Dear god! that stream..

unknown.png

Nice way of introducing new plane :)

Edited by SYN_Vander

Corsair is a cool plane. And I buy it just for that reason. One can do a Korea scenario with it

But as always we have planes like I 16 to now soon to come Corsair. One could cry, or one can swallow another pill of what could have been, and move on. 
In my mind it is great and a tragic thing at the same time

14 hours ago, Sokol1 said:

Soon, Corsair's over Normandy. 😜

The Brits had it. So it's not totally misplaced. ;)

And the French had it too. So You can pretend to fly it in 1947 on a training sortie in Northern France. 😄

Edited by Blooddawn1942

S!

That "Whistling Death" looks awesome. Have liked Corsair since kid and of course watched Black Sheep series...😀

On 12/6/2019 at 8:01 PM, Danziger said:

So is this the one that was promised to come with the F-14?

Ohh so now they promised you something? Interesting.

• Haha 1

On 12/6/2019 at 7:01 PM, Danziger said:

So is this the one that was promised to come with the F-14? 

I'm still waiting for that map that was promised with the Viggen...

The carriers? no, the one coming with the F-14 is the Forrestal-class. These are for a separate module with full deck crew etc 

8 hours ago, InProgress said:

Ohh so now they promised you something? Interesting.

They pinky swore. That's the new word.

DCS F-22 Raptor 

F22 Air Dominance Fighter of 1997 as example 

Edited by RAY-EU

On 12/10/2019 at 2:49 PM, RAY-EU said:

DCS F-22 Raptor 

F22 Air Dominance Fighter of 1997 as example 

Novalogic F-22 Lightning 3 (1999):

• Upvote 1

& Prototype DCS Sukhoi Su-57 

DCS Su57 take off Russian project carrier Shtorm 120.000 tons displacement planed for 2020 

Planning for China also with the J-20 & J-31 stealth fighters

Edited by RAY-EU

On 12/7/2019 at 2:44 PM, Uufflakke said:

There's a Corsair in the making by Leatherneck for DCS in case you didn't know:

https://forums.mudspike.com/t/leatherneck-f4u-1d-corsair/7756/20

And according the information the Corsair F4U-1D will be shown for the very first time during a live stream at https://www.virtual-airshows.com/live/ at 23:20 GMT today the 7th of December.

7c41d133da02bf78d90d01947b50f10bf572b5c4

+ Landing on a carrier deck:

Seems Zero is coming too (from phil style youtube channel)!

I hope they'll get more focus on PTO than they did with Normandy so we can really recreate and feel pto battles (ww2 carriers and other ships, map, torpedo tech, bombers).

High hopes but still!

Looking forward to fly it in VR as being my favourite ww2 theatre but not going to purchase it to fly only one plane on wrong map and out of native enviroment so i hope they'll do this right! 

Screenshot_20191213-030012_YouTube.thumb.jpg.ea45fd99185eeef4203895607a5217f8.jpg

Capture.thumb.PNG.18135553201e1384f1ce1c7b8d9d58d3.PNG

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

Seems Zero is coming too (from phil style youtube channel)!

I hope they'll get more focus on PTO than they did with Normandy so we can really recreate and feel pto battles (ww2 carriers and other ships, map, torpedo tech, bombers).

High hopes but still!

A Pearl Harbor map for the Zero and Corsair to fight over is probably almost ready.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

...so we can really recreate and feel (of)

That sentence and DCS/WWII just don't go together.

• Upvote 1

Zero means you can also recreate The Final Countdown now.   You just have to pretend that the Japanese were bombing Las Vegas. 

• Haha 1

The funny thing is that Great Battles has a head-start on DCS with regard to the Pacific, even if they haven't started yet.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

That sentence and DCS/WWII just don't go together.

Pretty much, they are all over the place.

I won't make the same mistake i did with Normandy modules (alas only Spit was worth).

I won't rush for it, i'll wait and see, i'm fan of scenery rather than individual plane.

If they make map, carrier/fleet, few fighters/f-bombers and at least one torpedo operated plane i'm in no matter the cost.....so i have 5-10years to decide😄

12 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

A Pearl Harbor map for the Zero and Corsair to fight over is probably almost ready.

3 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

Zero means you can also recreate The Final Countdown now.   You just have to pretend that the Japanese were bombing Las Vegas. 

Wouldn't be suprised heh!

I notice that’s an early model A6M2.  Not exactly an ideal match for the Corsair.  But why start now I suppose.  

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

I notice that’s an early model A6M2.  Not exactly an ideal match for the Corsair.  But why start now I suppose.  

The devs confirmed it should be an A6M5, check @EAF_Ribbon post.

In any case the A6M2 were used far longer than new models were introduced, especially in the fighter-bomber and the "special attack" role. Even at the Phillipine Sea several Japanese carriers had them in place of their usual dive bombers because the D3A were scarce and the D4Y couldn't operate on some of them

Thanks.  Viewing the small image on my phone, the prominent gun troughs on the cowling and the lack of wing armament made it look like a model 21

BTW also included in the latest update are pictures of the new WW11 aircraft damage models, it does look good but for the rest?  Oh I know in another 10 years maybe.

I flew the I 16 for the first time in VR. I must say DCS scale and pilot pow is much better in DCS

A absolute treat flying. I think I flew instant action 3 hours last night with it, killing humwees and other modern vehicles. 
It simply have no place but I love it

6 hours ago, No.322_LuseKofte said:

I flew the I 16 for the first time in VR. (..)
It simply have no place but I love it

I can totally relate.. I bought the I-16 and love the module, as it is really nicely done and super fun to fly, it is just that it is so pointless in what the rest of DCS has... Or as someone jokingly said: now you can finally play the traditional war thunder scenarios of early war russian planes defending Normandy from the british invasion.. ;=)

Still no regrets, the I-16 is very enjoyable.

