Sign in to follow this  
ACG_HardeKoning

Joystick purchase advice

So the sensors on my good old Logitech extreme 3D pro are giving out and I'm in need of a new stick. 

I'm no rich guy so shelling out 100+ euros on a stick is out of the option, pedals are also not an option, just too expensive.

Does anyone have any recommendations that aren't the t16000m? Or is it really worth spending the extra 40 euros for a vkb gladiator mk.II?

I'd love to hear some recommendations and thanks in advance for any replies.

Best buy in this price range is VKB Gladiator Mk.II - €77,69 (VKB EU)

Contacless sensor in X, Y and twist rudder axis.

Throttle disk on left side  (conventinal pot)

16 buttons, plus POV HAT

Grip - a KG-12A (Bf 109 grip) lookalike has only 3 buttons, but one being "shift" allow you use more 6 virtual buttons, 2 in top button and trigger and 4 in HAT.

Their only CON is the POV HAT placement, is the "button" on left side, not much ergonomic but is usable.

Another nice feature, (optionally) can upgrade their grip for VKB SGC Kosmosima grip, whit an adapter kit.

Edited by Sokol1

In my country I have to pay €100 for the VKB gladiator all included, so any additional grips would be out of the question. 

Pity, but not a problem. You would be perfectly fine with KG12.

I second Sokol, to my knowledge it's the best choice in this range.

2 hours ago, ACG_HardeKoning said:

So the sensors on my good old Logitech extreme 3D pro are giving out

Provided you're not a technophobe, the 3D Pro can be converted to Hall sensors. Just search on it.

4 hours ago, ACG_HardeKoning said:

In my country I have to pay €100 for the VKB gladiator all included, so any additional grips would be out of the question. 

You have luck, if I order this stick from VKB EU, I have to pay more 105% of local fees above price plus shipping cost , will end costing more than €200. 😩

Bellow Gladiator Mk.II  the only option that worth buy is Thrustmaster T.16000M, because use contactless hall  Hall sensor in X and Y axis, but conventional potentiometer (like you 3D PRO) in twist axis and axis is the first thing to goes south (I have only and after 6 mounts of moderate use twist became spike).

Google for: "reddit/hotas t.16000m twist issue"

Anyway cost around ~$60 (Amazon.com price).

I use the Gladiator Mk.II for almost all my flying games. It's well worth the high shipping costs. I used to use my Logitech 3d Pro for flying, but as others have mentioned, the twist gets to go on it after a while. No regrets buying the Mk.II.

3 hours ago, Sokol1 said:

Bellow Gladiator Mk.II  the only option that worth buy is Thrustmaster T.16000M, because use contactless hall  Hall sensor in X and Y axis, but conventional potentiometer (like you 3D PRO) in twist axis and axis is the first thing to goes south (I have only and after 6 mounts of moderate use twist became spike).

Even when the T.16000M's twist axis is working properly, it has an un-removeable deadzone around the central position, which (according to my measurements) accounts for around 12% of the total movement. This means that precision yawing around the centre position is impossible.  The Thrustmaster 3D Pro also has a central deadzone accounting for about 7% of total movement.

thanks for the replies everyone, and since the yaw sensor is the one that went bananas on my 3D pro I will refrain from buying the T.16000M. Instead I have opted for spending an extra €40 on the VKB gladiator mkII instead.

Edited by ACG_HardeKoning

Once you get the Mk.II and enjoy using it, you'll be like me and think "Now I need a good set of rudder pedals" and end up buying VKB's Mk.IV as I did. They are expensive, but the build quality is excellent. I also thought too expensive, but I bit the bullet and I'm glad I did.

VKB T-Rudders Mk.IV

Edited by WallysWorld