrating combination I can think of in a game.

I'm talking about the _________ __________. It's in-game, fast and easy to use, and does a ton of stuff. As mentioned I can jump back and forth from flying to the ________ ________ and back again in seconds.

I want my P-51 with rockets against one tank of my choice. Done in seconds. Now bombs and two different tanks. Done in seconds. Now move the tanks over there, add some flak and a bunker over there,  and throw in a 109. Done in seconds. Now do the whole thing but on a different map. Done in seconds.That's what I'm talking about. Fun and easy SP content creation.