• Haha 1

I'm a bit disappointed by the results. I hope devs will fix those issues soon.

I hope he used the same amount of fuel for each plane and didn’t just set both DCS and IL to 100% !

7 hours ago, SYN_Vander said:

I hope he used the same amount of fuel for each plane and didn’t just set both DCS and IL to 100% !

He used corresponding fuel amounts.

This video is also discussed in the P-51 FM thread.

I agree with the IL-2 P-51 having oversensitive elevator control.  IMO so do the Spitfires in-game as well.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Mobile_BBQ said:

I agree with the IL-2 P-51 having oversensitive elevator control.  IMO so do the Spitfires in-game as well.  

I find the real Spit having an extremely sensitive elevator. It is not harmonized at all with the ailerons for larger stick deflections in maneuvering. It is like if you installed cams in your joystick such that pulling requires less than a quarter of the force required for rolling. It was surprisingly difficult initially to make her nose quickly pointed where you want. You need to retrain your muscle memory to do so. But once you get the hang of it, it's easy. In this sense I find the in game Spitfire asks for a similar adjustment and feels reasonably similar in flight (as much as it can, lacking stick forces and geometry). It is of note that moving the elevator does not in any way cause the plane to oscillate. I don't think it is the weak point.

I would much prefer if the devs took a closer look at trim and attitude over the speed range (and flaps settings in some planes).

1 hour ago, ZachariasX said:

I find the real Spit having an extremely sensitive elevator. It is not harmonized at all with the ailerons for larger stick deflections in maneuvering. It is like if you installed cams in your joystick such that pulling requires less than a quarter of the force required for rolling. It was surprisingly difficult initially to make her nose quickly pointed where you want. You need to retrain your muscle memory to do so. But once you get the hang of it, it's easy. In this sense I find the in game Spitfire asks for a similar adjustment and feels reasonably similar in flight (as much as it can, lacking stick forces and geometry). It is of note that moving the elevator does not in any way cause the plane to oscillate. I don't think it is the weak point.

I would much prefer if the devs took a closer look at trim and attitude over the speed range (and flaps settings in some planes).

I see your point.  Thank You for sharing your experience.  

For me, the 51 feels almost copy/pasted from the Spitfire elevator response.  I admit, I'm on the fence about how I feel with these two planes.  I have found that if I ignore the preset-at-spawn trim settings for the 51 and zero them out, then set the yaw trim like the RL settings the video's creator gives, taking off and getting the plane trimmed for (mostly) hands-free flight seems easier.  I totally ignore the trim wheels/tech chat and go on feel and the slip bubble.  After that, the plane feels like it's a performer.  I can stay smooth and feather-touch the controls to get what I want from it.  

(I use as little sensitivity setting on my control axes as possible and since it seems that deadzone is the real cause of "control/rudder wobble" I use 0%.)

Otherwise, if I don't take the first 5 minutes or so after takeoff to 'settle in' to flying the plane and get it trimmed, it feels lethargic speed and acceleration-wise and also feels like Jello during an earthquake.  I can't just jump into instant action with it.  

The Spitfire is almost the same except, I don't actually know the RL trim settings for takeoff.  If you could relay them here, I would certainly be grateful.  I'd like to try them. 

I kind of just seat-of-the-pants it off the runway with the developer-preset on-spawn trims but, I press the Reset All Trims button once I'm in the air and start working it into a stable setting from there.  

P.S. I really wish the devs would give us the option to spawn in with the trim presets set at neutral so I could dial them in myself. It's just a pain to remember to set it all at zero every time.  All the planes start on the spawn point with "at best speed" trim already set. It makes the planes harder to fly than they should be If you leave them unchanged. 

2 minutes ago, Mobile_BBQ said:

The Spitfire is almost the same except, I don't actually know the RL trim settings for takeoff.  If you could relay them here, I would certainly be grateful. 

I don't think I can help you there too much (I think the gane doesn't exactly reflect the real aircrafts trim, as you can see on the elevator position), but you can find that out yourself rather easily. Takeoff trim is the trim for the climb once you leave the ground.

So just spawn midair at low altitide and then use your climb setting (e.g. +8 or +12 boost, 2850 rpm, or whatever you  like) and trim it to climb hands off at your desired climb speed and note down the trim "%" for rudder and elevator. You the set them before takeoff.

In flight, the Spit is very easy reagarding trim. Once you level out and go for cruise, trim the elevator until she's hands off and then do the same with ethe rudder trim for the "turn&bank" needle to cernter. The Spit hardly requires re-trim unless you're climbing or diving at high power. Basically you do the re-trim once and you're good and you are free to look outside. For landing when deploying gear and flaps, you'll trim her again.

2 hours ago, Mobile_BBQ said:

The Spitfire is almost the same except, I don't actually know the RL trim settings for takeoff.  If you could relay them here, I would certainly be grateful.  I'd like to try them. 

By the book, trim for take off is "One division nose down" for elevator, which corresponds to one tick above the middle of the indicator, neutral is not the middle of the scale but half way up.   "Fully Starboard" for rudder.  Or just watch Requiem:

Given that our Spitfires always feel oddly nose heavy I am not sure that the results in the game mirror RL very well, but you can take off well enough like this. 

S!

Maybe this excess trim is a feature or bug in the general FM that needs to be checked? Not just for one plane. All the IL-2 planes seem to fly nose up rather than level or even slightly nose down(like P51 or Bf109 among others). Very informative video, thanks for sharing.

• Upvote 1