Han

Developer Diary 237 - Discussion

5 Variants of the Hurricane...I nearly fell of my sus.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

All we need is a map of Hong Kong or Singapore, a Brewster, some Zekes, Val's, and a Japanese twin engine bomber of one flavor or another...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ww2fighter20 said:

Any chance we would be able to carry British bombs?

It'd be nice to have some of the lend lease stuff have their own country's pilots and equipment, but probably not a priority for the developers. My favourite would be for the p40 to have contemporary western engine limits (it's exactly the same engine) or the limits the VVS pilots practically adhered to. The current limits are barely above what a warbird would be using today.

8 minutes ago, ww2fighter20 said:

Any chance we would be able to carry British bombs?

The dev diary mentions it being appropriate for the Western front, so I imagine we will at least get some RP-3s, as they are already modelled for the Spitfire

2 hours ago, Han said:

It finally snows in Moscow while we continue the work on the new aircraft.

Well, all things have the good and the bad. Depending on the amount of snow (like Canada east coast right now) this means:

The BAD: Sadly you and your team can't drive home after your work and alas, you have to stay and camp in your office.

The GOOD: Since you cannot go home and you're stuck in your office, you will have plenty of time to continue working

and catch-up some time in the development of more amazing content.

Sorry, just kidding - the collector's planes look fantastic. Thank you for your work and for sharing your passion with us.

Cheerio

Nice developing about the Hurry...sure it will be a great add on in IL2 GB..👍

Players, holding their caps in their hands: "Please, sir, wot modifications of the Hurricane will we be gettin'?
Developers, arms filled with almost a half dozen gloriously hunchbacked fighters "ALL OF THEM!!!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

"It finally snows in Moscow while we continue the work on the new aircraft"

I envy you all people, I imagine looking through the window watching the snow falling in one of the most beautiful and iconic cities in the world... then going back to work on the sim we all love.

I would give one of my lung for a "job-exchange" 😄

It sure looks beautiful. Hey wait: suitable for both the eastern and western fronts? I mean, I make no objection in fighting in a Hurricane against a ME262, but the sentence seems to hint to a possible early 40s scenario. 

EDIT: only just now I saw the earlier posts commenting on the later use of the Hurricane. Hehehe it will be cool to fly such an early plane in a late-war ambiance. 

Edited by danielprates

Just now, danielprates said:

It sure looks beautiful. Hey wait: suitable for both the eastern and western fronts? I mean, I make no objection in fighting in a Hurricane against a ME262, but the sentence seems to hint to a possible early 40s scenario. 

With the Normandy map, earlier scenarios for 1942-43 are possible, and I believe the intent is/was to produce a pre-invasion and post-invasion map in part to facilitate the cross channel battles of the mid-war period. With a Spit VB and a Hurricane Mk. II and a few of the light and medium bombers we should have available, we should be able to simulate Rhubarbs and the like.

Sweet more allied planes with multiple variants. Meanwhile the axis is stuck with the most vanilla versions of some of the most versitile planes of the war.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, danielprates said:

early 40s scenario. 

More like 42/43 with the MkII... So hope you know how to fight against Focke Wulfs A-3 and A-5 :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Obelix said:

Good news indeed 

5 versions!! Thanks

👍

Love the Hurricane, got to stand right behind one (like, 3 or 4 metres) when it was starting up once and the smell of petrol, the glorious noise of the Merlin, and the blast from the propwash was incredible. I'm really looking forward to this! 

what a beautiful aircraft!

Also, I like the fact the initial renders are in dark metal color vs. the greens we've seen for so many years !

Old, slow, ugly-ish, and utterly wonderful! Thankyou for all of the versions, absolutely brilliant news. Looking forward to it immensely.

Cheers. :salute:

Squadron Leader Canfield approves this message!

• Haha 1

Fantastic rendition of the beautiful ugly old Hurricane, plus a great set of variants! Thanks

Given that we have so many Soviet theatres I feel that Soviet variants should be prioritised...

So, I would humbly suggest a lighter 'dogfighter' field mod with only 4xUB or 2xShVAK (as historically existed) should be added.

It might take less labour - and I would be quite happy to see such an option replace the IID (and have the IID sold as a separate aircraft - as with the Yak-9T).

• Upvote 1

Beautiful beautiful Hurricane! Thank you so much for this.

I can't wait to get my hands on that iconic IIA.

The armament options represented here make the Hurricane 5-planes-in-1, and offer a very wide range of Historical deployment options.

