Sign in to follow this  
Freycinet

Which airfield is this?

Hi guys,

I'm helping out with some research concerning an RAF pilot who flew with 331 Sqn ("For Norge"). This recce shot of an airfield is in his private photo album. Can any of you identify it?

(I'm guessing its a German airfield in Occupied Western Europe, partly due to the camouflage, partly due to the bomb craters, and also due to 331 Sqn's operations but I could be totally wrong.)

If you have positive I.D. or a qualified guess it would be great to see some photos substantiating it.

Thanks!

62.JPG

On 1/23/2020 at 8:33 PM, Freycinet said:

Hi guys,

I'm helping out with some research concerning an RAF pilot who flew with 331 Sqn ("For Norge"). This recce shot of an airfield is in his private photo album. Can any of you identify it?

(I'm guessing its a German airfield in Occupied Western Europe, partly due to the camouflage, partly due to the bomb craters, and also due to 331 Sqn's operations but I could be totally wrong.)

If you have positive I.D. or a qualified guess it would be great to see some photos substantiating it.

It looks like RAF North Weald.  There is a photograph taken in 1941 in a book I have, Battle of Britain Then & Now, which compares with it particularly the camouflage and hanger layout.  Interestingly, 331 Sqadron were based there in '42 and '44. 

Edited by Jabo_68*
typo
  • Like 1

Ah, well done guys! - Yes, I should have guessed that :-)

Thanks so much!