Thank you for your outstanding work. :salute:

_________

image.thumb.png.40cb3d97c314d9296c48b43ab23ed50f.png

Digging into my screenie collection, I found this home made skin; a Hurricane II over Lenningrad, sporting local armament conversion (September 2003). Now the future will out-shine the past.

• Upvote 1

What modifications we could expect on Yak-9s ? will you maybe add mods that make Yak-9 into Yak-9D or more complex Yak-9B, or in case of Yak-9T mods that turn it in Yak-9M as they are similar. It would be good for MP variety if posible to implement.

• Upvote 2

You could attach four 20 mm Hispanos to a hang glider and I'd still fly it. :biggrin:

Nice work development team!

5 hours ago, Soilworker said:

Hmmm, tempted to get the Hurricane now... 🤔

Same.... It's just so ugly though

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, pfrances said:

Same.... It's just so ugly though

You know the old song?

You wanna be happy for the rest of the game,
get an ugly hurricane as your plane

• Haha 1

Excellent work on the Hurricane guys, always was my favourite fighter aircraft and with so many variants has been flown in all kinds of missions in the old game so to have it here finally will be a real thrill to do all those things anew.;)

Thank you very much for the update, really appreciated.:drinks:

Do not worry about the snow too much, I am sure you will all find a bar close by the office to get stranded in tonight, give a thought for poor Jason all on his own with all that sunshine.:lol:

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Edited by Missionbug

6 hours ago, Han said:

Hurricane Mk.IIb: the number of MGs has been increased to 12;

Needs more dakka! 

But on a serious note: effectively 5 different Hurricane variants, that's quite a few! I look forward to playing with them in the future!

3 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

With the Normandy map, earlier scenarios for 1942-43 are possible, and I believe the intent is/was to produce a pre-invasion and post-invasion map in part to facilitate the cross channel battles of the mid-war period. With a Spit VB and a Hurricane Mk. II and a few of the light and medium bombers we should have available, we should be able to simulate Rhubarbs and the like.

Going to take full advantage of that.  1942 - 1945 on the western front.  Spit V, Hurricane II, Me109F, FW190 A3.  Transition to Spitfire IX, Typhoon, 190 A5/A6 and 109 G2, 4, and 6.  Later we get razorback P47s- might be the wrong version but they will as soon as reasonable.  Get the Mustang in there.  Focus on cross channel raids and intercepts.  Relatively sparse activity to keep the campaign moving but still potentially 100+ missions before Normandy.  Then Normandy and end of war.

German pilots moving between east and west.  British flying 1942-1945.  Americans 1943-1945.  

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, HerrBree said:

Sweet more allied planes with multiple variants. Meanwhile the axis is stuck with the most vanilla versions of some of the most versitile planes of the war.

You serious? The Axis has nearly every major 109 variant with plenty of different modifications to choose from and they'll be getting drop tanks eventually. Germans certainly aren't lacking in anything fighter wise maybe even bomber wise.

The Hurricane is a collector plane, there's a reason it's being made with so many options.

• Upvote 7

4 hours ago, ACG_Alexmarine said:

More like 42/43 with the MkII... So hope you know how to fight against Focke Wulfs A-3 and A-5 :rolleyes:

Lots of anti-shipping patrols along the French coast in 41-42 for cannon armed Hurricanes so yes, the potential is there.

Oh yeah, gratuitous Hurri pic too:salute:

IMG-1474.jpg

Edited by DD_Arthur
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

That would grand wouldn't it?

Some maps are only relevant for a timeframe of a few months, but the channel map indeed can hold a lot of different scenarios. What potential!

Do I know how to fight Focke Wulfs in a Hurricane? LOL No, I expect to be mincemeat. But going against me in a hurricane with you a Focke Wulf it  will be like wrestling a pig - you'll get muddy even if you win and the pig will enjoy it regardless.

Well... that is the reason why I mentioned the 2xShVAK (or 2xUB variant)... survivability and if I'm honest I tend to feel guilty about having too much ammo when flying lend-lease planes :)

But some of the use in 1942 was as intruders at night... slipping across the channel to strafe (e.g. the exploits of Karel Kuttelwascher and others)... I bet the Hurricane will be hard to catch in a Ju-88C6 😄 So the Hurricanes might do quite well.

5 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

All we need is a map of Hong Kong or Singapore, a Brewster, some Zekes, Val's, and a Japanese twin engine bomber of one flavor or another...

And while they're at it, they can make us an early P40 too.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

• Thanks 1